Hi everyone,

Just thought of sharing this piece of information with everyone. Basically I was annoyed with Blackberry Link not able to transfer my Contacts from 9900 to Z10. I am not sure if everyone faced/ will face this issue or maybe its me and few other CB members who did faced it for some reason but this is quite annoying. As always, CB users were kind enough to share their work out which was associating all contacts to one email and then adding that email to Z10. The best work out, which I just used and worked out absolutely fine and quick is that pairing your 9900 with Z10 through Bluetooth, then from Bluetooth menu of 9900 select Z10 and there will be an option to transfer contacts, once clicked, all contacts will be transferred to Z10.

Maybe many of you already knew this solution but purpose of posting this article is to deliver information and help those who, like me, are not clever enough to work it out on their own

Thanks
    Worked like a charm!! Thanks soo much...Now can anyone tell me how to get my calendar moved over from my 9810????
    02-05-13 08:20 PM
    Worked like a charm!! Thanks soo much...Now can anyone tell me how to get my calendar moved over from my 9810????
    Ok use Blackberry Desktop manager and back up all your data. Open Blackberry link. Connect your Z10. Click the settings wheel(beside the Question mark with a circle around it). Left side Restore data. Choose which data set and restore.

pasted this over from another thread I answered. I was stumped as well and work arounds were not an answer...lol
    CARSTECHY likes this.
    02-05-13 08:29 PM
    Ok use Blackberry Desktop manager and back up all your data. Open Blackberry link. Connect your Z10. Click the settings wheel(beside the Question mark with a circle around it). Left side Restore data. Choose which data set and restore.

pasted this over from another thread I answered. I was stumped as well and work arounds were not an answer...lol
    Tried that twice...still wouldn't move contacts or calendar stuff. I have my contacts moved now, but still have an empty calendar on my Z10
    02-05-13 08:35 PM
    Wife is having issues also. Used Link and everything gets transfered except for contacts and old calander entries.
    Its an old Torch on BB6
    02-05-13 08:42 PM
    Tried that twice...still wouldn't move contacts or calendar stuff. I have my contacts moved now, but still have an empty calendar on my Z10
    Your Calendar on your old device was linked to an email address. The calendar on the Z10 has its own local calendar, much like the playbook. Go to your calendar on your Z10. Swipe from the top, choose Manage, then make sure both the local and your restore calendar are checked. Hope this helps.
    02-05-13 09:08 PM
    Wife is having issues also. Used Link and everything gets transfered except for contacts and old calander entries.
    Its an old Torch on BB6
    Mine is the 9810 Torch.. no luck with contacts, bookmarks, email address set ups (other than gmail), nor calendar...
    02-05-13 09:11 PM
    Thank you so much i had tried all the tricks i could think of........totally forgot about bluetooth
    02-05-13 09:14 PM
    OK tried both Link and Bluetooth method and neither worked. Bluetooth transfered over 1 contact. Am I doing something wrong?

BTW transfering over from 9800, if that makes a difference.
    SJC1 likes this.
    02-05-13 09:22 PM
    3rd time is a charm. Contracts transferred through bluetooth...
    02-05-13 09:41 PM
    Mine says that all contacts were transfered via bluetooth but only 1 shows up???
    SJC1 likes this.
    02-05-13 10:48 PM
    wow thanks very much!! I was trying to figure how to do this for the longest time!
    02-05-13 11:17 PM
    Thanks. 291 contacts transferred over BT.
    02-06-13 12:54 AM
    the desktop link
    it worked amazingly for me
    it did transfer everything even my browser bookmarks
    02-06-13 01:19 AM
    still no go over here
    02-06-13 01:28 AM
    still no go over here
    clipskid I think you should use the long method of associating them with an email or exporting them to PC using BB desktop manager and then adding them to email through PC and then adding that email to your Z10. I wrote detailed procedure in this post couple of posts above, can you try that please? Or have you already tried it?
    02-06-13 01:35 AM
    I turned encryption off, synch'd with the blue tooth. Contacts were transferred over, but not all unfortunately. It was a good idea and may have worked for folks with minimal contacts. I'm over 200 in my BB9800 Torch.

Thanks for the post though!
    02-06-13 04:54 AM
    go to setting bluetooth click on new device hit transfer contacts worked fine for me ..but doesnt show up in contacts folder shows up in phone contacts
    02-06-13 05:17 AM
    I tried transferring my contact list a few different ways ( I wiped it and tried again because I wanted to see what the issue you guys were having).

First my email account is yahoo. Second I have been upgrading my device over the years and my last device was a 9900.

Once I put in my yahoo info, all my contacts came back. - For those that are having an issue - try setting up a yahoo account on your old device, and then on the new one.

I then wiped the phone and tried Desktop manager, and BB Link. Both programs failed to work.
    Next I tried BB Protect, and that failed to work. Looks like the new version is stripped down.
    Then I tried using Bluetooth. That worked for me. The sending device goes through it very quickly, but the receiving device takes a long *** time. I kept the z10 awake for the transfer and I did not confirm the contacts had been sent on the 9900 till after the z10 was done.

Mind you I only have 175 contacts but I was successful.
    02-06-13 05:59 AM
    I have a BB 9700 and tried to transfer contacts... Link didn't do it, and neither did the BT method. The BT method shows 736 entries transferred, but only one makes it over. I tried it 3 times so now I have 3 copies of that one contact :-)

How do you "associate" your contacts with an email address on the older BBs? My 9700 runs OS6.
    SJC1 likes this.
    02-06-13 06:07 AM
    First thing I did after purchasing the Z10 was download Link connect 9800 like it said to do and transfer files. It went through the process then connected Z10 and it uploaded the data. After it said disconnect I went to BBM put in Blackberry ID it updated all my contacts correctly. It put my old txt messages in by date properly. Even had my proper contacts names beside the txt as it should. Then I went to contacts and only the very first contact was there. Thats it. I spent all day Tuesday trying to transfer contacts. I paired using bluetooth it said sent phonebook.vcf no problem. Again just first contact. I have 381 contacts I must have switched over. If I can't get it working by tonight im returning the phone back to Futureshop. I was the first one in line to buy it at 10am Tuesday and ill be the first one returning it!!!
    SJC1 likes this.
    02-06-13 08:29 AM
    exact same problem. Ive bluetooth paired and sent ive used that crap crap blackberry link program. It wont transfer my contacts my email address and info or my calendar settings. Very unimpressed. If anyone figures this out other then having to open ANOTHER email account (gmail) just to transfer files please post
    SJC1 likes this.
    02-06-13 08:34 AM
    As always, CB users were kind enough to share their work out which was associating all contacts to one email and then adding that email to Z10. The best work out, which I just used and worked out absolutely fine and quick is that pairing your 9900 with Z10 through Bluetooth, then from Bluetooth menu of 9900 select Z10 and there will be an option to transfer contacts, once clicked, all contacts will be transferred to Z10.

Maybe many of you already knew this solution but purpose of posting this article is to deliver information and help those who, like me, are not clever enough to work it out on their own

Thanks
    This was an easy and best solution for me. Thank you for sharing this. I have tried send my entire list and only parts come over. It's a start, now I just have to figure out the rest...
    Cheers!

EDIT: Did a second sync and everything seems to be working out fine. Fingers crossed...
    Last edited by kpbutton; 02-06-13 at 09:16 AM.
    02-06-13 08:53 AM
    We don't have GMail accounts, so that solution wouldn't have been much faster for us. What did the trick is GreenCopperz solution, simply doing a contact only backup of our devices (Torch 9800) on DM and then loading that "legacy" backup on our Z10 through Link. It wasn't perfect, a few contacts lost some info, but editing what got broken sure beats re-typing everything... And the ability of the Z10 to link contacts proved to be awesome for repeat entries, a real time saver!
    02-06-13 09:02 AM
    Ok guys so i may have found an alternative bluetooth contact transfer method for all those still having issues. I was getting the "one contact" issue through bluetooth as well (i think its the devices not pairing properly) so this is what i did.
    I took my 9800 and connected it to Desktop Manager.
    From there i went into Organizer>selected only contacts to sync, I then hit the configuration tab to the right, sync direction> one way to cpu, left "replace all entries" box unchecked and then Contacts account>Windows Contacts. i left advanced settings alone then hit "ok".
    Then back in the main menu went to Device>Sync by Type>Organizer, it then syncs your old contacts to your cpu. Should be able to find them in "your name folder" with my docs, my pics etc. if not just do a "contacts" folder search. Making sure that your cpu is paired to your z10 through bluetooth, locate your contacts folder, inside should be all your phone contacts.
    at this point you will need to right click on the contacts you want to transfer then select Send To>Bluetooth (my cpu only let me do 20 contacts at a time). from there it will prompt you to receive on your z10 and you are on your way!..hopefully
    02-06-13 01:53 PM
    Ok guys so i may have found an alternative bluetooth contact transfer method for all those still having issues. I was getting the "one contact" issue through bluetooth as well (i think its the devices not pairing properly) so this is what i did.
    I took my 9800 and connected it to Desktop Manager.
    From there i went into Organizer>selected only contacts to sync, I then hit the configuration tab to the right, sync direction> one way to cpu, left "replace all entries" box unchecked and then Contacts account>Windows Contacts. i left advanced settings alone then hit "ok".
    Then back in the main menu went to Device>Sync by Type>Organizer, it then syncs your old contacts to your cpu. Should be able to find them in "your name folder" with my docs, my pics etc. if not just do a "contacts" folder search. Making sure that your cpu is paired to your z10 through bluetooth, locate your contacts folder, inside should be all your phone contacts.
    at this point you will need to right click on the contacts you want to transfer then select Send To>Bluetooth (my cpu only let me do 20 contacts at a time). from there it will prompt you to receive on your z10 and you are on your way!..hopefully
    This didn't work for me but thanks for sharing though, hope others work with your solution.
    02-06-13 06:43 PM
181 ... 23456 ...