I am thinking of unlocking my Z10 which is registered on the Bell network. I would like to hear from other Z10 users who have done this. I have no experience with this so need some reassurance that it is as simple as I have read it is. My interest is in being able to use my BB on the Rogers network in parts of Ontario where the Bell network won't support my Z10 and on vacations in the US.

The unlocking is not what I am concerned about but rather using the unlocked phone. Did unlocking make in difference in how your phone worked on your home network. If I buy a prepaid SIM card on another carrier is the process really as simple as removing one SIM card and inserting the other one?

Thanks,

Pat
    08-15-13 12:28 PM
    08-15-13 12:33 PM
    Once a device is unlocked, all it is, is literally swapping Bell sim out and Rogers sim in. And since both companies use the STL100-3, there will be no major network hiccups
    08-15-13 12:34 PM
    That sounds pretty easy. Will it be as easy with ATT in the US?
    08-15-13 12:53 PM
    That sounds pretty easy. Will it be as easy with ATT in the US?
    Yes since AT&T carries the STL100-3
    08-15-13 01:22 PM
    Unlocking Blackberry Z10 thats locked to Bell is possible, you can actually get it done at Welcome To Prepaid World, Accessories, Reups and Many More. for like $35 or so.. Once unlocked you'll be able to use it with any carrier that uses gsm..
    Bigpoint likes this.
    08-15-13 08:12 PM
    With rogers it cost 50.00 after having the device for 3 months.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 09:33 PM
    I used cellunlocker.net to unlock my rogers phone to use on bell. worked the first try and they were the cheapest.

Posted via CB10
    Bigpoint likes this.
    08-15-13 09:41 PM
    It sucks people pay for this. I got it done for free when i asked via att online chat. Lucky I guess. They asked why and I said so I can get updates via other carriers when i want. I had the code within minutes.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 10:30 PM
    I used cellunlocker.net to unlock my rogers phone to use on bell. worked the first try and they were the cheapest.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the reply. When you bought & installed the Bell SIM card does your phone # still work?
    08-19-13 06:41 AM
    Thanks for the reply. When you bought & installed the Bell SIM card does your phone # still work?
    Unlocking the device just means you can use it with all gsm networks. It will do nothing to your sim card and would absolutely not change your phone number.

Happy unlocking I did mine here: www.mtlunlocks.com

EDIT: Don't freak out if your code does not work! Try the first 8 digits aswell. Worked for me!

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 07:31 AM
    It sucks people pay for this. I got it done for free when i asked via att online chat. Lucky I guess. They asked why and I said so I can get updates via other carriers when i want. I had the code within minutes.

Posted via CB10
    Same here with O2 in the UK.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4633 O2 Uk
    08-19-13 08:23 AM
    Unlocking will not change your phone number, however, once unlocked, putting a SIM from another carrier in WILL change you phone number.

Fred

Unlocking the device just means you can use it with all gsm networks. It will do nothing to your sim card and would absolutely not change your phone number.

Happy unlocking I did mine here: MTL Unlocks - Your one stop mobile solution.

EDIT: Don't freak out if your code does not work! Try the first 8 digits aswell. Worked for me!

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 01:55 PM
    If you use a SIM from another carrier, your phone number will NOT be the same as you have now, unless you port your existing number over to the new carrier, assuming that they even allow that.
    For instance, I'm in the US and use AT&T. My phone is unlocked. When I travel to the Philippines, I get a SIM card from one of their local carriers (much cheaper). When I install that SIM, I now have a local Philippine phone number, NOT my number from the US.

Fred

08-19-13 01:58 PM
    I personally don't see the point in companies "locking" the devices! There are ways around it and people do it. And if they can't figure it out they have a friend do it, but someone who wants an unlocked device will have one, without the steeper price tag.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 03:06 PM