HAha the old spec myth appears for the billionth time should dump these in a universal thread there is always a sucker tricked by silly gimmicks.Where is the proof that quad core improves the phone?? Why are manufacturers jumping to high specs so quickly?? When they release phones that work on the same level as their dual core versions you getting fleeced son.Even begs the question those the current cyborg os need quad core just to run somewhat smoothly as it still lags.

Where's your quad core now?? wheres your specs at?? Why is there horrible blue tint around the screen its suppose to be premium flagship?? This is a dev device whooping that azz final product is gonna be even more slick as they tuned up the internals beefed up the ram.There's no better spec than qnx and fine tuned programed optimization.If you still want to waffle we can go get more dev device beating the comp..
    Last edited by RECOOL; 01-02-13 at 04:59 PM.
    Kandoo-BB and missing_K-W like this.
    01-02-13 04:08 PM
    I don't either. But I've never been kicked off a Board like Jim B has or sidelined like Mike L. That said I've never thought that BB was a high performance phone. BB10 and including PlayBook alongside are high performance in spec and OS. I'm very happy with the direction they have progressed to. My beef is the length of time to do it. Would have saved a lot of drama and people loosing a lot of money too.
    Mike L currently heads up innovation at RIM, which I would consider the most important role at RIM currently, outside of CEO position. Jim B left on his own accord.

I did have issues with time to market. However the plus side is the longer the delay, the more cutting edge technology that will be in the release
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 01-02-13 at 06:36 PM.
    pmccartney likes this.
    01-02-13 04:17 PM
    Why does anyone have concern for BB10 specs? The z 10 can run 8 intensive apps in parallel. Who else can claim that? No one
    01-02-13 06:28 PM
    Every specs troll needs to be made to watch this until their eyes bleed or they can fall over crying, which ever clmes first.

thats pretty impressive, its not only the playbook that loads 30% faster then the ipad with same specs its also a dev alpha with meh specs beating a SGSIII

edit: apparently the tested SGSIII was the international quadcore version even more
    01-02-13 07:04 PM
    Just watch this

So nice. Screen looks nicer too than the GS3.
    01-02-13 08:25 PM
    Goddamn! I was starting to loose momentum, my "pumped-ness" about BB10, but those performance videos vs the S3 have seriously renewed by faith!
    01-02-13 08:29 PM
    you know it wasn't untill the iPhone4 came out that the iPhones specs surpaced a BBs specs

iPhone 3GS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    BlackBerry Bold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

what made the iphone good and what still makes it as fast as it is, is the OS, iOS is smooth and quick the iphone5 is only 1.2ghz dual core with 1gb of ram, in a number race it is behind and has been behind since the LTE and skyrocket galaxy S-II.

the OS on a mobile device does a lot more then more power it allows for longer battery life with equal speed if not better, which is why iphones have been where they are and one reason Android devices need to hammer out the specs to compete pace wise
    Just to correct something...The 3GS had better specs than the Bold 9000. More RAM, a better CPU (forget the Mhz count), a discrete GPU...

iPhones usually have specs every bit as good as the top end Android phones. Their GPUs are usually better (and that's actually the most important bit since most of the truly demanding apps are games). The iPhone 5 is faster and more powerful than 99% of the high end Android phones out there and has a more powerful GPU than any Android phone out there.
    01-03-13 12:49 AM
    I know all about BB using less data and needs less cpu speed to run as smooth and efficient BUT......I heard that when I bought my Torch ( a laggy piece of junk) and my next torch 2 with the updated os, then the 9900 with the newer os.

If everyone keeps saying specs have nothing to do with smoothness and lagging then all my frustration has to go to the software guys, right? Well then they suck. I actually let my dog have my Torch to play with I hated it so much and the newer one wasn't really better.

All I want is a BB with smoothness.
    BBOS was never intended to go as far as it did or be able to do what it was able to do in the end.
    BB10 is in a new universe relitively speaking!
    I'll add that what RIMs engineers were able to do with BBOS was fantastic when you think about what they were working with.
    01-03-13 03:29 AM
    They were plagued by awful management that was ignorant of where the market was going. But now they have Thorsten Heins at the helm, and he really seems to know how to bring RIM back as a powerful competitor.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    They were plagued by their OS!
    01-03-13 03:35 AM
    Just watch this

I'd like to see what a non modded GS3 does, because that GS3 is not running stock. Even if it's just a custom launcher, they affect performance. Also it's well known that the quad core, single Gb of RAM international version is slower than the North American dual core version with 2 gb of RAM. However I find it disingenuous that it's clearly not a stock launcher GS3 being used.

Not that anyone here will care about that as it APPEARS to prove their point, but just saying, that test is flawed. Good to see some of the YouTube commenters picked up on that too.

All I want for Christmas, New Years and my birthday is hockey back, or Bettmans head on a platter. Whichever's easier...
    01-03-13 04:01 AM
    Bookmark so I can watch this later at home.

The comment about the S3 not running stock is somewhat reminiscent of the Gadget Master test where they had BB Dev A on wifi and a iPhone 5 (I think) on hotspot. Pointless.
    01-03-13 06:32 AM

Bookmark so I can watch this later at home.

The comment about the S3 not running stock is somewhat reminiscent of the Gadget Master test where they had BB Dev A on wifi and a iPhone 5 (I think) on hotspot. Pointless.
    For that one they had the dev alpha running through the iPhones hotspot.
    01-03-13 08:19 AM
    What is pointless is so many people still sticking up for RIM and their continued lack of utilizing the latest hardware. I admit that it will be "good enough" for todays applications and this version of BB10, but in 12 months when BB11 drops will it still be "good enough"? Or when newer apps are released that take more advantage of the multi core processors, will it still be enough?

These mobile devices are the computers of tommorow, and for some they may be their only computer. While a 1.5Mhz dual core computer will work, very few of us would choose it over a 3Mhz quad core - if the prices were the same and the rated battery life were the same.

To me the Z10 is a mid grade device, if RIM prices it and promtes it as such then I'm fine with it. If they price it as a top of the line device, then I'm afraid that the "market" is not going to support it.
    01-03-13 08:56 AM
    how many time has this thread title changed, I keep coming back thinking its something new, only to realize..... move along, nothing to see here....
    01-03-13 09:16 AM
    These mobile devices are the computers of tommorow, and for some they may be their only computer. While a 1.5Mhz dual core computer will work, very few of us would choose it over a 3Mhz quad core - if the prices were the same and the rated battery life were the same.
    (minus the huge gap in clock speed you reference, because that's not the argument people are making, stick with dual vs quad 1.5GHz)

Clock speed doesn't seem to stop Mac buyers from paying inflated prices for machines with CPU chips that are "slower" than their Windows counterparts....
    01-03-13 09:28 AM
    I'm sick of you "spec nerds". If I wanted to haul lumber across the country I wouldn't use a Bugatti even though it has 1000hp, I would use a lower "spec'd" truck because that's what it is optimized for. I'd I want to get from coast to coast on the least amount of gas, I would drive a Prius and not a "higher spec'd" Hummer because again. That's not what it's optimized for. Do specs matter? Yes but more for what it's designed for not just to make you feel better.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-03-13 09:47 AM
    What is pointless is so many people still sticking up for RIM and their continued lack of utilizing the latest hardware. I admit that it will be "good enough" for todays applications and this version of BB10, but in 12 months when BB11 drops will it still be "good enough"? Or when newer apps are released that take more advantage of the multi core processors, will it still be enough?

To me the Z10 is a mid grade device, if RIM prices it and promtes it as such then I'm fine with it. If they price it as a top of the line device, then I'm afraid that the "market" is not going to support it.
    Again what is the final device hardware's processor (you won't know for sure till January 30th)? Assuming the leak is true of the Qualcomm Dual Core S4, there is only one processor on the market that is faster and that is the Quad Core S4, which is available in much lower quantity than the dual core at this time. The only processor that may be better and coming out soon is the TI OMAP 5430, but it isn't available yet either. 2GB or RAM, don't know what has more. Screen PPI is better than most phones available other than the DNA and the Note2 which are huge screens. Screen size, is subjective. Apple has shown their is demand for a smaller screen, and Android has shown demand for a larger screen, so their should be demand for a screen size between the two which the L/Z is in. So what specs are lacking on this device because I'm not seeing any?

As for the mobile devices are the computers of tomorrow, while true, their will be new phones coming out for many more "tomorrows" when this actually happens. RIM has stated they expect BB10 to be a desktop replacement, and I'm sure will be working towards that goal either with the L/Z or a device to be released "tomorrow".
    01-03-13 09:52 AM
    I will try the Z10 out and load a bunch of stuff and see what happens

but think about this....Apple was zero in the phone business 5.5 years ago, they have had 6 models I think now that have come out, so for 5.5 years and 6 models RIMM is just now deciding to put out a phone that competes on the same level? Man what took them so long. I know they tried that Storm surepress stuff, that didn't work.
    All I can hope is this new BB10 works and then they will make a great querty model since I miss my keyboard.
    I hope you don't mind me asking, I dont understand that if you have a 9900 why would you miss the keyboard (thread 6) sorry if I have this wrong.
    And has the X10 escaped your notice.
    01-03-13 10:58 AM
    Just to correct something...The 3GS had better specs than the Bold 9000. More RAM, a better CPU (forget the Mhz count), a discrete GPU...

iPhones usually have specs every bit as good as the top end Android phones. Their GPUs are usually better (and that's actually the most important bit since most of the truly demanding apps are games). The iPhone 5 is faster and more powerful than 99% of the high end Android phones out there and has a more powerful GPU than any Android phone out there.
    i never said anythign abotu the 9000 it was older technology then the 3GS i was referring to the 9700, as well no one forgets the MHz count no one knows about CPU architecture or what kind of GPU, i know this is an indication of speed but as far as specs seen the 9700 boosts slightly higher
    01-03-13 11:55 AM

What really is pointless is people like you finding reasons to hate on RIM.
    "continued lack of utilizing the latest hardware" FYI this is a new platform and RIM has been more than competitive with specs ln QNX. Lets backtrack a bit. The Playbook had specs that were aruguably the best on the market when it launched, and it still sports great specs today (except the screen). Again why do they need to give you higher specs when the device has no real use for?

THE Z10 IS NOT A MID GRADE DEVICE!!! For one you do not know the true specs, but the rumors thus far is anything but mid grade.

You call the iPhone 5 High end? Well spec wise the Z10 has better.

IPhone 5 vs Z10
    321 ppi vs 356 ppi
    1136x960 vs 1280x768
    1.2ghz dual core vs 1.5ghz dual core
    1Gb RAM vs 2GB RAM
    8MP vs 8MP (rear facing camera)
    1.3MP vs 2MP (front facing camera)
    Note* both front and rear facing camera on bb10 shoots full 1080p HD
    Bluetooth 4.0
    4G LTE Radios

Im sure the z10 will be more than capable of handling everything thats thrown at it for the next two years or so. Its all about optimization. You'll see come january 30 z10 will be owning its quadcore counterparts...just like iphone 5 is already doing with dualcore and just like the Dev alphas have been doing with underclocked cpu. Blackberry is NOT in the spec race. It is not proven that quadcore processors result in better performance vs dualcore. Its a marketing scheme and a way for Android to compete with Android!
    Last edited by digtech; 01-03-13 at 01:03 PM.
    lnichols and missing_K-W like this.
    01-03-13 12:49 PM
    Yeah the unfair conditions of the test got ignored... Knew it.

*sigh*

All I want for Christmas, New Years and my birthday is hockey back, or Bettmans head on a platter. Whichever's easier...
    01-03-13 01:17 PM

lol this is a mobile device not a PC that you need to future proof and that said future proofing is in the RAM. that said you'll NEVER be able to use a smartphone the way PC are used it simply won't be possible to muti task the same way or to game the same way, even to code the same way. no matter what RIM or anyone says that smartphones will be used as a PC replacement, really the only way a smartphone will be used as a replacement is on a business side where e mails and presentations can be done, but hardcore gaming and data input, research, coding, designing is not really good to do on any mobile device.
    01-03-13 01:54 PM
    What really is pointless is people like you finding reasons to hate on RIM.
    "continued lack of utilizing the latest hardware" FYI this is a new platform and RIM has been more than competitive with specs ln QNX. Lets backtrack a bit. The Playbook had specs that were aruguably the best on the market when it launched, and it still sports great specs today (except the screen). Again why do they need to give you higher specs when the device has no real use for?

THE Z10 IS NOT A MID GRADE DEVICE!!! For one you do not know the true specs, but the rumors thus far is anything but mid grade.

You call the iPhone 5 High end? Well spec wise the Z10 has better.

IPhone 5 vs Z10
    321 ppi vs 356 ppi
    1136x960 vs 1280x768
    1.2ghz dual core vs 1.5ghz dual core
    1Gb RAM vs 2GB RAM
    8MP vs 8MP (rear facing camera)
    1.3MP vs 2MP (front facing camera)
    Note* both front and rear facing camera on bb10 shoots full 1080p HD
    Bluetooth 4.0
    4G LTE Radios

Im sure the z10 will be more than capable of handling everything thats thrown at it for the next two years or so. Its all about optimization. You'll see come january 30 z10 will be owning its quadcore counterparts...just like iphone 5 is already doing with dualcore and just like the Dev alphas have been doing with underclocked cpu. Blackberry is NOT in the spec race. It is not proven that quadcore processors result in better performance vs dualcore. Its a marketing scheme and a way for Android to compete with Android!
    Yeah these people that say it isn't a top of the line device or specs really have nothing to back it up. There are no new NextGen processors out that RIM isn't using. Qualcomm S4 is as high as it goes for an available, high volume chip, and the quad core version of it isn't practical to use in a high volume device right now. Qualcomm and other chip makers are having issues getting 28nm chips out in volumes, and bulk of Qualcomm's capacity is being used on the dual core S4 right now to meet bulk of the orders. TI can't get the OMAP 5430 to market, and this will be the only chip that could unseat the S4 for performance, and that is assuming that TI still brings it to market and puts effort into it. Even the lower end process used in the London, OMAP 4470, is reportedly better than the Quad Core Tegra 3's it competes against in the Cortex A9 realm. Tegra 4 won't be available until sometime in 2013. I really don't know what mythical hardware these hit and run "low spec" naysayers are comparing the device to as the Nexus 4 is a pricing anomaly (Google subsidized), and the fact that they can't make enough because the hardware used isn't in high enough volumes to support demand.

Sorry Spec Whores, RIM doesn't have a worm hole to the future that allows them to bring back chips that aren't available in volume today!
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-03-13 02:01 PM
    LOL. It is always amusing to watch some get totally worked up......when the person that usually made the incendiary comment(s) has moved on after getting the desired response. Members have been jerking each others' chain for quite some time on here. Really. It's not that heavy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-03-13 02:54 PM
    I'm disappointed that they didn't add a battery with 1.21 jiggawatts of power. RIM really needs to Back to the Future-proof these phones.
    Blacklatino and lnichols like this.
    01-03-13 03:10 PM
79 1234