Had we Americans got what we wanted, would the media reporting look different today?

Delayed US Launch = Headline 1: UK BlackBerry sales off to a strong start or Global Launch (with US getting phones tomorrow) = Headline 2: New BlackBerry sales underwhelm again in the US

If BB 10 launched first in the US, sales would not impress media outlets and investors. Nothing short of the Z10 making a man walk with elephant legs would change this. Nothing. It's reputation is too damaged to roll the dice on a teetering company. However, as it stands, a regional launch refocuses the news on areas that will be successful. Since Americans generally like winners, they might jump aboard the bandwagon if the product is perceived as successful elsewhere.

It's taken awhile to reach this conclusion, but I truly think Frank Boulben and BlackBerry are several steps ahead of us. Thoughts?
    02-04-13 08:53 PM
    who knows. It appears the eBay prices are showing just how much interest people have. I may consider hoarding some rogers devices tomorrow. List them on eBay. If they dont sell you have 30 days to bring them back for your money back...
    TheQuietRioter likes this.
    02-04-13 08:54 PM
    They definitely wanted it to launch in the US right away also. End of story.
    02-04-13 08:55 PM
    As much as I hate waiting for the Z10 (never mind the Q10, I'll take what I can get first), I'm starting to think maybe launching a little later in the U.S. will be for the better in the long run.

BlackBerry was going to get panned by the "media" in the U.S. for one of two things. The first: that BlackBerry 10 phones were not available at the same time as other places. The second: that BlackBerry's new phones did not have some of the big name apps that many in the U.S. care about (Instagram, Netflix) and the new BlackBerry 10 phones were missing some of the things even BlackBerrys on OS7 had (i.e. profile customization).

With the "delay," I think BlackBerry ends up getting the lesser of the two punishments of sorts by the media. Let's just assume that the Z10 really won't come out until late March (March 27 is what I read earlier for T-Mobile's launch date). That is about 7 weeks of putting the finishing touches on Instagram, continuing to heavily court Netflix, and getting Pandora, Spotify, and other apps that are on legacy BlackBerrys, onboard for the U.S. launch.

I can think of reading nothing worse than a headline that says, "BlackBerry 10 off to weak start in the U.S., as major apps are glaringly absent." That would already put it into people's minds that some of their favorite apps on iOS or Android aren't on BlackBerry 10. I don't know if there would be any coming back from leaving such a bad taste in people's mouths like that. There IS, however, a way for BlackBerry to recover from the headlines we see now, like "BlackBerry 10 won't be available until March," simply by launching in March with hopefully some of the apps that are missing.
    02-04-13 09:10 PM
    It works for me because it gives me time to save up for one.
    Eli_B and SoCalRedbird like this.
    02-04-13 09:16 PM
    Didn't a similar delay for the US release of the BlackBerry Playbook 4G LTE happen?
    02-04-13 10:15 PM
    Great way of thinking. That was genius.
    SoCalRedbird likes this.
    02-04-13 10:17 PM
    The best phone is the one you CAN'T get, lol
    SoCalRedbird likes this.
    02-04-13 10:17 PM
    I thought about this too..
    1. Inventory..releasing to smaller markets give them a chance to gauge the sales volume and build the appropriate inventory for launch without over stocking, if sales were slow in initial markets.
    2. US market thrives on momentum..Seeing it successful in other markets will spur demand in the US when they see the gates "finally" open for them. People who have been waiting for the BB10 to upgrade their phone aren't going to decide to go to iPhone or Android phone for the sake of a month if they see there is reason to wait to get "the best".
    3. Apps. We know BB has be courting the "main apps" and some developers may have decided to wait to see reaction to the device before they heavily invest in the BB10 version..seeing it take off in other markets will drive them to have their app ready for the US launch.
    4. Complexity...From what I've been reading, the reviewers who simply read the spec are **-hum on their reviews, those that have played with the device for a week can't put it down!...So getting it into the hands of many users who are saying "wow"/"game changer"/etc. will get the reviewers to take a fresh look and figure out what the buzz is about then have more informed reviews in time for the bigger US market launch.
    02-05-13 08:01 AM

Just because nobody has done it yet
    Spencerdl likes this.
    02-05-13 08:12 AM
    You know the more I think about it and the more I see the media in the US jumpping on board the more I think BlackBerry is to "blame" for th launch delay inthe US...but it is becoming a good thing. Hype it up some more around the world then BAM, here it is!!! If waiting until March means I can still use a Blackberry a new BlackBerry 10 years from now
    yea...ok...the wait is well worth it. Good job BlackBerry....good job...
    jimpilot likes this.
    02-05-13 08:31 AM
    As upset as I was on the 30th I am now coming around too. The high apparent demand overseas and reported lines in Canada is creating a buzz here I suspect.

Having an update release and more apps ( big name ones I hope) and the high demand overseas will go a long way towards silencing those folks who can't wait to slam BB in the press and personally gives me an excellent response to my friends who want to insist BB is dead.

So I'm eating my words, this was an excellent move by BB, no matter who caused it they look like the winners.
    omniusovermind likes this.
    02-05-13 08:44 AM
    A 1 week delay might fit this theory but not 2 months.
    02-05-13 08:50 AM
    Didn't a similar delay for the US release of the BlackBerry Playbook 4G LTE happen?
    Was it ever?
    02-05-13 08:51 AM
    Also blackberry correctly recognised the UK as a market that is wide open...sales of iphones are dropping off with samsung becoming more dominant, i really feel that in the UK blackberry has a real chance of becoming a market leader.
    02-05-13 08:55 AM
    Actually I think UK and Canada are the beta testers. Looking around the BB sites there are reports of updates coming to maps, etc. So given the choice between, having US customers complain about an unfinished OS and possible forever turning their back on BB, or complain about not getting it yet and just being a little upset; I think the wise choice was to keep it back and let them complain about not having it yet. Plus yes, it does build buzz.
    02-05-13 08:56 AM
    I agree with a lot of the things said here.

I also think that the delay can help iron out some of the bugs in the software, increase the likelihood of having some 'major' apps on the scene and give the media a chance to see that it is actually SUCCESSFUL in other places.

However..most important to me...is that the delay gives me time to save up for one
    02-05-13 08:57 AM
    July 2012:
    Suggested BlackBerry 10 roadmap appears, outlines possible device release times | CrackBerry.com
    One of the other items suggested with this information is that BlackBerry 10 will first launch in Europe come January, and from there will launch in North America a few weeks later.
    Thorsten Heins- "BlackBerry 10 will launch in 3 waves"

It's fairly obvious(to me anyway) that the delayed launch is intentional.

02-05-13 10:25 AM
    I think it's intentional in order to be able to launch with BB10.1 so to speak. The phone is nice but there is a lot that can be refined and I think both RIM and the carriers knew USA market would eat them alive.
    02-05-13 10:53 AM
    Based on some of the shortcomings I'm reading from the people who can buy them, maybe a blessing that RIM didn't release right away in the US. This will give them more time to get some kinks worked out. Hopefully BlackBerry is reading the forums to see what people aren't happy with.
    02-05-13 11:57 AM
    The problem is that USA media has the most say when it comes to the press and publicity, the can make or break a product, if some issues were reported on launch they will blow it out of proportion. I think it was a calculated move on their part and not risk with a big bang launch esp in the usa for the few weeks at least
    02-05-13 12:17 PM