Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Magnetic_dud's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    534 Posts
    Global Posts
    572 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default USB OTG?

    Does the Z10 have USB OTG?

    I remember if you put the dev alpha fw on a playbook via an hack, usb otg was working, but not on the dev alpha because of missing hardware
  2. mr_zed10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,118 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,122 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I too would like to know this if anyone can confirm please
  3. Denise in Los Angeles's Avatar
    BlackBerry Diva

    Posts
    8,086 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    What is USB OTG needed for?
    ~DENISE~
    YES, I DO BELIEVE THAT I AM WORTH IT!

    PLEASE STOP WITH THE LONG POSTS! YOU'RE BORING US.
  4. Magnetic_dud's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    534 Posts
    Global Posts
    572 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    Example 1:
    Shot photos with a camera, then plug the memory card using an usb reader plugged to the usb otg adaptor, browse it and share pics.

    Example 2:
    connect monitor via hdmi, connect keyboard and mouse via usb hub - portable computer

    Example 3:
    someone wants to give you a file but only has an usb drive

    Example 4:
    in a trip you carry an hdd with 500gb of movies so you can easily copy them on the go

    Example 5:
    you want to print something, connect a printer and print (this is tricky without drivers)

    And so on, the possibilities are endless
    Nharzhool likes this.
  5. slparry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    681 Posts
    PIN
    24D72E0F
    #5  

    Default

    My Nokia N8 has USB OTG and it's a fantastically useful feature, as you say connect a mouse & keyboard and the hdmi makes a very useful portable device when in hotel rooms etc. as well as memory sticks and card readers for the camera. It really is a useful feature. I hope the z10 has it and I also hope that when the playbooks get BB10 they'll have the feature enabled as it's sooooooo useful!
  6. Icarus3000's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    557 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Would like to know this as well. USB otg on the Z10 would be awesome!
  7. rottonj's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    869 Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    #7  

    Default

    Well enough people already have them as well as the people from Crackberry so an answer should be able to be found quickly My guess is no it doesnt.,
  8. dd3
    dd3 is offline
    dd3's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    210 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    no just tried a usb memory stick and nothing. hopefully will be an update on this one.
    Thanked by 3:
    Icarus3000 (01-31-2013),  Magnetic_dud (01-31-2013),  sbndrf (02-02-2013) 
  9. Icarus3000's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    557 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dd3 View Post
    no just tried a usb memory stick and nothing. hopefully will be an update on this one.
    That is extremely disappointing
  10. Saiga's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Evidently, BlackBerry's vision of mobile computing doesn't acknowledge the existence of USB devices. Kinda odd considering other, normal, boring old mobile operating systems allow users to plug a USB hub and a keyboard, mouse, card readers, external hard drives, DSLRs and even desktop missile launchers to their phone. Mobile computing folks. The days of dragging around a laptop are almost at an end.
  11. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,446 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #11  

    Default Re: USB OTG?

    Quote Originally Posted by Icarus3000 View Post
    That is extremely disappointing
    Agreed.. So much for "mobile computing"..

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
  12. rottonj's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    869 Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    #12  

    Default

    Must be unimportant for now. Stick it in the Skype/Netflix pile.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rottonj View Post
    [...] Stick it in the Skype/Netflix pile.
    I would, but it's on a flash drive... *wait for laughter*

    USB OTG is huge for me - I use it for most the reasons above, external HDD access, uploading photos from DSLR on the road, USB keyboard/mice. Really sad this feature isn't implemented.

    I've heard the hardware is capable, as we've seen with the Dev Alpha and PlayBook hack; they've just chosen to not use it. Sad.
  14. rottonj's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    869 Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wxmancanada View Post
    I would, but it's on a flash drive... *wait for laughter*

    USB OTG is huge for me - I use it for most the reasons above, external HDD access, uploading photos from DSLR on the road, USB keyboard/mice. Really sad this feature isn't implemented.

    I've heard the hardware is capable, as we've seen with the Dev Alpha and PlayBook hack; they've just chosen to not use it. Sad.
    I agree, its a good feature. Never know when your gonna be stuck somewhere and be glad you had that extra 32gb of hd porn lol.
    wxmancanada and Nharzhool like this.
  15. just_luc's Avatar

    Posts
    3,203 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,265 Global Posts
    PIN
    24BF22A0
    #15  

    Default

    I agree that USB OTG would be great to have... but im MUCH more concerned about having it on the playbook then on my phone.. we already know the playbook hardware can do it, hopefully it is enabled when BB10 hits the playbook.. if it comes to the phone great.. if it does't.. wont bother me.


    RIM 950 .... Blackberry Z10 (STL100-3 on hybrid OS 10.3.0.140/misc) and everything in between
    + Playbook 32GB
  16. jeffreytoronto's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default Re: USB OTG?

    Quote Originally Posted by just_luc View Post
    I agree that USB OTG would be great to have... but im MUCH more concerned about having it on the playbook then on my phone.. we already know the playbook hardware can do it, hopefully it is enabled when BB10 hits the playbook.. if it comes to the phone great.. if it does't.. wont bother me.

    agree. also...why not use bluetooth keyboard/mouse...that's mobile... not dragging wired keyboard/mouse around.


    Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
  17. mr_zed10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,118 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,122 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    So much for "mobile computing"..
    Agreed, keep hearing about this "mobile computing" phrase being kicked around, but OS10 really can't do all that much. The highlights are:

    1) a Hub, which is cool but each OS has its own version of a hub so not neccessaily unique
    2) Time shift camera (owned by Nokia)
    3) Keyboard (by a company who also develops for Android)
    4) The unique things in a Blackberry have been lost in BB10, but are expected (but not confirmed) to come in 10.1

    So basically, we'll have majority of BBOS in the next update, so when does "mobile computing" actually arrive, the Z10 does not even expand with the Playbook as much as BBOS.

    C'mon Blackberry, your telling me you took an extra year and delays to refine the Time Shift camera & keyboard that a different company created? And spent majority of the time on ONE super app which is "the Hub"?
    Icarus3000 likes this.
  18. WhiteSpir1t's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    808 Posts
    Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Example 4:
    in a trip you carry an hdd with 500gb of movies so you can easily copy them on the go

    I could definitely use example 4
  19. WhiteSpir1t's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    808 Posts
    Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic_dud View Post
    Does the Z10 have USB OTG?

    I remember if you put the dev alpha fw on a playbook via an hack, usb otg was working, but not on the dev alpha because of missing hardware

    Assuming that BB10 is still the same, for the most part, extraction of the dev alpha's OTG driver/extension can be copied in and loaded.

    Of course, in iOS speak, this would call for a jailbreak.
  20. homl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    198 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    The Z10 is a USB OTG-A device.
    Why would you want it to be a USB OTG-B device, when it already uses microSD, plus cloud storage, WiFi & Bluetooth links.
    I doubt that the Z10 battery will last long if it needs to power a mouse and keyboard. There are better Bluetooth options. As for external hard drives, you are going to need to drag along a power brick. Definitely not very elegant 'keep moving' solutions. There are Wireless hard drives and WiFi SD cards for digital cameras.
  21. slparry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    681 Posts
    PIN
    24D72E0F
    #21  

    Default

    I have an enclosed old laptop hdd that has worked previously with my Nokia N8 and was a nice mobile feature

    Posted via CB10
    --
    Steve Parry

    Phone timeline:
    Nokia 5110, 6210, 6310i, 6600, 6670, 6300, N80, 3230, 6220 classic, 9100, 5800 XpressMusic, N8 .......
    currently Blackberry Z10 after 20 years of Nokias oh and 2 64GB Playbooks!!
  22. rottonj's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    869 Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homl View Post
    The Z10 is a USB OTG-A device.
    Why would you want it to be a USB OTG-B device, when it already uses microSD, plus cloud storage, WiFi & Bluetooth links.
    I doubt that the Z10 battery will last long if it needs to power a mouse and keyboard. There are better Bluetooth options. As for external hard drives, you are going to need to drag along a power brick. Definitely not very elegant 'keep moving' solutions. There are Wireless hard drives and WiFi SD cards for digital cameras.
    It really shouldn't matter what is elegant, it should just be able to work. Having that option is a plus. How people will use it will be up to them. Cloud is not for everyone.
  23. homl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    198 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rottonj View Post
    It really shouldn't matter what is elegant, it should just be able to work. Having that option is a plus. How people will use it will be up to them. Cloud is not for everyone.
    Sure it would be nice and could be done; but what if they do provide it. You are going to get threads like, "USB Device Fried My Z10", "My Z10 Battery Die in 1hr", "Broke My USB Connector when Dropped with Thumb Drive Attached", "My Z10 is not comparable with X Device", on and on. It is going to cause more headaches. You just can't win.

    Who knows, they might be working on a more elegant solutions with a proper powered media dock.
  24. WhiteSpir1t's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    808 Posts
    Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homl View Post
    Sure it would be nice and could be done; but what if they do provide it. You are going to get threads like, "USB Device Fried My Z10", "My Z10 Battery Die in 1hr", "Broke My USB Connector when Dropped with Thumb Drive Attached", "My Z10 is not comparable with X Device", on and on. It is going to cause more headaches. You just can't win.

    Who knows, they might be working on a more elegant solutions with a proper powered media dock.
    Speak for yourself. You can't expect the way how you use your device would be the same for everyone.

    What if the next guy over has had a hard disk that he's been using for quite some time and all of a sudden you come along telling him the "Right Way" how to do things?

    Thus, your Z10 would be a walled garden while everyone else's are more personalized. I own the device so I should be able to use it any way I want it. If I want a vacuum cleaner for drying my hair, then it's my prerogative.
    mr_zed10 likes this.
  25. Vurhan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    572 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    PIN
    30F15D7C
    #25  

    Default

    The USB drive concept is basically quite ***** proof. Plug and play. Just like on a PC. Or certain android devices. And to a lesser extant, on iPads.
    .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. USB OTG (USB host mode) ???
    By zeldras in forum PlayBook Rooting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 06:54 PM
  2. Anyone got a usb OTG (On The Go) bridge device?
    By TheMimic in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 10:23 PM
  3. USB OTG and USB Host?
    By missing_K-W in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 10:06 PM
  4. Will USB OTG ever be added?
    By dkingsf in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM
  5. PlayBook actually HAS USB OTG??
    By grahamf in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 05:52 PM

Posting Permissions