I was emailed a 16 digit unlock code for my old Z10 (now have SIM card in a Z30). I've read a few threads on the topic but still have a few questions...

1. I've seen some people only use the first 8 digits of the unlock code, do I use 8 or 16?

2. I'm unclear on what SIM card to have in the phone when unlocking it. My SIM card from Bell (it's a Bell Z10) or that of another carrier?

3. I've read a few times that the phone has to be past it's contract date. I purchased the phone on a 3 year contract but am only 2 yrs in. Will that be an issue?

Any advice is appreciated

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 12:50 PM
    use a foreign sim (non bell if you don't understand foreign)
    use the code you were sent
    02-15-15 02:15 PM
    use a foreign sim (non bell if you don't understand foreign)
    use the code you were sent
    Thanks, I just tried it with my SIM card but it did not work. It displayed briefly that I successfully entered the code but the phone is not unlocked. When I see the person I'm giving the phone to I'll try theirs. Hopefully that works.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 03:24 PM
    1. With the Z10 you do not have to have an "alien" SIM in the phone, it will unlock anyway. Did mine and have no alien SIM. So it should work.
    2. Did you get the code from Bell? (As your profile says). If you got it from Bell, and the phone is a Bell Branded phone I would get on the phone to them and have them double check the number.

Just FYI: (from a 3rd party unlock service) "Bell Mobility = Unlocking Code can be 8 or 16 digits (Some Phone Model require both Unlocking Code & Service Provider Code)."
    02-16-15 08:26 AM
    1. With the Z10 you do not have to have an "alien" SIM in the phone, it will unlock anyway. Did mine and have no alien SIM. So it should work.
    2. Did you get the code from Bell? (As your profile says). If you got it from Bell, and the phone is a Bell Branded phone I would get on the phone to them and have them double check the number.

Just FYI: (from a 3rd party unlock service) "Bell Mobility = Unlocking Code can be 8 or 16 digits (Some Phone Model require both Unlocking Code & Service Provider Code)."
    Thanks for responding.

I tried my Bell SIM card and it did not unlock so that's why I'm thinking I may need an alien SIM. Also, because I'm still on contract I supposed that may be the reason why it didn't work and it might with the alien SIM.
    I wasn't asked to input the carrier info at any time. Once I inputted the unlock code the phone showed a display, briefly that I had successfully entered the code and that was it.

I didn't get the code from Bell but a 3rd party mobility store near me. I'm going to go back there tomorrow because today is a holiday and hopefully they can sort it out.

I googled "unlocking Z10" and several search results mentioned inserting an alien SIM while others did not and I don't want to keep trying because after 10 I'm SOL.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 01:46 PM
    One thing to keep in mind is that you only have 10 tries (or maybe less if you keep entering in wrong unlock codes) to unlock the phone or else it becomes permanently locked to that carrier. So if I were you, I'd go check out some youtube videos on how to unlock a Z10.

Also, try a full battery pull and reboot (pull the battery and the SIM card for exactly one minute, replace both) and it will boot up. Then check your unlock status.

FYI, when I unlocked my phone, only the short 8 digit code worked. The longer 16 digit code did not.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 02-16-15 at 02:04 PM.
    02-16-15 01:53 PM

FYI, when I unlocked my phone, only the short 8 digit code worked. The longer 16 digit code did not.
    Using the first 8 digits as opposed to the full 16 worked!! I find it strange that I get a 16 digit code to unlock the phone but it only works with the first 8. Many of the videos I watched on the topic also only used 8 digits while others used 16 so I guess it boils down to which model phone you have, your carrier etc...

Thanks to everyone for the help, much appreciated!

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 03:05 PM