Being a small business owner and not having a large enough staff to support a BES solution, I am wondering if other people in my situation would be willing to pay for a subscription based BES service or a "Secure BlackBerry Cloud" type of service if it was offered. I'm not sure if it is possible but if I could pay a couple of dollars a month to get the enterprise functionality, data compression, security, balance functionality, I would be more than willing to pay it. It would help BlackBerry offset the loss of the other fees they are losing with the new devices and give small business owners the benefits of BES.

Sound off and let me know if there are others that would be willing to pay for the additional monthly fee to get the benefits of BES. Perhaps non business users would also want to enjoy the security, compression etc.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 11:03 AM
    I would. Even for my personal phone, to keep data compression.
    And I know of someone who would also do it. Unfortunately, the way they've got the pricing for BES it's prohibitive. And they did away with BESX.
    I've got no clue what BB is thinking.
    02-18-13 11:07 AM
    I would pay as much as $10 per user if necessary.
    02-18-13 11:14 AM
    I would also pay for a watered down BES service that included Balance and BES cloud/security features. I would feel more secure if offered by Blackberry, but if its cost prohibitive for Blackberry to get it to a rate small businesses can afford, could it be done with a work around mimicking those features via a 3rd party app? Hint!
    02-18-13 11:50 AM
    We would pay up to $5.
    02-18-13 01:02 PM
    Maybe CrackBerry can set up BES and charge a service fee for all members who would want to use it.
    02-18-13 02:49 PM
    Why not use a hosted exchange option? I use Office365.
    02-18-13 02:55 PM
    Being a small business owner and not having a large enough staff to support a BES solution,
    You can deploy BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 (BES10) on Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard. Hire a consultant to install and configure a single server over a weekend. Just make sure the consultant has done at least one previous deployment of BES5 so they are familiar with the BlackBerry way of doing things and their knowledge base article system. The pricing structure for BES10 is a lot different and less expensive than for BES5 Enterprise Edition.

To offer a hosted BES10 service with email for the general public you'd require an always-on Internet connection, preferably with an ISP-provided unlimited data plan, and your own domain name. The fee you'd need to charge has to cover the per-user licence fee that BlackBerry charges for each single-user license as well as a monthly recurring fee to cover the cost of providing the service. You could run it as a non-profit but you still have to cover expenses providing the service.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    02-18-13 03:57 PM
    Thanks for the feedback peeps!

The hosted exchange is also an option but as I understand it would not give you the data compression and balance functions correct?

The reason I wanted to post this was to gauge interest from other BB users. I think there is an opportunity for BB to offer a service like this and to replace the monthly fees Wall Street is worried about them losing.

Keep voicing your opinions.
    Last edited by Wilkerson4492; 02-18-13 at 04:37 PM.
    02-18-13 04:19 PM
    Yes, for a reasonable fee I would use it. Keeping work and personal separate would make things so much easier and more organized on my phone.
    croman likes this.
    02-18-13 05:00 PM
    I would use it for the right price.$75 or less a year would probably be the sweet spot.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 05:04 PM
    I would. Even for my personal phone, to keep data compression.
    And I know of someone who would also do it. Unfortunately, the way they've got the pricing for BES it's prohibitive. And they did away with BESX.
    I've got no clue what BB is thinking.
    What is the point of data compression in the age of LTE? Compression may have been important in 2007-08 when 2G/EDGE was the norm, but even HSPA/HSDPA is considered fast enough by many people, and with LTE, it's not even an issue. Also, data compression cannot be done with media like streaming video/music, it is only for browsing and emails. If your data plan is limited, you'd save much more in just upgrading the plan than shelling out for BES, which is really only cost-effective for very large enterprises.
    02-18-13 05:29 PM
    What is the point of data compression in the age of LTE? Compression may have been important in 2007-08 when 2G/EDGE was the norm, but even HSPA/HSDPA is considered fast enough by many people, and with LTE, it's not even an issue. Also, data compression cannot be done with media like streaming video/music, it is only for browsing and emails. If your data plan is limited, you'd save much more in just upgrading the plan than shelling out for BES, which is really only cost-effective for very large enterprises.
    International travel.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    02-18-13 05:50 PM
    If there was a beginner's guide to servers, BESx, and related upkeep... Not a small business but a BlackBerry family with a license for Windows Server 2012 and a domain. $15 is very reasonable if I could get over the initial barriers of implementation. I would definitely pay $10 out-of-pocket if that meant getting back BIS plus some BESx features.
    02-19-13 10:12 AM
    Agree...if they could offer Balance with emails and document attachments going through BES and music and video running through personal data I'd pay for that.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 11:38 AM
    Thanks for the feedback peeps!

The hosted exchange is also an option but as I understand it would not give you the data compression and balance functions correct?

The reason I wanted to post this was to gauge interest from other BB users. I think there is an opportunity for BB to offer a service like this and to replace the monthly fees Wall Street is worried about them losing.

Keep voicing your opinions.
    The current hosted BES solution only works with BlackBerry OS 5/6/7 smartphones, but strictly hosted Microsoft Exchange with Microsoft Active Synch enabled works with any smartphone capable of supporting the EAS protocol. BlackBerry Business Cloud Service would have been the ideal platform for BlackBerry to provide BES10 functionality to the same user community supported by the existing BBCS. Thorsten seems dead-set against providing cloud/hosted services going forward; a very stupid strategic decision in my opinion.
    02-19-13 11:50 AM
    Hmm. I just wish I could a administer the balance setup on my device for comfortably showing off my device without having people looking through not .

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 11:53 AM
    If there was a beginner's guide to servers, BESx, and related upkeep... Not a small business but a BlackBerry family with a license for Windows Server 2012 and a domain. $15 is very reasonable if I could get over the initial barriers of implementation. I would definitely pay $10 out-of-pocket if that meant getting back BIS plus some BESx features.
    You can install and configure Microsoft Small Business Server 2011 Standard and BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 rather easily for personal-use if you want the advantages of BES on a generic data plan. Maintenance is almost zero effort: add/remove users from Microsoft Active Directory and assign a Microsoft Exchange mailbox; add/remove users from BlackBerry Administration Console; apply periodic software maintenance releases. You can put the BES server in a closet with power outlet and network connection and practically never think about it again - it just works.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    02-19-13 12:00 PM
    When you guys say, $5, $10, $15 - you mean per month correct? Because if so, BES10 licensing for around $97/CAL isn't terrible.

We started with BESx and honestly, I can't NOT have BES now as much as BES10 is lacking in *some* features. Those will likely be there in May though.

As for cloud yada yada, the Work Drives for BES is apparently an incredible and secure bridge to that gap. The bad part, it only works on BES. However he great part, it gives secure access to your mapped enterprise drives.
    02-19-13 12:09 PM
    I don't think there is a cost for the BES 10 server, just device CALs.
    02-19-13 02:07 PM
    Correct and they're 99 each, which is cheap.

@ the OP....no more data compression with or without BES / BIS. There isn't a whole lot of benefit using BES10 over straight Activesync anymore. All BES10 does now is control the device / IT policy, but really offers nothing more than Activesync to someone like you. For those of you who haven't tried it yet, Balance is something you will not like, as it is simply more of an IT policy than anything else.

It is a huge hindrance, as it literally separates the device in two, with little commonality between the two. An example of hindrance on Balance...

Say you have an e-mail you got in the Enterprise e-mail account and you want to copy something (or even a signature) out of the enterprise e-mail to an e-mail you want to send from your personal account - you would see a "not allowed" message. It is very heavily tied down - and you can't even override most of those policies as the BESADMIN.

Example 2 -- you want to attach a picture from your SD card to an Enterprise e-mail - forget it. SD cards are NOT accessible through Enterprise e-mail in this version of BES10, period.

BES10 uses Activesync...so in a small enterprise, not only is there no gain, but there is no benefit - and it becomes less productive than NOT using Balance. Balance is a mere marketing hype thing - in practice for most users - it's nothing more than a big piece of sh!t.

I have been a BESADMIN for over 12 years...and have been through all versions of BES.

BES used to worth something - but as soon as the Z10 came out using Activesync, BES became an Edsel, IMO. It's certainly not what is going to lead BBRY into the future. Z10's are no better connected (with or without BES10) than Android or IOS. Now, it's going to be about the OS and the user experience on the device, not BES solutions.

I can see where large enterprises like the idea of BES10, because it locks down the device and (almost) ensures that data isn't copied out of the enterprise accounts...but that doesn't bode well with everyday users in small business environments.

Clearly, with the Z10, BBRY has decided to go after the consumer, chasing the Droid and Apple devices...

They are not going to be the only solution for enterprise clients...as they once were.

You can't suck and blow.

The End.

That being said, I love my Z10.
    02-19-13 02:42 PM
    I am using blackberry business cloud service with ofice 365 this costs about �2.50 pcm. I am not sure if this is the same thing, but my email is now linked through an "enterprise app" so everything is synced with outlook. Once i get my Z10 i am hoping that balance works with this also.
    02-19-13 04:27 PM