Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. nikoz10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Sync emails longer then 30 days?

    Hi,

    Long time Blackberry customer, I was there since the beginning. Even through Storm and Storm 2 I stuck with Blackberry. All because I love to be able to have all my emails on my phone.

    I switched to a Galaxy S3, they had the option of syncing all my emails. Unfortunately I have so much emails that the phones email would always crash.

    I read reviews and I really put a lot of hope on this new Blackberry as the last straw for my loyalty. Preordered and got it on the first day. Now I notice that it only has an option to sync to 30 days ....... SIGH... I really like this phone but to be honest how could they have dropped the ball on this option as it is crucial for people like me...

    Gripes about the email option and not releasing the keyboard phone at the same time (though typing on Z10 kills the rest)

    Anyone know if it is possible to sync emails "forever" like the older BB's?? I hope people @ Blackberry read this forums and fix this problem ASAP.

    Thanks guys/girls

    Lets hope that BB is back! (had over 100 contacts on bbm before and before i left less than 10.. now its back to 20)
  2. nikoz10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

    Default

    bump

    anyone know if its possible to sync forever?
  3. lunaticwithin's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    No it's not, and it has been discussed several times in other threads on Crackberry. But then again you did bash your previous phone that could sync forever due to the email client crashing under the weight of emails?

    If you are connected to an exchange server (and outlook.com/hotmail) I believe you can do remote searches for email not on your phone. I would assume the same of a Google Apps for Business account setup as an Exchange account.
  4. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,419 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikoz10 View Post
    Hi,

    Long time Blackberry customer, I was there since the beginning. Even through Storm and Storm 2 I stuck with Blackberry. All because I love to be able to have all my emails on my phone.

    I switched to a Galaxy S3, they had the option of syncing all my emails. Unfortunately I have so much emails that the phones email would always crash.

    I read reviews and I really put a lot of hope on this new Blackberry as the last straw for my loyalty. Preordered and got it on the first day. Now I notice that it only has an option to sync to 30 days ....... SIGH... I really like this phone but to be honest how could they have dropped the ball on this option as it is crucial for people like me...

    Gripes about the email option and not releasing the keyboard phone at the same time (though typing on Z10 kills the rest)

    Anyone know if it is possible to sync emails "forever" like the older BB's?? I hope people @ Blackberry read this forums and fix this problem ASAP.

    Thanks guys/girls

    Lets hope that BB is back! (had over 100 contacts on bbm before and before i left less than 10.. now its back to 20)

    That's only the initial sync, after that point it will sync everything for as long as you want.
  5. D Mac's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    953 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,012 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    That's only the initial sync, after that point it will sync everything for as long as you want.
    Good to know. I was assuming that to be the case so it's good to hear it confirmed.
    Click on the link below for some great free Blackberry Themes

    The Theme Zone
    http://thethemezone.blogspot.com
  6. prokopy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    That's only the initial sync, after that point it will sync everything for as long as you want.
    Wondering if you know how long it will take after the initial sync. It has been 3 days for me and I still only have 30 days of emails.

    Thanks
  7. lunaticwithin's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    That's only the initial sync, after that point it will sync everything for as long as you want.
    Where did you find that out?
  8. D Mac's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    953 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,012 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prokopy View Post
    Wondering if you know how long it will take after the initial sync. It has been 3 days for me and I still only have 30 days of emails.

    Thanks
    Are you saying 3 days ago you had messages going back to Jan 6th, then 2 days ago Jan 6th was deleted and they only went back to Jan 7th, then yesterday they went back to Jan 8th and the 7th was deleted, etc?

    Or you are saying 3 days ago they went back to ~Jan 6th and today they still only go back that far?

    If its the second then that's the way it should work. You started with 30 days worth of emails. You now have 33 days. In 11 months you will have 12 months worth of emails. Etc...
    Click on the link below for some great free Blackberry Themes

    The Theme Zone
    http://thethemezone.blogspot.com
  9. prokopy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D Mac View Post
    Are you saying 3 days ago you had messages going back to Jan 6th, then 2 days ago Jan 6th was deleted and they only went back to Jan 7th, then yesterday they went back to Jan 8th and the 7th was deleted, etc?

    Or you are saying 3 days ago they went back to ~Jan 6th and today they still only go back that far?

    If its the second then that's the way it should work. You started with 30 days worth of emails. You now have 33 days. In 11 months you will have 12 months worth of emails. Etc...

    When I set it up it was showing emails from jan. 5th. today they are showing emails from jan. 8th, They don't get deleted from the server but it is only showing the last 30 days of emails.

    I also just noticed that when I delete an email from my blackberry, they don't show in the deleted folder on the phone or the deleted folder in my email clients web browser application. same happens with sent items
  10. D Mac's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    953 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,012 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Weird. Mine shows emails from January 29th on both my email accounts. (this is the same as when I first set it up) I guess I'll have to wait till March 1st to see if it starts deleting those ones.

    Yes my deleted messages don't show up in my deleted folder on my other devices either, but that it because they are still on my inbox there. (but that doesn't explain why they don't show up in the trash on my device)

    My sent items do show up though.
    Click on the link below for some great free Blackberry Themes

    The Theme Zone
    http://thethemezone.blogspot.com
  11. D Mac's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    953 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,012 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Ok I just figured something out. This applies for Gmail accounts, I can't say for sure for others.

    If you set up your Gmail using IMAP it will keep your messages forever, however you will not get 2 way sync with your google calendar.
    If you set up your Gmail as an Exchange account it will only keep your messages for 30 days, however you Do get 2 way google calendar support.

    So the solution is to set up 2 accounts: Set up your account using IMAP but only set that for Email. Set it up again using Exchange and do Not have that one sync email only have it sync Calendar and Contacts. That way you get the best of both.
    Click on the link below for some great free Blackberry Themes

    The Theme Zone
    http://thethemezone.blogspot.com
  12. prokopy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D Mac View Post
    Ok I just figured something out. This applies for Gmail accounts, I can't say for sure for others.

    If you set up your Gmail using IMAP it will keep your messages forever, however you will not get 2 way sync with your google calendar.
    If you set up your Gmail as an Exchange account it will only keep your messages for 30 days, however you Do get 2 way google calendar support.

    So the solution is to set up 2 accounts: Set up your account using IMAP but only set that for Email. Set it up again using Exchange and do Not have that one sync email only have it sync Calendar and Contacts. That way you get the best of both.
    So I have an icloud account (I switched from iphone and this is my first bb). This is what is happening with me. When i delete a message from icloud, the z10 creates a new folder called deleted messages and puts it there. when I delete from the phone, it deletes forever no way of getting it back.

    When I send a message from icloud, it creates a new folder on my phone called sent messages and stores it there, when I send a message from the phone it stores it in the Sent box on the phone.

    My calendar and contacts synced great. I have 2 way communication and works flawlessly. I will try setting up my icloud email only with exchange and see what happens
  13. nikoz10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Sigh... So there is no solution to this? I must say blackberry dropped the ball on this, a lot of times i need to reference emails way past 30 days for business but it only keeps emails to a maximum of 30 days.. Anybody know how to change this?
  14. D Mac's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    953 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,012 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikoz10 View Post
    Sigh... So there is no solution to this? I must say blackberry dropped the ball on this, a lot of times i need to reference emails way past 30 days for business but it only keeps emails to a maximum of 30 days.. Anybody know how to change this?
    Yes there is. Like I mentioned just use IMAP. It is working for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by D Mac View Post
    Ok I just figured something out. This applies for Gmail accounts, I can't say for sure for others.

    If you set up your Gmail using IMAP it will keep your messages forever, however you will not get 2 way sync with your google calendar.
    If you set up your Gmail as an Exchange account it will only keep your messages for 30 days, however you Do get 2 way google calendar support.

    So the solution is to set up 2 accounts: Set up your account using IMAP but only set that for Email. Set it up again using Exchange and do Not have that one sync email only have it sync Calendar and Contacts. That way you get the best of both.
    Click on the link below for some great free Blackberry Themes

    The Theme Zone
    http://thethemezone.blogspot.com
  15. DocGo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me
    #15  

    Default Sync emails longer then 30 days?

    I use the IMAP method as well to get my Gmail for email only. I noted that this method allows me access to all my mail folders (I file away emails meticulously). I only use the Activesync method for contacts and calendar (bec email sync using activesync does not show me all my email folders).


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Black BB Q10 on Rogers
    (iPhone 5 as back up phone)
    DocGo

    2 Cor 12:9
  16. Elite1's Avatar


    Posts
    12,210 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,322 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikoz10 View Post
    Sigh... So there is no solution to this? I must say blackberry dropped the ball on this, a lot of times i need to reference emails way past 30 days for business but it only keeps emails to a maximum of 30 days.. Anybody know how to change this?
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    I'd recommend you add your carrier to your profile. Sometimes might help someone to answer you.

    I would highly expect BBRY to change this in a future OS update. I think many people will be upset.

    I don't mind the 30 days' limit. I do however mind missing option to delete from handheld only, not from server. I like to keep my BB inbox clean, but sometimes want the email on my PC to file away.

    What upset me more was my Saved Messages not transferring over. Honestly haven't spent any time looking into it, so maybe there was a workaround that I missed. I still have both my old 9900 and my backups. I had several dozen saved messages.

    I'm willing to chalk it up to growing pains, but I believe many consumers will expect better options offered by the new BB10 platform.
    Saving the world, one OS at a time...

    Follow Me On Twitter: @elite1_
    How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

    Curve 8330Tour 9630Bold 9700Torch 9800Bold 9900Z10
    Z30
    psst... Here's THANKS button
    Thanked by:
    akilaw (07-18-2013) 
  17. nikoz10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

    Default

    Hi,

    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I actually use my hotmail account and im not too sure where to find the imap setting. Currently with rogers in Canada.
  18. nikoz10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

    Default

    Wow what a useless update
  19. nikoz10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

    Default

    Sigh, I've emailed BlackBerry a couple times but I'm guessing they are too busy making "Cool" commercials to address their loyal business users... time to switch to Apple I guess.
  20. Omnitech's Avatar
    Dragon Slayer

    Posts
    9,700 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
    I would highly expect BBRY to change this in a future OS update. I think many people will be upset.
    There have been some relatively official statements from BBRY staff that this will be added at some point. My guess is it will come with 10.1 which is slated for March.


    Quote Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
    I don't mind the 30 days' limit. I do however mind missing option to delete from handheld only, not from server. I like to keep my BB inbox clean, but sometimes want the email on my PC to file away.
    That's a POP3 thing, old school.

    Since I can't yet get a Z10 here, I can't verify and the Z10 documentation is extremely sparse, but some IMAP/EAS clients can configure things like what delete does and so on. I don't know how configurable the BB10/Z10 email client is in that regard. If it's not settable now it could easily be added as an option later - ie "Delete action: immediately delete/send to trash folder/send to archive folder/etc".


    Quote Originally Posted by nikoz10 View Post
    time to switch to Apple I guess.
    Happy trails.
  21. buwee's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    742 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikoz10 View Post
    Sigh, I've emailed BlackBerry a couple times but I'm guessing they are too busy making "Cool" commercials to address their loyal business users... time to switch to Apple I guess.
    Nice attitude bud...ba bye
  22. Elite1's Avatar


    Posts
    12,210 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,322 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikoz10 View Post
    Sigh, I've emailed BlackBerry a couple times but I'm guessing they are too busy making "Cool" commercials to address their loyal business users... time to switch to Apple I guess.
    You're an early adopter, and it's been all of 4 weeks! Patience is a virtue, remember.
    Maybe yours has already expired, but that's likely a rash decision for an issue that should be gone within another month or two. Plus you can look at changing your email account type — much easier than changing your smartphone again!
    Saving the world, one OS at a time...

    Follow Me On Twitter: @elite1_
    How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

    Curve 8330Tour 9630Bold 9700Torch 9800Bold 9900Z10
    Z30
    psst... Here's THANKS button
  23. rocmon's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    54 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    I just noticed this limit for the first time the other day, although I'm anxious to see an update provide close to equivalent of previous ability to store messages perpetually on-device, I have found decent compromise by using the spectacular browser to access me email accounts via web...

    I still miss the keyboard, I want my Q asap!
    hooked on bb!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 06:07 PM
  2. Entering email password every 30 days
    By NorthCounty in forum BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 07:34 PM
  3. Emails gone after 30 days - help
    By schap in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 11:57 AM
  4. If you have ATT and your Pearl is less then 30 days old
    By dudebrown in forum BlackBerry Pearl 8100
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 12:12 PM
  5. Verizon 30 day test and Sync Issue
    By dlathem in forum BlackBerry 8830 WE
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions