I got a new Z10 about 2 weeks ago - noticed that text messages were disappearing at random.

I called the BlackBerry Complimentary Support line and they had me reinstall the OS via USB cable - the rep said that sometimes when you update the OS via WiFi the connection gets lost and it could corrupt things.

But over the next day or so the same thing started happening...so I called again and this time they said they would escalate the issue but that they could not give me an expected date for resolution.

Because I was still within the 14 days to return the phone I went to AT&T and exchanged it for a new one.

Everything was good for the first couple of days all of my SMS messages seemed to "stick."

But then - and I don't know if this is relevant or not - I decided to add text messages to the hub. And within a couple of hours one full conversation with a friend was gone. When I went to text him, the conversation was no longer there so I had to start one from scratch. Everything else stayed - it was just this one conversation. I just got the phone so I have a few dozen texts, if not less.

I took the text messages out of the hub and will be watching them for a few days to see if they stick/look like they're saving. Then I plan on adding text messages to the hub again and see if they disappear again to see if that may have something to do with it.

I called BlackBerry to let them know the issue is happening with a new phone but they didn't have anything to tell me.

Is anybody else experiencing this?
    Last edited by cbcj; 05-06-14 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes; clarity
    05-06-14 10:02 PM
    Only once. When my device ran out of memory (memory as in disk space not ram)

When it runs low < 500mb, you stop receiving messages and some messages vanish.

Long shot but...

Posted via CB from my LE
    05-06-14 11:12 PM
    Thanks KermEd...yeah, I hardly have anything on the phone, so no chance of it being low on memory...
    05-06-14 11:14 PM
    Hi, 2 thing with my experience could be the cause of this problem. Either a lack of memory, but as you said, you don't have much on the phone so, and the other cause would be a bad os.. On what os are you?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 12:01 AM
    The latest one, arsend999...

OS Version 10.2.1.2273
    05-07-14 12:08 AM
    The latest one, arsend999...

OS Version 10.2.1.2273
    I just did a quick research, and that particular os, even if it's official one, have bugs, I read quickly a forum about it "16 pages" of problems, problems like contact disapear, text disapear, etc.. sound a lot like you..lol

I think you should try a different os.. nothing to lose.. try something like .2156, or any solid os, who people try and test, and work well.

Anyway, it's that I would do..Good luck, and keep us updated.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 01:00 AM
    I just did a quick research, and that particular os, even if it's official one, have bugs, I read quickly a forum about it "16 pages" of problems, problems like contact disapear, text disapear, etc.. sound a lot like you..lol

I think you should try a different os.. nothing to lose.. try something like .2156, or any solid os, who people try and test, and work well.

Anyway, it's that I would do..Good luck, and keep us updated.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks so much for your suggestion, arsend! How exactly could I go to a different OS? When I did the update it just tells it to find the "latest" software?
    05-07-14 01:06 AM
    Try deleting the Facebook app and account from your phone. Then reboot. See if it fixes. Then reinstall the app. That's assuming you have Facebook.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 01:09 AM
    Before you get stressed out more and go through all that reloading stuff and calling the sometimes unhelpful customer support, Just try this next time it happens and they will reappear. When you see that your conversation is blank after recently being there a few ago, go to the text message settings and switch the text back ground to dark and when you go back it will appear. This would happen to me often and I would end up rebooting but now every time it happens I just end up switching the background color and it solves it's quickly. So for example if it happens again today switch it dark and check messages. Then when it happens the next time. Switch it back To light and so forth. Please advise if it works for you

Attachment 268328
    Last edited by sniperyder; 05-07-14 at 05:49 AM.
    05-07-14 05:24 AM
    How many other accounts do you have defined? Email? Instant Messaging? Social Media? (Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Skype/WhatsApp/Viber/etc.)

Any other apps that use the Hub, including Android apps?

When was the last time you did a cold restart/reset? (NOT battery pull. See my posting signature if you're using the website - can't see it if you're using the CB10 app.)
    05-07-14 07:44 AM
    Try deleting the Facebook app and account from your phone. Then reboot. See if it fixes. Then reinstall the app. That's assuming you have Facebook.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks birthgirth. I have the FB app but I have never activated it/used it.
    05-07-14 10:48 AM
    Before you get stressed out more and go through all that reloading stuff and calling the sometimes unhelpful customer support, Just try this next time it happens and they will reappear. When you see that your conversation is blank after recently being there a few ago, go to the text message settings and switch the text back ground to dark and when you go back it will appear. This would happen to me often and I would end up rebooting but now every time it happens I just end up switching the background color and it solves it's quickly. So for example if it happens again today switch it dark and check messages. Then when it happens the next time. Switch it back To light and so forth. Please advise if it works for you

Attachment 268328
    Snyder, I'll try your suggestion. However, please note - it's not that the person was on the list and just the conversation/back and forth texts were missing. The person was no longer on the list of people I had recently texted with. They were off the text "log."

Does that change your answer?
    05-07-14 10:51 AM
    How many other accounts do you have defined? Email? Instant Messaging? Social Media? (Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Skype/WhatsApp/Viber/etc.)

Any other apps that use the Hub, including Android apps?

When was the last time you did a cold restart/reset? (NOT battery pull. See my posting signature if you're using the website - can't see it if you're using the CB10 app.)
    Omnitech - I have 3 email accounts defined (2 AOL, 1 Gmail) , no social media accounts set up yet, not using BBM.

The only thing I have installed other than what came with the BB is the Amazon Appstore - but I have not downloaded any apps yet.

I am not using the Priority Hub.

On my first Z10 I had everything going through the Hub - calls, VMs, texts, emails.
    On the second Z10 I had nothing going through the Hub. But then I added calls and texts. It was a few hours after that that the one conversation completely came off the log as if I had never texted with that person. I then removed texts from going through the Hub and I'm keeping an eye on them. My plan was to make sure no texts were disappearing and try adding them to the Hub again and see if the problem reoccurs - but since I am not having tons of texting conversations it's hard to really test it well.

I don't know that I ever did a cold restart/reset...except maybe with my first phone, when the BlackBerry rep had me reinstall the OS. Guess I should try that? (I'll check out the article in your sig).
    05-07-14 11:01 AM
    Definitely do the restart. Can help with many cases of "weirdness".

Also, try toggling the Hub setting for "Display Style" from "conversation" to "single messages" (or vice versa) temporarily and see if that helps.

But I would do the restart first if it's been a long time.
    05-07-14 02:47 PM
    And just to let you know your not crazy, my wife's SMS messages periodically 'die'. Like go blank. And she can't respond. Only in the hub all other apps are fine.

She reboots each time. Just her patience is wearing thin. At the same time - backup / update / reload takes many hours. And I've been too busy to help her.

Anyway point being - new OS, weirdness does ensue. But hopefully some of the advice above brings it to resolution. Love the bubble switch idea omni

Posted via CB from my LE
    05-07-14 06:42 PM
    At the same time - backup / update / reload takes many hours. And I've been too busy to help her.

Need to take all those LOLcat videos off her dang phone.
    05-07-14 11:18 PM
    Thanks so much for your suggestion, arsend! How exactly could I go to a different OS? When I did the update it just tells it to find the "latest" software?
    Hi, you can found any os here on crackberry, just download the right for your model, I mean by that is you have stl100-3, download only stl100-3 version.. after that go on youtube, you will find a lot of video showing you how, it's easier that way than me try to explain everything..lol Please note: backup everything first

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 10:02 AM
    And just to let you know your not crazy, my wife's SMS messages periodically 'die'. Like go blank. And she can't respond. Only in the hub all other apps are fine.

She reboots each time. Just her patience is wearing thin. At the same time - backup / update / reload takes many hours. And I've been too busy to help her.

Anyway point being - new OS, weirdness does ensue. But hopefully some of the advice above brings it to resolution. Love the bubble switch idea omni

Posted via CB from my LE
    Thanks at least I know I'm not the only one! Hasn't happened for the last week or so...so keeping my fingers crossed.

Hi, you can found any os here on crackberry, just download the right for your model, I mean by that is you have stl100-3, download only stl100-3 version.. after that go on youtube, you will find a lot of video showing you how, it's easier that way than me try to explain everything..lol Please note: backup everything first

Posted via CB10
    Got it. Even if I don't download it (I think I might just wing it and wait for new update) now I know there are OSs to download, so I learned something. Thank you.

Definitely do the restart. Can help with many cases of "weirdness".

Also, try toggling the Hub setting for "Display Style" from "conversation" to "single messages" (or vice versa) temporarily and see if that helps.

But I would do the restart first if it's been a long time.
    Omni, did a restart (like the cool kids ) - and will try the view switch. Thank you!
    05-08-14 10:40 AM