I just bought a used blackberry Z10. I got it really cheap and I'm quite happy with it. As an Q10 user it's nice to have a large screen for once.
    The guy who sold it to me said however that I shouldn't update to 10.3 (it's still on 10.2 at the moment), because it is really bad for the battery.
    Should I update or not? Is it really that bad for the battery?
    04-21-15 01:12 AM
    obviously you should update becoz

Version 10.3.1
    BlackBerry� Blend™ - to bring messaging and content on your BlackBerry smartphone to your computer and tablet. No saving to a cloud, no wires, no backing up. It’s just there. Learn about BlackBerry Blend
    Android app compatibility - Download and install Android apps from the Amazon Appstore. Learn about the Amazon Appstore
    BlackBerry Assistant - Manage your email, contacts, calendar and other features through simple voice and text commands.
    BlackBerry Hub with Instant Actions - Quickly organize and action your inbox without having to go into each individual message.
    Camera updates – The upgraded camera software automatically recommends modes and settings. You can capture a panorama or even record video and take pictures at the same time.
    Media improvements – Updates include the ability to “Favourite” your songs, photos or videos, and a new slow motion video edit feature.
    Updated calendar – Updates include the Meeting Mode option, which will automatically set your phone to quiet mode for the duration of your meeting, and a new weekly agenda view.
    Battery life improvements - Boost your battery life by up to 15% by customizing your Power Saving Profile.
    04-21-15 01:33 AM
    Thanks for your answer.
    I know there are some nice things on os 10.3. But none of them are really important to mee. Blend, assistent, android app compatibility aren't that important to me.
    But is it stable and is the battery doable?
    04-21-15 02:04 AM
    Battery is fine, certainly no worse than 10.2.1.

There are a couple of things you may notice when upgraded, 1 you cannot make the keyboard feedback completely silent and 2 when answering calls and have vibration on it continues to vibrate a couple of times, both can be quite annoying but whether they are show stoppers for you only you can decide.

Also remember you can always go back to 10.2.1 by using an autoloader which are available here on Crackberry if you can't live with 10.3.1.

Just a word of warning though, if you decide to update then the conventional wisdom here on Crackberry is to do a clean install using an autoloader as this will wipe the phone and reset it to as new factory condition as it were, rather than letting the phone do an OTA update.

Remember to backup before you update though.

Enjoy.

Posted via CB10 using my Z10 STL100-2 /10.3.1.2576
    04-21-15 06:10 AM
    There is no reason for you not to update. 10.3. xx is so much better than 10.2, I would never go back. And battery life..ha! I normally get 14-16 hrs on a charge and twice my phone has lasted 17 hrs with light to medium usage! Beat that 10.2.

Yes I would go the autoloader route but keep in mind it DOES NOT wipe your phone. You'll have to do a security wipe after for a totally clean installation like you just purchased the phone at a store.

Always do a backup with Link first.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 06:27 AM
    Of course update. There are OS and battery life improvements.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 06:36 AM
    There is no reason for you not to update. 10.3. xx is so much better than 10.2, I would never go back. And battery life..ha! I normally get 14-16 hrs on a charge and twice my phone has lasted 17 hrs with light to medium usage! Beat that 10.2.

Yes I would go the autoloader route but keep in mind it DOES NOT wipe your phone. You'll have to do a security wipe after for a totally clean installation like you just purchased the phone at a store.

Always do a backup with Link first.

Posted via CB10
    I think you need to bear in mind that an autoloader will make any data you had on your phone unavailable essentially 'wiping' the phone, it may not be a security wipe but it is still as destructive, so make sure you backup first.

04-21-15 06:41 AM
    Battery life is better for me on the new update!

My Z10 Whiteout
    04-21-15 06:51 AM
    I think you need to bear in mind that an autoloader will make any data you had on your phone unavailable essentially 'wiping' the phone, it may not be a security wipe but it is still as destructive, so make sure you backup first.

I understand your point. I just wanted to point out to people that if they wanted a truly clean install that they would need to do a security wipe after.

This has been my preferred method for installing leaks. I've had no issues on any of my phones using this method. It takes a little longer but well worth the effort.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 07:05 AM
    I understand your point. I just wanted to point out to people that if they wanted a truly clean install that they would need to do a security wipe after.

This has been my preferred method for installing leaks. I've had no issues on any of my phones using this method. It takes a little longer but well worth the effort.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, although a security wipe is much quicker once you have run an autoloader, which would indicate there is not much left in the memory.

Security wipes are always a good idea with a clean install to get rid of any residual data but generally they are to get rid of any personal data should you want to sell the phone or via protect if you lose or have your phone stolen.

04-21-15 08:01 AM
    Maybe it's just me, but my Z10 battery life nearly doubled on 10.3. I have no idea how I am getting such great battery life from such a small battery as compared to the Z30/Passport. So glad that the update finally came. When it did I updated all of my BB10s at the same time so OCD lol.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 08:13 AM
    I have a leak, 10.3.1.652 I tried to the OTA update but it says I am up to date. is there a non destructive offical update I can put on this? I dont want to put "leaks" on this anymore. few more months I am finally leaving this device
    04-21-15 08:32 AM
    I have a leak, 10.3.1.652 I tried to the OTA update but it says I am up to date. is there a non destructive offical update I can put on this? I dont want to put "leaks" on this anymore. few more months I am finally leaving this device
    You need to look here and give thanks to thurask.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=943672

Choose the correct autoloader for your phone model and don't forget to backup before you pull the trigger!

04-21-15 09:28 AM
    Is that the Software Release number, or the actual OS number? Either way, that is very old.

I'm running 2726 now (the OS number, the SR is 1877), and it's great.

Take an adventure over in the Beta/leaked OS forum group. All your questions will be answered there if you just look around a bit more. This forum is bigger than just this section.

BTW, checking for updates with the phone will only check what your carrier offers. Right now, few carriers are providing 10.3.1 for Z10s right now - particularly in the U.S. (don't know where you're from, but there are quite a few carriers outside the U.S. that haven't updated "officially" either). That's why autoloaders or using Sachesi are usually the only options.

On the OPs question, 10.3.1 has been pretty good on my Z10. The only issue I get is that slight phone lag when answering, but it's not that bad, and I'll live with it until I decide to jump to 10.3.2. I also have the volume adjustment problem where I have to click the button several times for it to register one adjustment click. But only in some apps. It's more responsive in actual media apps like the video or music player apps. But games causes it problems.

As for the battery? Well, the Z10 battery sucks all on its own. Going back to when I got my phone in July of 2013, the battery hardly lasted a full work day. Coming up on 2 years later, and through many OS updates, this has not changed one single bit. My battery life still sucks. Sure, if I don't use it, it will say it will last a day and a half. But start actually using it - browsing, reading emails, calling my wife... suddenly it's got 6 hours left.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 09:30 AM
    AT&T USA is my provider
    04-21-15 10:14 AM
    AT&T USA is my provider
    Well, there is your problem...

I'm on AT&T too, but I've never relied on them for my updates. Even with my previous Torch 9800, and my Pearl 8100 before that.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 11:52 AM
    Don't hesitate and go ahead with the update! Yo will not regret!

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 12:30 PM
    Thank you everybody.
    I'll update the phone tomorrow!
    04-21-15 12:44 PM
    I updated about a month ago. I am so frustrated as the delay when making it receiving calls is unbelievable. I miss so many calls due to this delay. It seemed to rectify it's self after a couple of weeks but it's reverted back for some reason. Anyone else still got this problem or ideally how to fix it? Any help welcome.
    04-21-15 03:36 PM
    Thank you everybody.
    I'll update the phone tomorrow!
    Try 10.3.1.x and decide. I like better 10.2.x, find it smoother, more stable and with better looks. My personal preference is 10.2.2.1609 release, the best I found in terms of battery life and signal reception, better than any 10.3.1.x leak or official. Calendar on 10.3 is awful, phone has lags, UI lags more compared to 10.2.x, cloud storage access is painfully slow, camera auto focus is less accurate, etc. I'm not upgrading my Z10.

P.S. Also, no Adobe Flash Player in 10.3.x OS, you won't be able to view websites with Flash content.
    04-21-15 04:11 PM
    I updated to 10.3 as soon as it came out, gave it 10days then downgraded. Nothing in the update of real interest to me. Between the bugs and the old looking flat apps and childish giant coloured dots. Going back to 10.2 seemed more like an upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    vbdwork likes this.
    04-21-15 05:07 PM
    I just put 10.3.2.500 on one of my Z10S, seems more fluid by I haven't fully explored everything, not really taking notes since my main phone is a Passport and my second is a z30. I also have an extended battery on the z10 so I'm not really concerned with the battery life for now.

10.3.1 was stable enough for me to use for a while so I never bothered with the newer leaks until now. I guess I just had a lot of time on my hands. Lol! I'll report on my findings in a few days.

via Z10-ER
    04-22-15 08:26 PM
    I'll report on my findings in a few days.
    No matter what findings you have, there is no going back from 10.3.2.500 build. You won't be able to load any 10.2.1.x and 10.3.x OS versions anymore on your phone.
    04-23-15 12:35 AM
    No matter what findings you have, there is no going back from 10.3.2.500 build. You won't be able to load any 10.2.1.x and 10.3.x OS versions anymore on your phone.
    What's in this build which would stop you downgrading?

Is it just so good you won't want to go back or is there something physical that stops you going backwards?

WanShark69 likes this.
    04-23-15 07:26 AM
    Is it just so good you won't want to go back or is there something physical that stops you going backwards?
    It blacklists all previous OS releases and writes the information to the device. Going back is not possible. No Link reload, no autoloader, no security wipe or factory reset will help. There are reports in Beta/Leaked forum that the only previous OS not blacklisted (for now) is 10.2.2.x (autoloaders for 1531 and 1609 are available in Thurask's database).
    m3ach likes this.
    04-23-15 07:42 AM
34 12