Just got the Z10 two weeks back and love it.
    However something is using up all my data and more.
    I used to use about 2-500 MB month on the 9800.
    Now I am past 3GB.
    The weird thing is that 95% of the time I am connected to Wi-Fi.
    I am on Bell and what I see in the usage list, is a few seconds of activity them immediately after, from 1 to 6 hours, of constant usage with exactly 1 MB/minute (average) per session.
    This happens once or twice a day (or night) at random hours. And always while I am connected to the Wi-Fi.
    Anyone know what is going on?
    And no I am not streaming video, getting large attachments or browsing much at all.
    02-23-13 10:15 PM
    I had same issue ran through 2gb in two weeks. And it wasnt really even using it much.
    02-23-13 10:22 PM
    I see the same but on unlimited plan so not really an issue...but continuous data eats up my battery even on wifi. and the phone heats up.

Posted via CB10
    nyland likes this.
    02-23-13 10:24 PM
    Do you have a podcast app running? Or a least installed? on another thread a user said it was chewing through data at an alarming rate due to background downloads.

Check it out. My data usage although up from old OS is still reasonable. I do not have a podcast app loaded.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    nyland likes this.
    02-23-13 10:27 PM
    Sounds like an app problem. Is there a resource monitor built in? If there is, use it to troubleshoot
    02-23-13 10:28 PM
    I was surprised when I checked my data usage a couple of days ago. One day I had 3 successive data usage entries of 90MB and a couple of days before that, sporadic entries of about 70MB. In one week I had used over 500MB of data, whereas I had previously used between 30-50 MB/month with my iPhone 4. I'm surrounded by wifi but my home router will turn off from time to time in the middle of the night. And I sometimes lose my wifi signal momentarily depending on where I am at work. I noticed that both Box and Dropbox will sync files in the background and the switch to toggle the "use cellular network" was set to "ON". I have since turned that off (so syncing occurs only via wifi). In the last 3 days I've used about 10MB of data, including using the Maps App for ~3h. I'm not certain, but I think the data usage was due to the Box and Dropbox sync settings.
    nyland likes this.
    02-24-13 12:46 AM
    Here are the tips i've tried for iPad3 eating data:
    Shut down "LTE" for data as the extra speed eats more data. Turn on only when you need the extra speed, like peak periods during the day.
    Actually turn off cell data while on "wifi" connection to ensure "wifi" only.
    Ck email out box; picture attached emails get "stuck" in out box resending constantly using data repeatedly.
    Shut off GPS in settings to all Apps as this runs on data.
    Shut off games in settings as to multi players or score cards as this runs on data.
    "Sign out" of Apps on social media pages at all times as this runs data when not looking.
    Ensure "streaming" news apps are off until you need them, as some stream in the background.
    Ensure "Google" apps are not streaming; they seem to stream the most.
    Any app connected to "real time" & running in the back ground may be using data.
    "Reset" the "connection" settings when going to "wifi" to ensure LTE is off or vise versa. "Reset" works wonders if it is "sticky", for some reason.
    When upgrades become available it eats Hugh data on iOS6. "Reset" connections seems to help.
    Not sure if any of these apply to BB 10, yet these iOS6 issues eat data badly.
    Keep screen apps clean, the lessor the better, as many apps eat data without us knowing, as to settings we are choosing.
    Keep iCloud "off" unless you need it.
    Keep Bluetooth "off" unless you need it.
    Keep NFC off unless you are using it.
    Clan out "streaming" news pages/apps you are not using as many are running constantly.
    Do NOT use videos on data; use on "wifi". Video viewing and sending pictures eat data, as do movies, TV shows and games.
    Games seem to automatically run on data if connected in settings as to on line feeds. NOTE your settings.
    Certain apps eat data. FB is known as one. Use the www version, make icon to home screen, sign in/out always, solves the LTE data charges.
    YouTube eats data.
    Any APP connection to GPS is constantly eating data. SHUT OFF GPS (location) in all individual App settings.
    Take note of App settings, always.
    Get use to general "settings" so that you can easily turn on what you need when you need.
    EverNote is known to eat data.
    Google "data" issues to find other problem apps.
    Shut off GPS in Maps, turn on only when you need your location.
    LTE is faster, it heats the battery and reduces battery life by 2/3rds. LTE uses much more data, as to its "speed". Discover when to turn on LTE, and when to turn it off.
    I am NOT a TECKIE. I am novice learner as to data.
    Google "data" issues for more insights.
    02-24-13 01:53 AM
    Check email folder sync options. If all folders are syncing you are blowing through data as it syncs attachments on email.

I blew through1 gig in2 days due to this.

Posted via CB10
    nyland likes this.
    02-24-13 07:08 AM
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    There is enough info here that I should be able to nail it down and reduce the traffic. Still I am surprised that whatever syncing is going on, that it is not using the Wifi when available.
    02-24-13 10:24 AM
    02-26-13 09:14 AM
    My z10 also using too much data. Didn't have this problem with my earlier bold. Twice i have used up my monthly data allowance in 7 to 10 days and the carrier has charged me for data usage beyond that making my balance zero!! This is not the way it should work
    02-26-13 10:23 AM
    I don't know how LTE can use any more data than any other speed service, battery yes, data no. That's like saying going from an ISP at home that provides 1mb download to 20 mb download makes you use more. The only way it does is maybe you're doing more in less time cause you aren't waiting for things to load.

Is a 1mb file not still 1mb no matter what speed you received it at?
    02-26-13 10:32 AM
    same -- have also posted there as well.... i think there is a bug of some sort driving high level data usage.... but as a corporate Rogers user, there is no way to monitor data usage at all (either on the device itself or via Rogers... the rogers my account app doesn't work for business accounts).
    02-26-13 10:33 AM
    To OP: Are you on BES? There seems to be a problem there.
    See this thread, for example.
    02-26-13 10:34 AM
    what should the sync settings be set at or how do you turn them off
    02-26-13 10:50 AM
    I too have used 750MB in a week (previously going through 300MB in a month on ANdroid Nexus S)...

Blackberry really needs to provide a data usage function built in. Why couldn't they have just taken the best practice easy to implement features seen in Android (and maybe even iOS if it has any) and brought them to BB10?! Very frustrating... spoiling the Z10 experience because I'm constantly checking data usage due to my 1GB limit...

Checks:

- DropBox and Box sync over mobile network is OFF
    - Deezer music streaming use mobile network is OFF (I have only used the app once anyway which shouldn't account for more than 200MB data)
    - Download images automatically for Gmail and Exchange account is OFF - ***Though attachments still download automatically - yet another BB10 bug***
    02-26-13 10:54 AM
    Actually - it could be Evernote causing this but I don't see why/how as I only made a few new text notes - shouldn't need more than 10MB tops for these to sync
    02-26-13 11:00 AM
    Has to be a hogging app or setting somewhere.
    02-26-13 11:05 AM
    If i have to limit the usage so as to avoid too much data usage...whats the point of having this kind of a phone which can do SO MUCH!
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-26-13 11:11 AM
    Truly is odd, must but some application left open, or a setting that I don't have set; I'm with Bell as well, and I've only used 70Mb of data since the beginning of the month.
    02-26-13 11:41 AM
    Truly is odd, must but some application left open, or a setting that I don't have set; I'm with Bell as well, and I've only used 70Mb of data since the beginning of the month.
    Are you using Remember/Evernote? Do you have twitter/fb/linked in set up in the hub? how many email accounts do you have set up and what kind? are they downloading attachments automatically?
    02-26-13 11:43 AM
    To OP: Are you on BES? There seems to be a problem there.
    See this thread, for example.
    No - not on BES. Exchange 2003 active sync. Only account I have added and only running on a default installation. No apps downloaded - yet.
    02-26-13 02:08 PM
    Dropbox? I found that was always syncing and I had to change the settings to Wifi only
    02-26-13 02:12 PM
    Are you using Remember/Evernote? Do you have twitter/fb/linked in set up in the hub? how many email accounts do you have set up and what kind? are they downloading attachments automatically?
    Only a default installation on the Z10. One account only and no apps downloaded. I wiped my device when I saw this behavior, with the intent of just installing one app or account at a time until I would find the culprit. Fortunately the first account I installed was my work account which is Exchange 2003 with active sync (not BES). And as soon as I turn on data I use 1MB/min as long (or almost as long) as data is turned on and the battery gets warm and it drains quickly. On pure wifi I have no battery issue.
    02-26-13 02:16 PM
    Well, I've come to the right thread then.
    My data has spiked big time and luckily I'm able to get a daily detailed hourly usage report from Koodo.
    Interesting observation - my mobile data consumption spikes WAY UP when I'm on WIFI. How does 400MB in 2 hours sound?
    As soon as I leave wifi and go strictly 4G LTE, my consumption goes WAY DOWN.
    Why?
    Simple...I stop browsing and stop using youtube and all that good stuff.

For me, the million dollar question is why the devil doesn't my phone use the damn wifi when it's connected to wifi? Well, it DOES!
    There is a definite glitch here, connecting to wifi apparently does not protect me from simultaneously gorging on my mobile data. That's some multi-tasking going on.
    Anyways, a call to tech support at Koodo got me a "we don't believe you" response. I don't believe me either, but the numbers don't lie, my phone is sipping data all through the night while I sleep despite being on wifi. For now, the only way to stop it is to turn data off while on wifi, until a patch comes along.

No BES and no Evernote here. Just a normal consumer phone with a few email accounts, 5 BBM contacts and occasional facebook and twitter. Nothing special.
    02-26-13 06:48 PM
44 12