Hi,

I just tried playing a movie out of my Z10 via hdmi to the tv. I know the movie file is the correct aspect ratio; 1023 x 576 (16:9). I've watched it on my laptop plenty of times.

When I play it on the tv from the Z10 the aspect ratio is, at best, cropped and stretched. I know I can tap to change it but neither of the three aspect ratios offered are correct. The same problem occurs watching it on the phone.

So to clarify, the phone is not scaling the movie file correctly. Is this normal? Is there a better movie app anyones using?

Thanks.

p.s. sorry for the ill written initial post. Was done in a hurry after too many Belgium beers.
    Last edited by Mellfee; 02-15-14 at 08:36 PM.
    02-15-14 03:22 PM
    More info: you say you know the aspect ratio because you have watched it many times. On what have you watched it since you then note that it is wrong when shown on the tv and on the z10?

Have you tried tweaking settings on the TV, those can also affect how an image shows.

And I've had similar issues with dvd's I've created myself out of digital photos. The play appropriately on my Playbook but the z10 "widens" them distorting the video. Not sure why.
    02-15-14 04:26 PM
    Try rotating your phone to landscape?

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 05:22 PM
    Ok, I've re-written my initial question because it was rubbish.
    02-15-14 08:37 PM
    You can try Media Blast - they have a demo although I'm not sure what the limitations are. Kalemsoft is another option but it is not free nor is there a demo.

There may be other video app and there's an Android app or two that can run if loaded using Snap if you have OS 10.2.1.xxx at least.

One more question - commercial video (as opposed to the example I posted where I created the video myself and images are spread wide (left to right)).
    Mellfee likes this.
    02-15-14 09:30 PM
    I've only ever downloaded movies from BlackBerry World the Z10, or the Video Store for the PlayBook, and have had zero issues both on the devices and with HDMI out to the TV screen. Excellent picture and sound quality too.

Posted via CB10
    Mellfee likes this.
    02-15-14 09:36 PM
    I've only ever downloaded movies from BlackBerry World the Z10, or the Video Store for the PlayBook, and have had zero issues both on the devices and with HDMI out to the TV screen. Excellent picture and sound quality too.

Posted via CB10
    I think it also depends on the codec the files are coded in, along with the dimensions of your TV.
    02-15-14 09:39 PM
    I think it also depends on the codec the files are coded in, along with the dimensions of your TV.
    I don't have a super big TV, or even all that new for that matter. I have a 32" 1080p HDTV that is about 6yrs old. That TV is the only one I've plugged either device into, so you may be right. Also, these are professional and paid movies. But I've also had no trouble with HDMI out with personal movies I've taken with either device. But like I said, I've only ever tried the one TV....

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 09:46 PM
    I often use my playbook to play movies from, to the same TV. It scales them properly. The movie I'm trying to play from the Z10 is proper 16:9 ratio. I don't understand why it wouldn't play correctly.
    02-15-14 09:52 PM
    I often use my playbook to play movies from, to the same TV. It scales them properly. The movie I'm trying to play from the Z10 is proper 16:9 ratio. I don't understand why it wouldn't play correctly.
    If you look back at my Reply #2, my last paragraph, I noted similar behavior - dimensions were fine on the Playbook but distorted on the Z10. I even started at least one thread.

I don't know if there's any answer and I have no idea what the z10 is or is not doing that causes it.
    Mellfee likes this.
    02-15-14 11:08 PM
    Have you tried changing the video ratio in the video app. In the top right, there is a box. Click it to go through the different video styles. Fit width, fit height and letterbox.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 01:56 AM
    You can also pinch to zoom it. Won't help with the scaling though.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 08:14 AM
    Have you tried changing the video ratio in the video app. In the top right, there is a box. Click it to go through the different video styles. Fit width, fit height and letterbox.

Posted via CB10

Yeah I mentioned that I had gone through all the available (three) options. I don't understand at this point why it can't scale it to it's native resolution.

I perhaps wrongly assumed that it would work as well as the playbook. I haven't had time to look in to it properly yet but I will.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
    02-16-14 04:26 PM
    Ok, case closed. I have VLC now and it's the answer to all my video dreams……

If you don't have this your mad.
    02-18-14 09:10 PM
    VLC for android beta v0.1.4

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 04:33 AM