By the way, the post you quoted is incorrect. The magnet definitely is used to disable the touch input, and it does save power. It's quite straightforward to measure the (slight) power saving using Battery Guru. Even the part about "unlock gesture is still active" is clearly wrong, since you can easily use a regular magnet (not in a case) to demonstrate that the touch input is in fact disabled when the magnet is sensed.
    There's another way to test it, if you have a flip case with magnet. Turn on lock screen gestures, then close the cover. The screen goes dark. Then lift up just part of the cover--it's hinged in the middle, so you can do this. Try to wake up the phone, with either a swipe or the power button. Neither one works. As long as that cover is closed, the phone is asleep.
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-23-13 12:18 PM
    Thanks for the clarification on the magnet disabling touch input. I tried it and you're right. The only thing I don't understand is how the swipe-up from the bottom bezel will take you to the home screen if in fact the phone is still locked (on the "lock screen") and Allow Gestures when Locked is turned off. Does my question make any sense or am I just clueless?
    I don't think you're clueless. The main issue is that they call it the "lock screen" even when the phone is not password-locked. That's why I used the term "so-called" in my post. I think the "Allow Gestures when Locked" is also a poor choice of terms, since they really mean "Allow Gestures when in Standby", from the looks of things. Perhaps it's classic BlackBerry terminology from the old OS... I won't attempt to critique it more than this, since it might all be deliberate, but I'd call it totally confusing as currently written.
    05-23-13 03:56 PM
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go!
    06-12-13 01:56 PM
    Turning off LTE and going to 4G is the only suggestion that has worked to make a significant impact in battery life for me. I don't do much with the phone anyway, and if I need a faster connection I can always turn it back on.
    With LTE on, I get two days use, and that is with turning the phone off at night. And my useage is only for light texting, emailing, nothing heavy.
    With LTE off, I'm on my third day with 66% battery still left. Similar to my old blackberry bold.
    06-13-13 09:39 AM
    Turning off LTE and going to 4G is the only suggestion that has worked to make a significant impact in battery life for me. I don't do much with the phone anyway, and if I need a faster connection I can always turn it back on.
    With LTE on, I get two days use, and that is with turning the phone off at night. And my useage is only for light texting, emailing, nothing heavy.
    With LTE off, I'm on my third day with 66% battery still left. Similar to my old blackberry bold.
    wat da....
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-19-13 01:31 PM
    When can we expect update on battery guru?????

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 01:43 PM
    I found turning off the WiFi mode when not using WiFi saved a lot of battery power. Turning it off stops the phone from constantly scanning for new WiFi sources.

I found running the screen brightness at about 60% to 70% maximum saves some battery power. Another thing that saves battery power is to lower the speed to the equivalent of 3G. Using LTE or 4G uses a lot more battery power. Just lowering the speed made a big saving of battery energy.

Using WiFi Hotspot will consume greater battery power. Turning off the NFC and tethering mode also saves more battery power. I found leaving Bluetooth on or off did not make much of any difference.

Closing all user applications that are not being used or required helps a lot to save battery power.
    08-19-13 04:37 PM
    Already turned of the Lock Gesture few hours after buying the few. Kinda figured out that this will consume considerable amount of battery juice since certain the part of the screen and maybe even parts of the phone should always be ON waiting for the owner to make an upward movement from the bottom bezel.

For those users that are afraid that they might over use the unlock/lock key ( the one on top of the phone) you can use key W to C ( those only with numeric char) and the zero (0) key to turn on the screen of the phone, once screen lights up you can now use the slide to up gesture to fully unlock screen.

Also to really lessen the use of unlock/lock key you can set phone to lock itself after a certain number of seconds/minutes. This will also help in conserving the battery life.

Hope this helps
    09-01-13 12:07 AM
    AS time goes on there is less and less indexing of new information. You add more apps at first usually. Also your keyboard's new words become fewer...hence the phone "settles in". After a while you should see better battery life until such time as the battery starts degradind due to the number of charges. Lion batteries nowadays seem to have 1000 or more cycles in them...
    I've allowed gestures when phone locked since day one and haven't once experienced battery drain overnight. I use Bedside Mode.

To the battery experts on the forum, I've a bugging question - it's everywhere on the Internet that lithium batteries should not be fully drained in the normal course of usage as it shortens battery life. It also says that the battery doesn't need conditioning. Please explain how is or that my battery seems to be able to retain power better than the first week I had it? Peter, you posted in another thread that you think it's a mirage, a fragment of our imagination. But as a user, and I know the regularity of my usage being a constant everyday, the battery has become better.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 01:46 AM
    I don't consider swipe to unlock a "key" feature. Security is a key feature. BBM is one also. Just one guy"s opinion...
    It's a shame people have to disable key features of the Z10 to get decent battery life from it.
    09-01-13 01:54 AM
    OK, this is going to be my test...
    How big or a magnet do I need for the "holster magent feature"? Will a fridge magnet work?
    I am going to sew/glue a magent into my jeans posket. The pocket for my Z10. This will create a HOLSTER POCKET (patent pending, lol). My phone is in my pocket a lot when not in use and will go into "super battery save mode!" (patent pending...) while in there.
    Oh I am a genius! Muhahahahahaa!
    Seriously.... I am going to try it. Peter what size magnet do I need? and are you any good at sewing? Do you like pizza?

Brian
    Just crazy glue a fridge magnet to your leg where your pockets are. Save all that sewing.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 08:57 PM
    Haven't read this in while
    01-12-14 05:51 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely significantly improves my Z10 battery life (using 10.1.0.2019 software release on AT&T while I await 10.2.1 update) but life seems to be < 4 hours with active use (e.g., calls, reading emails, web browsing, playing MP3 files).

I have already done most of the items I see on the board (e.g., reducing frequency of synching on calendar, contacts, email), shortening duration of screen timeout, lowering screen brightness and audio volume settings, turn off WiFi, location services always. In fact, I have even taken to disabling bluetooth when I'm not making calls / driving and periodically putting phone in airplane mode to improve battery life. And I'm plugging phone in a ton which is a real annoyance.

What else am I missing? Does 10.2.1 provide any meaningful improvement in battery life other than better tools to measure battery life and view how applications impact power consumption?

Thanks in advance.
    01-30-14 09:29 PM
    Turning off LTE made the biggest difference for me. LTE at my home and work is very poor and battery dies fast when it's enabled. Also turning off gestures while locked in the Display setting - that also made a noticeable difference.
    01-30-14 09:42 PM
    I'm definitely trying this! I'm all for saving even just a little battery juice if that's what I need to make one last emergency call/text.

Keep The Faith ? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    01-30-14 10:07 PM
    Thanks oddboy. Already turned off gestures. Tried to turn off LTE via escreen but have not succeeded. I'm getting the code from the other site and trying to enter it in escreen but it is not working. I'm swiping up and getting a keyboard and entering the code and pushing return but nothing else happens after that. What am I missing?
    01-30-14 10:13 PM
    when I go to display I don't see gestures anywhere. I have the latest os.

I have: "swipe to wake"
    01-30-14 11:03 PM
217 ... 789