I'm still waiting for my wifes google calendar to 2 way sync, and thereby show itself as available when wanting to input a calendar event on said Z10. In the meantime Microsoft has updated Hotmail to 'outlook.com' for those who wish to sign up. It's new and free and the user interface looks quite elegant. It also allows you to have a new email alias ending in '@outlook.com' which will sync directly with your hotmail account. The calendar is easily accessible via the user interface, as is general chat messaging and other features. It's well worth a look.

So if you're inclined you could ditch gmail and move to hotmail or outlook as it is in its newest format. The calendar will play nicely with the Z10 and the interface looks good on your other devices (home computer etc).

Blackberry are aware of the google calendar issue...I have/am letting them know.... goodness knows when an effective fix will be working for everyone. I know it's early days for the Z10, but this is a very significant issue as it's so fundamental to smartphone users of any kind. This is a foundation issue.... a real basic that should have been working straight out of the box.....on day 1.

Pete
    Natedogg14 likes this.
    02-22-13 02:59 AM
    It seems to be google that is not playing nice with blackberry. Not sure if other phones have this issue too or not...

I have an outlook.com account and have thought abt just forwarding gmail to it. That way I can still do all the "sign in with google account" stuff like crack berry even supports
    02-22-13 03:32 AM
    If I set up an Outlook account, and forward my Gmail to it, can I reply from the device with my Gmail address as the reply to address?
    That would alleviate 99% of my issues.
    02-22-13 04:01 AM
    Thanks Pete, no more struggling with silly Gmail errors and CalDav delays and rejections - this is perfect and worked straight away. Cheers
    02-22-13 04:09 AM
    I'm still waiting for my wifes google calendar to 2 way sync, and thereby show itself as available when wanting to input a calendar event on said Z10. In the meantime Microsoft has updated Hotmail to 'outlook.com' for those who wish to sign up. It's new and free and the user interface looks quite elegant. It also allows you to have a new email alias ending in '@outlook.com' which will sync directly with your hotmail account. The calendar is easily accessible via the user interface, as is general chat messaging and other features. It's well worth a look.

So if you're inclined you could ditch gmail and move to hotmail or outlook as it is in its newest format. The calendar will play nicely with the Z10 and the interface looks good on your other devices (home computer etc).

Blackberry are aware of the google calendar issue...I have/am letting them know.... goodness knows when an effective fix will be working for everyone. I know it's early days for the Z10, but this is a very significant issue as it's so fundamental to smartphone users of any kind. This is a foundation issue.... a real basic that should have been working straight out of the box.....on day 1.

Pete
    Wake up PLEASE! If you had pad attention last December you would have noticed that Google announced publicly that it had decided to terminate it Google Sync service. This service was used by both BlackBerry and Apple to sync the Google's calendar on those devices. Android isn't affected because it uses its own built service that Google developed for their own OS.

So ask you why is it any fault of BlackBerry that it doesn't work?
    02-22-13 04:15 AM
    Wake up PLEASE! If you had pad attention last December you would have noticed that Google announced publicly that it had decided to terminate it Google Sync service. This service was used by both BlackBerry and Apple to sync the Google's calendar on those devices. Android isn't affected because it uses its own built service that Google developed for their own OS.

So ask you why is it any fault of BlackBerry that it doesn't work?
    Like lots of others on the forum I have read all about this and Googles use of 'caldav' as the new way to sync calendar events rather than activesync. There are members on the forum who state they now have 2 way sync working (admittedly I am assuming that they know what they mean when referring to 2 way sync being functional). Blackberry are looking into the issue.... it would be an easy answer to state that google does not support 2 way sync on the Z10. We could all then move on and get over it....change accounts etc. But that's not the case. This service should be working on the Z10, just like with an iphone or an android. The 'caldav' setup process should take care of it. If it was not the case then Blackberry would have made that perfectly clear to me and others by now.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    02-22-13 04:29 AM

If I set up an Outlook account, and forward my Gmail to it, can I reply from the device with my Gmail address as the reply to address?
    yup. If I remember correctly that is an option when you import your gmail info into outlook mail. I am sure you can do it later as well.
    02-22-13 04:34 AM
    I am really not sure why, but my Gmail, Gmail contacts and calendar have been working properly since day 1 using the built in IMAP set up. All I ever did was key in my Gmail and password and all set. I have read so many threads reporting issues with calendar, contacts etc, I really wonder what's the problems. To me it was such a simple set up

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 04:55 AM
    Did you switch your Gmail to ActiveSync? It normally does not set it up as ActiveSync when you initially configure it doing it the automatic way.
    02-22-13 06:51 AM
    Forget gmail as it doesn't support active sync! It's a messy setup with multiple account setting in z10 accounts.
    Transfer your life to outlook.com. It is an easy setup.

Posted via CB10
    tpmbb10 likes this.
    02-22-13 09:38 AM
    +1 for Outlook.com. Gmail has been my primary email/calendar/contacts service for 10 years. As soon as I heard that Google was going to start messing with Active Sync I created an account on outlook.com with the same email handle. Sure enough I wasn't at all pleased with the gmail integration on the Z10, especially the calendar. My outlook.com address works like a dream on my Z10, I'm really happy with it.

Migrating to outlook.com from gmail has been easy:
    - in gmail, I'm forwarding all mail to my outlook.com address and marking messages as "read".
    - in Outlook.com, I added my gmail account as an additional "Send Only" account. (Allows you to respond from your gmail while in the outlook.com site.)
    - in Outlook.com, you can import your gmail contacts quite easily.

I haven't removed my gmail account from the z10 but I have it hidden from contacts, the hub and calendar. This still allows me to compose emails from gmail.com if I so choose.
    LadyOfTheLAN and robkd like this.
    02-22-13 10:03 AM
    I'm curious about the security in outlook.com vs. gmail... Is it just a rebranded hotmail.com or is it a completely new service? I was constantly getting hacked when I had hotmail, and since switching to gmail I've never had any problems.

Also a lack of 2way sync with a gmail account is almost a deal breaker for me. It would never STOP me from getting a Z10 but it would be a huge sacrifice. I have all my contacts and calendar events done through gmail and it would suck to lose that. Switching to outlook.com is a nice alternative but if it's avoidable then i'd prefer that.
    02-22-13 10:40 AM
    I re did the caldav thing with Google around 9pm the day before yesterday. Today right now it is just before 1030am. Now when I go add event it allows me to choose the Gmail calendar. I have yet to Confirm if it is two way sync by going on a computer but I just made a test event to check later for tmr.

This means Google is not playing nice and has implemented some sort of delay where caldav requests are not instant and occur at some specific time during the day. Hence the 48 hour rule to allow this to happen.

//edit
    Ok I was just able to create that test event using Gmail calendar in the drop down and now wanted to make another one and all I see is local calendar again now WTF Google **** this I'm fed up and also going to outlook I think soon. Google extended active sync dead line to July this year for Windows Phone 8 but the rest got cut off. I hope Microsoft doesn't give us the shaft too at some point lol

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 11:24 AM
    Just transferred from GMail to Outlook.com. Love the clean view and even added aliases at Outlook.com. At Gmail I had 4 accounts - one for house, one for business etc.... I needed to send from these different accounts to separate my life so everything didn't flow into the same gmail account. At outlook.com they have aliases which creates a new "from" address and a subfolder. Now I can have all 4 aliases in one mailbox with folders separating them.

Another fantastic thing about Outlook.com is you can create more calendars and they ALL get synced to the Z10!! Calendar reminders can be set to email or your phone.
    02-22-13 11:34 AM
    Just transferred from GMail to Outlook.com. Love the clean view and even added aliases at Outlook.com. At Gmail I had 4 accounts - one for house, one for business etc.... I needed to send from these different accounts to separate my life so everything didn't flow into the same gmail account. At outlook.com they have aliases which creates a new "from" address and a subfolder. Now I can have all 4 aliases in one mailbox with folders separating them.

Another fantastic thing about Outlook.com is you can create more calendars and they ALL get synced to the Z10!! Calendar reminders can be set to email or your phone.
    Good to hear you're satisfied.... sometimes these companies 'cut off their nose to spite their face'. People do not like to be 'held over a barrel' by anyone and are much more likely to walk away as a matter of principle. I've had google accounts for a long time and as much as I have appreciated them I am more than prepared to ditch the lot. Fortunately for me at the mo' I don't need to as I have a Nexus 4. But I am annoyed at the problems with the Z10, as I want it to play nicely with google for the sake of my wifes google accounts. It's her lovely new phone, and I have to say it's definitely 'perdy'...
    02-22-13 11:48 AM
    Yes. In fact, you don't have to forward your gmail at all since outlook.com offers the option of tapping into your Gmail with POP to receive and send emails. It even gives you the option of sending all emails through gmail (or any other account accessed by POP) as default... Pretty sweet I must say. Transferring over my contacts and calendar was dead easy and without issue as well.
    02-22-13 11:56 AM
    lol looks like google is going to **** themselves over with this removing active sync debacle...
    02-22-13 12:32 PM
    Yes!! Screw google! This is my only negative thing about the Z10. This have been driving me nuts for a week! Highly recommend switching to hotmail.

I have exported each of my calendars from gmail to hotmail, very easy to do. Done in 10 minutes. Does pretty much everything gmail calendar does. Bye bye gmail...

On my Z10 I have only enabled hotmail calendar sync,, it works perfectly. Several calendars syncing with no problems. Even if they get this 2 say sync issue fixed, you still won't have multiple calendars without a paid google apps account. I will continue to use my Gmail email and contacts for a while, but I think they are on their way out too.
    Last edited by Natedogg14; 02-22-13 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typo
    02-22-13 12:56 PM
    lol looks like google is going to **** themselves over with this removing active sync debacle...
    Not really. I don't think too many people are leaving outright. I suspect BBRY has a bit more to lose, as it is its users that are jumping through hoops to make it work.

Plus, folks are rolling towards Microsoft? The king of proprietary offerings? Careful, careful...
    02-22-13 01:01 PM
    I switched my calendar over to outlook last night and it syncs very well! It took me a while to get everything sorted out, as I don't use Outlook for anything else, but it's up and running now. Yay!

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 01:08 PM
    for those who have stuff in google calendar already and dont want to recreate those events, subscribe to the google calendar in your outlook.com calendar

How to sync Google Calendar to Outlook.com for your Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

its ONE WAY SYNC only though

now i will add that outlook.com account and choose to sync only the calendar if possible and not the email/contacts
    but if you wanted u could import google contacts to outlook.com too (you can choose to export from google and import into outlook.com, or "connect" the accounts as outlook.com calls it and have them import automatically)

so the final setup should hopefully look like this:
    gmail sync thru IMAP
    gmail contacts sync thru CardDAV (this seems to work well)
    outlook.com calendar setup (which has now imported my gmail calendar)

thats cuz i still will use my gmail account and will not abandon it

another method:
    forward gmail to outlook.com and create a GMAIL folder and set it up to filter all emails from gmail to go to that folder (or just general inbox its up to u)
    import google contacts into outlook.com and scrap google contacts
    import google calendar into outlook.com and scrap google calendar

like i said hopefully MS doesn't **** everyone over now or in the near future haha
    02-22-13 02:05 PM
    Very happy with the outlook system. Z10 forced me to it, but I now regret I did not know it before.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 08:25 AM
    Most end users do not want a complex setup with a different settling for email, contacts, calendar. For this reason I recommend outlook.com as a better solution. I am not a huge fan of the outlook.com external site (when you log off you are and MSN or live com or some such thing which is very cluttered). I can live with that as it offers device functionality and the outlook.com site proper is really good. Also, being able to sync multiple calendars within the one account, and use aliases as consolidated my 3 gmail accounts into one Outlook.com account.

BesAdmin Z10 User
    kevinnugent likes this.
    02-24-13 02:54 PM
    +1 for Outlook.com. Gmail has been my primary email/calendar/contacts service for 10 years. As soon as I heard that Google was going to start messing with Active Sync I created an account on outlook.com with the same email handle. Sure enough I wasn't at all pleased with the gmail integration on the Z10, especially the calendar. My outlook.com address works like a dream on my Z10, I'm really happy with it.

Migrating to outlook.com from gmail has been easy:
    - in gmail, I'm forwarding all mail to my outlook.com address and marking messages as "read".
    - in Outlook.com, I added my gmail account as an additional "Send Only" account. (Allows you to respond from your gmail while in the outlook.com site.)
    - in Outlook.com, you can import your gmail contacts quite easily.

I haven't removed my gmail account from the z10 but I have it hidden from contacts, the hub and calendar. This still allows me to compose emails from gmail.com if I so choose.
    Hi

Can I just clarify please. Are you able to send from your gmail address on the z10 if it comes into Outlook?

I've set up outlook, have my gmail fwd there (so I get push email). It comes into my outlook email on the z10 however, so if I hit reply the sender gets an email from my outlook address. I just want to use outlook to get instant email but look like it is being sent and received from gmail
    03-21-13 03:58 AM
    An update on this from me. As above, I gave up on syncing Gmail calendar with the Z10 after days of faff, set up an outlook.com address and exported all my Gmail calendar events to outlook and then to the Z10. It seemed perfect, but there were 2 big problems:

1. I experienced huge delays in posting events to my calendar
    2. Calendar items weren't deletable on the phone (they reappeared within minutes) and weren't deletable on the outlook.com calendar either - I was told I didn't have permission (presumably as it was an imported calendar)

In my quest to solve these 2 issues, I gave Gmail calendar another go. I didn't have to do the fancy ActiveSync thing, just entered Gmail calendar as a new account. It worked immediately and now deleted items stay deleted. I haven't experienced any calendar posting delays either - so far, so I'm firmly back in the Gmail camp. For now!
    03-21-13 05:19 AM
27 12