In about 7 weeks, I'll be moving out of the metropolitan Phoenix area to a smaller town about an hour and a half north. I currently have Tmobile and the area only has edge network. The house I'm looking at has no cellphone reception at all. When will I be able to use my wifi for making UMA calls and texts?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 11:16 PM
    In about 7 weeks, I'll be moving out of the metropolitan Phoenix area to a smaller town about an hour and a half north. I currently have Tmobile and the area only has edge network. The house I'm looking at has no cellphone reception at all. When will I be able to use my wifi for making UMA calls and texts?

Posted via CB10
    It all depends on if/when the carriers decide to enable it. Here's a link I found to the topic on Blackberry fourms Z10 and UMA or Wi-Fi Calling - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    rango10 likes this.
    05-04-13 11:31 PM
    There is no ETA for this update, and I doubt there will be anyone that can tell you anything. Most likely any information you're give at this point would be wrong. While I can fully understand a wireless carrier, fitting and working well for someone, why do so many T-Mobile customers around here stick with them with no coverage? Why are you dependent on UMA/Wifi Calling over your home internet, for a service you all pay T-Mo to provide you? When you move to a new Area/State/House whatever, and your wireless carrier has pathetic coverage in said area, then it's time to move on. If you plan on not having a land line in the new house I'd suggest changing carriers, as currently no one knows how long it will be before Wifi calling comes out.

Posted via CB10
    husnain1 and dudoo like this.
    05-04-13 11:33 PM
    I would love to switch carriers but I'm on a family plan with 5 other people and we all split the bill 5 ways. It makes for a very inexpensive cell phone plan.
    Moving to this location, I was unaware of prior to signing a new two year contract with my new Z10

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 11:41 PM
    Didn't the Z come out after the "Uncarrier" BS that doesn't really save money plans came into effect? If so you should just be able to trade the device back in, provided T-Mo is doing things like the Euro carriers. If not I was told by T-Mo a few years ago that if I could show proof of change of address where I didn't have service that the contract could be terminated w/o ETF. If you try and take this route make sure to speak with "Customer Retentions/Loyalty". They're the one department that actually knows what they're doing. If you are able to get out of the contract ETF free, and keep the phone (unlikely with the way T-Mo has been doing things recently), You could always unlock it and use an AT&T MVNO like Straight Talk or NET10.

I would love to switch carriers but I'm on a family plan with 5 other people and we all split the bill 5 ways. It makes for a very inexpensive cell phone plan.
    Moving to this location, I was unaware of prior to signing a new two year contract with my new Z10

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 11:53 PM
    God forbid tmobile offer a service for the convenience of its customers. My service is fine for the most part except in my basement, where uma is the sex. Anxiously waiting for it.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 11:55 PM
    I like the way you're thinking. I may have to go this route. It is definitely worth a shot. And as far as customer service goes, the loyalty department is the only way to get things done with Tmobile lol. Thank you for the idea
    Didn't the Z come out after the "Uncarrier" BS that doesn't really save money plans came into effect? If so you should just be able to trade the device back in, provided T-Mo is doing things like the Euro carriers. If not I was told by T-Mo a few years ago that if I could show proof of change of address where I didn't have service that the contract could be terminated w/o ETF. If you try and take this route make sure to speak with "Customer Retentions/Loyalty". They're the one department that actually knows what they're doing. If you are able to get out of the contract ETF free, and keep the phone (unlikely with the way T-Mo has been doing things recently), You could always unlock it and use an AT&T MVNO like Straight Talk or NET10.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 12:05 AM
    Did I say I didn't like UMA/Wifi calling? No, I didn't. You're right for low basement levels and things like that it's great, but I've seen to many people that have no coverage in their house, or anywhere near their immediate area stick with T-Mo all on the premise of UMA/Wifi. Basment, and naturally signal challenging areas I can understand the appeal of UMA, what I can't understand is sticking with a company that technically doesn't provide what you pay for. Also UMA on T-Mo has been extinct for a few years now from what I can tell. What you technically have is only WiFi calling, main difference with Wifi calling if you leave the Wifi area the call will drop, UMA will hand the calls off to the nearest tower, also UMA is hardware based where Wifi calling is just software (which is why it can be rolled out in an update).

God forbid tmobile offer a service for the convenience of its customers. My service is fine for the most part except in my basement, where uma is the sex. Anxiously waiting for it.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-05-13 12:10 AM
    No problem! I've been dealing with them for about 10 years now, may as well put the info I've learned to good use.

I like the way you're thinking. I may have to go this route. It is definitely worth a shot. And as far as customer service goes, the loyalty department is the only way to get things done with Tmobile lol. Thank you for the idea

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 12:11 AM
    You know Uma Has got great advantages. Visited overseas and used Uma via wifi to keep in touch with those back home. Anyway Wifi is just about everywhere cell towers are. For people who travel overseas they don't need to buy a new sim or unlock there phones...just turn it on at the same cost as their normal plan.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-05-13 12:14 AM
    Yes, it has great advantages. However as stated above ^ I never said I didn't like UMA/Wifi calling. I simply think many people are too dependent on it in cases which T-Mo should be providing the service these people are paying for.

You know Uma Has got great advantages. Visited overseas and used Uma via wifi to keep in touch with those back home. Anyway Wifi is just about everywhere cell towers are. For people who travel overseas they don't need to buy a new sim or unlock there phones...just turn it on at the same cost as their normal plan.
    05-05-13 12:17 AM
    Exactly! Last May I went to Vico, Italy for a month. On my 9900, it was the perfect means of communication with my family back at home.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 12:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    Is this UMA only good for you making calls? No one can call you back, correct?

If the above is the case, I think when 10.1 is release and Skype is officially available on the Z10, you might have a work-around while you wait.

Skype is able to make wifi to landline or cellular. I pay $2.99 a month for unlimited wifi calls to landline and cellular anywhere in Canada and the U.S.

You can even specify that the person you call will see your number as your real phone number so it looks like you called from your cell phone.

Check it out, been using it for 6 months: http://www.skype.com/en/rates/

You can pay monthly and there is no contract, cancel at any time.
    05-05-13 12:34 AM
    See if T-Mobile is will give you a signal booster... that way you would get a full signal at your new place... not sure if it will work though since it does need a 3G/4G signal for it to work, but it's worth a shot.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 12:53 AM
    Signal boost would be nice. The entire town is on edge though with Tmobile. The house I'm moving to is so remote (tucked into a valley about 4miles from the main town) that neither did a Verizon or ATT phone have service either.

Skype may be a good solution and something I may now consider also.

UMA and wifi calling allows you to send/receive text/calls. So it would still be my preferred choice.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 01:08 AM
    UMA will never be released for the Z10 (and I guess the Q10.) It's a hardware feature, and given the relatively few carriers that would be using it, it's probably not cost effective to include into phones anymore.

WiFi calling--the next best thing--some say is dependent upon carriers, while others say is in the hands of BBRY. See the (somewhat contentious) discussion here.
    FantomLightning likes this.
    05-05-13 02:23 AM
    Just have a random and one off question, and I wanna ask even though the answer will most likely be no. Does Sprint have coverage in the area/house? And if Sprint doesn't did Nextel? Because the 800MHZ spectrum from Nextel will be utilized in the Sprint network after Nextel is shut down. If you ended up going with them you wouldn't be able to get the Z10, only the Q10 and only when its finally released. However if they're the only provider that has service, and you want it badly enough it may be the only option.

Signal boost would be nice. The entire town is on edge though with Tmobile. The house I'm moving to is so remote (tucked into a valley about 4miles from the main town) that neither did a Verizon or ATT phone have service either.

Skype may be a good solution and something I may now consider also.

UMA and wifi calling allows you to send/receive text/calls. So it would still be my preferred choice.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 12:06 AM
    Yes, you can make and receive calls over wifi-calling. The advantage is that no matter where you are in the world, people back home can call you for free using your regular cell number -- and the other way around, providing it's a "local" call.

UMA is dead, as mentioned, it's a hardware-dependant feature. T-Mo used Kineto in the past and is now using IMS. Both are software only and can be added OTA. BBerry is very likely to get it, they have released a Beta version for Windows phones.

Where I live ALL cell signals suck. My son needs a booster for his iPhone (AT&T) and it barely works. My wife has UMA on her older BBerry, I have Kineto on my last Android. Work great. We're on T-Mo; no one else has it of big 4.

And BTW, my son cannot receive calls over his booster. Out-going only.
    05-06-13 04:20 AM
    BBerry is very likely to get it, they have released a Beta version for Windows phones.
    When you say 'they', do you mean MS/HTC/Nokia or TMO? Any idea?
    Last edited by raino; 05-06-13 at 09:26 AM.
    05-06-13 08:46 AM
    Unfortunately 10 years of dealing with them has lead you to give out complete misinformation.. there is no trade in program. If you did buy your Z10 on the Simple Choice plan the window to return your phone should still be open. There are many Android phones with WiFi calling that you could snag and do a sim swap with.

People love WiFi Calling because it enables Calls and Texts where there is no T-Mobile coverage, it's a great asset and more often than not other carriers are also dodgy unless we're talking rural. I use WiFi calling at court houses, hotels, and other places where there's no signal from any other carrier -- but there is WiFi and thus, T-Mobile coverage! Much like the OP mentioned, Verizon and AT&T also don't work.

And speaking of which in rural AZ, Sprint coverage is dead last. Don't even waste your time.
    05-06-13 09:19 AM
    UMA will never be released for the Z10 (and I guess the Q10.) It's a hardware feature, and given the relatively few carriers that would be using it, it's probably not cost effective to include into phones anymore.

WiFi calling--the next best thing--some say is dependent upon carriers, while others say is in the hands of BBRY. See the (somewhat contentious) discussion here.
    Are you sure that it is not a carrier problem?

A few years ago when I got a newly released Torch 9800, I had UMA calling. That was until Rogers found out that my modem was allowing the UMA ports through onto their network without me buying their voice compatible router and paying for their VOIP service. Once they blocked the port on my cable modem UMA stopped working.

Posted via CB10 v1.3 on my Zed10 10.0.10.85 on Rogers
    05-06-13 09:36 AM

A few years ago when I got a newly released Torch 9800, I had UMA calling. That was until Rogers found out that my modem was allowing the UMA ports through onto their network without me buying their voice compatible router and paying for their VOIP service. Once they blocked the port on my cable modem UMA stopped working.

They didn't expect people to actually find and afford a voice compatible router...

05-06-13 09:38 AM
    No, I'm not. I really don't know, because both sides have compelling arguments. One thing I do know is that if I'm ever in Canada long term, I won't be getting service through Rogers
    05-06-13 09:47 AM
    No, I'm not. I really don't know, because both sides have compelling arguments. One thing I do know is that if I'm ever in Canada long term, I won't be getting service through Rogers
    I do have free handset protection though ;-)

Enjoy

Posted via CB10 v1.4.2 on my Zed10 10.0.10.85 on Rogers
    05-07-13 06:29 PM
    Somebody is a bit pissy for only having 3 posts. I LEFT T-Mo looonnnggg before the current BS plans were instated. I even said "If they're doing anything like the Euro's you should be able to trade it in." I didn't say it was a definite...

Unfortunately 10 years of dealing with them has lead you to give out complete misinformation.. there is no trade in program. If you did buy your Z10 on the Simple Choice plan the window to return your phone should still be open. There are many Android phones with WiFi calling that you could snag and do a sim swap with.

People love WiFi Calling because it enables Calls and Texts where there is no T-Mobile coverage, it's a great asset and more often than not other carriers are also dodgy unless we're talking rural. I use WiFi calling at court houses, hotels, and other places where there's no signal from any other carrier -- but there is WiFi and thus, T-Mobile coverage! Much like the OP mentioned, Verizon and AT&T also don't work.

And speaking of which in rural AZ, Sprint coverage is dead last. Don't even waste your time.
    05-08-13 10:54 PM