Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Double_J75
  • 2 Post By Kevin Michaluk
  • 1 Post By advil_yum
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Songza vs slacker vs BBM music

Coming from my 9900 I used BBM music every day. I absolutely loved the ability to build my own playlists, store the content on my phone so I didn't need to stream music while away from my wifi, and finally the social aspect was great. I've just downloaded songza and slacker.

I'm still new in to both of these apps so I haven't figured them out. At a first glance I'm not seeing the same features as BBM music. With that said am I missing something or can you guys suggest another app that will meet all those needs?
    Thanked by:
    spike12 (02-14-2013) 
    spike12 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Oh I had almost 14,000 songs on BBM music so downloading them and paying. 99 cents is not an option I'm willing to do.
    CrackBerry Founder

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...

Great thread topic. I'm passionate on this subject.

I think what you like best will depend on each individual. For me, it's Songza hands down.

I love good music. I don't have time to discover new music or hunt it down. But I know it when I hear it. And I like all types of music, but often want to hear music bases on the mood I am in or what I am doing.

With Songza you have curated music lists. And there are tons of them. And they're awesome. During the work day I'll put on work play lists with no lyrics so I don't get distracted. Indie dance hits is great when you have friends over for drinks. 90s jock jams for the good old days.

And once you hit play, you just forget about it and listen.

To me the best part of BBM music was finding people who had good play lists. Otherwise you spent a lot of time in the app looking for music instead of just listening to music. Slacker is good, but I don't want to skip songs I don't like. I just want every song to be good. Songza nails it.

Seriously, between Sonos speakers and Songza for music, my life is changed. Listen to way more music, way more good music, and LOVE it. And it takes no time on my part. Which I love even more.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    Thanked by:
    spike12 (02-14-2013) 
    adjdudley21 and spike12 like this.
    CrackBerry Founder

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...

I should add though... I'm pretty much always able to stream. If offline viewing is the goal, then my love for Songza does fall short.

Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, CrackBerry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Awesome post Double. J I'm going to miss the social aspect of bbmm but maybe I'll try out songza. Can u follow people's play lists on there?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,102 Global Posts
    PIN
    2ad71a16

For me in the UK Spotify is the best solution, stream or offline. Share friends play lists, recommendations and a great range of genres.
    The BlackBerry App was always lacking compared to the Droid and iOS versions, so I'm hoping when it finally arrives for BB10 that it will be on par.

9.99 a month is worth it
    Currently using Deezer as Spotify isn't playing ball.

Snazy aka Michael
    'Blackberry MythBuster'
    8320 - 8520 - 9700 - 9900 - Z10 - Q10

Follow my blog here.
    CrackBerry Founder

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...

You can favorite play lists you like on Songza.

Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, CrackBerry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

It WAS BBMMusic for me all the way. Really disappointed that BB is not bringing it to BB10. I think they should rethink.
    CrackBerry Founder

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...

Also, 14000 posts on BBM music is dope.

Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, CrackBerry.com
    CrackBerry User

I also adore BBM Music and so far after upgrading to the Z10, I have found my music fix from Songza. Like Kevin I am starting to enjoy playing music based on moods. This is convenient as playlists are already done up for you. It is also great for discovering new music so totally agree on that. The only drawback for me with Songza that BBMM had is the ability to get new music asap. I love to be able to listen to what's current and then drop and replace it when I start to get bored with the tune.

CrackBerry Newbie

Kevin can you start a petition to bring BBM Music to BlackBerry 10. This service i so amazing and unique.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Is Songza available in the UK?
    BlackBerry since 2008
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/matthewcsutton
    Bold 9000 -> (phone so bad I can't remember it...) -> Torch 9800 -> Z10.
    PlayBook 16gb wifi

Global Posts
    6,542 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

I'm an avid user of both Slacker and BBM Music at this point (have paid subs on both, as well as two Sirius units). I like the notion of Songza (curated playlists to suit specific moods), but I haven't really used it much yet.

Slacker has some remarkably good channels, and I like getting ABC News every hour. I like the ability to build custom channels, too. That they've always supported BB and have released a pretty decent (if not full-featured yet) BB10 client makes me pretty happy.

BBM Music? I have a feeling it isn't quite what was originally envisioned. What I suspect the original notion was, ran something along the line of someone thinking "wouldn't it be fantastic if I could share my music with my BBM buddies?" It's not quite working that way, becoming a distinct network in its own right, though you can invite BBM Music friends to BBM, too. BBMM looks kind of goofy on paper; that you can keep only 50 songs in a library seems really limited. As well, you only get to swap only half of those songs out each month. If you just focus on that, though, you miss the social aspect. I have maybe 100 BBMM buddies, and they represent a huge variety of music. I'm finding it's a lot of fun just to shuffle "Recently Added" on everybody's collections. I hear stuff on BBMM that I wouldn't have likely heard on any of the other music vectors I tune into.
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

--Mark Twain

Global Posts
    6,542 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by cleerox View Post
    Kevin can you start a petition to bring BBM Music to BlackBerry 10. This service i so amazing and unique.
    I strongly suspect that we'll see it shortly.
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

--Mark Twain
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    280BF90E

its bbm music and songza for me.. songza is for when i would like to hear a specific set of music ... like kevin said, when i'm in a certain mood.. songza is spot on, never had to skip a track, maybe 2 or 3 times but compared to the hours ii spend on songza thats amazing... i love bbm music when i am feeling a bit more adventurous and what to just stream all kinds of music...
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by cleerox View Post
    I second this!

Also, the social integration on BBMM is amazing! Found a lot of bbm buddies from here. BlackBerry lovers who also love music, it's such a win!!

CrackBerry User

Songza has a serious revenue problem. It's a free service and has no radio ads (great for the consumer!), but how is it going to survive and make money? surely not from web ad click through's.... It's not that I worry about this at all.... but as we sit and enjoy the music, how is the artist getting paid? Fractions of a penny (RIP) per song, maybe? It's something that I ponder often as I get older. I'm more often feeling guilty about free-loading and I feel that free streaming radio is a very small fraction above free-loading, IMO. After all, without the artists and music we love, NONE of this is even possible. (some may argue it's more about the music labels, but that's another issue).
    Apparently Songza will be analyzing your "listening patterns" with the hope to sell that data to advertisers or marketers. I have big doubts that this will cover their costs, and I hate how they're taking the Facebook and Google approach to monetizing users' patterns, or trying to. But they haven't fully come out yet on how they plan on making money off of user data.

Anyway, putting the philosophical debate aside, as a user how could you not like the service (if they are in fact serving up music that you enjoy)?
    ps: I haven't used (paid or otherwise) any of the services other than BBMM, but songza has piqued my interest for sure. I used BBMM during the 3-month free trial and I really enjoyed the new music discovery that it offered.
    bert106 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

My issue with Songza is that it requires application permissions to my files. Sorry, for a streaming music service, this is an automatic "Decline" for me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Living in Austria (with not option for BBMusic [sad panda face]) I was kinda hoping BlackBerry would bring their service globally with BB10.
    I am afraid there will not even be the video/music section in BBWorld for us here. Songza keeps me happy on my PB right now.
    Probably going to keep using it on a Z10 as soon as it'll be available in our little country here.
    hurry up, we're dreaming!
    CrackBerry Abuser

living in the UK I'm waiting for spotify to get their finger out and admit bb10 is here and not going away lol
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,102 Global Posts
    PIN
    2ad71a16

Quote Originally Posted by tubbyandtattooed View Post
    living in the UK I'm waiting for spotify to get their finger out and admit bb10 is here and not going away lol
    Same ere lol.

Come on Spotify, look at all the tenners you are losing.

Snazy aka Michael
    'Blackberry MythBuster'
    8320 - 8520 - 9700 - 9900 - Z10 - Q10

Follow my blog here.
    CrackBerry User

Trying out Songza for the first time after reading this thread. It looks exactly like what I want out of a music service.

I am a BBMM subscriber and actually have the OP on my BBM Music contacts list. It sucks losing people because they are upgrading on the current platform. For a service that is entirely based on a social network it should have been a major priority to have this on BB10 at release. It can be hard enough to find good contacts let alone having to rediscover them when they come back.

It's a great service, but I have a feeling due to the initial perception of limited music and difficulty in finding contacts I find it a tough sell to most of my real BBM friends.

Semi off note:
    Does anyone know the file type and bitrate for BBM Music? I would think using QNX Codecs would be a good move, but not sure if they are designed for music compression.