I seem to have fixed my Z10's battery calibration issue. I'll post my findings and my reasons to have opted for this method of fixing the issue.

Issue 1: The battery showed 'full' before 100% when charging. ie. at 91% or 95% etc.

Solution 1: Unplugging the phone when it says 'full' & plugging it back again after a minute. This makes the % raise by 1% each time. You will end up having 100% after a few tries.
    Last edited by cycle_wala; 06-07-14 at 01:16 PM.
    06-03-14 06:54 AM
    Issue 2:
    Phone shutting down even when the battery doesn't show it is low. ie. phone shutting down at 89% or 70% or 30%.

Solution 2:
    1. Charge the phone to 'full' even if it doesn't say "100%".
    2. Unplug the phone and remove the battery.
    3. Fold a piece of paper 7-8 times.
    4. Keep the folded paper near the bottom edge of the battery.
    5. Insert the battery back into its slot with the paper at its bottom edge. It'll be tighter to insert. But try and insert it. This will make the battery contact points very tight to the phone pins.
    6. Use the phone normally. The phone probably wouldn't shut down like before and you might get to use it until at least 40% or lesser.
    7. Once the phone shuts down again, remove the battery and the paper. Let the battery cool down.
    8. After 5 minutes of removing, insert the battery back into the phone without the paper and charge the phone to 'full'.
    9. Unplug when full, remove the battery, put the folded paper into the slot as before and start using the phone.
    10. Repeat this charging cycle for 10 times. After that discard the paper altogether. Charge your phone normally and use it normally with no paper. The phone wouldn't shut down like before.

You might have issue1 back on your phone. ie. phone saying 'full' before reaching 100%. But that is an issue you can live with.
    Last edited by cycle_wala; 06-07-14 at 01:20 PM.
    06-03-14 06:56 AM
    How I found issue2:
    Issue2 started exactly 3 months after I bought my (BNIB) phone. The problem was that the phone started shutting itself down when it reached 70% charge.
    I had charged the phone overnight the previous day and was geared up for a 500kms bike ride. So I remember clearly when this occurred as my phone was my source for GPS for the ride.
    I kept searching in the forums for solutions and found no permanent solution. I've literally tried every method mentioned in almost all threads about this issue.

How I came up with solution2:
    I started brainstorming with myself.
    I suspected that the issue1 & issue2 are inter linked. I was convinced that the phone is acting weird because it is reading the battery level information wrongly from the battery (This info I got through searching the forums).
    I then read a few articles on how battery level is measured by smart phones and came to know that it is through the level of voltage output that the battery gives out.
    The trick with shimming a folded business card or paper at the bottom end of the battery to keep the contact points (-+) of battery and phone tighter seemed to help a little. I tried to find out why it worked.
    A little googling lead me to the finding that the voltage output increased a little when the battery is kept closer to the contact points of the device that needed the charge. So basically, it kind of gave out around 10% higher voltage when tight, compared to when not tight, with the same level of charge inside the battery.
    Since I was convinced that the shutting down of the phone was due to Battery Calibration issue (showing 70% when actual level is 5%). I tried to figure out why the issue might have started. I suspected overnight charging to be a cause.
    I came to this conclusion because of something I found out 4yrs back using an iPhone 3G. The iPhone if charged overnight would show 'full' when I unplug it in the morning. But within some 2hrs would lose almost 20% charge for no apparent reason. Back then there was no battery % showing for the iPhone. I used a cydia app to track this. I found out that he iPhone showed 'full' symbol in the morning after overnight charging but the battery % showed 90% charge. This was because iPhone didn't allow the charger to charge the phone once it reached 100% and it would display the 'full' symbol. Since it was left for over 5hrs that way, the iPhone slowly was losing charge because it was on standby and it's actual battery level was around 90% when I unplugged it in the morning despite it showing 'full'. But the iPhone corrected itself after unplugging. It'll show the phone to be in correct charge level after a few hours of unplugging even if the phone was left unused. This trick was to not let the user worry that his phone was not fully charged when unplugging. So with this in mind, I thought maybe the Z10 did the same theory but it couldn't correct itself after unplugging.

The theory seemed to fit. Since the STL100-1 used a different chip set, maybe they overlooked this issue or maybe they never found this bug. Now that I came to a conclusion on how it happened, I just had to figure out a way to fix it. The paper trick intrigued me.
    I did a few calculations. Everything was based on assumptions.
    PBC= Phone Battery Charge level
    RBC= Real Battery Charge level
    PTK= Battery Charge with Paper Trick
    Assumptions :
    1. I assumed the actual battery level to be under charged by 50%.
    2. I assumed the paper trick would give a 10% extra boost of voltage.
    3. I assumed the battery level reduce in a proportional way rather than the % reducing exactly.

With these assumptions, I came to a scenario where RBC is 5% when PBC showed 55%. And with PTK I could achieve 15% of RBC when the PBC is still 55%.
    1. I charged PBC to 100%. RBC was 50%.
    2. If RBC is 50%, then PTK is 60%. With that, I started using the phone.
    3. Phone shut down at PBC 40%. According to my assumptions, then PTK is 15% & RBC 5%.
    I kept repeating this until RBC & PBC became closer.

In other words :
    Instead of having the paper tucked at the battery bottom at all times, I used the paper only when discharging the phone (ie only when using the phone. Not while charging). When I charged the phone, I removed the paper and let it charge fully. When it said 'full', I put the paper and started using the phone. To my surprise, it worked well. The phone didn't shut down at 70% or 30% or anything. It shut down abruptly at 18% though. But the trick was working. I removed the paper and charged the phone to 'full' again. Then put the paper and used the phone. This time it shut down at 15%. After about 8-10 charge cycles, I tried doing this without the paper at all. I charged the phone, it reached 98% and said 'full'. Then used the phone heavily. It reached 6% and said 'shutting down handled' with the notification tone and shut the phone. So I was convinced that this trick kind of fixed the issue. Charged again, got 'full' at 99%. Then normal shut down at 6% again. Now after 9-11 charge cycles, I've posted this finding here. Now I have no more shut down at higher % level. Battery charges to 100% and shuts down around 4-7%.

I'm now very cautious not to charge the phone overnight now. I unplug as soon as it says 'full'. At times, it says full at 91%. But the battery life is the same. Maybe it stops charging at 91% because the device got hot or something.

That's one lengthy post. Anyway, if anyone wants to give this a try, do it and let me know of the result.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by cycle_wala; 06-07-14 at 01:21 PM.
    06-03-14 10:28 AM
    Inserting paper doesn't make any sense!!! Thanks for sharing though

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 11:02 AM
    Are you facing this particular issue? If so, you would have known by now that the paper trick helps temporarily.

Inserting paper doesn't make any sense!!! Thanks for sharing though

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 11:11 AM
    Yes I'm facing that problem I'm tired of calibrating phone battery again N again I'm on latest os vodafone India carrier stl100-1 model

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 12:28 PM
    Yes I'm facing that problem I'm tired of calibrating phone battery again N again I'm on latest os vodafone India carrier stl100-1 model

Posted via CB10
    Try this method if you have enough patience.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 01:19 PM
    Dude I did tried it but idk how long will it work *fingercrossed

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 01:51 PM
    Dude I did tried it but idk how long will it work *fingercrossed

Posted via CB10
    You mean to say you're now following the 'solution2' that I've posted? Let me know how it turns out for you.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 02:00 PM
    I have placed a piece of paper near battery while using but this method I tried earlier too and It made my phone shutdowns after 5 days but during 5 days no random shutdowns

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 02:03 PM
    Try this in the cycle I've mentioned. Charge without the paper and use the paper after unplugging. It did fix my phone. My phone used to get shut down a 89% before this.

I have placed a piece of paper near battery while using but this method I tried earlier too and It made my phone shutdowns after 5 days but during 5 days no random shutdowns

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 02:25 PM
    I have 2 questions:

1. Is this a permanent fix or will something like a reset or upgrading the OS mess it up? Do you know?

2. What if I just buy a new battery, wouldn't that fix it?

? We have apks cuz we need 'em not cuz we want 'em ?
    06-09-14 06:16 AM
    Ok what about this issue

Solution to Battery Calibration issue (Phone shutting down at 30% or higher) on STL100-1-img_20140609_151113.jpg

It has been many hours like this and I can't do anything

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 07:04 AM
    I have 2 questions:

1. Is this a permanent fix or will something like a reset or upgrading the OS mess it up? Do you know?

2. What if I just buy a new battery, wouldn't that fix it?

? We have apks cuz we need 'em not cuz we want 'em ?
    1. As far as I've seen, a reset or updating OS doesn't kill this fix. As long as you don't over charge the phone, you're good to go.

2. Yes, a new battery might fix this problem.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 09:24 PM
    Ok what about this issue

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140609_151113.jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	277172

It has been many hours like this and I can't do anything

Posted via CB10
    We'll need a little more information to help you on this.

What OS version are you running?

What did you do before this happened?

Did you try to remove the battery and then reboot it?

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 09:26 PM
    You don't need to put a folded paper. When your battery died, Just remove the battery and let it cool for about 5 minutes, then put your battery back to your device. It will show your that your battery is 0% and you can charge it normally.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 10:13 PM
    i see you are running 10.3.0.442 on STL 100-1.. and so am i as in i autoloader it just a few days back and i see that few things aren't working such as 1. Bedside Mode 2. Torch 3.I have no Native media players(Picture, Video, Music) 4. Native File explorer seems to be missing.. But i see that if i use an app for file explorer to open an image or a video, it uses the Native app. This makes me draw a conclusion that i maybe missing the icon on screen although they are installed.. please let me know if you had the same issues and if yes did you finally opt for previous version Bar files
    06-15-14 06:12 AM
    i see you are running 10.3.0.442 on STL 100-1.. and so am i as in i autoloader it just a few days back and i see that few things aren't working such as 1. Bedside Mode 2. Torch 3.I have no Native media players(Picture, Video, Music) 4. Native File explorer seems to be missing.. But i see that if i use an app for file explorer to open an image or a video, it uses the Native app. This makes me draw a conclusion that i maybe missing the icon on screen although they are installed.. please let me know if you had the same issues and if yes did you finally opt for previous version Bar files
    If this post was pointed at me, yes, I use 10.3.0.442 on my STL100-1
    You can install the missing bar files from 10.3.0.296 using sachesi or chrome.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 01:03 PM
    Does 10.3 fix battery false meter for STL 100-1 models like does it drain to 1% without any shutdown or false reading???????

Posted via CB10
    syah iejam likes this.
    06-15-14 02:13 PM
    Does 10.3 fix battery false meter for STL 100-1 models like does it drain to 1% without any shutdown or false reading???????

Posted via CB10
    It hasn't happened to me since 10.2.1.3175 (STL100-1) and I've read that Michael Clewey along with other users who were experiencing it said that it has been fixed in this version.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 12:15 PM
    Nope I'm on latest os that your on still I have the same issue

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 12:45 PM
    And I check Micheal clewly channel nothing has been posted there regarding battery indicator fix

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 12:53 PM
    Same problem was happening with me, sometimes it goes switch off on 20% and on 96%,it shows battery full..
    And today it was beyond the limits,,,i used more than half an hour my device...u will be shocked to see that it all happened on 0% battery...
    Solution to Battery Calibration issue (Phone shutting down at 30% or higher) on STL100-1-img_20140622_085153.png
    Solution to Battery Calibration issue (Phone shutting down at 30% or higher) on STL100-1-img_20140622_083851.png
    Solution to Battery Calibration issue (Phone shutting down at 30% or higher) on STL100-1-img_20140622_083323.png
    Solution to Battery Calibration issue (Phone shutting down at 30% or higher) on STL100-1-img_20140622_082933.png
    And sometimes it shows that battery temperature is increasing that it will harm ur battery and deviceuu..
    Solution to Battery Calibration issue (Phone shutting down at 30% or higher) on STL100-1-img_20140622_162502.png

@dazlr
    syah iejam and shahadav like this.
    06-22-14 12:57 PM
    Your phone is running on 1%how???????

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 01:01 PM
    Hi, I would like to comment regarding your self researched solution, I've had my Blackberry Z10 (STL-100-1) for around 2 months now, and I've encountered the same problem that you had, my phone used to display the fully charged icon at around 91%, although I've never encountered any shutdowns while the battery is at around 30-70%, I believe that only by using the original Blackberry supplied charger will solve the problem. The problem which I had just lasted for around 2 weeks, initially I was quite surprised that the battery would indicate that it has been fully charged although the percentage shows otherwise, but I tried to ignore it, hoping that the hardware would recalibrate itself, which it did, now my battery would fully indicate 100% and the full charge icon will also show up. I believe that tempering with the hardware especially would just make the problem worse, or worse you could damage the battery.
    06-26-14 07:53 AM
35 12