So I bought the Z10 when it came out outright from Koodo, but I don't have an account with them as I just bought it and unlocked it to use with WIND.

Now, my phone is faulty (restarts, keyboard problems, black screen, sound doesn't work sometimes) I tried everything to no avail, even the 10.1 update didn't fix anything.

Now, when I went to Koodo today and asked them to fix/replace it as I have a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, they said because I don't have an account with them, they won't deal with me and that I have to contact BlackBerry support directly.

Now, on the BlackBerry support online page, it says that any warranty/repair issues are to be dealt with through the carrier/point of purchase and they don't even provide a phone number for support regarding this.

What do I do now? What good is my warranty if neither party is willing to deal with me? As far as I know buying the device outright doesn't mean you're suddenly not entitled to having the warranty.

Can someone please help?
    05-15-13 08:04 PM
    Open a prepaid account

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 08:23 PM
    Google the number for BlackBerry and give them a call.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 08:31 PM
    Anyone know more?

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 10:26 PM
    Anyone know more?
    Yes, I know more.

This is exactly what I've been talking about in terms of BBRY's 'throw the customer under the bus' warranty policy which puts you at the mercy of the carriers or other 'point of sale entity', in many potential ways. This is just one of them.

I found out that there exists this 'no man's land' of warranty when I talked to Wal-Mart about buying a phone outright.

I spoke to Blackberry about this problem. I escalated the call to a senior rep in the Customer Care department at their Canadian head office. I posed this exact hypothetical to him and what he told me is that there are 'teams' set up to handle situations like this.

The bottom line is that you have to call the Blackberry technical support line, which will get you through to Indonesia, if memory serves. Explain your situation and calmly but cogently convey to them just how pissed off you are, and at the first sign of stalling, demand to be transferred to the K/W head office to speak to a Canadian Customer Service Team Leader. Once you get through to Canada, explain as politely as you can what the issue is, but make it clear that you are absolutely not going to take no for an answer. You want your warranty support and you want BBRY to take over.

You may have to fight to get the support to which you're entitled, but you'll eventually get it.
    Last edited by mset; 05-15-13 at 11:36 PM.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    05-15-13 11:25 PM
    I too am at a loss as to how to go about claiming my warranty. With my Z10, the headphone port has suddenly stopped working and I know for a fact that other users on the site have experienced problems with their headphone ports as well. This then makes it apparent that blackberry has a hardware problem with some of the Z10's.

Now I purchased my Z10 unlocked from GSM Nation in the US, and they are unwilling to do the warranty claim. I contacted blackberry though their PlayBook support line, explained my problem, and was told that my point of purchase company is responsible for claiming the warranty on the phone.

Now it sucks for me since neither blackberry nor gsm nation is willing to assist me.
    05-16-13 01:27 AM
    Now I purchased my Z10 unlocked from GSM Nation in the US, and they are unwilling to do the warranty claim. I contacted blackberry though their PlayBook support line, explained my problem, and was told that my point of purchase company is responsible for claiming the warranty on the phone.

Now it sucks for me since neither blackberry nor gsm nation is willing to assist me.
    Same answer as above. Your only hope is to contact someone at their Kitchener-Waterloo head office. I did. You have to fight through the foreign call centres. If you don't get the answer you want, hang up and start the process again. Should you be put through this rigmarole? Obviously not.

I sympathize and I can't believe that Blackberry would allow this to happen.
    05-16-13 04:29 AM
    Yes, I know more.

This is exactly what I've been talking about in terms of BBRY's 'throw the customer under the bus' warranty policy which puts you at the mercy of the carriers or other 'point of sale entity', in many potential ways. This is just one of them.

I found out that there exists this 'no man's land' of warranty when I talked to Wal-Mart about buying a phone outright.

I spoke to Blackberry about this problem. I escalated the call to a senior rep in the Customer Care department at their Canadian head office. I posed this exact hypothetical to him and what he told me is that there are 'teams' set up to handle situations like this.

The bottom line is that you have to call the Blackberry technical support line, which will get you through to Indonesia, if memory serves. Explain your situation and calmly but cogently convey to them just how pissed off you are, and at the first sign of stalling, demand to be transferred to the K/W head office to speak to a Canadian Customer Service Team Leader. Once you get through to Canada, explain as politely as you can what the issue is, but make it clear that you are absolutely not going to take no for an answer. You want your warranty support and you want BBRY to take over.

You may have to fight to get the support to which you're entitled, but you'll eventually get it.
    Thank you, I thought I was the only one in this messed up situation.

I live in Waterloo, would going to BlackBerry in person be any more beneficial?
    05-16-13 03:10 PM
    To be honest, I think that's a last resort. I don't think they'd be set up or even very willing to get staff out to the recption area and for security reasons, they're not going to allow you past reception.

Unfortunately, you need to start by fighting your way through the overseas call centre and getting a Canadian Customer Service Team Leader on the phone. I'd definitely tell them you're from Waterloo though! To be honest, this should do the trick. You can say that you've been here and started a thread about it and you're hearing from people that BBRY's warranty policy is designed in such a way that you can be left out in the cold.

Please report back and let us know what happens.
    05-17-13 12:28 AM
    To be honest, I think that's a last resort. I don't think they'd be set up or even very willing to get staff out to the recption area and for security reasons, they're not going to allow you past reception.

Unfortunately, you need to start by fighting your way through the overseas call centre and getting a Canadian Customer Service Team Leader on the phone. I'd definitely tell them you're from Waterloo though! To be honest, this should do the trick. You can say that you've been here and started a thread about it and you're hearing from people that BBRY's warranty policy is designed in such a way that you can be left out in the cold.

Please report back and let us know what happens.
    well, there is a repair centre in Cambridge, ON (20 minute drive) so I might pop by there, the other sad aspect of this whole disappointment is that I am currently working as an intern at BlackBerry in Waterloo.
    05-17-13 11:56 PM
    Hi mset,

Were you able to claim your warranty in the end?

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 08:56 PM
    well, there is a repair centre in Cambridge, ON (20 minute drive) so I might pop by there, the other sad aspect of this whole disappointment is that I am currently working as an intern at BlackBerry in Waterloo.
    Wait...you work for Blackberry??
    05-19-13 10:21 PM