Hey guys,

From all of yous that have the new Z10 and had a 9900 before. Would you say the move was worth it? I'm a bit scared of missing my real keyboard.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
    02-20-13 07:50 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    i did move from bb 9900 to Z10 a week ago .. the predictive keyboard does take some time to get used to it .. but once you do its really quite cool and fast..... and the other features of bb z10 are amazing and worth the move, i think ... but if you are a die hard keyboard guy ( I was for 10 years!) .. perhaps the Q10 would be better ... both great options ... i plan to have one of each! lol
    world saviour likes this.
    02-20-13 07:54 AM
    The real question is "what do you use your phone for ?" .If you are like some of the winers on here and want the phone to wipe your *** ,it is not going to happen .
    If you use your phone for work ,answering calls ,sending emails ,text messages to co-workers .Then the phone rocks .If you like to surf the web for a web page and get info ,then the phone rocks.
    I went from keyboard to this z10 and no problem .Keep in mind this phone is a "major improvement over the i-phone or galaxy touch ,in the way the touch is done .An example is you use the lightest of touch to open an email ,or make a phone call . The phone is a learning curve ,but what new device is not ?.
    02-20-13 08:24 AM
    Hi,
    @8889, Actually this is my business phone. yes this phone is used for sending emails, text, viewing websites that we build to verify it on different mobiles, etc.
    @former ceo, yes I am a hard core keyboard guy. I like the click(feeling of keys) and typing on the 9900. I'm just no sure about the touch.

Both of your feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
    02-20-13 08:30 AM
    The real question is "what do you use your phone for ?" .If you are like some of the winers on here and want the phone to wipe your *** ,it is not going to happen .
    If you use your phone for work ,answering calls ,sending emails ,text messages to co-workers .Then the phone rocks .If you like to surf the web for a web page and get info ,then the phone rocks.
    I went from keyboard to this z10 and no problem .Keep in mind this phone is a "major improvement over the i-phone or galaxy touch ,in the way the touch is done .An example is you use the lightest of touch to open an email ,or make a phone call . The phone is a learning curve ,but what new device is not ?.
    well said.
    02-20-13 08:31 AM
    I upgraded from the 9900 to Z10 and I'm glad I did. I can do the same stuff i did on my 9900 before, but now i can do so much more! The keyboard takes a bit to get used to, but it's surprisingly not as difficult as I thought it would be. A plus for me as well was for the first time, while waiting in the doctor's office with my kid - I gave her my phone to play 'Chasing Yello' and she was fully distracted. The games on the older OS never kept her attention. Overall I'm very happy with my decision.
    02-20-13 08:40 AM
    I was in the same boat as you.. very scared to make the move but I did anyway. The keyboard is a peach to use, after about 30 minutes I was flowing freely. Actually I am typing faster now than I did with my 9900 so thats a major plus. The major negative for me was the useful apps that are not available as yet but I hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that they will soon be available.
    02-20-13 08:48 AM
    Upgraded from a 9900 and haven't looked back since. I never used to be a touch screen man. I was going to wait for the Q10 but I'm actually glad I didn't. I can't imagine this new OS on such a small screen...it seems like it would hamper it somewhat. I feel like I'm finally getting a full modern smartphone experience with a software keyboard worthy of Blackberry added into the mix.
    02-20-13 08:54 AM
    If you're looking for "modern" smartphone experience, it's well worth it. As someone who came from a 9900, with exception of a few small OS features, there's nothing I miss...not even the hardware keyboard.

However, if the 9900 has served you well, there's absolutely nothing more you can want from it, and you have no frustrations with BBOS, then keep it. You'll be missing out though
    02-20-13 09:40 AM
    I don't recommend to wipe a s s with it because it wouldn't be sanitary. however, you could 'poogle' with it and make sure to clean it with hand sanitizer afterwards.
    02-20-13 09:41 AM
    Thanks a lot everyone. Every input is greatly appreciated. The only thing making me hold back was the keyboard, but from what I see everyone says its a little learning curve but once you get it going you're not going back. Hopefully this will be the case for me. I might just have to give this new one a shot and see from myself.
    02-20-13 09:54 AM
    HOLD OFF : UNLESS YOU ARE GETTING EXCELLENT PRICE

NO MAJOR APPS : !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BANKING / SOCIAL / POYNT! / WHATSAPP!

I made the switch, cause got the brand new phone for $20

Im really disappointed due to no apps,

I use my old 9900 on wifi/hotspot and an work Iphone still.
    yes there is internet for the pages/apps but APPS are direct/quicker.

Everything you read/view videos is true.
    KEYBOARD KICKS ***, Truly kicks ***.
    getting the phone after watching all reviews / videos , you already are aware without knowing that you can use the phone.

Just my thoughts....

If want the APPS, Wait.. till at least Released in USA. then APPS should be developed by then, 1month
    02-20-13 09:58 AM
    Actually, I'm not using that much apps on my 9900. I only use the phone to get my emails, SMS, browser internet, and call.

Also, would someone confirm me the following:

- Does Z10 have the remote control with the bridge for playbook?
    - Does google map work on the Z10?

Thanks
    02-20-13 10:02 AM
    I went from the Bold 9900 to the Z10 about 2 weeks ago. Here are my 2 cents:

The Z10 is amazing at absolutley everything......except typing. Yes you can get used to it, kind of. I find it highly frustrating to type on a touch screen. The Z10 will give you a better typing experience than the Iphone 5 but ultimately, it is still a touch screen keyboard. I'm growing tired of typing, then backspacing, then zeroing the edit circle onto a letter to backspace some more.

The phone itself is a MASSIVE improvement to the 9900. Having said this, if you type alot, and I type ALOT, hold off for the Q10.

My 2cents.
    02-20-13 10:18 AM
    >> - Does Z10 have the remote control with the bridge for playbook?
    YES
    >>- Does google map work on the Z10?
    Yes, sideload an Android App.

I love my Z10, but in the same time, I hate it. It doesn't have a few features that made me stick to BlackBerry. Especially the ability to tweak notifications. It rocks, but I hope a few missing things will be implemented soon.
    As a developper, I also lack some functionnalities in the SDK. It's a first version, and hopefully, this will go better.
    02-20-13 10:27 AM
    Im finding that I can type faster and more accurately using the z10 than I ever could on the 9900 actually.
    02-20-13 10:28 AM
    I had about 100+ apps on 9900 and now about 50+ so far on Z10. For me apps are not an issue.

I was a diehard keyboard fan and intentionally purchased the Z10 when it 1st cam out knowing that if I had the Q10 side by side I likely would fall back to my old ways and want the keyboard.

I only have a new iTouch and HATE!!! the virtual keyboard even with the latest version of iOS. Maybe the iPhone has a different keyboard but I simply don't know as I do not have any experience. All I know is I don't use my iTouch for anything but music which of course it does masterfully.

Back to the Z10, initially it was a tough ride with the keyboard but as it would learn more about me and I about it I am now extremely proficient with the virtual keyboard and don't regret switching. So much so that the 9900 will be going up for sale once I am back from my trip. I hung on to it in case I wanted to switch back and wait for the Q10. The screen is amazing, the virtual keyboard amazing, the browser amazing, the HUB took some getting use to but love it now and the list goes on.

My 9900 was predominately a communications device for email, BBM and social feeds but the new Z10 I can barely put down and use it for everything.

I even pick up my Playbook far less. I used it because the screen was so small on the 9900 but I find the browser so fast and fluid and the screen size is wonderful. The device feels awesome using with 2 hands but more importantly 1. I haven't used any phone that is so easy to use one handed.

I never had a learning curve with the UI since I purchased the PB when it was 1st released. The UI is simply the best IMHO and am often swiping and flicking when handed an iPhone or Droid from friends to make a quick call or surf for something when my phone is not with me. Sometimes I leave it at my desk at work and forget it during meetings or when going out for lunch. Doesn't happen often but it is always a challenge to use competitor phones after you are use to the fluid interface of the Playbook and now BB10.

Bottom line, I was an staunch keyboard guy and don't regret moving to the Z10 and in fact am very thankful I took the leap.

I for one am loving the new Z10 and won't be tempted by the Q10 when it arrives.
    cman5 likes this.
    02-20-13 10:29 AM
    Actually, I'm not using that much apps on my 9900. I only use the phone to get my emails, SMS, browser internet, and call.

Thanks
    No google maps just yet but I think that Magellan Compass Maps app can use it (along with orhers) and it's got great reviews. Google maps will be available soon enough, I imagine.
    02-20-13 10:30 AM
    I've gone this route and what you lose in physical keyboard you gain in screen size. It's really a 50/50. I loved the 9900 but at times I felt the screen was too small... I love the Z10 but at times I felt I needed a keyboard. But with the Z10 you'll adapt to the screen keyboard with time.

Should you adopt the Z10 now? Depends... Like others have said not too many apps, but the experience is well worth it on its own. + You get everyone wanting to play with it (even the ones that complain there's no apps for it).

I only got one because my contract was up, had it not been I still would've waited out for one.
    q3rista likes this.
    02-20-13 10:41 AM
    My 9900 was the perfect device and it's tough to top, especially if your a heavy user or "power user" as some might say. My Z10 is also a great device and is getting better and better everyday I use it and get use to it's new or different ways. Yes, I wish more of OS7 goodies were baked into the OS and wished BB had more user profiles and the color LED built into it but I'm patient and know it's only round 1. Loving the Z10 so far, while also missing my 9900 just a bit. It will take time to adjust but I think it is worth it(even more so in the long run). For my situation, BBM video chatting all the time with the kids while I am at work and they are out and about, has already made me feel like I made the right choice(for me).
    02-20-13 10:42 AM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 10:48 AM
    I like most who switched from a 9900 was a hard core business user. I loved the 9900 keyboard and typed all sorts of important emails on my BlackBerry.

The switch to a fully touchscreen model was challenging at first due to the obvious lack of tactile feel. But after a week it was really good.

Don't get me wrong, an actual keyboard is better for editing text I feel but when It comes to reading messages or browsing thru documents and the Web, the larger screen of the z10 will be better.

Just my thoughts

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 10:54 AM
    Thanks everyone.
    02-20-13 11:20 AM
    I did the switch on the 5th. Was very reluctant, but I was carrying a 9900 and a s3, and I hated typing in the s3. I took a leap of faith and was I ever surprises, the z10 keyboard is far more advanced than that of the s3, and it performs just like a blackberry keyboard. I'm loving it but I'm still considering trying to so a trade for a q10. I miss being able to just start typing on the keyboard and searching for things without actually having to click a search icon. Or holding a key for speed dial, or changing from profile to vibrate by holding *. But I'm not sure still as I'm loving the screen size. Might just use both lol

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 11:40 AM

Thanks
    Yes, has remote control with Bridge with PlayBook. All do is upgrade to latest version of PlayBook.
    02-20-13 01:20 PM
55 123