The main post on the home page seems to have focused on what blackberry should could would have done. Can someone explain what we can expect with Wifi Direct. You have to think more functionality is better than less - how will our computing lives be improved?

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 08:38 PM
    From wikipedia

Wi-Fi Direct, initially called Wi-Fi P2P, is a Wi-Fi standard that enables devices to connect easily with each other without requiring a wireless access point[2] and to communicate at typical Wi-Fi speeds[3]for everything from file transfer to Internet connectivity.[4][5] One advantage of Wi-Fi Direct is the ability to connect devices even if they are from different manufacturers. Only one of the Wi-Fi devices needs to be compliant with Wi-Fi Direct to establish a peer-to-peer connection that transfers data directly between each other with greatly reduced setup. Wi-Fi Direct negotiates the link with a Wi-Fi Protected Setupsystem that assigns each device a limited wireless access point. The "pairing" of Wi-Fi Direct devices can be set up to require the proximity of a near field communication, a Bluetooth signal, or a button press on one or all the devices. Wi-Fi Direct may not only replace the need for routers, but may also replace the need of Bluetooth for applications that don't rely on low energy.[6]
    one of the basic features is file transfer between 2 people. They use NFC to setup the connection and then Wifi direct to finish the transfer at much higher rate of speed than bluetooth
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-14-13 08:50 PM
    Is it correct to say that mirroring is not possible with just wi-fi direct?

Superficial Internet research by a non-techie(me) suggests that Miracast is a layer on top of wifi direct to enable mirroring.

Does that seem correct?

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 11:32 PM
    I wonder if Internet access can be shared this way. BT has less bandwidth

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 11:37 PM
    Is it correct to say that mirroring is not possible with just wi-fi direct?

Superficial Internet research by a non-techie(me) suggests that Miracast is a layer on top of wifi direct to enable mirroring.

Does that seem correct?

Posted via CB10
    That does seem correct
    dusdal likes this.
    08-14-13 11:40 PM
    That does seem correct
    Well that sucks. I dont have the tv that can allow that anyway but I still remember seeing their first video of what bb10 maybe like. It showed us of a girl pushing over her video from her phone onto the tv.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 12:13 AM
    Well that sucks. I dont have the tv that can allow that anyway but I still remember seeing their first video of what bb10 maybe like. It showed us of a girl pushing over her video from her phone onto the tv.

Posted via CB10
    Haha, the old tat videos? I'd like to see ANYTHING from any of those videos... That would be sweeeet
    08-15-13 12:23 AM
    Using wifi direct with my Samsung Smart tv. Playing videos, movies etc. from the Z10.
    08-16-13 09:12 AM
    Using wifi direct with my Samsung Smart tv. Playing videos, movies etc. from the Z10.
    yes it has DLNA
    08-16-13 04:39 PM
    I'm on 1047 and I don't see wifi direct at all on my phone. I did when I was using a 10.2.4xxx wu-wei hybrid under the wifi section of network connections.

I got a new TV last week so I wanna try our the feature since I know I can. Any ideas? I've only seen screen shots of the Q10 having this along with Miracast

Thanks all for your help!

Sent via Z10 on Verizon running .1047 thru CB10
    08-16-13 05:00 PM
    It would be nice if we could pair two phones together to be able to play music on both devices at the same time like the Galaxy S4

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 08:12 PM
    Yeah, I am also on 1047 and i don't know how to use it with my Sony tv which has wifi direct. All I can do is play videos or photos using the PLAY ON feature but that uses a Hotspot and us pretty slow. Anyone please explain how to use wifi direct on my BlackBerry Z10.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 09:50 PM
    Yeah, I am also on 1047 and i don't know how to use it with my Sony tv which has wifi direct. All I can do is play videos or photos using the PLAY ON feature but that uses a Hotspot and us pretty slow. Anyone please explain how to use wifi direct on my BlackBerry Z10.

Posted via CB10
    There's no wifi where you live?
    Also, direct is not available on this build.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    Amit Oberoi and SteelGreek like this.
    08-16-13 10:05 PM
    There's no wifi where you live?
    Also, direct is not available on this build.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    :-) there is wifi at my home but playing thru the Hotspot is pretty slow process and more often than not the video is jerky. Thanks for answering my question though.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 02:53 AM