Warning

Performing such operations on your device will void the guarantee.
    Do it only if you really need it and cannot afford any other way.

A few month ago, I had a bad day and my Z10 flew to the ground in my kitchen. Unfortunately, the way it fell turned into a predictable result : the screen was dead broken. Since I have a LE and upgraded to a Z30, that wasn't that dramatic for me, but my wife needed a new device and was ready to go for an IP5 ... Holy cow ... sort that screen problem Batman !

Before we begin, I give you my starting points :
    1. You obviously need a replacement kit, mine was from Etrade Supply :
    BlackBerry Z10 Replacement Parts
    mine was discounted under $30, but beware of choosing it accordingly to your device specs

2. You need the proper tools !!!
    You'll find on the market several tools set, take a robust one (not a Chinese crap); $20 seems a proper price.
    For the Z10 you will need :
    - a TorX 4 screwdriver
    - 0.8X40 mm pentalobe screwdriver
    - a case open tool <= get this, it's better/easier/safer (or a guitar pick, a plastic card ...)

Side note :
    So it is a +/- $50 operation you may want to balance with a +/- $100 operation at a repair shop near you. There's always a risk. Think about it before you start.

3. Get familiar with the device !
    My former attempt was with a IP3 someone gave me and I was foolish enough to believe it easy and fast.
    Don't do that.

Instead, take the time to identify each piece of the device and understand how it is built.
    Therefore, I strongly suggest you first have a look at this video. yes, it's more than 13 minutes long and you might think there's a lot of extra info inside (ok, ok, you can skip the whole "unpacking" intro !), but you'll learn how things are set and secured.
    Just watch it (and nod gently on the hypnotic music) .

Ok, you've watched it ? See how the guy is going easy and carefully ? Get inspired.
    (I'll give you another - and shorter - one later on, don't worry)

4. Take your time
    Don't rush. You need AT LEAST a full hour for your first attempt.
    Believe me. Your hands will be wet, you'll be questioning, wondering, trying ...
    If you're in a rush : just don't do it or you will fail.

5. Take pictures, take notes !
    As much as you can, take pictures of every major step in your work.
    This will typically help you when you will build it back.

Ok, now you're ready.
    Have a pee, clean your desk have a white surface to work on (these screws are damm small !).
    Don't smoke, don't drink ... well, not above your device, anyways ! (chr1s can do lol)

A. The first steps

Take the digitalizer+screen assembly out of the box, do NOT remove any protection films, stickers.
    Leave it alone, but it's a good idea it gets the same temperature than your device (avoid later inside condensation).

Kiss your old screen bye-bye, remove back, SIM, SD card and battery from your Z10. Put them apart, in a safe place.

Have a first look to what you'll have to do :
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_154204.jpg

B. Unmount the Z10 screen

Follow the video above and get things done !
    WARNING : you do not need to break appart the microphone (08:23), vibrating motor and second microphone (08:51)...

Some pics of my progression :
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_175706.jpg
    (ok, I didn't clean my desk: you got me ! I'm bad advisor )
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_181329.jpg
    Takes notes !!! What goes where
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_181601.jpg
    Be gentle when peeling the screen wires.
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-capture.png
    Screen release with case opener tool : WARNING - Go slow, take it easy, side by sides: start with the 2 long sides then slide easy from there to the TOP side.
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_185122.jpg

BOTTOM is "clipped" into the frame, you don't want to go there with the case opener !!!

So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_182940.jpg
    See the copper sticker on wires ? I choose to peal it and replace it on new screen wires; doesn't seem mandatory, but I believe the more you stick to the original, the best it is !
    ALSO : On this copper sticker, you see another black one it is the one you'll see on the vid at 11:43. Look carefully how it is set; in particular, see the round silver spots on the side : if ever you decide to put this black sticker back with the new sceen, be careful not to overlap them or your digitalizer won't work (says the guy who missed it) !!!

So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_183437.jpg
    Bye-bye cracky, welcome silky !

NOW it's time for a break.
    Seriously : Take a 5 minutes break.

C. Mount the new screen

AGAIN, don't believe you got it and it is simple reverse. Take your time, easy going. Don't sweat.
    Here are some pics, including errors ... I made.

So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_184510.jpg
    Remove the transparent plastic wire protection and the big blue sticker. You have several other blue stickers under the wires : DO NOT remove them now or it'll be painful and less efficient later.

So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_184735.jpg
    Take an absolute care of the wires: do not bend, twist, cut ... that's easy but you have to do it VERY carefully.

So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_191829.jpg
    Before you remove the blue stickers under the wires, place them in the proper place, try it, this must be quite 'natural'. See the 2 connectors pair ? The smallest wire is over the big one. Once you've made it glue-free, you can peel the stickers under the wires (note : there's one big white under the wired circuit board, peel it too).
    Try to keep the layers independent because some stickers are meant to stick the wires together, so : try to arrange the wires in layer order (bottom first).

Remember the black sticker I mentioned above ? This is what you don't want (and you can see on this picture) : overlap a contact ... don't.
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-capture2.png

[OK, I've reached the img # limit (12) ... follow up in next post]
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-24-14 at 09:48 AM.
    01-24-14 05:09 AM
    (cont)
    The next one is optional (?), that's the copper sticker I decided to put back in place ... we're dealing with all kind of magnetic/electrical fields here ... and I believe that if BlackBerry put it there, it's for a good reason. So, don't be lazy and put it back.
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-capture3.png

Now, let's mount back the elements ... take you time, do not try to screw too tight; once you feel it's secured, it's ok. Also, take attention to the camera and be sure it's correctly inserted in its slot. Again, no brute force, just look and be sure it's correctly placed (you may have accidentally moved it during former operations). Place the screws in the proper holes, proper order and sizes ! (remember the 2 "small" note !).
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_192637.jpg

Motherboard back in place (be sure the connectors don't go behind !), Be sure it fits correctly the wires holes (3 = top left, top right, bottom right), secure all the connectors (5 = 3 for screen/digit + 2 at the top left/right). Connectors will secure easilly provided you're aligned right : DO NOT PRESS LIKE AN ELEPHANT: a mouse can do
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_194024.jpg

Can you feel the smile on your face ?
    Right, you're almost done. Keep your concentration !

Let's put the back cover in place (gently press each corner, start with the camera one, to be sure it's fine) ...
    !wait! ... do not screw YET !
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_194333.jpg

Now, the big momentum ... plug the battery gently (remember, no screws yet!) back in place ... Red blink (it's alive !) - ohhhh - screen works !
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_194724.jpg
    wahhhh digitalizer works !!!
    So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140120_201321.jpg

Now, you can dance !!!!
    Hey, don't forget to screw the back !!! (I only suggested you don't initially to offer a fast check back option).

Now that you've read it ... you're ready for the fast track option ... with the video below.
    Please note that I believe this video is really good and will help you 100% but there's some missing steps (copper sticker, cable stickers) my Capricorn behavior ... bah, never mind, I know you don't mind as much as I do !

Happy "do-it-yourself" !
    Cheers
    SF

P.S: of course all these nice images (I need a manicure for next one lol) have been shot with my new buddy the great BlackBerry Z30 ! (except the screen release one, (c) Etrade supply. Hey, I only have two hands !)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-24-14 at 09:51 AM.
    01-24-14 05:47 AM
    Nice...good job SF, thanks for sharing.

Zee Z30 pozted thiz
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-24-14 08:55 AM
    Great job! If it happens to me, I will take the safer and quicker route - the repair shop. When it comes to this type of thing, I am the proverbial bull in a China shop.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    MrDoreth, Carmels and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-24-14 09:07 AM
    Awesome work man!

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-24-14 09:36 AM
    See that grey blob in the 3rd picture of the first post (and it's in other pics as well)? That is thermal paste used to dissipate heat from the CPU to the metal plate it is on. When I took my Z10 apart, that thermal paste no longer made a thermal connection and my Z10 would lockup or restart as soon as the CPU got warm. I opened it up and cleaned the old paste from the metal plate and CPU. Then put a blob of new thermal transfer paste on the CPU. That fixed my problem. I suggest you always redo that when you dissemble. You can get the paste from Amazon, Radio Shack and any computer store.
    Thanks!
    Mine was so clean I forgot to mention.
    To keep it clear, I've surrounded the "pasta" (mama mia ! lol) on this image.

P.S: This is one of the (many) reasons you don't want to be brutal when disasembling such devices ... there's a lot of things you can mess with improper tools or excessive "enthusiasm"

Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-24-14 at 09:55 AM.
    01-24-14 09:39 AM
    Huge thanks for this. I think I'm going to follow your path just to save money.

Thanks for the link to the place to purchase the replacement screen and the notation as to being careful as to which to pick. But, question: How do I know? I have the ATT LTE in black. The screen is spidered and I can only use about 45% of it. So, how do I know if I need the assembly with the "middle plate" or the "frame" or just the screen itself (which is out of stock)?

Any help greatly appreciated. I've been back to my HP Pre3 for the last several months. Love webOS (which is why I moved to BB10) and the physical keyboard, but it's way long in the tooth. Rebooting just to send an email has left me willing to take the risk of doing this myself just to get back to BB. Thanks again!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-30-14 07:52 PM
    ALL I can say is SUPER!!

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-30-14 07:56 PM
    Love it! Awesome tutorial. Will help a ton of people out!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-30-14 10:16 PM
    Huge thanks for this. I think I'm going to follow your path just to save money.

Thanks for the link to the place to purchase the replacement screen and the notation as to being careful as to which to pick. But, question: How do I know? I have the ATT LTE in black. The screen is spidered and I can only use about 45% of it. So, how do I know if I need the assembly with the "middle plate" or the "frame" or just the screen itself (which is out of stock)?

Any help greatly appreciated. I've been back to my HP Pre3 for the last several months. Love webOS (which is why I moved to BB10) and the physical keyboard, but it's way long in the tooth. Rebooting just to send an email has left me willing to take the risk of doing this myself just to get back to BB. Thanks again!
    Well, this is the tricky point if you don't want to be in a weird situation.
    If you look at the site you have the version numbers below the second row of digit+screen assemblies.
    I just realized that I've been lucky, as I've not paid attention much, but if you look at the illustration, you'll notice the circuit board on the wires, the "external frame" = middle plate and the (screen) frame. But, it doesn't appear that (besides the extra framing parts) there's different models here.

I'd simply suggest that you start with unmounting the device and have a look at the reference and wires on your actual device. That's the best way to go (I've been unable to find a site/tool to list the devices parts based on serial# or even type). Unless your device frame is damaged (or you want to change its color and go OREO ...), you're not interested by the first row. I didn't need the frame either.
    Again, unmounting your device first will help to make the good choice !

Note: IMHO don't try to save a few $ to take screen or digitalizer only, take the assembly. LCD screen alone is a VERY tricky piece as much as a simple "fingerprint" or extra pressure can ruin it immediately (that's what happened in my ip bad experience.

FWIW for my (French/EU 4G STL100-2) this is the bundle I choose : OEM BlackBerry Z10 LCD Screen and Digitizer Assembly (LCD-46537-001/111) = no frame, no middle plate; 3rd on the second row.

Hope it helps, cheers & thks you (all) for your friendly comments !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-31-14 at 03:18 AM.
    johnuk79, circadia and bungaboy like this.
    01-31-14 02:58 AM
    That's very helpful and I think I'm going to order the same one as you as I definitely want the assembly. But I'm also considering the one with the frame because it looks like that's what was going on in the second video you posted. Just not clear as to what the difference (aside from price) is between the first and second items on the bottom row.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-31-14 07:01 PM
    That's very helpful and I think I'm going to order the same one as you as I definitely want the assembly. But I'm also considering the one with the frame because it looks like that's what was going on in the second video you posted. Just not clear as to what the difference (aside from price) is between the first and second items on the bottom row.
    The external frame with the bezel. it's a 5 screw difference if yours is ok ...
    bungaboy and circadia like this.
    02-01-14 08:01 AM
    Just broke my screen. Wow. I have never had a cell phone that I cracked the screen . Help

Z10 STL100-3 >>>>>>>>Leaks 1055, 1259, 1925
    02-03-14 06:39 PM
    Just broke my screen. Wow. I have never had a cell phone that I cracked the screen . Help

hi thurman !
    As you can read in OP, you can buy parts here : BlackBerry Z10 Replacement Parts
    Note this is not exclusive and may depend on your location and tastes. See post #11 about the part choice.

Cheers,
    SF
    02-04-14 01:19 AM
    Sorry I see it now.

Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-04-14 06:14 AM
    Finally got my screen. It was so simple. I got a great price on Amazon. Great tutorial. I was careful with the thermal paste and the foil ...now that's a different store. But overall it went well.

Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-07-14 02:42 PM
    Awesome!

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-08-14 05:52 AM
    This should be a Sticky!

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 08:29 AM
    Hello Superfly,

Great thread. Just broke my Z30 screen, see attached picture. Would you recommend I tried the same? I usually am very handy but it looks complicated. So, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140217_072949.jpgSo, I decided to replace my Z10 broken screen myself ...-img_20140217_073217.jpg

Mine looks like the digitizer is finished, as there seems to be some leak under the glass.

What do you think?

JF
    02-17-14 07:33 AM
    Hello Superfly,

Great thread. Just broke my Z30 screen, see attached picture. Would you recommend I tried the same? I usually am very handy but it looks complicated.

Mine looks like the digitizer is finished, as there seems to be some leak under the glass.

What do you think?

JF
    Hi JF,
    sorry, hard to tell about the problem you have but your screen does look ... bad.
    I've heard that the replacement was easier on Z30 than Z10 and could be as easy as a 5 screws unfasten.
    Unfortunately, the replacement part seems to be much more expensive (around $150) ...

I'm a bit off for the week (digital rehab' or such lol) so, sorry for this late and laconic answer
    jfguay2 and Bungalow_Bill like this.
    02-20-14 09:48 AM
    Unfortunately I have not been as lucky with replacing my daughter's LCD/digitizer on her Z10. Her dog decided her phone would make a good chew toy and cracked the screen. It does not appear that there was any internal damage and I am able to connect it to a computer - backup, install new OS, etc. so it seems like the components are all working. But when I replace the screen, nothing happens. I get the red light and then a backlight on the screen and then it just goes blank. Anyone have any thoughts?

Is there a difference between LCD-46537-001/111 3 and LCD-46537-001/111 2? That last digit is the only difference I see between the original LCD and the replacement. I returned one and received a 2nd one with the same results (supposedly OEM parts). I've only read to make sure to get 001/111 and when I ask the supplier that is all they look at as well.

Is there anything else I can check? Thanks for any input.
    04-08-14 12:01 PM
    I have read that there IS A DIFFERENCE. You need the exact right SCREEN part.
    04-08-14 12:25 PM
    I have read that there IS A DIFFERENCE. You need the exact right SCREEN part.
    That is what I am thinking... but how do I get the exact screen when all I can get out of a supplier is that it is 001/111 for 4G Z10 so it's the right part? Anyone know of a supplier that will get that detailed (that doesn't charge $150 for the part)? Thanks!

ETA: Perhaps I've found one...based on their photos. I guess I'll order and see what happens!
    04-08-14 01:00 PM
    That is what I am thinking... but how do I get the exact screen when all I can get out of a supplier is that it is 001/111 for 4G Z10 so it's the right part? Anyone know of a supplier that will get that detailed (that doesn't charge $150 for the part)? Thanks!

ETA: Perhaps I've found one...based on their photos. I guess I'll order and see what happens!
    I _THINK_ (not entirely sure) that folks have used

ETrade Supply|iPhone Parts|Cell Phone Parts|iPhone 4S Parts|iphone 5 parts|Mobile Phone Parts

for parts. You might search Crackberry for info.
    gritsinct likes this.
    04-08-14 03:51 PM
    I _THINK_ (not entirely sure) that folks have used

ETrade Supply|iPhone Parts|Cell Phone Parts|iPhone 4S Parts|iphone 5 parts|Mobile Phone Parts

for parts. You might search Crackberry for info.
    Thank you for the input! That's actually where I got the two parts that didn't work... They are the ones that said that all they can tell me is that it is 001/111.
    But to be fair, I was trying to order the screen and the middle plate (thanks to doggy teeth-marks) so they couldn't just look at the back of the LCD screen. I must also say that their customer service is very nice and quick to respond. They just don't seem to have what I need.

Unless someone has any thoughts on what else could be keeping the screen blank?

ETA: As a last ditch effort, I did take the LCD screen/digitizer out of the piece they sent me (that's how I know it has a different last digit than the original) and attached it to the original middle plate with no luck... still a blank screen. Although I did get a flashing red LED when I did that.
    04-08-14 04:50 PM
47 12