VPN connection is quite critical to my daily work, my Playbook has a generic IKEv2 VPN connection working setup.

Today I got my Z10 and setup the same VPN connection, I am yet to get a SIM card for it, but with wifi connection available I attempted to setup the same VPN connection.

My Z10 does not seem to attempt to connect at all, when I click on the VPN connection, it immediately says "unknown error", there are no VPN log entries.

Do you have a similar issue? Does it require a SIM card to attempt VPN connection?

Thank you.
    04-16-13 06:01 AM
    Which vpn you use? Which vpn can use on than witopian?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:24 AM
    All right! I found the solution. This has nothing to do with sim card.
    I am sure this is a bug in BB 10 OS.

If you are using a generic IKEv2 VPN with pre-shared credentials and gateway credentials, normally you would use "IPv4" as Authentication ID type. However BB 10 OS does not seem to like it, it is the cause of the "Unknown Error".

To work around the issue, configure your server (strongswan or openswan) to accept Email Address authentication, then on BB 10 you create the VPN profile by using "Email Address" as authentication ID type.

Hopefully this bug will be fixed soon.
    04-16-13 09:59 PM
    Looks like this bug is still present in 10.1?
    Sigh. Looking up instructions for email with now, too bad i found a very straightforward setup guide that is good until this, playbook owners rejoice?
    Howard's blog: Create a VPN server for Blackberry Playbook (or Blackberry 10) using StrongSwan

I changed it to email (possibly correctly), but it seems unchanged in its erroring.
    05-26-13 03:58 PM
    For us this is a new problem that only showed up once we upgraded to 10.1. We've been using IKEv2 with the z10s, logging into a Windows 2008 RRAS using certs generated from our CA for quite some time since the update. Hopefully Blackberry can either fix this or simply go back to what they did in 10.0.x which worked well for us at least
    PS. vpn still works fine using the ol' Playbooks even when they use the z10s as hotspots.

FYI here's the settings we use:
    Gateway Type: Microsoft IKEv2 VPN Server
    Auth Type: EAP-MSCHAPv2
    Auth ID Type: FQDN
    Auth ID: (use windows AD credentials.)

Gate Auth Type: PKI
    Gate Auth ID Type: Identy Cert Dist Name.
    Gateway CA Cert: (our cert for our VPN server.)
    05-27-13 08:49 PM
    I am on the same boat, I think. I was able to VPN using IKEv2 on BB10 10.0, now with 10.1 it's not even reaching the server.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 11:21 PM
    Check this post at BB support forums - VPN using Microsoft IKEv2 protocol don't works - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Now I'm using PureVPN service (IKEv2 protocol) without any problem via mobile network and Wi-Fi.
    06-15-13 03:42 PM
    Check this post at BB support forums - VPN using Microsoft IKEv2 protocol don't works - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Now I'm using PureVPN service (IKEv2 protocol) without any problem via mobile network and Wi-Fi.
    Nice find, but their IKEv2 service is only for US, Canada, and Romania.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 12:10 AM
    I am on the same boat, I think. I was able to VPN using IKEv2 on BB10 10.0, now with 10.1 it's not even reaching the server.

Posted via CB10
    Can you store a local copy of the very? Is it signed? How many simultaneous connections can you make? Just curious how yo begin ts this.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 12:40 AM
    Thanks for the fix!
    My Z10 was giving "Unable to connect to vpn profile. Unknown error"
    Changing "Authentication ID Type" to Email Address fixed it for me. .
    Did not need to change any config on my StrongSwan server.

FYI
    Here is article on setting up StrongSwan on Amazon AWS that I used to setup my StrongSwan server.
    forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-z10-f254/free-vpn-strongswan-ipsec-ikev2-z10-z30-q10-862588/

AT&T BB Z10 OS 10.1.0.2019
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 09-23-14 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Fixed link.
    ddhowland likes this.
    09-23-14 03:36 PM