View Poll Results: Do you use NFC?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

23 35.94%
  • NFC? As in Never Freaking Cared?

41 64.06%
    nah not big in London the only thing NFC everywhere is oyster card.
    Well this is just plain wrong. Most payment terminals are NFC now. The only method being NFC enabled cards, for now.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 03:33 AM
    Yeh but could you imagine having an Oyster card app on Z10. I'd use my phone to jump on the tube if I could
    Why would anybody use am oyster card? So they can be followed around the city in the same way that the stasi followed people?

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 05:34 AM
    Sadly I don't trust NFC, it's still such a new technology that I am sure someone will write an article in a year or two on how much of a security risk it is.

Sorry it reminds me of the technology they use in credit cards that now you just have to tap to pay? Well there is a video on YouTube I think 60 minutes did a while back, a guy who works for a security company in the US showed how easy it was to steal peoples credit card info by buying a cheap scanner from Ebay, is the same scanner you use to tap your credit card on, and he modified its power source and stuck it into a small hand brief case and walked around in an airport close to people and was picking up their credit info. Then he showed how easy it was to transfer that info to any card with a magnetic strip and use it to by things. So with the permission of someone for the purpose of the show he stole their credit card info and put the info onto another card and then used it to by a coffee and had no problems doing so!

The credit card companies all said the chip inside their credit cards for paying by tapping it was optional, customers could request that their card didn't come with one, but assured 60 minutes they were safe to use... Yeah suuure!
    christausky likes this.
    03-10-13 09:34 AM
    Sadly I don't trust NFC, it's still such a new technology that I am sure someone will write an article in a year or two on how much of a security risk it is.

Sorry it reminds me of the technology they use in credit cards that now you just have to tap to pay? Well there is a video on YouTube I think 60 minutes did a while back, a guy who works for a security company in the US showed how easy it was to steal peoples credit card info by buying a cheap scanner from Ebay, is the same scanner you use to tap your credit card on, and he modified its power source and stuck it into a small hand brief case and walked around in an airport close to people and was picking up their credit info. Then he showed how easy it was to transfer that info to any card with a magnetic strip and use it to by things. So with the permission of someone for the purpose of the show he stole their credit card info and put the info onto another card and then used it to by a coffee and had no problems doing so!

The credit card companies all said the chip inside their credit cards for paying by tapping it was optional, customers could request that their card didn't come with one, but assured 60 minutes they were safe to use... Yeah suuure!
    Well, NFC only works over a few cm at best - though with the Bold and Z10 when I tried the phones had to actually touch and when I use the card tapping it has to touch the reader as well.
    Maybe you can increase the power of a reader - but by how much?

It is definitely a lot more secure than say bluetooth or the wireless car unlock systems - or a Simon's Voss fob as it has a significantly lower range.

Nevertheless I am intrigued, care to share a link to your source?
    03-10-13 09:44 AM
    I like the idea of tags around the house, in my car and at work. All are implied simply by reading the introduction on the Z10. Can anyone suggest tags that work? All I see here are named tags that don't and ones that haven't arrived yet.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 11:27 AM
    I like the idea of tags around the house, in my car and at work. All are implied simply by reading the introduction on the Z10. Can anyone suggest tags that work? All I see here are named tags that don't and ones that haven't arrived yet.

Posted via CB10
    Any tag that is NFC Forum compatible (Type 1, 2, 3, and 4) is supported by BB10 (and BB OS).
    A good example for tags that work with BB10 and are not very expensive are Mifare Ultralight, and Mifare Ultralight C.

(Stay away from Mifare Classic, 1K and 4K tags as they are not NFC Forum compatible)
    03-12-13 11:17 AM
    Never even touched it apart from the first day I turned it off after purchase

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 11:22 AM

I have a NYS enhanced license that allows me to use it for entry into Canada instead of a passport. That has IRC qualities also. Mine came with an aluminum sleeve to keep it in. I took queue from that an bought a few aluminum sleeves for mine and my GF's credit cards.

The aluminum sleeves are the current solution to protect against thieves stealing your information. I suggest getting one. Really cheap on Amazon.

As far as using the NFC function of my Z10? I'm all for it. As long as the app developer can guarantee the security of my information, I will buy the app. Along with the fact that if I were to lose my Z10 or it was stolen, I can remotely wipe my device from the internet from any phone, tablet or PC. I would love to be able to carry my credit card, enhanced license, passport and my work access badge all in my device. Reduce the need for carrying a wallet. Once again, as long as the security of my information can be guaranteed.

Lastly, I would love to be able to send and receive information across different platforms (Android, Windows, IOS). It would be a huge time saver at work when I need to send / receive documents or contact information to my co-workers that are now regretting that they left Blackberry for the others now that they see how efficiently I'm able to use my Z10 and Playbook for business.
    05-24-13 03:53 AM
    Yes, quite a bit and expected to use it more. We use NFC at work for access to our restricted areas as well as periodically swapping photos or docs between phones. I've transferred with other phone OSs as well, platform isn't a factor. That stupid Samsung commercial showing sharing photos by touching is nothing more than NFC sharing, which all NFC enabled phones can do, (sorry iPhone). I also have a tag in my truck and at my desk.
    05-24-13 11:10 AM
    Nope! I'm still an NFC virgin! Hehe! ; )

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    I'd say, I am an NFC virgin too. LOL. My colleague who has a Z10 is not willing to explore it with me. Kinda lazy.
    My wife is having S4 too so I think, I'll remain an NFC virgin for days.

Wait, is NFC downloadable in old BB versions? Thanks.

In The Eyes Of BlackBerry
    05-24-13 11:18 AM
    I've been using NFC for contact swapping and it has worked great and impressed the crap out of a lot of folks. Especially considering the iPhone doesn't have NFC. So BlackBerry is leaving them in the dark.

Posted by my awesome Z10
    05-24-13 11:29 AM
    I use NFC with my Blackberry Passport and a wireless headphones set. The headphones connected to my Passport by touching a certain spot on the headphones to the back of my Passport. It works great.
    christausky likes this.
    02-15-15 07:27 AM
62 123