you can say otherwise but the truth is it is pretty smooth, it is pretty fast, sure there were some hiccups with iOS6 and there may be some issues running the newer OSes on older devices but the OS itself has features that require more power which the more dated iPhones don't have, mainly the extra RAM, and frankly thats expected as the latest and greatest OSes are built mroe for the current models then the past dated ones, but alteast they still work, unlike the BBOSs or Android devices

You're sugar coating it a bit. Basic functions on a last generation iPod Touch are absolutely miserable. I'm not talking about new features. It's basically functionality like pressing a button and waiting 5 seconds for the app to respond. Like swiping and having the device stall for several seconds.

Apple products are typically buttery smooth on the latest hardware. But if you're on something near the bottom of the "supported" list, it's utterly miserable.

My 4S is slick on iOS 6. My iPod makes me want to shoot myself. My Macbook is slick on Mountain Lion. My old iMac was the worst computing experience I ever had running the same os.
    01-02-13 03:57 AM
    "Thorsten Heins said it himself: they're not in the specs race, they're in the user experience race". I dont expect this new operating system to be laggy, but in business things like this are said to distract the consumer from side by side comparisons when they know they are not equal.I think this will be a great phone, just expecting Rim to release a phone with the top specs isnt realistic.
    01-02-13 07:43 AM
    Do you need specs to feel better about yourself?

PlayBook is almost 2 years old and does not lag one bit.

Specs are only as high as the OS needs. BB10 doesn't need quad-core processor.
    Oh really? PlayBook OS itself might be fast but if you run almost any app on PlayBook be ready for lags (built-in browser, AppWorld, almost any apps like GeeReader etc.). In comparison with PM new iPad 4 is blazingly fast but even iOS lags sometimes, for example in AppStore. But compared to PlayBook OS, iOS (even on not up-to-date HW) is fast as ****.
    01-02-13 08:00 AM
    Oh really? PlayBook OS itself might be fast but if you run almost any app on PlayBook be ready for lags (built-in browser, AppWorld, almost any apps like GeeReader etc.). In comparison with PM new iPad 4 is blazingly fast but even iOS lags sometimes, for example in AppStore. But compared to PlayBook OS, iOS (even on not up-to-date HW) is fast as ****.

Yeah - I'm hoping that this gets resolved with BlackBerry 10. My theory (could be wrong) is that Adobe AIR is pretty slow from a performance perspective and most of the apps are written in AIR. Hoping that Cascades boosts that. It seems weird to have simple air apps slug and slosh along and then have video games on the PlayBook using the NDK show these high frame rates.
    01-02-13 08:07 AM
    I remember when my Bold 9000 came out it was cutting edge and had the newest and best of everything. This thing has a slow processor, bad resolution, size (depends on what you want), not enough memory. As for the camera, if like all the other BB cameras I have it will suck.

Why can't they get it right? How long have people been waiting on the next device from them? Forever. They can't just continue to put out year old spec devices anymore, they have been doing that for 5 years, and now they are going under.

Does no one there know they need to come back to market and beat or at least meet the competition in specs in their devices? I'm tired of laggy *** blackberries and this will be the same.

Can anyone on here agree with me? Or will I just be called a troll, even though I have a stack of blackberries in my closet over all the years.

BlackBerry Z10: AT&T LTE network compatibility approved | BGR
    What mythical device are you comparing the processor to? There is only one processor on the market better than dual core S4 that is reported to be going into the Z10, and that is the quad core S4. The dual core TI OMAP 5430 will probably be better, but it isn't available yet. How is 1280x720 processor on a 4.2" screen bad resolution? Only two phones with better ppi and those are the 1080 displays on the Droid DNA and Note2, which are much bigger screens. Size is subjective to the user and the iPhone has shown that there is plenty of demand for a screen that is SMALLER and lower PPI than the one that will be on the Z10. The camera we don't know about other than it will be 8MP, support "Time Warp" via software which would require a good camera sensor I would think to work properly.

I'm not sure how you can make the statement "I'm tired of laggy *** blackberries and this will be the same.". Have you been looking at the demos of the Dev Alpha devices on YouTube, or do you have a Dev Alpha to make an educated statement with? Everything being reported and shown shows that it is not laggy. How about wait for January 30th to see what the device has and does.
    Creaulx likes this.
    01-02-13 08:19 AM
    while I can appreciate not agreeing with their decisions, Mike and Jim can always say "made 19 billion dollar company from nothing" on their resume. do you have anything that compares? I dont.
    I fully respect the fact that they did well in the beginning, but the matter of the fact is they did not react well at all when the iPhone began a new era in smartphones, otherwise RIM would not be in the tricky situation that it's in at the moment. Having said that, at least they recognized that they needed to step down and let someone more competent take charge, even if it was a little late.
    01-02-13 08:25 AM
    I fully respect the fact that they did well in the beginning, but the matter of the fact is they did not react well at all when the iPhone began a new era in smartphones, otherwise RIM would not be in the tricky situation that it's in at the moment. Having said that, at least they recognized that they needed to step down and let someone more competent take charge, even if it was a little late.
    Sure, though in many respects, hindsight is 20-20.

RIM built its business by:

a) targeting businesses; and then leaking into the consumer space;
    b) getting mass distribution of devices by growing carrier relationships

When the iPhone came along, it was a disruptive force. It was an touch screen with a touch screen OS built from a computing platform for consumers vs. a longstanding enterprise oriented OS. Compounding the matter was the fact that the carrier relationships that cause RIM to have explosive growth also resulted in a brutally fragmented platform that made it hard to develop for BlackBerry internally and externally. Add in explosive growth to the mix and the ship was difficult to steer. Apple had to advantage of looking at the weaknesses in previous Smartphones and launching something completely new out of the gate. Palm, Microsoft and now RIM literally had to restart from scratch.

Yeah - there's legit complaints about the aging platform; about their ability to execute; about slowness to respond in certain areas.

But every time I see a "Mike and Jim were incompetent" post from the peanut gallery or in the media, all I can think is, "they made a nearly $20 billion dollar company. What have you ever done that compares?" No one can take away that achievement from them.
    01-02-13 08:35 AM
    Sure, though in many respects, hindsight is 20-20.

RIM built its business by:

a) targeting businesses; and then leaking into the consumer space;
    b) getting mass distribution of devices by growing carrier relationships

When the iPhone came along, it was a disruptive force. It was an touch screen with a touch screen OS built from a computing platform for consumers vs. a longstanding enterprise oriented OS. Compounding the matter was the fact that the carrier relationships that cause RIM to have explosive growth also resulted in a brutally fragmented platform that made it hard to develop for BlackBerry internally and externally. Add in explosive growth to the mix and the ship was difficult to steer. Apple had to advantage of looking at the weaknesses in previous Smartphones and launching something completely new out of the gate. Palm, Microsoft and now RIM literally had to restart from scratch.

Yeah - there's legit complaints about the aging platform; about their ability to execute; about slowness to respond in certain areas.

But every time I see a "Mike and Jim were incompetent" post from the peanut gallery or in the media, all I can think is, "they made a nearly $20 billion dollar company. What have you ever done that compares?" No one can take away that achievement from them.
    Granted, it is easy to talk about it now that everything has happened. But the iPhone first overtook RIM sales in late 2008. It took RIM an additional 3 years to even announce BB10. Seems like an awfully slow reaction to what had become a very clear threat. Mike and Jim were excellent at catering to the enterprise market, but in this day and age of consumer smartphones, it's time for someone new to lead RIM in my opinion - and it seems that even they agreed with me, seeing as they stepped down.
    01-02-13 08:48 AM
    while I can appreciate not agreeing with their decisions, Mike and Jim can always say "made 19 billion dollar company from nothing" on their resume. do you have anything that compares? I dont.
    I don't either. But I've never been kicked off a Board like Jim B has or sidelined like Mike L. That said I've never thought that BB was a high performance phone. BB10 and including PlayBook alongside are high performance in spec and OS. I'm very happy with the direction they have progressed to. My beef is the length of time to do it. Would have saved a lot of drama and people loosing a lot of money too.
    01-02-13 09:05 AM
    Yeah - I'm hoping that this gets resolved with BlackBerry 10. My theory (could be wrong) is that Adobe AIR is pretty slow from a performance perspective and most of the apps are written in AIR. Hoping that Cascades boosts that. It seems weird to have simple air apps slug and slosh along and then have video games on the PlayBook using the NDK show these high frame rates.
    this the Adobe AIR kills some of the apps for the playbook
    01-02-13 09:19 AM
    Its not running Android. BB10 was designed to take full advantage of multicores. Android and iOS came out in 2007 when the fastest processors were 1ghz single core (if i remember correctly)
    01-02-13 09:55 AM
    But the iPhone first overtook RIM sales in late 2008.
    Sort of. They had a blip, which Steve Jobs crowed about, then the sales fell back. The iPhone didn't really pull ahead until 2010.

It took RIM an additional 3 years to even announce BB10. Seems like an awfully slow reaction to what had become a very clear threat.
    Agree. My sense of it was that they thought they could make it work with their existing platform and tried that approach first. When they couldn't, they went acquiring - Torch, TAT, QNX to fill in the pieces.

Android and iOS came out in 2007 when the fastest processors were 1ghz single core (if i remember correctly)
    iPhone came out in June 2007. Android didn't really come out en-masse till 2010. The original iPhone was 412 MHZ as was the 3G and the 3GS was 600 mhz. Nothing was remotely close to 1 GHZ until the 2010 timeframe, If I remember right. The Android spec war caused an all around spec explosion.
    01-02-13 10:16 AM
    My 9900 is pretty lag free so I have no idea what you're talking about there. The Z10 specs by BGR seemed identical to the S3 and better than the windows phones..so I'm not going to call you a troll but I might suggest I don't agree with your reality.
    Same here. My 9930 and my 9850 are smooth. Far as I am concerned rim more or less got on track hardware spec wise with the top end os 7 phones at the time of their release. Not cutting edge but very adequate. No reason to think the bb10 phones will have any issues in this respect.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-02-13 10:26 AM
    Sort of. They had a blip, which Steve Jobs crowed about, then the sales fell back. The iPhone didn't really pull ahead until 2010.

Agree. My sense of it was that they thought they could make it work with their existing platform and tried that approach first. When they couldn't, they went acquiring - Torch, TAT, QNX to fill in the pieces.

iPhone came out in June 2007. Android didn't really come out en-masse till 2010. The original iPhone was 412 MHZ as was the 3G and the 3GS was 600 mhz. Nothing was remotely close to 1 GHZ until the 2010 timeframe, If I remember right. The Android spec war caused an all around spec explosion.
    truth the iphone didn't really take off till theiPhone4 came out maybe a little with the 3GS.

as well the OS is altered every new device release to make use of the different chipsets so to say iOS was coded for a 1GHz single core is poo, android is the same way although drivers have to be recoded for every android device released
    01-02-13 10:59 AM
    I have no problem with the Z10 specifications, as long as it is priced the same as other devices with similar hardware. Unless you think consumers are going to just pay more for the great Ecosystem that a BB has... oh wait there isn't an ecosystem. So why would a consumer choose a new BB Z10 again?

I know there are some people here that will be satisfied with these specs, and I'm sure the OS will run just fine with these specs. I'm sure many on CB will have no problem paying for the BB10 experience (not paying for the hardware that's for sure). But out there in the REAL WORLD, I'm not so sure those people are going to do those things. It's their hands that RIM needs to get these phones into, not the hardcore fans that will buy anything they make. Competitive pricing is going to be KEY to a BB comeback, let's hope that when they announce BB10 at the end of the month that it is better than what has been leaking.
    01-02-13 11:25 AM
    truth the iphone didn't really take off till theiPhone4 came out maybe a little with the 3GS.
    Yeah - the 4 was where I saw them absolutely everywhere. People loved that design. To give Apple credit too, they did a good job filling in the missing pieces quite quickly.

so to say iOS was coded for a 1GHz single core is poo
    Wasn't implying anything about the OS. Only saying that there weren't 1 GHZ phones in 2007. :-)
    01-02-13 12:01 PM
    I remember when my Bold 9000 came out it was cutting edge and had the newest and best of everything. This thing has a slow processor, bad resolution, size (depends on what you want), not enough memory. As for the camera, if like all the other BB cameras I have it will suck.

Why can't they get it right? How long have people been waiting on the next device from them? Forever. They can't just continue to put out year old spec devices anymore, they have been doing that for 5 years, and now they are going under.

Does no one there know they need to come back to market and beat or at least meet the competition in specs in their devices? I'm tired of laggy *** blackberries and this will be the same.

Can anyone on here agree with me? Or will I just be called a troll, even though I have a stack of blackberries in my closet over all the years.

BlackBerry Z10: AT&T LTE network compatibility approved | BGR
    Well, you won't be the first with a stack of BlackBerries to be called a troll. BTW, you're not a troll.....are you? (jk) But, I do understand the reasoning for your concern and none of us want "more of the same" when we can have better. Personally, I believe we are there. Also, the BOLD was the next level of BlackBerry......and could have had better specs- even then. Still love my BOLD and had planned on waiting for the 9900. Got tired of waiting and went with the 9700(mini BOLD) and the 9800 and 9810 series. I have come to the conclusion that after all of the BlackBerries I have owned, I have to be willing to either except what has been produced as the best "BlackBerry" that works for me or be willing to either use devices on other platforms (I have iPhones and a SGlll as well), or simply move on to another device. See, it's easy for me and others to have very subjective opinions about BlackBerries after owning and utilizing other devices. LOL. My allegiance is to whatever works for me at the time- whether it's the newest or the best. But, I am willing to go back to my original dance partner- BlackBerry. The verdict for me will be once I try the new BlackBerries out. The ish-talking and overrated critics posting comments are just that and nothing more. Some on point and others predicting SOS....RIM is doomed.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-02-13 12:38 PM
    Just watch this

01-02-13 12:43 PM
    Yeah - the 4 was where I saw them absolutely everywhere. People loved that design. To give Apple credit too, they did a good job filling in the missing pieces quite quickly.

no i know you didn't say that but it was quoted my bad if you though i meant you said it

Wasn't implying anything about the OS. Only saying that there weren't 1 GHZ phones in 2007. :-)
    01-02-13 01:40 PM
    all i can go by is the experience ive had. my iphone 4 is laggy as **** right now... playbook isnt.
    01-02-13 01:41 PM
    Just watch this

thats pretty impressive, its not only the playbook that loads 30% faster then the ipad with same specs its also a dev alpha with meh specs beating a SGSIII

edit: apparently the tested SGSIII was the international quadcore version even more
    Last edited by GTiLeo; 01-02-13 at 02:05 PM.
    01-02-13 01:49 PM
    I know all about BB using less data and needs less cpu speed to run as smooth and efficient BUT......I heard that when I bought my Torch ( a laggy piece of junk) and my next torch 2 with the updated os, then the 9900 with the newer os.

If everyone keeps saying specs have nothing to do with smoothness and lagging then all my frustration has to go to the software guys, right? Well then they suck. I actually let my dog have my Torch to play with I hated it so much and the newer one wasn't really better.

All I want is a BB with smoothness.
    With simple, modest expectations like this, I can almost guarantee that it won't matter how well BB10 performs, the first time it has to think for a second, be it for cellular traffic, app overload, web issues, etc., some people will claim it a failure...

But for goodness sakes, at least wait for that to actually happen...
    01-02-13 02:43 PM
    Same here. My 9930 and my 9850 are smooth. Far as I am concerned rim more or less got on track hardware spec wise with the top end os 7 phones at the time of their release. Not cutting edge but very adequate. No reason to think the bb10 phones will have any issues in this respect.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    Same for my Bold 9900. Everyone should also keep in mind: OS7.x is based on an old operating system. A system which has been already pushed over its own limits. Actually BB10 should've been released instead of OS7. But well, we all know that didn't happen. BB10 is written completely from scratch, Thorsten Heins himself said there is not a single line of code from the current OS range in BB10. Not a single line. So we are looking at a complete new and fresh system.
    After all I think it is pretty amazing what RIM is still squeezing out of OS7.1, especially since the newer firmware releases. The current and past Blackberry OS is in a similar situation like Symbian: An outdated system base which simply is not enough to compete with the rather new competition we have today on the market. Same fate also happened to Windows Mobile, by the way.
    01-02-13 02:53 PM
    With simple, modest expectations like this, I can almost guarantee that it won't matter how well BB10 performs, the first time it has to think for a second, be it for cellular traffic, app overload, web issues, etc., some people will claim it a failure...

But for goodness sakes, at least wait for that to actually happen...
    Thank you. I see no reason to proclaim it dead in the water by some. Too soon for worry or praise IMO.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-02-13 03:22 PM

thats pretty impressive, its not only the playbook that loads 30% faster then the ipad with same specs its also a dev alpha with meh specs beating a SGSIII

edit: apparently the tested SGSIII was the international quadcore version even more
    I would have been surprised if the upcoming BB10 device "didn't" beat out the SGIII or the iPhone V. I'll also expect the next available device (during/after the impending launch) to do the same. The video is impressive- depending on if your for/against BlackBerry. I'll do my own test when I get mine. But, my SGlll still rocks and I'm good either way.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-02-13 03:26 PM
79 1234