Hey, all. I finally ditched my iPhone yesterday and picked up my Z10! I was SO excited to come back to BB (used to have a Tour) but am feeling a little deflated and need a pep talk. I realize that it will take some time to get used to the device and the OS, and it's only been 1 day (and I'm a stay at home mom...so I don't have time to fiddle with it during the day...and I don't have much time to type this out well now, so please forgive me), but I'm feeling that so many things are just HARD to set up, and things that were more straightforward on my Tour seem clunky on the Z10. For example, calendar, clock, bedside mode, and even email. Maybe it's operator error and/or learning curve, and I'm open to that. Can anyone please weigh in on some of these?

1. My emails aren't pushing. I still have the iPhone and it's getting my emails while my Z10 isn't. I have to go into the hub and "refresh" my emails in order for them to show up.

2. The touch screen seems not very responsive. I feel like I have to really hit it and press down before swiping. Am I doing something wrong?

3. When I open up the browser it looks so foreign to me. Is there a way to close all those little panes? I'm probably not articulating this well. It looks kind of busy and sloppy when I open it up.

EVERYONE close to me is an iPhone FAN, and iMessage and FaceTime have been an integral part of my life for the past 1.5 years, so being the lonely soul to move to BB is hard. I got Skype and will try it today (we "need" some kind of video chat so that my daughter can "see" my husband while he's traveling for work). Husband is open to using BBM whenever it hits iPhone. I have never used BBM but hope and assume it might be more user-friendly than Skype.

Anyway, sorry for the whining. I will give it more time, but am worried that I've become an iPhone sheep and can't get back into BB like I used to be. I hate saying that the iPhone really does just work, out of the box, without all these machinations I'm going through to set up the BB. Am also worried about the longevity of BB as a company and whether that should affect my choice of device at this time. Can y'all give me a pep talk to stick with it and slog through it? The lack of timely email updating is a deal breaker for me. The other stuff isn't.

I'm on Verizon, OS 10.1.0.2039.
    Donvald, camoh2006, robkd and 2 others like this.
    08-02-13 09:34 AM
    I'm 6 months or so in and on Verizon, still loving the Z and don't regret it one bit.

Posted via the almighty Z10
    nico2004 likes this.
    08-02-13 09:40 AM
    As per email is hard to say until we know what email provider you are using.
    At first guess I would suspect that you should re-create your account using imap instead of pop3.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 09:44 AM
    I use yahoo mail. How do I recreate the account?

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 09:46 AM
    As per touch screen, this is strange, I would suspect need to r- install os or your particular Z10 has issues. Response is normally perfectly in line with other modern touch smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 09:47 AM
    There is a learning curve, steeper for some than others. The best advice I can give is persevere with it, read the forums, then read them again. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 09:47 AM
    I'm using yahoo and it's pushing, all I did was add account and put my username and password without changing the other default settings

CB10|Z10
    08-02-13 09:49 AM
    Any new os requires patience. Wait till you get some more experience with your new Z10. You'll love how intuitive it becomes. Make sure you go to settings and have the latest software installed.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 09:51 AM
    I have multiple email accounts and all push with out any trouble. I have used many different platforms of phones and I love bb10 and the way that it works overall the email is better than any other platforms out there even the older BlackBerry platforms out there. You can even set up an I cloud email account to sink email and contacts on I cloud real easy

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 09:57 AM
    I use yahoo mail. How do I recreate the account?

Posted via CB10
    Delete and re-create from scratch.
    Before you do this:
    First go to hub and in overflow menu (three dots menu) select settings, then select on screen "email accounts" line.
    Then select your account. On the bottom on screen hit "edit account" pen icon.

Check if you have setting as described in link below . Look for imap string in the email server field.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail;_ylt=Av...gcJ#2142843959

Check that " enable push " toggle is on.

If not, delete and start again, chose imap this time.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 10:06 AM
    As per your browser question, the bb10 browser is actually most advanced mobile browser on market at the moment. It is on par with desktop browsers. This however has downside - some sites doesn't recognise it as mobile browser and instead are pushing full desktop version.
    If you want to have exact iPhone experience, purchase Evolution Browser in blackberry store, which you can set to pretend to web sites that you are on iPhone. You will then get sites as you are used to.
    Also check in the browser menu that you have desktop mode turned off. It's under settings/ programmers tools/.

Edit: if I misread your question, please clarify.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 10:13 AM
    Thanks everyone. I will try to recreate my yahoo account and try the Evolution browser, perhaps. I'll keep trying with this thing!

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 11:01 AM
    Need patience when switching OS. Go thru the tutorials and manual properly. I find many people just turn the thing on and expect it to work how they want it to.

Fired from my Z10
    OldSkoolVWLover and redsaph like this.
    08-02-13 11:10 AM
    Hey, all. I finally ditched my iPhone yesterday and picked up my Z10! I was SO excited to come back to BB (used to have a Tour) but am feeling a little deflated and need a pep talk. I realize that it will take some time to get used to the device and the OS, and it's only been 1 day (and I'm a stay at home mom...so I don't have time to fiddle with it during the day...and I don't have much time to type this out well now, so please forgive me), but I'm feeling that so many things are just HARD to set up, and things that were more straightforward on my Tour seem clunky on the Z10. For example, calendar, clock, bedside mode, and even email. Maybe it's operator error and/or learning curve, and I'm open to that. Can anyone please weigh in on some of these?

1. My emails aren't pushing. I still have the iPhone and it's getting my emails while my Z10 isn't. I have to go into the hub and "refresh" my emails in order for them to show up.

2. The touch screen seems not very responsive. I feel like I have to really hit it and press down before swiping. Am I doing something wrong?

3. When I open up the browser it looks so foreign to me. Is there a way to close all those little panes? I'm probably not articulating this well. It looks kind of busy and sloppy when I open it up.

EVERYONE close to me is an iPhone FAN, and iMessage and FaceTime have been an integral part of my life for the past 1.5 years, so being the lonely soul to move to BB is hard. I got Skype and will try it today (we "need" some kind of video chat so that my daughter can "see" my husband while he's traveling for work). Husband is open to using BBM whenever it hits iPhone. I have never used BBM but hope and assume it might be more user-friendly than Skype.

Anyway, sorry for the whining. I will give it more time, but am worried that I've become an iPhone sheep and can't get back into BB like I used to be. I hate saying that the iPhone really does just work, out of the box, without all these machinations I'm going through to set up the BB. Am also worried about the longevity of BB as a company and whether that should affect my choice of device at this time. Can y'all give me a pep talk to stick with it and slog through it? The lack of timely email updating is a deal breaker for me. The other stuff isn't.

I'm on Verizon, OS 10.1.0.2039.
    No one asked this, so I will. What OS is installed on your Z? Type "myver" - without the quotes - and add that information to your reply post. You may be suffering from OS performance issues, that can easily be remedied with an update. I'll be the first to tell you NOT to wait on an update from your carrier, and to learn how to use the desktop software for your device. Might seems scary, but but it is VERY easy to use. And if you need assistance we are all here to help you.
    08-02-13 11:17 AM
    When you open the web browser, you are presented with:
    a) bookmarks and/or
    b) last accessed websites

To delete your bookmarks, open the web browser, then click on the box on the lower left corner. Select Bookmarks. Here, you can delete the bookmarks by pressing on each one and holding down until you get the options on the right and then press the Delete button on the lower right. Do this for all bookmarks.

To delete the last access websites, open the web browser, then click on the three dots on the lower right corner. Then select Settings, then Privacy and Security, then scroll down and press Clear History.
    08-02-13 11:38 AM
    The "little panels" in the browser are thumbnails of site links on the new tab page. To get rid of it....

Open the browser
    Touch three little dots on the bottom right (this is called an overflow menu by the way)
    Touch settings
    Touch display and actions
    And make it look like this:

Talk me into my new Z10 (please!)! Having troubles with it-img_00001094.png

Then back out using the back key on the bottom left.

Now when you open the browser you'll get a Google search page.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    R7abb and Rowan M like this.
    08-02-13 11:43 AM
    Some of the issues are easier then others. The browser issue is just the default look, its just bookmarks that are saved on there. Just long press to delete them or keep them, then go into settings in the browser and assign the webpage you want to see everytime you open the browser; for me it's google. If you want to change your search engine just start typing in the URL and you will see (by default) a bing logo, just tap on that again and change it. Your browser should be set up for everyday use.

The touchscreen thing is crazy, the Z/Q10 is really responsive and fast. It's annoying how responsive it is at times, especially the Q. If the problem continues I would call the BlackBerry hotline, they are more then eager to help.

The email thing is trail and error, and its not just a BB thing, I helped a friend the other day because the iphone wouldn't send emails. You just have to check your settings when you setup the mail. Sometimes deleting and redoing the setup works.

I have one contact on BBM and I WISH I HAD MORE, I really like BBM and the video chat on it is crystal clear, its really a superior platform. And you dont have to worry about it getting hacked, like iMessage. When it comes cross platform, you will see. I applaud you for taking a dive back into BB, especially when everyone around you is on iPhone, but just show them the swiping features and the active frames, you will see that they are still in the stone age with that home button, click in click out, click in, click out. Good luck and if you have follow up questions, WE are here.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-02-13 11:44 AM
    Now this is what I like to see:

When someone has troubles, he's not called a troll. Instead, he's given tips. And the OP was specific with issues (instead of saying everything sucks) and asked for help.
    08-02-13 11:45 AM
    Precise summary of the problem BB has.
    "There is a learning curve, steeper for some than others. The best advice I can give is persevere with it, read the forums, then read them again. Good luck."
    08-02-13 11:59 AM
    Need patience when switching OS. Go thru the tutorials and manual properly. I find many people just turn the thing on and expect it to work how they want it to.

Fired from my Z10
    Lol that's all I did!

To the op the panes on start up are just there what you can do to skip them though is go into the browser. Select settings, select display and actions, then set up a homepage that it will automatically open too like Google for example.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 12:26 PM
    Sometimes you need to stay with what you are comfortable with. There's no point in switching to a new platform and not being happy with it. If you can, I'd advise you to simply change. Sometimes, things don't suit. At present you appear to be limited in how you communicate with those important to you, which defeats the purpose of having a smartphone.

No one here appears to be taking your needs into account and seems for personal and probably idealistic reasons pursue a line that demands you persevere and implies that things will get better. There is no guarantee that it will. The sensitivity that you are used to with the iPhone, your iMessaging and waiting on apps are things that you will have to get used to if you continue with the phone.

Sometimes a phone doesn't fit your needs. You really ought to think of the pluses and minuses for you before you make a final decision. None of us here can make it for you.
    Morty2264 and notfanboy like this.
    08-02-13 12:39 PM
    ^^^ gosh, thanks for all your help..

OP: do you have a screen protector? I've noticed that my screen is so sensitive that if it is left in the sun for a few minutes the screen sometimes struggles to find my fingers when I swipe. I usually have to let it cool for a few moments. I'm sure you're not using it only while standing in the sun, but it's just an example of how sensitive it is to heat.

Also, as far as Blackberry is concerned, they aren't going anywhere for a while. You can rest assured they will, at the very least, be around until your next upgrade. Hopefully, and as I tend to believe, they will slowly but surely get back into the market.
    Last edited by emailthisaddress; 08-02-13 at 05:45 PM.
    08-02-13 05:35 PM
    Z10 looks much nicer, that's all I care

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 06:04 PM
    Welcome (back) to BlackBerry, we're happy to help.

I'll deal with the email as no one has dealt with it properly and I have Yahoo. Yahoo is the weird email provider who has a weird implementation of push IMAP. It seems that only iOS has access to their protocol. Marissa Mayer was arrogant enough to not give her employees access to BlackBerry; I won't start on business conspiracy theories...

Bottom line is that we are stuck on 5 minute fetches rather than push. I will borrow my wife's iPhone and see if I can find a special server address that they use and go from there.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Last edited by deltact; 08-02-13 at 07:26 PM.
    miker476 likes this.
    08-02-13 06:37 PM
    Remember also, anything you want to do, tap and hold and see what pops up on the right hand side of the screen. You can find many things, tap and hold on an icon to find what it does (pops out) if you aren't sure.
    southlander likes this.
    08-02-13 06:52 PM
80 123 ...