So this past friday I walked into the telus store in downtown Montreal (across the street from eaton center). I asked very nicely about buying a z10 off contract. The first thing the employee tells me is that he cannot recommend that I purchase the phone. Obviously, I let out a little laugh and ask why? He goes on to tell me that this is the worst phone ever and that they've had nothing but problems. Says he doesnt want to sell me it because he is fed up of people coming back to return it or complain about problems. The manager of the store joins the convo and says pretty much the same thing. At this point I'm full on LOL. This is by far the WORST sales experience Ive had in my life. I laughed at them and walked out. How can a store be so hateful of a single product? They were completely unwilling to sell me the phone (contract or not).

I decided to get onto kijiji and see if there were any good deals to be had. Saturday night....brand new black z10 for sale 2 minutes from my home. Paid only 480$. It took a call to virgin mobile to get my plan provisioned for bb internet service. The rep was a little lost at first because it was the first time he had to do this. After about 20 minutes I was up on full 4g lte. After a full day of usage I can honestly say I'm pretty impressed. No crashes or system hiccups apart from one attachment file causing some confusion. Just a few minutes ago I side loaded the ebay and speedtest apps; so far so good. Everything is at the tip of your fingers with the gesture motions. No more home button double click non-sense. My only complaint is the lack of some critical apps but that will come with time I suppose.
    mrzeolite, SDTRMG, xxslxx and 16 others like this.
    03-11-13 12:23 AM
    Never heard about a store refusing a sale... very unnatural. On the other hand, glad to hear you're enjoying your device! it's the best BBRY i've owned and have no intentions of returning...if anything i'll be going back to the store to pick up another one! Yes, you are correct, the apps will come (seeing as the US launch is coming up fast! some say its well... today?!) Cheers
    Jerryg50 likes this.
    03-11-13 12:27 AM
    Any CBers in Montreal that want to do some recon? head in with a phone voice recorder on and see if this is legit!
    03-11-13 12:34 AM
    Very unnatural....I didnt know what to say tbh. I was definitely not going to beg them for my business, it should be the other way around! Even worse considering its at one of their main stores in the city. Hope youre right about the apps. Would be a shame to lose sales because of it.
    03-11-13 12:37 AM
    I worked for Telus once. They put us on 6 weeks of training to understand the human response in conversations to trick customers into doing what you want while convincing then its their idea.

Came in handy when one of the VPs lost a laptop with millions (all) of client credit card numbers on the desktop. Telus was refusing to disclose it to customers (they claimed the privacy policy never said they had to) and we had memos warning us the news would be calling.

anyway, don't trust the rants. A lot of times they are doing that to make you feel like they are sharing secret first hand info (trust), making you feel dumb for not asking them for their opinion (reducing the value of your opinion), while they try to get you to purchase a phone that is of higher return to them. And wouldn't you know it, the other phone they have that costs more, the one you must really want, they have no more available off contract. But its such a good deal, the contract is practically paying itself...

Edit: My last week there, my manager (older guy) actually told me I already put in my notice. I have nothing to lose, so I should tell customers whatever they want to hear to make sales. And if they call back to cancel anything I won't be there to lose the commission. So tell them they are buying whatever they want at whatever price, because they won't know until they get their bill a month later.

via Tapatalk
    03-11-13 12:39 AM
    Strange,you would think with them being Canadian that they would be pro BlackBerry. I am curious how my fellow Americans will speak of the new BlackBerry when I go to inquire about one.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    03-11-13 12:41 AM
    What street is that Telus store on?

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 12:54 AM
    Corner Mansfield and St Catherine

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 12:59 AM
    I'm a little surprised that you found a Z10 for only $480. Who did you buy it from?
    sheeraz_aa likes this.
    03-11-13 01:07 AM
    Drives me crazy hearing these kind of Z10 stories. I just don't get it. I'd go nuts if I had the same experience you did. At the very least, I'd call their head office in Quebec.

Posted via CB10
    torpesco and Cracklen like this.
    03-11-13 01:10 AM
    I'm a little surprised that you found a Z10 for only $480. Who did you buy it from?
    How much do they go for in Whitehorse?

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 01:12 AM
    Drives me crazy hearing these kind of Z10 stories. I just don't get it. I'd go nuts if I had the same experience you did. At the very least, I'd call their head office in Quebec.

Posted via CB10
    yeah, same here. I get annoyed when the reps aren't properly trained either to promote/sell these devices to the general public...i'd lose it if i went in store and that happened...
    northernrds likes this.
    03-11-13 01:12 AM
    Random guy I found on Kijiji. I messaged him 5 minutes after he posted the add. It was still sealed. The battery was in a sealed bag so I know it wasn't used at all. Can't complain. Telus store advertised 600$+tax.

Quite a few on Kijiji locally actually. Prices range from 500-650$.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 01:14 AM
    Random guy I found on Kijiji. I messaged him 5 minutes after he posted the add. It was still sealed. The battery was in a sealed bag so I know it wasn't used at all. Can't complain. Telus store advertised 600$+tax.

Quite a few on Kijiji locally actually. Prices range from 500-650$.

Posted via CB10
    You lucked out getting the Z10 for that price, especially one that's not even used. Wonder why the seller parted with the Z for such a low price! Congrats on your purchase though, enjoy the Z10
    03-11-13 01:25 AM
    I think it was an early upgrade so he just wanted to get rid of it ASAP. Works for me. I'm definitely enjoying the Z.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-11-13 01:27 AM
    I think it was an early upgrade so he just wanted to get rid of it ASAP. Works for me. I'm definitely enjoying the Z.

Posted via CB10
    Still an impressive price, given that even lightly used Z10s are commanding $700+ on eBay. He must have been in a hurry! Definitely good luck for you
    03-11-13 01:29 AM
    I love Montreal. And my habs but I can say the customer service departments just suck big time in Quebec. They will make you feel like sh!t for using your money to buy their product.

Posted via CB10
    pcguy514 likes this.
    03-11-13 01:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Good to hear! I guess it's the case of "right place, right time = right price"
    03-11-13 01:32 AM
    There's one going for $475 here in Vancouver.. Hurry!
    Blackberry z10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    03-11-13 01:45 AM
    "He goes on to tell me that this is the worst phone ever and that they've had nothing but problems. Says he doesnt want to sell me it because he is fed up of people coming back to return it or complain about problems. The manager of the store joins the convo and says pretty much the same thing."

What was it that was causing all these people to return the phone was it ever stated? By anyone?

I think as a BB user and member of CB you should have delved deeper and found out just what it was that was so problematic.
    SDTRMG, TrueKulcha and Dapper37 like this.
    03-11-13 01:45 AM
    Most likely the lack of apps support
    03-11-13 01:53 AM
    Good to hear! I guess it's the case of "right place, right time = right price"
    Indeed. If anything, you should be thanking those reps.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-11-13 01:54 AM
    It's going to be awesome when hundreds of CB fans storm that store tomorrow demanding answers (along with someone from Canaccord who smells blood...). Can't wait to hear the results! Wasn't there another mention on CB a few days ago about Telus hating on the Z10 due to poor hardware quality? No doubt there'd be some lemon Z10s, but I assume a fairly low percentage as there must be reasonable factory tests and quality control on the production line? I bought mine from Telus on day 1. Though I knew more about it than the staff, by no means was there anything negative said.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    03-11-13 02:16 AM
    BlackBerry� Z10 | Smartphones | Phones & devices | TELUS Mobility Guess they never read the reviews by owners. Would paint a completely different picture. That is no good that they outright refused a sale. I doubt Telus would appreciate that.
    TrueKulcha and Dapper37 like this.
    03-11-13 02:26 AM
    Sometimes they do that.

When I was getting my Z10, the lady spent a few minutes trying to convince me to get the Sammy Note instead. I kept trying to stop her and her sales pitch, because I was not shopping around for a phone, I specifically wanted the Z10. She persisted. It was polite conversation, nothing crazy, but it was a waste of my time so eventually I was getting annoyed.

After a while, I finally cut her off and said no, I'd rather have the Blackberry.
    Then she demanded to know why, as if I owed her an explanation because I was being so outrageous.
    I told her it doesn't matter why, I want it and I'm tired of this. Are you going to sell it to me or do I need to talk to someone else?
    Then she immediately apologized, became less annoying, and started to process the order. So, it wasn't THAT bad I suppose, as soon as she saw I was in no mood for her selling me other phones, she stopped. And it's not like she was slamming the Z10, but she was very insistent that the Note was much better and I was being crazy, but if I had decided to be crazy, so be it. Anyway, while typing away, she did throw in there that she's sold barely any Z10's, and everyone else wants the Note, so "I hope you like itttt". She also made sure to mention to me to not use too many minutes, because I can return it within 15 days if I use less than 30 minutes or something like that. Presumably because I'm going to hate it and will FOR SURE bring it back. And of course, trade it in for that Note 2 she keeps pushing.

Yeah, it was kind of annoying as a BB fan, because I suspect many others who are thinking of giving the platform a chance would say "forget it, it's not worth the risk! I'm getting the Note!".

On another 'note', I'm still wondering why she was so insistent on the NOTE 2. She didn't mention the S3, didn't mention the i5, she was all about the Note. I hate the Note, it's the last phone I'd buy. It's like holding an iPad up to your face. It's so big it's almost comical, I don't understand why anyone wants it. Others may love it, but I know for sure I am not the only one who feels this way, so I don't understand how they can be so insistent on one phone that appeals to only some people. Maybe excess inventory. Who knows.
    03-11-13 04:27 AM
235 123 ...