Very disappointed in the skin, especially after reading glowing reviews about them all over the place. Everything about fitment, included items, ease of install were all spot on. So what's the problem?

Upon opening the package and pulling out the skin, I was horrified to see...it's obviously not carbon fiber. It's just plastic with sipes running in opposing directions (some vertical, some horizontal) as opposed to actual weave. While it's nice that it gives it a "carbon fiber-like" sheen at a distance, it's only marginally better than those cheap Chinese "carbon look" cases on ebay.

Why has NO ONE pointed this out? Why do we keep calling it "carbon fiber" when it doesn't look anything like carbon fiber? Holding it up to a piece of real carbon fiber, it looks absolutely ridiculous.
    10-28-13 03:13 PM
    Very disappointed in the skin, especially after reading glowing reviews about them all over the place. Everything about fitment, included items, ease of install were all spot on. So what's the problem?

Upon opening the package and pulling out the skin, I was horrified to see...it's obviously not carbon fiber. It's just plastic with sipes running in opposing directions (some vertical, some horizontal) as opposed to actual weave. While it's nice that it gives it a "carbon fiber-like" sheen at a distance, it's only marginally better than those cheap Chinese "carbon look" cases on ebay.

Why has NO ONE pointed this out? Why do we keep calling it "carbon fiber" when it doesn't look anything like carbon fiber? Holding it up to a piece of real carbon fiber, it looks absolutely ridiculous.
    welcome aboard!!! I'm sorry the product is not what you expected...are you able to return it?
    10-28-13 07:02 PM
    You were actually expecting a stick on skin protector to be actual carbon fibre??!!

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 07:07 PM
    I don't think you will find real carbon fiber to stick to your phone. They have wood skins too and I can't imagine thinking the wood skins are going to be made of real wood. Unfortunately, I've tried almost all of the skins available and have found that they are all just about the same. Not very good. I can't figure out why some are more expensive than others since the expensive ones are just about as good/bad as the inexpensive ones.
    10-28-13 07:13 PM
    You know, their carbon fiber looking skins are just stickers. I ordered a couple and was underwhelmed.

But their screen protectors and plastic body skins are second to none.

Posted from the Shield Helicarrier on a Z30
    10-28-13 07:22 PM
    I figured it wouldn't be real carbon fiber, but I've seen some pretty convincing stickers. This skin, however, is just textured plastic.

No I can't/won't return it. It was cheap enough to use temporarily until I can find something else.

Just disappointed that no one has highlighted this in any previous review.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 09:03 AM