CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Are T-Mobile Z10's unlocked if paid in full?

After reading many news from the Uncarrier (formerly known as T-mobile) I can't find any evidence that Z10s sold full price will be immediately unlocked. This is the case for upcoming iphones: if paid in full (rather than 99 upfront and 24 installments) they will unlock the phone right away.

It will suit me perfectly if the uncarrier is going to do this for Z10s. I rather have an unlocked STL 100-3 rfk121lw and use it with my carrier in Mexico and whenever I travel to the US have the ability of choosing some mvno (the true uncarriers) like simple mobile, go smart, or straight talk.

Why post this question? T-mobile's Z10 page states a srp of $531.99 total price... But it seems there's a catch because it amounts to the same $99.99 upfront and $18.00 a month for 24 months...

So, anybody bought from tmobile full price? Is it unlocked?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

C'mon, people, nobody can chime in?
    CrackBerry Abuser

no, it's locked regardless of buying outright or under installments.

to get it unlocked, you have to have t-mobile service on the device for (i believe) 60 days or more and they'll unlock it at no charge provided you need to use it outside the US.

i'm sure if you legitimately need it unlocked sooner then they'll work with you.

edit: 60, not 90.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by modifier; 03-27-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    Thanked by:
    retomex (03-27-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

They will unlock after 60 days.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    You really want it?

Per TMONews

T-Mobile confirmed that devices are locked to the carrier at purchase. <skip> Once the phone is paid off, T-Mobile can immediately process a SIM subsidy unlock for the device.
    <skip> for detail regarding iPhones that should also give insight
    T-Mobile agents in stores will be empowered to immediately process a request to get the device whitelisted by Apple right after it is paid for.
    To me the key is *can*, if paid in full they *should* be able to unlock the phone prior to you walking out of the corporate store (it's unclear to me that non-corporate stores/kiosks will or can do the same).
    Thanked by:
    retomex (03-27-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,912 Global Posts

T-Mo has always had a very lenient policy for unlocking phones. I've been with them since they started in the USA, so they will unlock my phones whenever... they know I'm in. Usually they're reasonable. Not sure if that has changed with new policy.
    Thanked by 2:
    hasanr92 (04-30-2013),  retomex (03-27-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    PM me

I bought one yesterday outright from T-Mobile. When I go to settings and look at the Sim Card settings, the Phone Network Lock is unlocked, the Network Subset is Unlocked, and the Service Provider is Unlocked.

Is there somewhere else that I should be checking to determine that the phone is unlocked? I believe that it is.
    Thanked by 3:
    jenil_295 (03-30-2013),  modifier (03-27-2013),  retomex (03-27-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

wow... well that's news. . unless it doesn't work with another carrier's SIM then it's indeed unlocked.

thanks for the info. . sounds like they've changed this policy drastically with the new plans.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by lifeinview View Post
    I bought one yesterday outright from T-Mobile. When I go to settings and look at the Sim Card settings, the Phone Network Lock is unlocked, the Network Subset is Unlocked, and the Service Provider is Unlocked.

Is there somewhere else that I should be checking to determine that the phone is unlocked? I believe that it is.
    So it looks like it's true! Thanks a lot! I'll do that on my next visit to the US.

For anyone interested how things are here in Mexico; Telcel, the country's largest carrier, has an exclusive to sell he Z10 for a couple of months. Other than scant info on their webpage and a link to a register page, they have nothing. There's no price, no info on availability, nothing...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,912 Global Posts

Yeah, just looked at mine that I bought last night - says it's unlocked.
    CrackBerry Master

Mine says it's unlocked as well. Bought for full-price ($539 I believe) at a T-Mobile store.

I don't have a different carrier SIM to try in it, but I wish I did! When I run into someone with an AT&T iPhone (which has the smaller SIM) I'll try to talk them out of the SIM for a few minutes and see what happens.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Hello there, please do it if you don't mind... I am very interested in the outcome since my carrier in usa is tmobile but I travel abroad a lot... Thanks and share your findings...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

Unfortunately t-mobile z10's are not unlocked , they still require a code. I tried my straight talk AT&T SIM card on it.

using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,980 Global Posts

I asked this the other day when I was in the store and I heard them say the Nexus 4 is the only unlocked phone they sell. I said don't you unlock all phones once paid for? The response was they will after 2 months.
    CrackBerry User

When I purchased my Z10 from TMobile on March 26, 2013, I was told that they would unlock it only after three months. As I am travelling to the UK after two and a half months of ownership, I am having it unlocked at the shop a few blocks over. We'll see how well that works out. I don't know how functional my Z10 will be in the UK, given all the comments about APNs and that sort of thing. EE are offering a 'pay as you go' option now, which I will check out once I arrive.
    CrackBerry User

Default T-Mobile is FANTASTIC!

I have never had any problem with T-Mobile unlocking ANY of my phones even after only having purchasing them for 30 days. I hav been with them for over 8 years and they value their customers so never give me any hassles concerning this issue!

I consider them to be SUPERB in customer service and helping me resolve any issues I have had with my Blackberries.

I purchased my Z10 the first day they came out here in S Cal and my local store helped me transfer my contacts and emails over to my Z10. They had already been trained on the Z10's and had them for almost a week to play with then and learn to sell them to customers!

I purchased my Z10 for $99.00 and $20/month for 20 months (no finance charge) for the cost of the phone. I saved over $20/month in service charges since I no longer needed the Blackberry BIS services AND no contract for unlimited talk, text and data ($80/month for family talk for 2 phones!)

There coverage for 4G is very good in my area, but may not be in yours, but their customer service and the way they handled any of my issues has been FANTASTIC!!
    Thanked by:
    grumpyaeroguy (05-30-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2gwm View Post
    I have never had any problem with T-Mobile unlocking ANY of my phones even after only having purchasing them for 30 days. I hav been with them for over 8 years and they value their customers so never give me any hassles concerning this issue!

I consider them to be SUPERB in customer service and helping me resolve any issues I have had with my Blackberries.

There coverage for 4G is very good in my area, but may not be in yours, but their customer service and the way they handled any of my issues has been FANTASTIC!!
    Couldn't agree more.
    GrumpyAeroGuy

Z10: STL100-3 10.2.1.1925, T-Mobile
    Q10: SQN100-5, 10.2.0.1725, Bell
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

I was able to get mine unlocked on T-Mobile US after being a customer for 40 days and also by then having paid it off.