Clumsy person knocked my new Z10 out of my hand with her purse sending it spinning across the way, landed face down and...cracking the screen. It's not toooo bad as far as cracks go but omg the sacrilege! I paid full price and somehow verizon is claiming I cancelled insurance?? As if! So no more Z10 for me, back to iPhone 5...for now. I was considering a Q10 but apparently the BlackBerry gods wanted to make sure lol. Hurry up Verizon and let's get this going again!!

Just a rant. Actually the only constructive thing I can say here is to confirm a post I read about the screen: ANY crack on the screen renders it useless. I can't do anything: the screen is completely unresponsive though the phone itself seems to be operating normally.

I dunno how much a screen/glass replacement would be but that's not only a PITA but it's never quite the same afterwards. May as well just save my time and money and put it towards a Q10 when it finally arrives in the US.

Well I'm out...-imageuploadedbycb-forums1369104043.799194.jpg
    richardat likes this.
    05-20-13 09:40 PM
    Definitely hang on to it or sell it because someone will want to fix it up. Traditionally, BlackBerrys are much easier to work on than other devices
    05-20-13 09:46 PM
    Ouch. Sucks to see this happen and verizon claiming you cancelled insurance. What's up with that? Insurance is a must with this phone, especially when you opt to use it without a protective case. I know it is really sexy without a case but i've always been able to find one i like. Sorry to hear this. Hope you enjoy your Q10 when you get it. And slap a case on it although I don't think you have to worry with the Q10 as much. So sad.
    richardat likes this.
    05-20-13 09:47 PM
    There's a thread on replacing the chassis, which also involves replacing the screen. It looks doable. I would only attempt it if I had nothing to lose.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 09:49 PM
    Definitely hang on to it or sell it because someone will want to fix it up. Traditionally, BlackBerrys are much easier to work on than other devices
    Thats their problem!
    05-20-13 09:49 PM
    Clumsy person knocked my new Z10 out of my hand with her purse sending it spinning across the way, landed face down and...cracking the screen. It's not toooo bad as far as cracks go but omg the sacrilege! I paid full price and somehow verizon is claiming I cancelled insurance?? As if! So no more Z10 for me, back to iPhone 5...for now. I was considering a Q10 but apparently the BlackBerry gods wanted to make sure lol. Hurry up Verizon and let's get this going again!!

Just a rant. Actually the only constructive thing I can say here is to confirm a post I read about the screen: ANY crack on the screen renders it useless. I can't do anything: the screen is completely unresponsive though the phone itself seems to be operating normally.

I dunno how much a screen/glass replacement would be but that's not only a PITA but it's never quite the same afterwards. May as well just save my time and money and put it towards a Q10 when it finally arrives in the US.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1369104043.799194.jpg 
Views:	4876 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	163716
    Really sorry to see that happen to you! Keep the spirits up and remember: try not to swipe up, or peek while using the iphone . Seriously, really sorry for you. As you said, maybe it was the BB Gods playing you a trick. Maybe you can even win one in a CB contest soon! (I think they just launched one these days on a q10..?? check out the blog posts).

Hope to see you back with your Q10 soon man. (BTW, have a look at that screen replacement, it may not be as bad as you think!).

PS: what happened to the "clumsy person"? ... maybe she could pay for your repair no...?
    05-20-13 09:50 PM
    Mine fell out a Window onto concrete and only the battery cover broke. I can also play music loud now for some reason. Weird!

itsSkrilla
    tranquilo, eldricho and Bobert_123 like this.
    05-20-13 09:51 PM
    Verizon claimed I cancelled my insurance last year, then after switching to tmo to get a a Z when my torch became unusable, they sent me a new one under the "extended warranty" I never had on my account.
    05-20-13 09:54 PM
    I have a case for it but just don't like the feel of it. I'm EXTREMELY careful/protective of my electronics. I've never damaged a phone before, ever. In this case I was leaning against a wall reading CrackBerry (irony anyone?) when all of a sudden a purse strap hits my hand then snaps and flings my phone away. There was a good 10 feet between the walls...she just wasn't paying attention and nearly ran right into me (I wish she had...I can take a bump without shattering lol).

I guess it's like driving a car: no matter how careful and responsible you are the greatest danger is the OTHER drivers.

I didn't know about the Q10 when I bought the Z...I, along with many others, had long since left and pretty much forgot about BlackBerry. I was so excited when I saw the Z10 I bought it on the spot, full price (I'm keeping my unlimited data thank you very much). Although I really enjoyed the larger screen I still missed the BB keyboard so was considering (translation: geek will buy anyway with whatever rationalization I can come up with lol) getting the Q10 anyway. Just didn't want things to go down like this :/

Thanks for the tip: I'll do a search for the fix-it guy(s) and see what the damage is. I wonder what the differential sale value would be were I to try and sell the Z in it's current state (vs the cost to fix it first)?
    05-20-13 10:00 PM
    Mine fell out a Window onto concrete and only the battery cover broke. I can also play music loud now for some reason. Weird!

itsSkrilla
    lmao that made my day, thanks

Seems you actually benefitted from a drop lol. I wouldn't try your luck again though
    05-20-13 10:03 PM
    That's rough man, sorry about that. Its rough when you try and take care of stuff and someone else causes damage to it.
    tranquilo likes this.
    05-20-13 10:09 PM
    ...try not to swipe up, or peek while using the iphone ...

PS: what happened to the "clumsy person"? ... maybe she could pay for your repair no...?
    Ha I was already getting frustrated every time I picked up the iPhone when it wouldn't unlock or swipe out of my apps lol. I've had iPhones since the 3G (2008??) after having gone through 5 Tours in a matter of weeks. I tell ya the iPhone is an amazing piece of electronics BUT after using my poor Z10 for a mere week n a half before its untimely death it's a real eye opener: the Z10 (and Q10) have really leapfrogged and set the new standard. I miss it already :'( lol

And the...person...she was in shock (as much that she did it as all the rather loud expletives streaming from my gullet) and honestly I felt sorry. Although it WAS her fault she didn't mean it and she looked about in tears. I'm not an bleep I was more in shock and upset that I had a broken Z10 in my hand than anything. I just left.
    trynacu2 and Eric Shapiro like this.
    05-20-13 10:12 PM
    So sad
    Just sale it and wait for Q10 instead

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 10:15 PM
    Clumsy person ????

I don't think the problem here is a phone. Too bad she missed.
    Ask her if she needs help.
    rick0415 likes this.
    05-20-13 10:16 PM
    I'd throw it away. Brand new in box sell for 390. Or Keep it as a reminder

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by z10fido; 05-20-13 at 10:30 PM.
    05-20-13 10:18 PM
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to just replace the screen? I've seen shops advertise screen replacements for under $100.
    05-20-13 10:19 PM
    Damn that sucks..

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    05-20-13 10:24 PM
    Clumsy person ????

Yes, clumsy. Through her absentmindedness I now have a broken phone. There was a large amount of room and absolutely no reason for her to be running into me, stationary against a wall.

Too bad she missed what? You mean "Too bad she didn't miss." And yes, that would have been preferred. Thank you.
    05-20-13 10:28 PM
    Ha I was already getting frustrated every time I picked up the iPhone when it wouldn't unlock or swipe out of my apps lol. I've had iPhones since the 3G (2008??) after having gone through 5 Tours in a matter of weeks. I tell ya the iPhone is an amazing piece of electronics BUT after using my poor Z10 for a mere week n a half before its untimely death it's a real eye opener: the Z10 (and Q10) have really leapfrogged and set the new standard. I miss it already :'( lol

And the...person...she was in shock (as much that she did it as all the rather loud expletives streaming from my gullet) and honestly I felt sorry. Although it WAS her fault she didn't mean it and she looked about in tears. I'm not an bleep I was more in shock and upset that I had a broken Z10 in my hand than anything. I just left.
    I know about trying to swipe on no bb10 as I did the same (even tried it on my torch hahahah). I phones are not my cup of tea so to speak, but I do admit they are very nice phones if you like how they are setup, not for me though.

Well she clearly did not mean it but being honest with you, had I done that to someone (can happen to all of us let's be real) I would worry and act towards somehow making it right (e.g offer paying for the repair or something). Not saying she was a bad person at all, only that not trying to make it up to you (to which you could say no as a perfect gent) is somehow not cool from.where I see it.

Anyway, do have a look on fixing this baby Z, it deserves to keep moving

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 10:29 PM
    I'd throw it away. Brand new in box sell for 390. Keep it as a reminder

Posted via CB10
    Huh?

Sent from my LT30p using CB Forums mobile app
    NightSlayer likes this.
    05-20-13 10:30 PM
    My English is impossible

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 10:31 PM
    Now this brings up a question I've had. I know the way the Z10 screen is designed so it can adapt to you typing style causes it to become unusable after a crack. The Q10 doesn't need to be able to adapt because of the physical keyboard, so is the Q10 screen made in a normal way where if the glass cracks the digitizer will still be able to recognize your touch, or is it still made all in one like the Z10 where if it cracks it's done?
    05-20-13 10:35 PM
    Clumsy person ????

I am sorry but I do not see how being responsible for destroying a persons +$500 phone and not offering to contribute towards a replacement when it has been your fault, makes you a legit responsible person...?

Clearly she does not need any help...or maybe then again, in being socially integrated in a responsible manner she might indeed need some.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 10:36 PM
    I'd throw it away. Brand new in box sell for 390. Or Keep it as a reminder

Posted via CB10
    Why on earth would I do that? At the least I guarantee someone would buy it as-is though honestly I've no idea what I could sell it for in its current state. I'll be looking at the cost of repair + selling vs selling as is to determine the best course of action. Either way it's getting sold as this has pretty much cemented my thoughts of getting a Q10.
    05-20-13 10:37 PM
    Now this brings up a question I've had. I know the way the Z10 screen is designed so it can adapt to you typing style causes it to become unusable after a crack. The Q10 doesn't need to be able to adapt because of the physical keyboard, so is the Q10 screen made in a normal way where if the glass cracks the digitizer will still be able to recognize your touch, or is it still made all in one like the Z10 where if it cracks it's done?
    One way to know that is if the op gets to sit in the exact same spot reading cb on his q waiting for the same woman to pass by but I HIGHLY hope and wish this never happens (her getting to slap the Q10 off his hand that is)

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 10:38 PM
91 123 ...