I had a question which I hope someone on this forum can assist with. I am a crackberry person. And yes, I am waiting to get my Z10, in white. I have never wanted an iPhone or a Droid, and I am really due for the upgrade considering the beat up old curve which I borrowed from a friend to replace a beat up Storm 2 is ready to go out the window.

So here is my question: I have unlimited data with Verizon, as does my brother. Both of us are considering upgrading to Z10s. Should we buy subsidized phones whenever they decide to release the damn Z10, or should we pay retail to retain our unlimited data plans.

I guess it is a question of economics, but I am thinking I will use 2-3 GB as will my brother on a Z10 which means we'd need a family share plan of 6-8GBs. I also figure we'd stress about overages. I also figure with Wifi Hotspot action, we can run up data usage numbers pretty quickly.

Anyone else facing this conundrum? Any advice? I want to sort this out in my head before they release this phone so I can cop it immediately.
    03-10-13 10:57 PM
    Also in the same boat. I pay $59.99 for unlimited text and data with 450 minutes. Plus, my 20% discount.
    03-10-13 11:00 PM
    in canada we can get phone upgrades and retain the same plans as long as we renew for the set term (2/3 years). Im currently on bell and I qualify for a phone upgrade in 2 days. I'm going in, renewing my contract for 3 years, and paying $149.99 while retaining my data/voice plan. No changes neccessary.

I have heard of certain retailers in Canada trying to get those uneducated in the ways of bb to upgrade to plans they don't need. This is a separate issue but most people should be able to keep their current plans for upgrade to the z10 unless of course they are only partial bb plans (like bb messenger/email only)
    03-10-13 11:04 PM
    Verizon was great about that until they tiered their data plans. Which I get an am fine with, but their new rule now is if you are a legacy unlimited plan, and want a discounted phone, you must forfeit the legacy plan and get a new one, unless if you buy the phone put right.

I wouldn't care so much, but no one can beat my price point. Verizon is one of the best providers in my opinion, and I have had 3 (ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon). I was at the Grand Canyon last year and I had service, but parents ATT iPhone didn't, Haha.
    03-10-13 11:10 PM
    So should I buy at retail to retain unlimited data or take the subsidized route and be nervous about overages. I presume to get the 6-8 GB share plan I will end up paying $20-$50 more per month than I do now which would mean I'd pay off the differential between unsubsidized and the subsidized in the matter of less than a year.

I am confused and not sure what is optimal to do. I'd love some feedback. Especially from those who might have faced same decision. It'd be great to know how much data a power user out there on the Z10 is using per month.
    03-10-13 11:21 PM
    I have the same question as the rest of you. Should buy retail and stay on unlimited data ?

A question for anyone who has a Z10. How much data have you used over the last month or more?
    03-14-13 09:51 AM
    I just preordered for $600. Difference between my unlimited plan and the 12GB (conservative) would be equal in price in less than 6 months with no more unlimited data. Never worth it to give up truly unlimited 4G LTE IMO.
    03-14-13 10:01 AM
    Hold up. Ok, have you actually checked your data usage? You can view it online at vzw.com. I have three lines on my account sharing 6GB and we don't ever pass 4GB. And we all have smartphones. Alot of people entirely overestimate their data usage....so look at your past usage online before deciding. The biggest users of data are streaming movies. Just an FYI. I work for a retailer and have seen this a hundred times. I gave up my own unlimited data hesitantly but in the end it turned out fine.
    03-14-13 10:34 AM
    Hold up. Ok, have you actually checked your data usage? You can view it online at vzw.com. I have three lines on my account sharing 6GB and we don't ever pass 4GB. And we all have smartphones. Alot of people entirely overestimate their data usage....so look at your past usage online before deciding. The biggest users of data are streaming movies. Just an FYI. I work for a retailer and have seen this a hundred times. I gave up my own unlimited data hesitantly but in the end it turned out fine.
    My other line that I have only for 4G LTE is a thunderbolt also unlimited. Use 15-30GB/month. Need the same for the Z10.
    03-14-13 10:41 AM
    My other line that I have only for 4G LTE is a thunderbolt also unlimited. Use 15-30GB/month. Need the same for the Z10.
    There is not difference in pricing for 3G/4G. Things don't change because the spectrum does. And HOW are you using that much data?? Do you not have access to wifi?
    03-14-13 10:45 AM
    I refuse to pay more for less, so I will buy my next phone (Z10, Q10, or HTC one) outright and take advantage of the unlimited Data. Especially with the loss of BIS for data compression and the inclusion of 4G data speeds, I expect my data usage to increase and I already use +2GB a month on my 9930. I have 450min, unlimited text, unlimited data for $80 a month after taxes and fees, if I move to a 4GB plan, I'd be looking at $110 a month pre taxes and fees. If I spread that across 24 months, you're looking at at LEAST $720 + $200 for the phone when buying the phone outright would only cost me $6-700. And that does not take into account the increased internet/media capabilities of a new phone over my 9930. Unless it makes financial sense to you individually, I don't see the advantage of moving away from the Unlimited Data plan if you have it.

~Ex
    03-14-13 10:51 AM
    There is not difference in pricing for 3G/4G. Things don't change because the spectrum does. And HOW are you using that much data?? Do you not have access to wifi?
    I know there is no pricing difference. I have 2 lines both unlimited data. Thunderbolt is used as a hotspot and can be used for media and apps too. Something the 9930 isn't used for. The Z10 has hundred MB app downloads and HD movie capabilities so I will obviously need many GBs of data.

Pretty much was Existence_Inc said above me.
    03-14-13 11:25 AM
    I had to use an upgrade on another of my lines to get the discounted price to avoid losing my unlimited and yes most don't get near using a lot of data. But tethering is legal in the states with a 3d party app (they were sued) and I want to keep it. It is lost with the use of a subsidized upgrade. Just pre-ordered 5 ago
    03-14-13 12:03 PM
    Does Verizon throttle your speed at some point ? AT&t throttles their unlimited data plan after you reach 3 gig
    03-14-13 02:03 PM
    Have not had that problem personally then while I am a pig, I am not a data hog - I just want to able to be one
    03-14-13 02:49 PM
    saw in another thread that FCC doesnt allow throttling of 4G. I guess we will find out soon enough

Does Verizon throttle your speed at some point ? AT&t throttles their unlimited data plan after you reach 3 gig

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-14-13 02:56 PM
    Just left the VZW store and had a nice chat with a rep. My upgrade is due 4/15. They wont budge on 2 weeks early. I also have unlimited data. I have never used more than .5 GB on my 9930. They said I could get the Z10 for 199 with 2 GB or pay an extra 20 for 5GB. There just is something that doesnt seem right to have to pay more for less. So I am thinking both ways. Pay 599.00 and keep unlimited or save the 400.00 and see how 2 GB goes . I just am afraid that I will zoom a lot of data on the Z10. I don't stream music or movies. Vzw assures me that I would not go over 2GB . HMMM the other bad part is having to wait an extra 2 weeks for a Z10
    03-14-13 03:18 PM
    If you're seriously using 6-8 gigs of data now, I would suggest to keep the unlimited data plan. If your extra data cost is $30 per month that's $720 over the 2 year contract ($960 if the cost is $40) versus saving $800 on subsidizing the phone purchase.
    03-14-13 03:56 PM
    I would keep your unlimited plan, and pay full price for the phone. The bonus of that is chances are you will become a free agent by the time you are ready for your next phone after the Z10.

I wish I could get an unlimited plan, but I'm on Rogers in Canada.

Posted from my Zed10!
    03-14-13 05:28 PM