Hi again,

Quick question to the experts.

I have noticed quite a few occasions tonight that my Z10 gets a sudden popup saying "Cell Broadcast" and then followed by "85%60%". Always two precentages. Now, a few questions.

First and foremost. Is it an important function?
    Then, can I mute, or turn it off? Not looking forward to it waking me up through the night. Though it does appear only to popup when used.

I am in South Africa if that is any help at all.

F
    02-26-13 04:43 PM
    02-26-13 05:15 PM
    But it didn't happen over night. It only appears to happen when I am actually using the phone. Will phone my network after work.
    02-26-13 11:32 PM
    You can shut it off, your phone will still work.. you just won't be able to receive any emergency broadcast messages.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-26-13 11:33 PM
    How do I shut it off? Or at least mute it? I'm not sure what it means in SA though. The body of the message is stuff like 25%10%. could be rain lol.
    02-27-13 09:42 AM
    YO! i Finally figured this thing out! Im also in SA btw, and this is how to switch the mobile broadcast (Stupid pop-up thingy that annoys the daylights out of you) off...

1. go to text messages
    2. select options
    3. select 'Mobile broadcast'
    4. swing the switch to 'off' and voila!

I've beeeeeeeeeeen hustling lol.

Hope I could help
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-27-13 05:19 PM
    How do you access "options" in text messages?
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-03-13 03:52 AM
    I found it in hub settings, go into hub, press 3 dot key (what's it really called?), select settings, there it is

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 04:18 AM
    Okay mine is now at 65% 85% ... It no longer wants to go away when I hit the dismiss option??? What do I do???
    03-05-13 11:53 PM
    Whew! thanks a million, this thing was seriously annoying
    03-06-13 02:22 AM
    press 3 dot key (what's it really called?)
    Posted via CB10
    I think it's called "action key"
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-06-13 02:33 AM
    Sorted - thanks - very irritating - probably uses up battery?
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-06-13 10:02 AM
    Sorted - thanks - very irritating - probably uses up battery?
    No, not really. Just like receiving a text message.
    03-06-13 10:05 AM
    On Saturday I received an Amber Alert for an abducted child in the area I was driving, with description of the car and a plate number, with contact info. This is something I like to see, as I travel many miles and have been trying to get support for this kind of thing.
    03-06-13 10:08 AM
    I think it's called "action key"
    I've seen it referred to as the "overflow" menu, as it accesses the menu items that have been omitted from the main screen cuz they wouldn't fit there, so those other options flow over to the background...

Or we could just call it the ellipsis, which is the real word for "3 dots in a row that represent something omitted".
    03-06-13 10:15 AM
    On Saturday I received an Amber Alert for an abducted child in the area I was driving, with description of the car and a plate number, with contact info. This is something I like to see, as I travel many miles and have been trying to get support for this kind of thing.
    Since "cell broadcast" was set up here a few years ago, I've only had a few of them. They are usually something urgent where the authorities are asking people to be aware of something critical.

Why anyone would want to turn this feature off is beyond me... unless the system is generating a bunch of annoying irrelevant error messages. It's not supposed to work that way. It would be a more responsible citizen who might contact the officials in charge of the system and notify them that this problem exists. They can probably fix it so more people will be alerted in an emergency and fewer people will turn the feature off.
    03-06-13 10:20 AM
    It's a personal thing thought, isn't it?

Personally I don't want to receive a broadcast telling me the N Koreans have kindly despatched 200 ICBMS my way. I'd like to finish my pint of frothing ale in peace - before my a*s is fried.

So, I tried to turn it off, but I keep getting the error message "Failed To Toggle CBS State - Radio Failure"

Any ideas people?
    09-08-13 10:35 AM
    Interesting thread. Never knew what it was either so I figured maybe I should subscribe to the local alerts for Alberta.
    The website says,"If you do not have a Twitter account, but use text messaging on your phone:
    Text to 21212
    Message to text: �Follow AB_EmergAlert�
    You will now receive notification of critical alerts only."

So my question is how to I send a text to 21212 as the z10 doesn't recognize it as a real phone #?
    09-09-13 08:18 AM
    Interesting thread. Never knew what it was either so I figured maybe I should subscribe to the local alerts for Alberta.
    The website says,"If you do not have a Twitter account, but use text messaging on your phone:
    Text to 21212
    Message to text: �Follow AB_EmergAlert�
    You will now receive notification of critical alerts only."

So my question is how to I send a text to 21212 as the z10 doesn't recognize it as a real phone #?
    Just go ahead and enter 21212 into the address area for a new text message, enter the "follow etc" and press send.

It'll just go.

Posted via CB10
    Boight likes this.
    09-09-13 09:30 AM
    Thank Patrick. Got it..
    09-10-13 04:44 PM
    I found it in hub settings, go into hub, press 3 dot key (what's it really called?), select settings, there it is

Posted via CB10
    Overflow (3 dots)

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 06:53 PM
    I have followed all the advises, in my blackberry Q5, when I disable mobile broadcast it gives me an error page that says, " Failed to toggle CBS state - Radio failure". Please help me I don't enjoy my smart phone anymore.
    10-17-14 12:39 AM
    Maybe authorities is your area somehow forced Cell broadcast to be on. If switching it of doesn't work try removing codes listed and turning off languages.
    Every "Topic" has its own code.
    In my country 010 was weather, 012 was horoscope, etc.
    The less codes you have, the less messages will you get. Or try disabling your language and turn on something like Icelandic (or some language not used in your country).

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:36 PM
    In the end, try calling your carrier and explain problem to them.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:37 PM
    Many thanks for the help, sadly I have tried all the tactics you have suggested and unfortunately it does not bring changes, because it still says, " Failed to toggle CBS state - Radio failure". I'm living in South Africa and my network is MTN-SA. my phone is Blackberry Q5. I will appreciate further assistance to better my situation, I have removed all the codes in BB Hub and chose different languages that are not used in South Africa.
    10-20-14 03:39 AM
27 12