Syncing google calendar, restoring apps, deleting Facebook contacts and more
I purchased the Z10 this weekend. I'm pretty happy with it as of now. However, there's a few things I would like to configure, but I'm not able to do so. That's why I'm seeking for your help.
1. I was able to sync the contacts of my free Gmail account via CarDAV. Everything works fine. Regargind the calendar though, it's another thing. I tryed to configure my Z10 with my calendar from Gmail with CalDAV, but it didn't work. I read that it is a common trouble with the new Z10 and Gmail's calendar. I also read that Hotmail's calendar was working. Regarding this I would like to know if there's a solution to automatically sync (both ways) Gmail's calendar with the Z10. If not, is there a way to automatically sync (both ways) Gmail's calendar with Hotmail's one?
2. On my old Bold (9780), I had received, as RIM's gift after the troubles of last spring regarding the shutdown of the BIS service for a few days, the paying Shazaam application for free. I would like to transfer this application to my new device. I log on BlacBerry World with my new Z10 with my BlackBerry ID (the one that received the free application). I went into the menu and selected "My World". I see the applications currently installed on my Z10, but I don't see the Shazaam application that is currently installed on my Bold. How can I transfer this application to my BlackBerry Z10?
3.1. Something on my Z10 upsets me a little bit. I have configured my Facebook account on my Z10. It works well. It shows in the Hub and I get my Facebook contacts in the contact's app on the device. I tried to delete my Facebook contacts from the contacts of my Z10. In the contacts' app's settings (from the drop down menu), I slided to "off" the Facebook contacts fr them not to show in the contacts' app. It worked insantly. Nevertheless, when I restart my device, my Facebook contacts reappear into the contacts' app. Is there a way to make that setting last forever?
3.2. Also, even before restarting my device (so while my Facebook contacts don't show in the Contacts' app anymore), when I start to type a contact's name while typing a message, I still get suggestions of contacts from Facebook and not only from my device's contacts. How can I make sure only the contacts showing in the Contacts' app on my device (so not my Facebook contacts) get suggested to me when I type a message?
4. In the Hub, I get many notifications; some for Facebook, for BBM, for my different email accounts, for the phone, etc. When I get to the left of the Hub, I can select a source of notification. Is there a way to modify the order of the sources' title in the blacl menu? I know I can change the order of my email accounts with their description, but can I decided to list "Phone" before "BBM" and "Notifications" and the end of the list, etc.?
5. Regarding contacts and calendar syncing, I know it can be done online (via Outlook.com for instance), but I was wondering if it could be done locally (without send those contacts and calendars online) by wifi or Bluetooth. I must say I'm using a Mac. I tried using the BlackBerry Link software (version 220.127.116.11) on Mac to sync my contacts and calendars, but I didn't find out how to do it. I was only able to sync music, images, videos and documents. Is it possible to do it? If so, how? I even wasn't able to import those contacts and calendars. Is it possible to do it? If so, how?
Thank you very much for your help and have a good day,
Last edited by Blaccko; 04-16-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Correcting version number
- CrackBerry User
04-08-2013, 02:12 PM #4
- 33 Posts
The Google calendar is fully setup on mine now.
I'm using a free Google apps account.
Enter normal info.
Under server info. Enter https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/YOURUSERNAME/events
For multiple calendars open browser.
Now select the ones you want to sync.
Let me know of this works.
Posted via CB10
Thanks for your help QuIcKsIlV3r and smerrikin. Sorry if I didn't respond sooner; I was away for vacations.
First of all, I've lloked at the answers you provided, and it helped me. As instance, the calendars of Gmail seems to be syncing well now since this update (point 2) . I guess all the bad words about syncing Gmail calendars with the Z10 were issued prior to this update and this led me to not even try myself to see if it was working. So thanks again smerrikin. Regarding my Shazam issue, I guess when Shazam will be available for BB10, I'll get it free in the "My World" section as I had it before with my Bold 9780. This would be logical. Also, the trouble with my Facebook contacts always reappearing in the contacts of my device seems to be over now. In fact, the toggle now stays set to "Off" and doesn't swicht to the "On" mode every time I restart my phone. That is a good thing.
However, I still have a few issues listed above that are still pending and I discovered other glitchs that I would like to find an answer for.
1. I have configured my Facebook account on my Z10. It works well. It shows in the Hub and I get my Facebook contacts in the contact's app on the device. I tried to delete my Facebook contacts from the contacts of my Z10. In the contacts' app's settings (from the drop down menu), I slided to "off" the Facebook contacts for them not to show in the contacts' app. It worked insantly. Nevertheless, while my Facebook contacts don't show in the Contacts' app anymore, when I start to type a contact's name while composing a message, I still get suggestions of contacts from Facebook and not only from my device's contacts. How can I make sure only the contacts showing in the Contacts' app on my device (so not my Facebook contacts) get suggested to me when I type a message?
2. Moreovre, in the Hub, I get many notifications; some for Facebook, for BBM, for my different email accounts, for the phone, etc. When I get to the left of the Hub, I can select a source of notification. Is there a way to modify the order of the sources' title in the blacl menu? I know I can change the order of my email accounts with their description, but can I decided to list "Phone" before "BBM" and "Notifications" and the end of the list, etc.?
3. Regarding contacts and calendar syncing, I know it can be done online (via Outlook.com for instance), but I was wondering if it could be done locally (without send those contacts and calendars online) by wifi or Bluetooth. I must say I'm using a Mac. I tried using the BlackBerry Link software (version 18.104.22.168) on Mac to sync my contacts and calendars, but I didn't find out how to do it. I was only able to sync music, images, videos and documents. Is it possible to do it? If so, how? I even wasn't able to import those contacts and calendars. Is it possible to do it? If so, how? Some people told me it's possible to do a one-way sync with BlackBerry Link on Windows. Is it possible with the Mac version?
4. In the "header" of my phone, I get informations about the network, the time of the day, etc. Nevertheless, I think it would be useful to be able to see the DATE, not only the time, of the day. I looked in the "Display" settings, but didn't find out how to do this. Is there a way?
5. Also, I'm french. How can I search for only apps with a french version in the BlackBerry World (both, while searching on my phone and on my computer (http://appworld.blackberry.com)?
6. When in the Hub, when I hit the "compose" button, I can, for example, compose a text message. If I do that and select a contact which I've already send a text message to, I don't get the historic of all the messages I exchanged with that contact in the "compose" windows. However, if, instead of going this way (compose button in the Hub), I directly click on the text message conversation with that contact in the Hub, I can see the historic of all the messages I exchanged with that contactin the reply window. Is there a way I can, all the time (while composing a text message via the "compose" button in the Hub and while replying directly to a conversation already started in the Hub), see the historic of all the messages I exchanged with a contact when I send him a text message?
7. How can I do some paragraphs in text messages. It seems that each time I hit the "enter" button while composing a text message, it only send the message I'm typing. I cannot do some paragraphs. I've tried a few combinaisons (includint Shift+Enter) as I used to do with my Bold 9780, but none worked. What's the trick?
8. How can I do a "delete" (inversed bacspace; deleting the next-to-the-right caracter, not the one next-to-the-left) when composing a message (whether it is email, text message or anything)? On my old Bold 9780, I used to hit Shift+Backspace to accomplish that. Now, it doesn't seem to work that way. Again, what's the trick?
9. Can I transfert the old text messages from my Bold 9780 to my new Z10? If yes, how?
10. I wonder what's the use of the "volume" button on the right side of the device. It doesn't seem to be lowering or increase the volume of the ringer. If I shut down completly the sound using the said button, the ringer still works at full power. Is the button only modifying the overall volume (volume of notifications, games, music, etc.) on the device?
11. I know the Z10 can use a MicroSD card. What is the advantage of using a card except from increasing the amount of space available and why should I store stuff on the card instead than on the device itself? Also, if I use a MicroSD card, what's better to store on this card and what's better to store on the device memory itself? For example, on a cimputer with a SDD drive (faster) an an HD drive (slower), it's better to store programs and files I access often on the faster drive and less used stock on the slower drive. Is there something similar with the Z10 and it's MicroSD card? Why shouShould I store my downloaded apps on the card or on the device? What about musics and Word files?
With that said, I find the Z10 a wonderful device. There's a few thing I would like to get differently (so if you have an answer for me, I'll gladly hear it! ; )), but I find the device to be very nice to use.
Thanks a lot for you help everyone and have a nice day.
I have another question that I would like to add to the list above. If I sideload an app to install it on my Z10 following these instructions, will I be notified (via BlackBerry World or by any other ways) that a new version of the .bar file I used to sideload said app is available? I don't think so. If I'm right and I'm not notified about new versions of the .bar files of the sideloaded app I installed on my Z10, is there a way to stay up to date about my sideloaded app?
Still learning new tricks with my Z10, I have another fews questions about the device.
First of all, I configured my Gmail's calendar with my device using CalDAV. It works well. When I modify my calendar from Gmail's website, the modification gets on my phone too. However, when I modify my calendar on my phone, the modification doesn't go on Gmail's calendar (online). In fac, after a few minutes, the synchronisation process occurs and then, my device's calendar gets back to the Gmail's online version. Is this a normal behaviour? Am I doing something wrong? The strange thing about that is that my computer's calendar applicaiton iCal is sync with Gmail's calendar too and, with this configuration, when I modify my computer's version of Gmail's calendar, this modification is tresfered to Gmail's calendar website. How can I transfer a modification made to my phone's version of Gmail's calendar to Gmail's calendar website (online)?
With a Gmail account set up on me Z10 using IMAP, I realize that messages older than 30 days get "flushed" away from my phone. However, they stay in my inbox on Gmail's website (as I need them to be there). Is there a way to tell my phone not to delete emails that are older than 30 days?
Moreover, is it possible to delete some of the auto-corrections that come with the phones (but not all of them) and to add others? If so, how?
Finally, do you know if the Remember app for the Z10 will eventually gets an alarm function? If so, when should we see such functionality?
Thanks again for your help everyone!
Hi again! ; )
Yesterday, an update was available for an app I have installed on my Z10. So, I went on BlackBerry World and download said update. Hoever, there's a problem with the new version of the app. Now, the app crashes everytime I load it. So, is it possible to get an older version of an app or to "undo" an app update that was made via BlackBerry World? If so, how can I do that?
Thanks and have a great day,
A little UP for my MULTIPLE (I now realize it ; ) questions please.
By the way, I'd like to add two other small questions...
If I download a PDF file from the web browser on my Z10, where is it placed (in which folder)? I looked in the "Downloads" folder on my phone, but didn't find the PDF file I just downloaded. Seems like I can only access my web browser downloads from the browser itself. I am right?
Also, when I open a .doc or .pdf file from my emails in the Hub, are tose files downloaded and saved somewhere? If yes, where? Again, I went and looked at the "Downloads" folder, but didn't find the newly opened files from my emails.
P.-S. Maybe a moderator could advice me on this one; would it be better, taking into account the number of different questions above, that I create a separate post for each different question (or different topic)?
I found two more things that are acting a little bit strange on my new Z10.
First, I often switch from "silent" mode to "normal" mode. I do this using the top (pulling down) menu. However, whenever I restard my phone, it seems that the switch gets back to be between "normal" and "vibrating" mode. Is there a way to make the phone remember how the switch was before the restart and keep it between "silent" and "normal" instead of going back with the default one?
Moreover, I put an MicroSD card in my device this week-end. Everything works fine execpt, since I enabled USB Mass Storage in the settings, Link won't launch anymore on my Mac. It won't launch either automatically when I plug my phone, either when I try to start it manually when my phone is plugged in my computer. Though, I can launch Link on my Mac when the phone is not connected to it and, before enabling the USB Mass Storage option, Link would launch while my phone was connected to my computer. What should I do to correct this behaviour?
Thanks a lot everyone one and have a great week!
P.-S. Again, if a moderator thinks it would be better to divide my post into multiple ones, each regarding a specific topic, let me know and I'll be glad to do it.
I'd like to know how to load older events from my Gmail calendar to my phone. In fact, I'd like to get all my events from the last few years. Is it possible? How?
Same for the emails. For now, after 30 days, they get flushed from my phone, even though they're still in my inbox in Gmail. How can I get them to stay on my phone as long as they stay in my inbox in Gmail?
I'd like to help you, but I don't really know how...
For myself, my for calendars in Gmail appeared on my phone directly when I followed the procedure you quoted above, but just the first part, without the "For multiple calendars, open..." Otherwise, you could try what Smerrikin suggested for multiple calendars and see if it works.
Hope this help,
- By bry360 in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 0Last Post: 12-26-2009, 12:27 AM
- By bry360 in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 12-26-2009, 12:27 AM
- By bry360 in forum BlackBerry Tour 9630Replies: 2Last Post: 12-25-2009, 11:16 PM
- By bry360 in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 2Last Post: 12-25-2009, 11:16 PM
- By italpasta in forum RogersReplies: 3Last Post: 02-25-2009, 05:58 PM