Let me first qualify how I spend my days.

I'm the Sales Manager for a Hardwood Flooring Distributor. As such i am all over Edmonton, Alberta, Saskatchewan and also Manitoba. I do NOT have an office, so as such I'm rarely on wifi, always have BlueTooth on, and I'm also likely fighting for Telus tower coverage, both as I drive around Alberta, and also when I travel to Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I do NOT use LTE, even though I have it. Just don't really have the need for it during my 9-5 days. I have been a BlackBerry user since the 8830, and still own and actually use my 9900 too (I'll get to why in a bit), so I do have a bit of experience with Battery saving and device functionality. I don't think I should have to tweak my device to settings that I don't want to use, just to get 6-7 hours of Battery life (I'm on my second Z10 and I own three batteries, so it cant be Hardware or Batteries)

So other than the Battery issues that I have, I wanted to make a post about what I find missing from BB10, and my friend CrackBerry Kevin, suggested I wrote a post, in the hope that the fine folks at BlackBerry might see, that although a stunning piece of Hardware and OS, that for certain users, there are aspects of the device that make me less efficient than I was on my 9900.

My first issue is that TASKS have been removed from the current OS. I'm a big fan of follow-up, and I was always making notes at the time of thinking about them, and setting Reminders to do them later. To accomplish this I quickly typed the note in TASKS, and then set the TIME for the REMINDER to go off, lets say for 10:00. With this gone in the BB10 OS, I am left doing the same thing as a Calender event. Now don't get me wrong, I could do this, but its not what I want to do nor do I find it as efficient . Talking of Calenders, I find mine crashes, which isnt good seeing as Tasks have gone :-)

I have also found that phone numbers from emails etc, are not "clickable", or at least for me they're not this is also not as efficient.

Where did "Reverse Look up" go, as an option when looking at a missed call

I can FLAG a message, but the Flag properties appear to be gone, so how can I set a time or day to follow-up

Where has the ability to mark an email as SPAM gone.

REMEMBER seems like a neat application, in fact a flagged email shows up in there, however again there's no reminder time, so one actually has to go look for it. This defeats the purpose.

Where has Auto On/Off gone I typically had my 9900 turn off at 12:00 and turn back on at 7:00 (different on the weekends) This option doesn't exist on the Z10, and BEDSIDE mode's still using Battery, which i found to my chagrin on day two of owning the Z10, when I woke to a dead battery. I'm still using my 9900 as an alarm clock because of this.

BBM isn't the same in this OS either, clearing status updates is one issue.

I'm sure if i spent even more time comparing my 9900, and previous devices to the Z10, I would come up with more.

I wont mention BB07 Applications that haven't made it as yet to BB10, as so many more have, but Please Please give me BlackBerry Travel !!!

I am only hoping that whats missing isn't JUST in the Q10 device, as I kind of like having the glorious 4.2" of screen, so Im hoping the next update might address these :-)

EDIT...I used the Voice command earlier to set two, Lets call them reminders. They just went off, which is great, however I dont seem to be able to delete them, which of course I could with TASKS, did I say I miss Tasks :-)
    Last edited by stevepar; 02-26-13 at 10:51 PM.
    02-26-13 10:26 PM
    Nice post about some tweaks changes that can be made. I've noticed a few but you put together a detailed list. I really miss the task feature as well as auto on off. I really depended on that although in guess bedside mode essentially does the same thing ( all notifications off) but the phone remains on with battery being consumed.

Hope to see some of these features brought back.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    02-26-13 10:32 PM
    That is the productive way to post. Agree on all points. Good thing is they are all software.

Posted via CB10
    BlackberryPig and stevepar like this.
    02-26-13 10:38 PM
    Let me first qualify how I spend my days.

I'm the Sales Manager for a Hardwood Flooring Distributor. As such i am all over Edmonton, Alberta, Saskatchewan and also Manitoba. I do NOT have an office, so as such I'm rarely on wifi, always have BlueTooth on, and I'm also likely fighting for Telus tower coverage, both as I drive around Alberta, and also when I travel to Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I do NOT use LTE, even though I have it. Just don't really have the need for it during my 9-5 days. I have been a BlackBerry user since the 8830, and still own and actually use my 9900 too (I'll get to why in a bit), so I do have a bit of experience with Battery saving and device functionality. I don't think I should have to tweak my device to settings that I don't want to use, just to get 6-7 hours of Battery life (I'm on my second Z10 and I own three batteries, so it cant be Hardware or Batteries)

So other than the Battery issues that I have, I wanted to make a post about what I find missing from BB10, and my friend CrackBerry Kevin, suggested I wrote a post, in the hope that the fine folks at BlackBerry might see, that although a stunning piece of Hardware and OS, that for certain users, there are aspects of the device that make me less efficient than I was on my 9900.

My first issue is that TASKS have been removed from the current OS. I'm a big fan of follow-up, and I was always making notes at the time of thinking about them, and setting Reminders to do them later. To accomplish this I quickly typed the note in TASKS, and then set the TIME for the REMINDER to go off, lets say for 10:00. With this gone in the BB10 OS, I am left doing the same thing as a Calender event. Now don't get me wrong, I could do this, but its not what I want to do nor do I find it as efficient . Talking of Calenders, I find mine crashes, which isnt good seeing as Tasks have gone :-)

I have also found that phone numbers from emails etc, are not "clickable", or at least for me they're not this is also not as efficient.

Where did "Reverse Look up" go, as an option when looking at a missed call

I can FLAG a message, but the Flag properties appear to be gone, so how can I set a time or day to follow-up

Where has the ability to mark an email as SPAM gone.

REMEMBER seems like a neat application, in fact a flagged email shows up in there, however again there's no reminder time, so one actually has to go look for it. This defeats the purpose.

Where has Auto On/Off gone I typically had my 9900 turn off at 12:00 and turn back on at 7:00 (different on the weekends) This option doesn't exist on the Z10, and BEDSIDE mode's still using Battery, which i found to my chagrin on day two of owning the Z10, when I woke to a dead battery. I'm still using my 9900 as an alarm clock because of this.

BBM isn't the same in this OS either, clearing status updates is one issue.

I'm sure if i spent even more time comparing my 9900, and previous devices to the Z10, I would come up with more.

I wont mention BB07 Applications that haven't made it as yet to BB10, as so many more have, but Please Please give me BlackBerry Travel !!!

I am only hoping that whats missing isn't JUST in the Q10 device, as I kind of like having the glorious 4.2" of screen, so Im hoping the next update might address these :-)

EDIT...I used the Voice command earlier to set two, Lets call them reminders. They just went off, which is great, however I dont seem to be able to delete them, which of course I could with TASKS, did I say I miss Tasks :-)
    03-30-13 09:03 PM
    Yeah, this deserved a bump.
    03-30-13 09:13 PM
    Pretty well thought out list from the OP of important featurest bring back and improvements to make.

I read in another post that BB is working on fixing the calendar app so it is stable.

I certainly think a native tasks program is very important and shuld be on any serious business communications device and part of the hub.

I too am miffed by the inability to put settings in a flagged item such as to set it to an alarm for followup or bring forwardd at a future date. Just flagging it and then looking for it later by scrolling through old e-mails just seems counterproductive.
    niss63 likes this.
    03-30-13 09:14 PM
    Oh jeez. Another clueless person who doesn't understand that old blackberries actually never turn off. It was a work around for horrible startup tomes. Go "Turn Off" your old blackberry of it gets wet, and let's see what happens
    03-30-13 09:17 PM
    I agree about not having the the Task or Note apps work as before nor click-able phone numbers is a deal-breaker for me. I will keep using my iPhone 5 (ugh) until Blackberry can get it fixed.
    03-30-13 09:19 PM
    Well, i hope you're enjoying BlackBerry Travel now!
    03-30-13 09:24 PM
    I hope BlackBerry sees this post. Many great features that set BlackBerry apart need to come back to the new OS.
    03-30-13 09:36 PM
    I have "Tasks" from Exchange in my Remember app...and they are all there. They update with my desktop as well, as they're supposed to. I guess that only happens if one is using EAS.
    03-30-13 09:43 PM
    To delete reminders: in the calendar view, press and hold on the reminder and choose delete.
    03-30-13 09:47 PM
    I have "Tasks" from Exchange in my Remember app...and they are all there. They update with my desktop as well, as they're supposed to. I guess that only happens if one is using EAS.
    Tasks do show up in the Remember app, but there are no reminders for the tasks. I think that is what the OP is missing most from the old Task app. I agree with him in that some times I need a reminder about a task, when I'm on the go.
    03-30-13 09:52 PM
    Of course there are things that are done differently, and some things that are not made as up to par as bbos yet, but one thing that always bothers me about these posts is the lack of mentioning what this phone does just SO MUCH BETTER compared to the old devices.
    For me, they absolutely outweigh the cons, especially as it only keeps getting better with updates.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 10:03 PM
    Of course there are things that are done differently, and some things that are not made as up to par as bbos yet, but one thing that always bothers me about these posts is the lack of mentioning what this phone does just SO MUCH BETTER compared to the old devices.
    For me, they absolutely outweigh the cons, especially as it only keeps getting better with updates.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, overall the Z10 is a quantum leap forward. But the OP has some valid issues that do need to be addressed if the phone is to make it in the business environment. As he mentioned, this post was to bring these issues to BBRY's attention.
    bintheredundat likes this.
    03-30-13 10:07 PM
    The issues mentioned in here seem like a simple OS update.

The task thing just blows me away. Isn't that a no-brainer?
    03-30-13 10:10 PM
    Great post.
    As for the "Reverse Look Up" option, as a former 9900 user, that thing was implemented with the Poynt application, that is not available for BB10 for now.

Fred.
    agp101 likes this.
    03-30-13 10:15 PM
    Great post. I just set up a task today and wanted to set a reminder to go off at a certain time. There are options to make a due date for a task but not a time.

Adding due date and time would be great if it could pop up a reminder, or at least throw if up at the top of the hub as an upcoming event.

Posted from my Z10.
    03-30-13 10:43 PM
    Oh jeez. Another clueless person who doesn't understand that old blackberries actually never turn off. It was a work around for horrible startup tomes. Go "Turn Off" your old blackberry of it gets wet, and let's see what happens
    Really!? Clueless? C'mon now. This was a well constructed post. Why the personal attack?

03-30-13 10:54 PM
    The idea with blackberry10 is to provide a robust development platform so that apps will flood in. So instead of one tasks app that is first party you might get 20 to choose from from third parties.

The remember app allows you to manage tasks in a very basic way. By the way. But probably not robust enough for what you want.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 10:56 PM
    Yes, overall the Z10 is a quantum leap forward. But the OP has some valid issues that do need to be addressed if the phone is to make it in the business environment. As he mentioned, this post was to bring these issues to BBRY's attention.
    Precisely what I implied. Reread my first 2 sentences.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 10:56 PM
    Great post.
    As for the "Reverse Look Up" option, as a former 9900 user, that thing was implemented with the Poynt application, that is not available for BB10 for now.

Fred.
    Yes this was part of the Poynt app. The reverse lookup would show up in the Poynt app. *sigh*...

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 11:00 PM
    looks like maybe you were Banned (3 times, right?) for A Reason. Those of us who have read your posts have a good idea who's clueless (hint - you). You have to grow up sometime, right? Maybe now is a good time to start.

To the OP, thanks for a well thought out and fair post. It would have been nice to know which things (if any) you liked better about the Z10 (other than the nice screen), but it looks like your dislikes are acknowledged by other Z10 supporters.
    Last edited by mset; 03-30-13 at 11:12 PM.
    bintheredundat likes this.
    03-30-13 11:02 PM
    @mset. I concur 100%. Thought I recognized that posters name.

03-30-13 11:06 PM
    Tasks do show up in the Remember app, but there are no reminders for the tasks. I think that is what the OP is missing most from the old Task app. I agree with him in that some times I need a reminder about a task, when I'm on the go.
    Task do indeed show up in Remember, depending on your set up. I have Evernote synced, which has it's own set of folders; Exchange (corporate account), which has it's own folders then there is the native folders for all other accounts. Any email that is flagged from the phone will by default go into the native "Undefined Folder" (i.e. Inbox or Action Pending [GTD]). From there you can open the email that has been flagged and it will show a due date option where you can set a reminder date. Once you have selected a date, you can then move the email or task to another folder (that you create; i.e. Today, Next, Defer, Someday, etc.). From within that folder you can tag the email for easy searching or just allow your new task to be separated by work week, which it will do by default. Within the specified folder you will have a check list but there will be no alarms to remind you of the task. Until BB adds the alarm feature, I just make it a point to keep my Remember App as an active tile; with the check list to work from. So far I haven't really missed the reminder alarms but they would be nice to have. However, if you have a lot of tasks to work on from your check list, the constant reminders might be a little too much. One other thing, you have the option from within Remember to switch from folder view to entry view, which gives you a working check list based off you tags. I use the GTD Outlook add-in software and it transferred all of my working tags to Remember, this saved me a ton of time in setup. If you haven't already, I suggest you read David Allen's book "Getting Things Done," the methodology is all laid out. Hope this helped.
    03-30-13 11:16 PM
29 12