My wife was stuck for quite a while last night in Chicago airport. Weather delays meant that everything was in a state of havoc and there were lineups, angry and frustrated people everywhere. My wife and I were in constant communication, she on her Z10 and me on my Q10 while I was calling the airlines, hotels, etc., trying to get her back home.

At one point (this after most of the day w/o a recharge) she was almost out of juice on the Z10. Instead of losing her place in the mega line that she was in and trying to find a non-existent open charging station, she just popped in her spare battery and was able to eventually snag a flight home today. Shortly afterwards there were no flights left until Wednesday. Today is Tuesday btw.

If she wasn't able to replace that battery, i'm convinced that she wouldn't be coming back today. Smart design, BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 07:37 AM
    Yeah, I love the fact that the battery is removable.

Posted via CB10
    xxslxx and tfitzpat03 like this.
    08-26-14 07:40 AM
    It's sad that these days seem to be over.. only guys still doing removable batteries are Samsung..

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.1052
    08-26-14 07:55 AM
    With an external batteri pack, like the one BlackBerry has for all the BB10 devices, you could simply have plugged the external battery in to the phone - not having to hang-up, not having to re-dial, not having to remove the back cover etc...

I have problems seeing how it is "sooooo" important being able to Remove a battery in the field, when other slick solutions exist.

On the other hand, BlackBerry's external battery for Z10 and Q10, the battery is also removable so it "can" be swapped with the phones battery at any time, but the built-in microUSB cable does the trick as well...
    mkelley65 likes this.
    08-26-14 09:33 AM
    Or you get a fixed battery that's twice the size.

Posted via CB10
    zehkaiser likes this.
    08-26-14 09:44 AM
    The one issue, though somewhat rare, with the Z30, is a "dead" phone due to the inability to do a battery reset. My laptop has a fixed battery, but it also has a reset switch on the bottom to allow a battery reset -- and I needed it once. A handful of people on the Z30 forum have reported this issue and there's even a guide there on how to take your phone apart and pull the battery connector to do a reset.
    08-26-14 09:46 AM
    The one issue, though somewhat rare, with the Z30, is a "dead" phone due to the inability to do a battery reset. My laptop has a fixed battery, but it also has a reset switch on the bottom to allow a battery reset -- and I needed it once. A handful of people on the Z30 forum have reported this issue and there's even a guide there on how to take your phone apart and pull the battery connector to do a reset.
    That's another good point, they're killing the only solution we have known for many years for fixing all our phones errors.. just a battery pull fixes everything..

On my Z10 I tried for a few times to pretend it has a fixed battery in the very rare times the phone freezes.. and I realised that after the phone freezes for 1.5 to 2 minutes an automatic reset initiates.. but sometimes it takes longer.. so I pull the battery..

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.1052
    08-26-14 11:28 AM
    Removable Battery are the best easy to switch battery and turn off the phone in case it freeze thats one of the reasons I'm gonna stick with my Z10 and not upgrade to a Z30 may be get a Q10 down the line.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 12:24 PM
    What would really be impressive in the next few BlackBerry models.

Would be the ability to hot swap a battery. If you could some how have the phone stay on long enough for a fully charged replacement to be put in, that would be amazing. You'd never have to drop a call or shutdown your phone just to change the battery.

Look! It's Zedzilla10! ?
    08-26-14 01:44 PM
    With an external batteri pack, like the one BlackBerry has for all the BB10 devices, you could simply have plugged the external battery in to the phone - not having to hang-up, not having to re-dial, not having to remove the back cover etc...

I have problems seeing how it is "sooooo" important being able to Remove a battery in the field, when other slick solutions exist.

On the other hand, BlackBerry's external battery for Z10 and Q10, the battery is also removable so it "can" be swapped with the phones battery at any time, but the built-in microUSB cable does the trick as well...
    I can't believe how completely wrong I was to enthuse about the removable battery. Thank you for showing me the way.

You know, there might be people out there that don't like umbilical cords plugged into their phones to provide additional charging? Not very pocketable in my wife's skinny jeans n'est-ce-pas?

Oh, and btw, her battery was in bespoke BlackBerry charger.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 02:01 PM
    I can't believe how completely wrong I was to enthuse about the removable battery. Thank you for showing me the way.

You know, there might be people out there that don't like umbilical cords plugged into their phones to provide additional charging? Not very pocketable in my wife's skinny jeans n'est-ce-pas?

Oh, and btw, her battery was in bespoke BlackBerry charger.

Posted via CB10
    I would agree. I used them in tandem twice and it was awkward unless you were seated with a stable platform. But in a pinch it does serve.
    08-26-14 02:51 PM
    Don't get me wrong, of course it is very good that she found a solution to keep her phone alive,..

It's just that if you search the Forums here, there are so many who trashes BlackBerry just because they decided to use a fixed battery in the Z30, and now the Passport.

Sometimes I wonder if they know other solutions exist, or if they are just out to trash whenever they can..

But having options is good

//M
    08-26-14 03:04 PM
    What would really be impressive in the next few BlackBerry models.

Would be the ability to hot swap a battery. If you could some how have the phone stay on long enough for a fully charged replacement to be put in, that would be amazing. You'd never have to drop a call or shutdown your phone just to change the battery.

Look! It's Zedzilla10! ?
    Hot swap is possible, but you need room in the phone for a bridge battery. I'm not sure how many people would find this feature worth paying for.

When the iphone locks up, it spins itself to death.

There is nothing like pulling the battery and doing a fresh start. Every battery powered device has a power on reset implementation.

You can make very reliable devices that probably don't need a battery pull. It is a matter of using watchdog timers and thinking of every contingency. But there is always some gotcha. Often devices that monitor themselves get stuck in perpetual reset loops. It is a classic screwup in embedded controllers.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    08-26-14 03:45 PM
    Same experience here when I was on an international travel. I usually don't think much of the whole battery deal until we are traveling. Then I really do find the ability to battery swap a blessing. My daughter does to. Now of course with my Q10, this baby lasts way longer than my Z10 did. But i still carry my very slim and lightweight battery bundle.

Typed with my Q10, or Z10, or Q10, or...
    hlg8888 likes this.
    08-26-14 04:17 PM