I have been trying to figure this out and cannot find info on it here in the CB forums. My wife's Z10 randomly switches what file type to save a video as without any setting changes. One day she will record a video and it will be 3GP and the next day she will record a new video and it will save as MP4. Does anyone have any insight as to why this occurs. From what I have read on the file extensions is that the only real difference is the codecs supported between the two, but if someone can provide me with further details, it would be appreciated. I just don't get why the video camera just seems to randomly choose one format or the other.
    06-05-13 08:50 AM
    I have been trying to figure this out and cannot find info on it here in the CB forums. My wife's Z10 randomly switches what file type to save a video as without any setting changes. One day she will record a video and it will be 3GP and the next day she will record a new video and it will save as MP4. Does anyone have any insight as to why this occurs. From what I have read on the file extensions is that the only real difference is the codecs supported between the two, but if someone can provide me with further details, it would be appreciated. I just don't get why the video camera just seems to randomly choose one format or the other.
    I could be mistaken but I believe it has to do with file quality. If you choose a medium quality you will get one format and if you choose BEST you will get another. At least that's what happens when I use a voice recording app on my Z10.

Maybe someone knows the definitive answer and can tell us.
    She should be able to play both files that she records tho, correct??
    06-05-13 09:03 AM
    I could be mistaken but I believe it has to do with file quality. If you choose a medium quality you will get one format and if you choose BEST you will get another. At least that's what happens when I use a voice recording app on my Z10.

Maybe someone knows the definitive answer and can tell us.
    She should be able to play both files that she records tho, correct??
    The only options that I have found for file quality is whether to use 720p or 1080p, and I tested this theory on my Z10 in which I recorded videos in both qualities and they all recorded in mp4. I also changed every other setting that I had available one at a time and nothing changed my file type. It is just confusing to me that the phone switches between the 2 formats without any setting changes.

Yes, both files play fine.
    06-05-13 09:09 AM
    Hi, 3GP isn't listed as a format the Z10 will record in? Spec sheets include H.264 / AVC .MP4.
    Whilst 3GP is listed as playable, there is no option to record in it. The Z10 (according to my brief googling does not have the the software to encode to 3GP?

Odd...
    06-05-13 10:04 AM
    Hi, 3GP isn't listed as a format the Z10 will record in? Spec sheets include H.264 / AVC .MP4.
    Whilst 3GP is listed as playable, there is no option to record in it. The Z10 (according to my brief googling does not have the the software to encode to 3GP?

Odd...
    Yes this definitely makes it odd. I have also noticed for the file names, on the MP4 format ones, they get called VID0000..., but on the 3GP ones, they get named VID9500...
    06-05-13 10:17 AM
    Which program / OS is telling you the files are 3GP, my Z10 does many strange things! Most of them don't actually make a difference, although they are irritating! That whole "You have a photo with no thumbnail, but I'm not gonna let you look at it" thing is a killer!
    06-05-13 10:32 AM
    Which program / OS is telling you the files are 3GP, my Z10 does many strange things! Most of them don't actually make a difference, although they are irritating! That whole "You have a photo with no thumbnail, but I'm not gonna let you look at it" thing is a killer!
    It is just the file name that shows the extension within file manager and when I sync them to a computer it also shows the 3gp and mp4 extensions.
    06-05-13 10:34 AM
    I just figured out what is happening, but still have no idea why. The phone is not recording in different formats. When my wife sends the video to me via text message, it switches the extension from mp4 to 3gp.
    06-05-13 10:58 AM
    I just figured out what is happening, but still have no idea why. The phone is not recording in different formats. When my wife sends the video to me via text message, it switches the extension from mp4 to 3gp.
    Is she using an app to send the video? 3gp is a much smaller file and resolution and some apps will auto convert. Try having her email it to you or save it to computer from her phone or save it to box.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 11:26 AM
    Is she using an app to send the video? 3gp is a much smaller file and resolution and some apps will auto convert. Try having her email it to you or save it to computer from her phone or save it to box.

Posted via CB10
    She is just selecting share option from the video menu and selecting Text Message.
    06-05-13 11:34 AM
    Hi, I'm just wondering how you were able to send your videos via text or email, considering the size of the vids? I've taken very short vids of my parrots, and any time I've tried to email one they are much too large to send.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy Q10
    06-05-13 01:23 PM
    Hi, I'm just wondering how you were able to send your videos via text or email, considering the size of the vids? I've taken very short vids of my parrots, and any time I've tried to email one they are much too large to send.

This is actually a good question because during my testing of what was going on with the format change. I was trying to figure out what sizes would send and what would not.

In BBM, I always got a message that 6MB was the limit, and non of my videos were under that mark.

For Text Messages, the only thing that I found to bring up a message was if videos were over 1 minute, it brought up a message stating the video was too long. But other than that I never received any messages regards to size. It just did the conversion thing discussed above. I do know that my wife tried to send me a 25 MB video through text, and it allowed her to send it, but I never did receive it, so I am not for sure where that message ended up.

E-mail, I am not for sure what the max size is, I only get the message that the file is too large, but doesn't give me the max value like BBM.

Anyone that has more specifics, please chime in, would be appreciated.
    06-05-13 02:01 PM
    Thank you for more details, Zm. One of the vids I tried sending (tried both text and email) was about 45 seconds long and was too large to send.

I wasn't given an option to convert to smaller compressed size, all I was offered was the choice to edit the vid and make it smaller, which I really didn't want to do, as this would ruin my video.

It would be great if we were given an option to convert it to a smaller size (without changing and saving the original source video) so it could easily be sent via text, email, bbm, or uploaded to the web.

06-05-13 02:15 PM
    Thank you for more details, Zm. One of the vids I tried sending (tried both text and email) was about 45 seconds long and was too large to send.

I wasn't given an option to convert to smaller compressed size, all I was offered was the choice to edit the vid and make it smaller, which I really didn't want to do, as this would ruin my video.

It would be great if we were given an option to convert it to a smaller size (without changing and saving the original source video) so it could easily be sent via text, email, bbm, or uploaded to the web.

I'm not for sure what actually is allowing ours to get through in text messages without any messages about them being too large. All I know is that when they do get through and actually make it to the receiver, the file has been converted to 3gp. I have sent a message to BlackBerryHelp on twitter to see if they could clarify this transition between file types, but have yet to hear anything back. I will post it here if I do get something back from them.
    06-05-13 02:19 PM
    Excellent. Thanks, Zm. I look forward to hearing what they tell you.

Last edited by SharonRD; 06-05-13 at 02:35 PM.
    06-05-13 02:24 PM