Hi all. I have had my Z10 for a whole month now and by far the most annoying "bug" (if I may call it so), is every now and then being unable to send a particular e-mail.

Basically I'll try to send an e-mail, and I'll see the status of the e-mail changing to a wave icon, which means it's attempting to send it, but the icon suddenly turns into one which resembles a mini red STOP sign. I go into the e-mail and check the header and see the following message:

"Message Status: Protocol layer was unable to send a message"

And then no matter how many times I click on Resend, it retries, but ultimately ends up not sending it. And I have even tried copying the body text, deleting the message and creating a new one, but it just won't work! So far I haven't identified a particular pattern. It doesn't seem to be a problem associated with any particular sender's address, could be anybody. And it isn't specific to any type of message - could be new, reply or forward. And it doesn't seem to be a network issue, as I will keep trying to resend from locations with perfect signal - just doesn't work. And the e-mail seems to work fine, as I will keep receiving e-mails and am even able to send other e-mails.

I'm pulling my hair out and failing to understand why this is happening! I'm not on BES. What happened to the rock solid BlackBerry e-mail we have all come to rely on!!!??? Please shed some light if you can.
    03-05-13 10:53 AM
    Anyone else having this problem, or is it just me???
    03-07-13 09:29 PM
    I'm having the same problem on 1 of my 5 email address, only just started after recent update. Think there's some threads about problem.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 04:10 PM
    Has anyone had any success with this?

For some reason no matter what port I try or settings I can't get it to work.

If I use gmail or hotmail it works fine as soon as I use an imap e-mail address and try to send an e-mail with attachment it comes back with protocol layer was unable to send a message

However normal plain text emails work fine.
    03-10-13 11:51 AM
    Has anyone had any success with this?

For some reason no matter what port I try or settings I can't get it to work.

If I use gmail or hotmail it works fine as soon as I use an imap e-mail address and try to send an e-mail with attachment it comes back with protocol layer was unable to send a message

However normal plain text emails work fine.
    Just had this happen yesterday with my yahoo account. I was able to send the email using my laptop so I assume it's a Z10 problem but haven't figured it out.
    03-10-13 12:29 PM
    Started getting this today. Very annoying.

Edit : Just changed my account settings to use port 587 using TLS encryption and I can now email the addresses that were being stopped
    Last edited by robgallop; 03-11-13 at 02:37 PM.
    03-11-13 02:24 PM
    Got the problem as well

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 12:20 AM
    Changed ports doesn't work

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 12:33 AM
    That's not a good news.
    Cause I will use Z10 for work and life Email.
    03-13-13 01:07 AM
    It is a temporary activesync problem. I got this problem this morning but it is okay now.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 01:17 AM
    Not using activesync
    Pop3 or imap. Have occasional issues with both protocols.

Interesting : not always same address that had issue. But when an email fails can't resend that email successfully but can send others.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 01:25 AM
    There are already a few threads discussing this. It's a bug. I called my service provider and they took confirmed it's a bug and I have wait for the fix in the next software update. No problem receiving though.
    03-13-13 01:26 AM
    Have the same problem. Not sending when at home. Appears to be a wifi conflict. Switched wifi off on the Z10 and it works. Weird, but have not figured out a fix. Assuming that it is a glitch I wait for an update. ****ty glitch though.
    03-20-13 07:09 PM
    I just realised that quite few of the affected users report that their ISP is 1&1, so it looks like it's the particular way 1&1 servers operate that OS10 doesn't like for some reason. Here is the BlackBerry unresolved issue: KB33736-"Protocol layer was unable to send a message" when replying to an email sent to a 1&1 email integration

Could you shout if your ISP is 1&1 please.
    03-22-13 12:27 PM
    Yes my ISP is 1&1. Sometimes it works others it doesn't. It's the only email that I'm having problems with & its the most important one, my business email.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 01:01 PM
    I have the same issue. I can receive imap email but can not send.

Is it confirmed to be a BB10 bug?
    03-24-13 09:00 AM

03-24-13 09:11 AM
    The only workaround to resolve the issue is to downgrade the OS to 10.0.9.x which can be done via the Blackberry Link software.

On link goto settings tab on the top right corner (gear icon) and click on it, click on reload device software and it will prompt that the OS 10.0.9.372 is available.

Kindly reload the OS and the emails will work properly.
    03-25-13 12:03 PM
    when is BB going to fix this?..call me old-fashioned but for BB not to work with a fairly popular email provider is something they might put some priority on??????? no movement on the KB item at BB support
    03-27-13 01:45 PM
    I fixed my problem after noticing my hotmail worked but my other hosted accounts didn't.

Had to use SSL.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 10:48 PM
    I have the same problem when on my home wifi, my hotmail wont send emails. However as soon as i turn wifi off, my phone will send and receive emails from my hotmail using the lte network.
    03-27-13 10:55 PM

Yes, it is a confirmed bug. Please see the following:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rsions-779341/
    03-29-13 08:55 PM
    A recent OS release by AT&T for the Z10, according to several users, has resolved their SMTP sending issues.

If you are an AT&T customer I would recommend upgrading to see if it helps in your case. Other carriers should be receiving similiar updates soon.

Bear in mind it's always a good idea to do a backup before any major update, ie by using the free Blackberry Link utility.

Enjoy.
    04-12-13 10:19 PM
    Wish this would get fixed, I can't reply to any of my 1&1 emails & its my business account. I have to keep sending new emails, cutting & pasting from received emails its a right pane in the ***.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 05:30 PM
    Wish this would get fixed, I can't reply to any of my 1&1 emails & its my business account. I have to keep sending new emails, cutting & pasting from received emails its a right pane in the ***.

What software release/OS version are you on?
    04-24-13 07:01 PM
40 12