Well this is an interesting thread isn't it?
    12-28-12 10:58 PM
    That was a good point made about purchasing from the carriers in order to show numbers. Its all about the stats.
    12-28-12 11:56 PM
    So when you buy the phone off contract. Supposed it will always have carriers branded logo? Hoping there is some place that i can buy the phone off contract cuz i don't want any branded logo on that awesome phone )
    12-29-12 01:28 AM
    I know that carriers brand the phones in many places, but my 9810 has no branding whatsoever. Maybe just lucky
    12-29-12 02:57 AM
    I know that carriers brand the phones in many places, but my 9810 has no branding whatsoever. Maybe just lucky
    My O2 or Vodafone 9900's didn't come with branding and I hope they don't ruin BB10's with that either.
    12-29-12 08:01 AM
    I myself, being an ATnT customer, would prefer to buy directly from RIM. We get the real ratty orange and white boxes with just the handset, a microfiber cloth and a home charger. No holster or sleeve or anything (I saw a couple of different unboxing vids for a 9900 where there was a sleeve included, if I remember correctly). Conversely, when I purchased my Playbook, I received the nice black box.
    12-29-12 01:59 PM
    I wish we could buy direct from RIM, just like how you can buy directly from Google or Apple, UNLOCKED.
    12-29-12 05:56 PM
    You might want to check your attitude at the door -- I'm far less tolerant than the rest of the mod team these days and it's best to not attract my attention... Just sayin'
    Cheer up, your Z10's will be here soon enough.

PS. Increase your intake of B-complex, as I fear it's going to get HOTTER in here the closer we get to Jan 30 2013 ie. more trolls, fist fights to get in line for Z10, more newbie folks coming back home(big hugs), Green Fruit Company types dropping for a first time look/see(come on in,let me show you this Z10 X10 ), pretend insiders, gypy's, marauders and elfs.

These are exciting times, don't lose sight of that in the mayhem.
    12-29-12 07:59 PM
    Define interesting.
    Well this is an interesting thread isn't it?
    12-29-12 08:06 PM
    The question was "Can I buy BB10 directly from RIM" BB10 is an OS not a phone.. Can you go to the Apple store and buy JUST THE OS?
    Please don't argue this on bull**** technicalities. We can all safely assume that they meant the phone and not the OS.
    12-29-12 10:16 PM
    I wish we could buy direct from RIM, just like how you can buy directly from Google or Apple, UNLOCKED.

Ehh although I know why people want this, I think it would ruin things for RIM if uninformed people started ordering the wrong model and trying to use it on their carrier. When it doesn't work or is slow because of having the wrong frequencies, they will complain that BBs suck, RIM is dead, blah blah
    12-30-12 02:39 AM
    Great question , OP. Got me thinking. I'm with T-mobile, who has a history of shafting the customers with "exclusive", (i.e., lower version) models. Other carriers get the Lumia 920, we get the 810, other carriers get the HTC One X, we get the One S. Although we did get the Bold 9900, HTC 8X, S3, and the Note II, I have to consider what to do if my carrier doesn't release the phone I want.
    Last edited by lalston393; 12-30-12 at 03:29 AM.
    12-30-12 03:19 AM
    Ehh although I know why people want this, I think it would ruin things for RIM if uninformed people started ordering the wrong model and trying to use it on their carrier. When it doesn't work or is slow because of having the wrong frequencies, they will complain that BBs suck, RIM is dead, blah blah
    RIM has sold unlocked devices before so this is no difference. MANY people prefer buying unlocked.
    12-30-12 09:41 AM
    many people prefer buying unlocked.
    unlocked would be nice....
    12-30-12 09:47 AM
    Cheer up, your Z10's will be here soon enough.

PS. Increase your intake of B-complex, as I fear it's going to get HOTTER in here the closer we get to Jan 30 2013 ie. more trolls, fist fights to get in line for Z10, more newbie folks coming back home(big hugs), Green Fruit Company types dropping for a first time look/see(come on in,let me show you this Z10 X10 ), pretend insiders, gypy's, marauders and elfs.

These are exciting times, don't lose sight of that in the mayhem.
    If BB10 is a big success then yeah, there will be a lot more people with CoD complex on these forums
    i may have to be creative with my obtaining an unlocked phone as i'm not sure if my UK carrier will be selling the Z10 to begin with
    12-30-12 02:28 PM
    As a german and first time blackberry customer (Z10) i was just wondering how blackberry handles OS Updates for their phones. In germany (and i think in the rest of the world), you buy a phone from a provider like t-mobile and they put stuff on your phone (logo, apps etc. - even if the phone is unlocked). The biggest problem for me always was, that they keep OS updates to check and validate them and than send them month later OTA to me (this is for Android).

Could this be the same with BB10 ?
    12-30-12 02:45 PM
    I believe the only way to buy a device directly from RIM is through an employee ... I have a friend that works for RIM and he purchased a 9900 for me..
    it's unbranded and unlocked.. it says 3G instead of H+ (but i get HSPA+ Speeds)

it's just u don't get it on launch day.. u gotta wait till it becomes available to them.
    12-30-12 10:08 PM
    it's just u don't get it on launch day.. u gotta wait till it becomes available to them.
    The PlayBook was like this too, was it not? I remember the PB discounts to RIM staff didn't get advertised till long after I had a PB. I think I'm cool with showing some carrier support and just buying on launch day through Rogers. Unlocked and unbranded would be a bonus but I'll live...
    12-31-12 07:24 AM
    As a german and first time blackberry customer (Z10) i was just wondering how blackberry handles OS Updates for their phones. In germany (and i think in the rest of the world), you buy a phone from a provider like t-mobile and they put stuff on your phone (logo, apps etc. - even if the phone is unlocked). The biggest problem for me always was, that they keep OS updates to check and validate them and than send them month later OTA to me (this is for Android).

Could this be the same with BB10 ?
    i believe i read somewhere that RIM will send out the updates directly to the unit rather then through a carrier. but that may be unfounded rumour so dont quote me on that
    12-31-12 12:03 PM
    i believe i read somewhere that RIM will send out the updates directly to the unit rather then through a carrier. but that may be unfounded rumour so dont quote me on that
    I really, really hope they do this, as I'm extremely annoyed by the current method of relying on the carriers to approve the updates. The carriers take an eternity to get updates out.
    12-31-12 12:41 PM
    Due to close ties with carriers, I doubt you'll see BB10 being sold directly from RIM. I hope to pick up a Z10 off Craigslist on launch day (or soon after).
    masahiro,
    please consider that there are way more blackberry users outside of the usa and that rim has stated a release to these countries before the usa . I live in nz and I bought my 9810 directly from rim shortly after launch so I don't see that not happening again .website expansys.com is taking preorders for both l and n phones. so I guess if you live in usa you willbe disapointed .
    12-31-12 12:44 PM
    I Have a friend who works at RIM and a month or two after the device comes out he's able to buy the phone unlocked ect. I might go that route i'll see the deal he can get me lol
    12-31-12 01:50 PM
    I have a family member working at rim, they will have the phone and its price on the site but once you hit 'buy now' they will direct you to the carriers that sell it. sorry to say it
    i beg to differ. as long as your friend/relative who is rim employees, he/she can purchase device/accessories directly. but there is an agreement that buyers cannot purchase for any purpose of trading and selling. of course, rim will guarantee carriers to have sufficient stock to satisfy carriers' consumers prior rim employees, rim does not release the newest devices right after it launches. hope it helps OP.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    12-31-12 02:09 PM
    purchasing from rim wud be great. cuz i know for sure the carriers in trinidad gonna be months behind. the S3 was only available via the carriers about 3 months ago. i do not wanna wait till august to get my Z10. RIM needs to make purchasing available directly from them n make it worldwide too.
    borbella likes this.
    01-03-13 12:23 AM
    The question was "Can I buy BB10 directly from RIM" BB10 is an OS not a phone.. Can you go to the Apple store and buy JUST THE OS?

Funny thing is even if you interpret the question that way, your answer is wrong. Thorsten mentioned possible licensing of BB10 in the future, so just like you can buy (a license) of Windows XP, you might be able to "buy" (the right to use and distribute) BB10 directly from RIM.
    01-04-13 01:48 PM
52 123