Saw this on Mashable. Pretty cute.

http://mashable.com/2013/01/30/blackberry-10-first-time

When my friends have picked up my z10 they look for a button, can't find one and then give it back. But I know they aren't in the market to get new phones or switch to blackberry so I don't push them to figure it out. (plus we're usually getting together to hang out with each other...not our devices)

But in the future when we're just relaxing I'd love to present it to them as a light hearted challenge the way Mashable did. And perhaps carrier trainings should teach a similar approach.

When people go to buy smartphones its already a stressful situation. You're making a decision and dropping dollars on something you'll have to live with for a few years. But it's like going to buy a car without learning how to drive first if you're going to an all new platform or device. I don't know any driving instructors who put their students in the car and just say "Now Go". There's always a "Let's get comfortable with the Vehicle" talk first. That's what this brought to mind for me.

Posted via CB10
    BB10fanatic likes this.
    04-23-13 09:45 AM
    I don't see the confusion. If you press the power button on the top of the phone, the screen turns on. Then when you touch the screen anywhere, it shows arrows moving from the bottom of the screen upwards.

I would be embarrassed for someone if they couldn't figure it out. Heck, my iphone loving wife figured it out on her own in a matter of seconds without any clues.

Posted via Z10
    04-23-13 10:04 AM
    I figured BB10 out rather quickly. I also watched MANY videos on YouTube about it before I upgraded. If you do your homework, you'll get an understanding of the software and flip through it when it's in your hands.

On a side note, my gf struggled to figure out how to use my z10 and I thought it was pretty funny.

Posted via CB10
    moyjoy likes this.
    04-23-13 11:11 AM
    When my friends have picked up my z10 they look for a button, can't find one and then give it back.
    Posted via CB10
    Face facts...Apple has brainwashed the masses so these people think in terms of "the Apple experience". I have only pity for them.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    04-23-13 11:15 AM
    I don't see the confusion. If you press the power button on the top of the phone, the screen turns on. Then when you touch the screen anywhere, it shows arrows moving from the bottom of the screen upwards.
    Posted via Z10
    Its not that straight forward. When you press the power button on top the screen turns on yes, but if you didn't know better you'd think it was the home screen; especially if you have notifications and calendar events on it. And it take a few taps before the arrows activate.

Also some people's first reaction would be to tap where the arrows are pointing. Not to swipe up.
    04-23-13 12:19 PM
    Face facts...Apple has brainwashed the masses so these people think in terms of "the Apple experience". I have only pity for them.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    To me, iPhone users remind me of AOL users. Just saying...
    bitek, duckduke, colemsco and 3 others like this.
    04-23-13 12:44 PM
    I learned touch tech on Playbook.

The only exerience I've had on an i device or android much is in the last 2-3 weeks helping my son and wife with ISSUES THEY WERE HAVING on their phones. Actually glad I spent some time on their devices so I could learn the differences (until a year ago they had both been on BB for several years). I would have never made it home on the iphone without everyone here talking about the "home button".

Aside from Blackberry ........ on other smartphones I'm a clutz!!
    moyjoy likes this.
    04-23-13 01:25 PM
    what is so confusing. store reps are to explain how the phone works.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    04-23-13 01:37 PM
    Watch me try to use a iPhone after using my z10 for a month and you will laugh. I swipe and swipe and nothing!

Posted via CB10
    Smartie020 likes this.
    04-23-13 01:39 PM
    Watch me try to use a iPhone after using my z10 for a month and you will laugh. I swipe and swipe and nothing!

Posted via CB10
    Haha, love it!

Posted via Naked BlackBerry Z10
    04-23-13 01:42 PM
    Didn't watch the whole video.. but I take it the individuals trying to figure it out finally did and are now out buying the z10 for its cool and unique UI
    moyjoy likes this.
    04-23-13 02:05 PM
    Its not that straight forward. When you press the power button on top the screen turns on yes, but if you didn't know better you'd think it was the home screen; especially if you have notifications and calendar events on it. And it take a few taps before the arrows activate.

Also some people's first reaction would be to tap where the arrows are pointing. Not to swipe up.
    I don't know. If you touch the arrows, the screen starts to clear. It's pretty obvious that you should swipe up at this point. Also, pretty much all Android devices require a similar gesture to unlock the phone.
    While it's not obvious how to unlock, it is easy enough to be able to figure it out quickly.

Posted via Z10
    04-23-13 02:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    LOL! I had my iPhone 5 and Z10 for a week and I swiped the iPhone every time.

For the record I don't hate that there is a learning curve for the BlackBerry which is why I enjoyed the Mashable video. It's what makes the distinction between innovation from just new model.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    04-23-13 02:33 PM
    To me, iPhone users remind me of AOL users. Just saying...
    My mom still uses the AOL program. Lol! I have AOL but just the e-mail.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    04-23-13 03:32 PM
    I still try to swipe at my laptop sometimes. Even tap an icon with my finger.

Embarrassing! unless you are alone then just worth an LOL!

CB10 App, Z10
    IqWaN likes this.
    04-23-13 03:49 PM
    I've handed it to quite a few people for the first time, and they all figured it out pretty quickly. Although they usually press the unlock button at the top instead of swiping to unlock, they still manage to get the hang of navigating the phone within a few minutes.
    04-23-13 03:52 PM
    Ive let several people check out my z10 and i always hand it to them with the screen dark... all of them have figured it out with no input from me, even when they ask... most say its just like the iphone until i swipe them over to the hub and show them the keyboard

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 04:07 PM
    The thing I like about this phone, is once you learn to "swipe up", everything, and i mean literally EVERYTHING, is right where I would expect it to be. It's so f'ing simple. I've not had to google ANYTHING to search for how to do anything, it's like it's built specifically to me. Tailor made to my abilities. Still can't get over it.
    04-23-13 04:09 PM
    My favorites are the friends who comment on the size and I just smile and say "Feels like a big girl phone doesn't It?" and they have to agree. Not too big. Not too small. Juuuuuust right.

Posted via CB10
    ErinnM likes this.
    04-23-13 06:11 PM
    I agree with you on this one. Apple users are brainwashed
    04-23-13 06:38 PM
    My favorites are the friends who comment on the size and I just smile and say "Feels like a big girl phone doesn't It?" and they have to agree. Not too big. Not too small. Juuuuuust right.

Posted via CB10
    haha way to go dummy you need to get the galaxy s44652 with a 789 inch screen and it even comes with a truck to haul it around with it and it only cost 77,000,000 dollars, which is more than your stupid blackberry z10 and blackberry sucks yo check out my cool green robot that is the logo on my phone

in case you guys can't figure out if that's serious or not....
    04-23-13 06:56 PM
    haha way to go dummy you need to get the galaxy s44652 with a 789 inch screen and it even comes with a truck to haul it around with it and it only cost 77,000,000 dollars, which is more than your stupid blackberry z10 and blackberry sucks yo check out my cool green robot that is the logo on my phone

in case you guys can't figure out if that's serious or not....
    It's like you just told a bad joke at a party and everyone walked away.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 10:02 AM
    lol but this video is kind of misleading because the Z10 has the tutorial upon turning the phone on. You cant even bypass it if you wanted.

when I sell the phone to people I make sure they understand that there is no home button and it is all by swiping. I walk them through it very thoroughly to make sure they understand how to use it. I do not let them walk out of the store without knowing how to use it. At least the basics.
    04-24-13 10:33 AM
    lol but this video is kind of misleading because the Z10 has the tutorial upon turning the phone on. You cant even bypass it if you wanted.

when I sell the phone to people I make sure they understand that there is no home button and it is all by swiping. I walk them through it very thoroughly to make sure they understand how to use it. I do not let them walk out of the store without knowing how to use it. At least the basics.
    They were using the interviewers phone which was already all set up and in use.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 12:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    Get quite frustrated trying to close windows on my touchscreen Asus Vivobook sometimes. It's got a wide bezel, an upward swipe should do it damn you. My girlfriend actually sighed at me the other day and said "it's not your Playbook thingy you know"
    06-10-13 03:19 PM
27 12