I dunno why, but lately, RAM usage has been relatively sky high on my Z10. I have only two Android apps (Clean Master and Candy Crush), Snap sideloaded, and I just deleted a few prior to posting this. I'm suspecting Clean Master's causing it since CCS never caused me RAM troubles. I'm on an STL-3 on 10.2.1.2179.

Something Eating up the RAM...-img_20140514_222144.png

Here's what Clean Master does: gets rid of junk files, boost memory for games, and scans for viruses. Being an Android app, though, I think it wouldn't do much...

Something Eating up the RAM...-img_20140514_223131.png

If anyone can help, that'd be great!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 09:33 PM
    What is the particular problem? Does something not run or run poorly?

I don't know much about ram usage but the values are not much different than the ones I see. Let's see what others suggest.
    05-15-14 12:16 AM
    I've noted with at least some recent builds of OS 10.2.1 (using 10.2.1.2228 here), base memory usage seems higher than earlier builds.

This does not automatically mean that you have less memory to run applications, it could simply be that the OS is being more aggressive about allocating more of that formerly "free" memory to useful functions like caching, and may release that memory right away if an application or applications request it. (ie when you launch something)

So it's hard to say if that has any real-world impact on usage or not. In fact it may improve the usability of the device if you have data requests fulfilled from the faster RAM cache than from the much slower access from NAND storage.

As per my usual mantra, I just wish the company did a better job of documenting changes like this and explaining them.
    05-15-14 01:32 AM
    What is the particular problem? Does something not run or run poorly?

I don't know much about ram usage but the values are not much different than the ones I see. Let's see what others suggest.
    As far as I can tell, everything runs smoothly, even the two Android apps. The two apps start up a bit slow, but that's a bit of a given.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 06:36 AM
    I've noted with at least some recent builds of OS 10.2.1 (using 10.2.1.2228 here), base memory usage seems higher than earlier builds.

This does not automatically mean that you have less memory to run applications, it could simply be that the OS is being more aggressive about allocating more of that formerly "free" memory to useful functions like caching, and may release that memory right away if an application or applications request it. (ie when you launch something)

So it's hard to say if that has any real-world impact on usage or not. In fact it may improve the usability of the device if you have data requests fulfilled from the faster RAM cache than from the much slower access from NAND storage.

As per my usual mantra, I just wish the company did a better job of documenting changes like this and explaining them.
    Yeah. :/ The RAM usage caught my attention when I noticed my battery draining a bit faster. BUT my phone does NOT feel hot to touch, really; It feels like it usually does. Honestly, I'm a bit frustrated that BlackBerry isn't explaining this small oddity...

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 06:40 AM
    im at 1.12GB
    05-15-14 06:45 AM