Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,343 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default unlocking a Z10?

Anyone have any idea how this is going to work?

Will they come unlocked?

Will they lock it apple style?

Will they lock it lumia way?

Will it be a regular lock like on current BBs?
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2803cdac

Default unlocking a Z10

I hope that they are not hard to unlock like the iphone! Hopefully we are allowed to unlock our BB10 just like our blackberries now! We will hopefully find out Jan 30th! #BB10Believe

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter: @Dj_JrM
    #BB10Believe #Jan30th
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

Asked similar question here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...locked-760857/

Seems they'll be carrier-locked and hard to unlock
    CrackBerry Addict

Default unlocking a Z10

Quote Originally Posted by narci View Post
    Anyone have any idea how this is going to work?

Will they come unlocked?

Will they lock it apple style?

Will they lock it lumia way?

Will it be a regular lock like on current BBs?
    It really depends on the carrier and how long the device has been released. I worked at at&t during the 9900 launch and carried the device right when it was released. at&t is pretty good about giving their customers an unlock code for their device no questions asked, the unlock codes did not come for the 9900 for about 4-6 months after the release. I would assume this is going to be the same scenario when the Z10 is released.

I can't speak for Verizon in this sense and have no idea how easy or hard it is to unlock on their network.
    FLIDOW
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,343 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by tnewton3 View Post
    It really depends on the carrier and how long the device has been released. I worked at at&t during the 9900 launch and carried the device right when it was released. at&t is pretty good about giving their customers an unlock code for their device no questions asked, the unlock codes did not come for the 9900 for about 4-6 months after the release. I would assume this is going to be the same scenario when the Z10 is released.

I can't speak for Verizon in this sense and have no idea how easy or hard it is to unlock on their network.
    Thing is, the way the 9900 is locked...you don't NEED the carriers to unlock it for you. You can just buy an unlock code from ebay or use the BB unlock code generating program to unlock it yourself.

What I'm afraid of is apple style locking where there is a separate database used to lock phones and cannot only be unlocked via carrier. All carriers in Canada require you to finish your contract or buy the phone outright before they would unlock it plus you gotta pay a fee of at least $50.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Thing is, the way the 9900 is locked...you don't NEED the carriers to unlock it for you. You can just buy an unlock code from ebay or use the BB unlock code generating program to unlock it yourself.

What I'm afraid of is apple style locking where there is a separate database used to lock phones and cannot only be unlocked via carrier. All carriers in Canada require you to finish your contract or buy the phone outright before they would unlock it plus you gotta pay a fee of at least $50.
    Actually, $35 for TELUS Mobility customers. but you have to be a customer.
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Z10 #BlackBerryByChoice
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,228 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmercer94 View Post
    Actually, $35 for TELUS Mobility customers. but you have to be a customer.
    telus in alberta told me $40.00 to unlock

I call Telus Loyalty dept before I go in to pick up each new device - BB or other. They put a notation on my account with an unlock code. So I get the code when I pick it up. I have it unlocked before I leave the store. No charge.

Of note - I've had 2 of my 3 accounts since 1996, before Telus took over Clearnet. So, Telus Loyalty bends the rules for me quite often.
    CrackBerry Addict

Default unlocking a Z10

Correct the way that I was talking about was for free unlock from the carrier. It is doubtful that RIM is going to release their phones locked onto a carrier seeing as they are known for their ability to be taken overseas.

I would bet that you would be able to purchase unlock codes for the new bbry very soon after launch. I haven't worked around cell phones for almost 3 years now so obviously policies could have changed.
    FLIDOW
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Default unlocking a Z10

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar.cm View Post
    I call Telus Loyalty dept before I go in to pick up each new device - BB or other. They put a notation on my account with an unlock code. So I get the code when I pick it up. I have it unlocked before I leave the store. No charge.

Of note - I've had 2 of my 3 accounts since 1996, before Telus took over Clearnet. So, Telus Loyalty bends the rules for me quite often.
    i had an account in 08, and again in 2011 when i got this one, but i've unlocked BB for my friend for free, no idea how to unlock anything else it would be amazing if RIM sold the devices unlocked only.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Z10 #BlackBerryByChoice
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tnewton3 View Post

That's interesting. Does this mean that if the Z10 is like the Bold 9900, would it be impossible to purchase outright at launch?