Transfer address book from 9800 to Z10 issue!
I got my BB Z10 yesterday. Was all chuffed like looking forward to having right old fiddle with it (the phone I meant) and it all started off WRONG! T-Mobile sent me a standard sized sim card and I was charged £10 in town for a micro-Sim. I didn't stay to complain too much as I wanted to get cracking.
I have been for the last 2 days trying and trying to get my address book contacts from my BB 9800 to the Z10 without success!
I've bluetoothed the contacts over and my 9800 said '' 433 contacts sent'' my Z10 says received a .vcf'' I click open and nothing except the first number from my contacts list is all I can see on my Z10.
Ive used Blackberry Link also that tells me 'All data has been Transferred'' from my 9800 to my Z10....................guess what.......................Nothing.
I've done this about 4 times now and I'm coming very close to returning my Z10 and sticking with my 9800 torch or getting a Galaxy S3 or 4.
Can anyone please help me here as I really like the look of the phone and think it could be a winner if only Blackberry had given some thought to basics. It's as if they DON'T want it to succeed???
Thanks in advance anyone.
- 02-12-13, 06:35 PM #2
That said, there are several things that would be helpful in helping you:
1. Does your BlackBerry 9800 have any contact groups on it? Please check carefully. If you have groups, transferring your contacts directly to a BlackBerry 10 device will NOT work. The current workaround is to delete the groups and then the transfer should work.
2. Transferring your contact through Bluetoooth is unsupported. It HAS worked for some but there are several threads with posters that have issues as a result. This does not sound like a good option for you since you're already having issues.
3. A process that will *definitely* work is to transfer your contacts from your BlackBerry 9800 to a cloud service and then sync your contacts to your BlackBerry 10 device through the cloud.
Please search the BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry Z10 forums for issues your experiencing. Many people have posted valuable advice and answers to issues like yours. If you do a search for "contacts," you will find several threads that will give you instructions on how to properly perform #1 and how to perform #3.
Thank you very much for responding so quickly.
Sorry about the mention of defecting but I'm sure you can understand my frustration. It appears I'm not on my own.
Many many thanks for your advice i will try to see if i can get it to work as I know I do have 2 grouped contacts on my 9800 maybe they are the problem?
Many thanks again.
- 02-12-13, 06:53 PM #5
If you have 2 contact groups on your BlackBerry 9800, then you will definitely have a problem BUT the good news is that it can be fixed and you CAN transfer your contacts. Let me look for the thread where there are steps for this.
I've tried to bluetooth yet again and it failed this was after removing the 2 group contacts I had.
I've tried using BB Link and yet again after it told me All had transferred ........nothing.
As for Cloud I've set one up but how on earth I use it is another thing????
- 02-12-13, 07:27 PM #9
1. Make sure that any and all Contact Groups are deleted from your legacy device.
2. Reboot both devices. On the legacy device, please perform a battery pull (or equivalent). On your BlackBerry 10 device, please press and hold the Power button and tap "Restart." Please do not skip this step.
3. Perform Contacts transfer again and it should succeed.
The above may not apply to you if you've already tried it. If things continue to be botched after reattempting according to the steps, please continue reading below.
Transfer Contacts from a legacy BlackBerry 5.x to 7.x and lower device to a BlackBerry 10 device after several failed attempts:
1. Backup your BlackBerry 10 devices if it works (data from your botched transfer may make this not doable right now, which is a good reason to get this fixed as you won't get any backups otherwise).
2. Charge your battery on your BlackBerry 10 device in full. This is IMPORTANT. If you do not do this, you may need to do a full OS reload.
3. Being a "Security Wipe" on your *BlackBerry 10* device. Go to the Settings app, then "Security and Privacy," then "Security Wipe" and follow prompts. Do NOT wipe your old device.
3. Make sure that any and all "contact group" items are DELETED from your BlackBerry 5.x to 7.x and lower device.
4. Use BlackBerry's instructions to transfer your data between the devices discussed here using either BlackBerry Link or a micro-SD card using these steps: KB33322-How to migrate data from a BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 and above to BlackBerry 10
You can transfer *both* contacts and contact groups from your old BlackBerry OS smartphone into Google Contacts and sync from there. This will preserve your groups, so that you can use them on BlackBerry 10 when they become supported and you will end up with all your contacts on your BlackBerry 10 device. For instructions on how to do this (skip the steps for merging contacts unless you would like to check for duplicates), please see steps already provided here:
Contacts on 9900 wont transfer to Z10, help!
Please let us know what happens. Good luck.
Just about to do a Security Wipe as apart from that I've done all and still can't get my contacts to transfer over! Maybe i need to learn the cloud way but I've no idea where to start with a cloud thingo?
Depressed with it all now. Need my torch back up and running i think
- CrackBerry User
02-13-13, 07:29 AM #13
- 20 Posts
Had the Torch as well-transferred all my contacts to Z10 late last night after using my Microsoft hotmail/live account and opening an outlook.com account. Anyway there are too many threads dealing with the same question-Z10 and Blackberry Link will not transfer and sync Outlook Calendar, Contacts or Tasks. There is a detailed method in one of the threads-Geek Squad on how to do it. Requires download and installation of the Outlook Connector from Microsoft web-site.
Note: Once I had all my Contacts on the live/hotmail/outlook.com it even gave me the option to remove duplicates which I took advantage of as I have had them in Outlook for years.
The Z10 is an absolutely awesome phone-much better than the Torch ever was except for the syncing of Outlook I am more than happy with mine. Two days ago I was going to trade my Z10 with my wife's Torch for the same reason as you-not a chance now-ways to work around it for me using Exchange Server. Check out the other threads.
To be honest I'm not 100% sure as I don't sync anything not sure what it all entails and until now have had no need for the use of it. So I've really no ides what I'm doing with the Sync business apart from following instructions from the forums.
- 02-13-13, 08:01 AM #20
Basically I have 433 contacts in my address book on my torch. When i try to Sync my torch contacts to a CSV file do I use (DOS) or (windows) CSV file or doesnt it matter I import the CSV file to Gmail contacts but only 5 or 6 contacts are transferring to both my Z10 and Gmail. Strange as when I've tried to bluetooth my contacts from Torch to Z10 it states 433 contacts have been sent via .vcf however only 1 contact has transferred the very first one from my address book. Pulling my hair out here as I need to send loads of stuff out and I'm stummped.
Seem a right Doofus i can't sort this out.
- By zachass in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 3Last Post: 06-02-09, 07:01 PM
- By Him159 in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 1Last Post: 06-01-09, 07:41 PM
- By harrysona in forum Mac UsersReplies: 0Last Post: 02-18-09, 07:25 AM
- By Cougar5.0 in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 1Last Post: 02-13-09, 11:14 PM
- By Blackmagicgti in forum BlackBerry Pearl 81xxReplies: 1Last Post: 11-10-08, 09:56 PM