I remember when my Bold 9000 came out it was cutting edge and had the newest and best of everything. This thing has a slow processor, bad resolution, size (depends on what you want), not enough memory. As for the camera, if like all the other BB cameras I have it will suck.

Why can't they get it right? How long have people been waiting on the next device from them? Forever. They can't just continue to put out year old spec devices anymore, they have been doing that for 5 years, and now they are going under.

Does no one there know they need to come back to market and beat or at least meet the competition in specs in their devices? I'm tired of laggy *** blackberries and this will be the same.

Can anyone on here agree with me? Or will I just be called a troll, even though I have a stack of blackberries in my closet over all the years.
    01-01-13 09:38 PM
    Uhm... no. Not at all. Allow me to try and explain this rationally:

The spec race has been popularized by Android for two reasons: for one, the OS consumes a fair bit of resources (relatively-speaking), and the manufacturers need a good way of differentiating each other seeing as they're all on the exact same OS. But even that put aside, specs cannot be compared between BB10 and Android for one very, very good reason: BB10 is not Android, at all. It uses an entirely different type of kernel, which in theory should be significantly more efficient. As a result, BB10 does not have to have cutting-edge specs in order to remain silky-smooth like the competition.

Thorsten Heins said it himself: they're not in the specs race, they're in the user experience race. Just like Apple, who don't even bother advertising the exact specs of their CPUs - they just call them "A6" or "A5" and what not. And I don't think anyone can say Apple has been doing poorly by any measure.
    01-01-13 09:48 PM
    I almost guarantee that you will be called a troll at some point during this thread's life, but not by me.

The new devices will not be like your old devices. They will be fast, buttery smooth and make former devices look like feature phones. What people like you need to learn is that specs are not the end all, be all when it comes to performance. Learn to code something and you'll learn this very quickly. With the new devices and an OS designed with expansion in mind, this should feel like a much more complicated,eternal platform than anything RIM has released in the last 5 years.

Don't look at just specs, for instance, look at the iPhone. It doesn't have specs anywhere near the newer Samsung devices, but with a well designed OS, it's user friendly and has a great experience. It's all in the coding and design, not the hardware.

Now, I don't disagree that specs sell, especially in a market where all phones and OS's are starting to feel similar. Hopefully BB10 will be different enough to carve it's own path in the mobile computing jungle.
    01-01-13 09:49 PM
    Do you need specs to feel better about yourself?

PlayBook is almost 2 years old and does not lag one bit.

Specs are only as high as the OS needs. BB10 doesn't need quad-core processor.
    01-01-13 09:50 PM
    I would add that my Galaxy S3 with so called cutting edge specs is far from silky smooth. The battery is also terrible.
    deezy87 and chm985 like this.
    01-01-13 09:51 PM
    I know all about BB using less data and needs less cpu speed to run as smooth and efficient BUT......I heard that when I bought my Torch ( a laggy piece of junk) and my next torch 2 with the updated os, then the 9900 with the newer os.

If everyone keeps saying specs have nothing to do with smoothness and lagging then all my frustration has to go to the software guys, right? Well then they suck. I actually let my dog have my Torch to play with I hated it so much and the newer one wasn't really better.

All I want is a BB with smoothness.
    01-01-13 09:57 PM
    BBOS did suck however, from a software efficiency point-of-view. BlackBerry 10 is entirely different, and it will deliver that smoothness you want. You don't even have to take our word for it - try it yourself when it launches.
    01-01-13 10:05 PM
    Watch the Demos of the Dev Alphas' and then make a comment. They hardly have Any lag. Everything before BB10 is just a memory and some poor mistakes. It's 2013 Now and RIM is turning things around the right way. You'll see January 30th!
    01-01-13 10:09 PM
    I suspect the Z10 will do better than your previous 9800, mainly, because it has better specs. Don't believe the "specs don't matter" nonsense. If they didn't, why bother to upgrade specs at all? Why not just use the same processor and same memory that's in the 9810 or 9900, instead they went with a dual core and people here are drooling over the upcoming "Aristo" that's supposed to have a quad core processor. Apple cares a lot about specs too, they just don't give you the numbers. They come out and tell you things like "2X faster CPU," and "2X faster graphics," which basically means they upped the specs quite a bit.

Look at the detailed specs Apple brags about for their camera:

And how much faster the apps run:
    01-01-13 10:10 PM
    I suspect the Z10 will do better than your previous 9800, mainly, because it has better specs. Don't believe the "specs don't matter" nonsense. If they didn't, why bother to upgrade specs at all? Why not just use the same processor and same memory that's in the 9810 or 9900, instead they went with a dual core and people here are drooling over the upcoming "Aristo" that's supposed to have a quad core processor. Apple cares a lot about specs too, they just don't give you the numbers. They come out and tell you things like "2X faster CPU," and "2X faster graphics," which basically means they upped the specs quite a bit.

http://im.tech2.in.com/gallery/2012/...08_640x360.jpg

Look at the detailed specs Apple brags about for their camera:
    http://im.tech2.in.com/gallery/2012/...56_640x360.jpg

And how much faster the apps run:
    http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-co.../A6-faster.jpg
    No one is saying the specs don't matter.. we're saying rim isn't in the spec race.. of course the specs of the 9810 or 9900 aren't good enough for the new devices, more power was needed and it's being given, however there's a curve to that progression, better specs then the old devices, tailored to the needs of the new OS make it a smooth and satisfying user experience.. but going past that level by too much results in excess specs which can actually reduce the user experience by reducing battery life, and increasing cost. Android manufacturers have no choice but to release devices with higher and higher specs for a few reasons.. one, as was mentioned to differentiate their new device over other android manufacturers, but also because they have no control over development of the OS or it's upgrades, so they don't really know what they need, just pack more in their hopping their device runs android the best. Apple (and I can't believe I'm siding with them..) does this right.. they develop their own OS, and their own devices pairing them for the experience they want to deliver.. RIM is doing the same thing.. of course specs matter, but bigger isn't always better.
    01-01-13 10:25 PM
    I know all about BB using less data and needs less cpu speed to run as smooth and efficient BUT......I heard that when I bought my Torch ( a laggy piece of junk) and my next torch 2 with the updated os, then the 9900 with the newer os.

If everyone keeps saying specs have nothing to do with smoothness and lagging then all my frustration has to go to the software guys, right? Well then they suck. I actually let my dog have my Torch to play with I hated it so much and the newer one wasn't really better.

All I want is a BB with smoothness.
    My 9900 is pretty lag free so I have no idea what you're talking about there. The Z10 specs by BGR seemed identical to the S3 and better than the windows phones..so I'm not going to call you a troll but I might suggest I don't agree with your reality.
    01-01-13 10:40 PM
    I will try the Z10 out and load a bunch of stuff and see what happens

but think about this....Apple was zero in the phone business 5.5 years ago, they have had 6 models I think now that have come out, so for 5.5 years and 6 models RIMM is just now deciding to put out a phone that competes on the same level? Man what took them so long. I know they tried that Storm surepress stuff, that didn't work.

All I can hope is this new BB10 works and then they will make a great querty model since I miss my keyboard.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    01-01-13 10:46 PM

but think about this....Apple was zero in the phone business 5.5 years ago, they have had 6 models I think now that have come out, so for 5.5 years and 6 models RIMM is just now deciding to put out a phone that competes on the same level? Man what took them so long. I know they tried that Storm surepress stuff, that didn't work.

All I can hope is this new BB10 works and then they will make a great querty model since I miss my keyboard.
    They were plagued by awful management that was ignorant of where the market was going. But now they have Thorsten Heins at the helm, and he really seems to know how to bring RIM back as a powerful competitor.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-01-13 11:04 PM
    You are bickering at a product that is not even out yet. If it does indeed run slow (which I'm confident it wont) then I will be the first one back here in this thread talking crap. Meanwhile, relax and enjoy the ride for the next 20 something days because as of now no one really knows how it will run with it's "outdated" specs.

EDIT:

Wait, bad resolution and and not enough memory? Are you speaking of the BB10 ?
    01-01-13 11:31 PM
    I seem to see people complaining about laggy unsmooth performance on their BB, old and new, yet even before I discovered hybrids I didn't have lag, I just had no memory and terrible battery life, those are the two things I've gained with a hybrid.

While it's unfortunate that RIM didn't release OSes that were optimized for the device, they have realized the mistake and are rectifying it(hopefully) with BB10.

As much as I dislike Apple, I must agree that while their specs are sub-par when compared to the android "superphones" they still get the job done, and have quite a fanbase, not entirely sure why people always get the new ones, as the old ones still work. Well, I mean I wouldn't buy the 5, if I could get the 4/s, there are people around with them and I didn't know it was a 5 because it spends its life in a case.

Another thing is why do people care so much how the naked device looks, okay, if you're one of the few that won't have their(assumed) fragile glass-front device in a case I understand, but most people will have their device encased in a fairly thick case, with a screen protector. Maybe even go so far as having a ZAGG full body skin under their OtterBox or case of choice for those occasions when they don't want the added bulk. I'll be grabbing a ZAGG invisibleshield for my L-Series(I refuse to call it the Z10 until it's confirmed) or N-Series. Whichever I try. And that will be largely based on the User Experience of the touchscreen device + the accuracy of the keyboard.

Edit: wow. Okay I went a bit ranty here. The longest post I've ever typed on CrackBerry. From my 9700 on Opera Mini running OS5 no less. Guess this is what happens when you're up at 2:24:03 AM and post. Oh yeah, I hope they keep lt/ld/myver/mypin
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-01-13 11:52 PM
    Please don't even compare your experience on BBOS with the new BB10. It's a completely different platform with a completely different architecture. On BBOS, even if you three quad-core at it, it'll still suck. The Z10 spec's is pretty close to top of the line (other than the processor when compared to the new quad-core monsters), and if it does come with 2Gb RAM, it'll be silky smooth. The biggest problem on the PlayBook is the 1Gb Ram not being enough, and 2Gb should be more than enough for all the multi-tasking goodness.
    01-01-13 11:54 PM

This post is inaccurate and off to be honest.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-02-13 12:07 AM
    BB10 takes advantage of multi-threading and SMP. Multiple processes can execute at the same time. Microkernel vs Monolithic. Dual core BB10 should in most instances trump Android performance.

I believe BB10 with quad core will have a compounding effect do to multi-threading and SMP. IMHO, BB10 with quad core will give relative performance to 8 cores on competing OS's. Gonna be some fast computing coming from RIM!
    TomJasper likes this.
    01-02-13 01:06 AM
    you have to remember two things.

1) Specs need to be considered WITH the OS and all around experience

2) This is the first device and not the 'high-end' one

with that said, QNX/BB 10 runs very well with little 'specs' needed. it is very efficient and i dont see a problem with the specs of the current phones.
    T-Raww and jakie55 like this.
    01-02-13 01:09 AM

you know it wasn't untill the iPhone4 came out that the iPhones specs surpaced a BBs specs

iPhone 3GS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    BlackBerry Bold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

what made the iphone good and what still makes it as fast as it is, is the OS, iOS is smooth and quick the iphone5 is only 1.2ghz dual core with 1gb of ram, in a number race it is behind and has been behind since the LTE and skyrocket galaxy S-II.

the OS on a mobile device does a lot more then more power it allows for longer battery life with equal speed if not better, which is why iphones have been where they are and one reason Android devices need to hammer out the specs to compete pace wise
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-02-13 01:43 AM
    not really sure about calling iOS smooth ...
    01-02-13 01:45 AM
    This again.

Your request for a "lag free" BlackBerry is what the goal of RIM should be, not matching the latest high end specs for the sake of having the latest high end specs. Ask most Nexus 7 owners to demonstrate an app that makes fantastic use of its quad core processor ans you'll hear crickets chirp.

Specs are important to the end that they can deliver a good, slick lag free experience. Like you, I had a laggy experience on the first Torch out of the box. I had a worse experience with my last gen iPod touch running iOS 6. My 9900 was quite slick out of the box but it began to slow down when apps were put on it en masse.

The PlayBook has been solid, though the air apps can sometimes be sluggish vs. native apps. at least for me.
    01-02-13 01:46 AM
    They were plagued by awful management that was ignorant
    while I can appreciate not agreeing with their decisions, Mike and Jim can always say "made 19 billion dollar company from nothing" on their resume. do you have anything that compares? I dont.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 01-02-13 at 03:51 AM.
    just_luc and Cesare21 like this.
    01-02-13 01:50 AM

You can also say that RIM came out with a smartphone 13 years ago, and it took apple (or microsoft or samsung or htc or nokia or lg.....) 8-9 years to come up with something comparable.

Rim made mistakes by not realizing the market shift until it was too late....but you can't keep banging the same drum 4 years down line. They looked at thier past mistakes and worked to eliminate them. Now we're 4 weeks away from launch. If the Z10 is laggy and not comparable to what the competition offers, than by all means rag on them. But atleast wait till they show off the fruits of their labour to judge them on past mistakes.

Also, you clearly have not checked out any BB10 demo's or read about BB10 on any tech blog it seems. Watch any bb10 video out there and try to find the OS lagging. You'll be hard pressed to find 5 instances where the (beta) OS lagged. or stuttered. Any by all accounts (of independent bloggers) the OS is buttery smooth despite being unfinished.

Go around and check out some reviews, you'll see that RIM has turned itself around.
    01-02-13 01:59 AM
    not really sure about calling iOS smooth ...
    you can say otherwise but the truth is it is pretty smooth, it is pretty fast, sure there were some hiccups with iOS6 and there may be some issues running the newer OSes on older devices but the OS itself has features that require more power which the more dated iPhones don't have, mainly the extra RAM, and frankly thats expected as the latest and greatest OSes are built mroe for the current models then the past dated ones, but alteast they still work, unlike the BBOSs or Android devices
    jakie55 and aminrajabi like this.
    01-02-13 02:06 AM
79 123 ...