I'm hearing that OS 10.2 supports USB host but the hardware on the Z10 does not.

My question; Is it possible to make changes to the Z10 hardware so it will support USB host ?
    10-18-13 04:16 AM
    I think you would need to change your micro USB port to the same type the Z30 has in order for it to work. Not sure if that is even possible.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 04:18 AM
    If the connections are not made on the Mainboard it will not do you any good to solder on a different USB port.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 04:21 AM
    Somebody out there must have detailed knowledge of the Z10 hardware :-)
    10-18-13 07:53 AM
    True. I see some places on the internet are selling Z10 sub-assemblys, that people with the right knowledge could analyse or modify.
    10-18-13 07:56 AM
    I don't know about the z10 details, however I know about USB You need specific hardware to be a host. All it really is is pull down resistors of DP and DN which can be overridden by pullups on client. The host then checks for DP (or DN) to be set (and the client checks VBUS). Once this happens, the host negotiates with the client, and starts talking. You also need to manage the power requirements as the host (ie +5V and 0V)

So the host needs to pull the lines down, and be able to check for a pull up at the client end. This initiates the comms - without hardware to do this, then you won't get anywhere. You of course also need drivers, but 10.2 should cover this. Now USB on the go allows a port to be either a host or a client, but that has both sets of pullups which can be controlled in firmware.

Bottom lline is that if the Z10 doesn't have the hardware, it can't be a host. You could mod a board, however the chances of an expensive paperweight are pretty high.

Hope I made sense
    niss63 likes this.
    10-18-13 08:04 AM