Hey guys,

Yesterday I bought my Z10. I'm living in The Netherlands and the Z10 hasn't released there yet, but lucky as I am I can drive to Germany in 30 minutes and the Z10 has been released there. I asked if the device came without a simlock, and the answer was: yes. Now here's the thing:

When I put my Dutch simcard in it, it says: Incompatible simcard. I got a new one from my provider (Vodafone) but same result. I also got a simcard with the BlackBerry as a special offer. If you buy a phone without a contract you get a Vodafone (German of course) prepaid simcard. When I put that one in my Z10, everything seems to work fine. So now I'm a little confused.

If there's a simlock, the German Vodafone card also shouldn't work, right? But why doesn't my Dutch simcard work, even after replacing it with a new one? Does anyone know what that message really means, 'incompatible simcard'?

Thanks for your help!
    03-10-13 01:02 PM
    I wouldn't know why, but from what I heard most z10s come locked. You can use c rack berrys unlock prices to unlock your phone, I dud and it worked well.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 01:45 PM
    Hey guys,

Yesterday I bought my Z10. I'm living in The Netherlands and the Z10 hasn't released there yet, but lucky as I am I can drive to Germany in 30 minutes and the Z10 has been released there. I asked if the device came without a simlock, and the answer was: yes. Now here's the thing:

When I put my Dutch simcard in it, it says: Incompatible simcard. I got a new one from my provider (Vodafone) but same result. I also got a simcard with the BlackBerry as a special offer. If you buy a phone without a contract you get a Vodafone (German of course) prepaid simcard. When I put that one in my Z10, everything seems to work fine. So now I'm a little confused.

If there's a simlock, the German Vodafone card also shouldn't work, right? But why doesn't my Dutch simcard work, even after replacing it with a new one? Does anyone know what that message really means, 'incompatible simcard'?

Thanks for your help!
    You bought a locked phone
    All you need to do is unlock it as the guy above says. there are many sites that can help you, just beware of frauds.
    03-10-13 01:48 PM
    Sounds like you device is locked. navigate to the sim card option and check whether your device is indeed locked. IF if needs to be unlocked you will see a tab "Unlock network". If it is unlocked you will see:

Network Unlocked
    Network Subset - Unlocked
    Service Provider - Unlocked
    jay_men likes this.
    03-10-13 01:50 PM
    Allright, but can it be locked to a national provider (i.e. Vodafone Germany, so you cannot use it in Vodafone Netherlands) ?
    03-10-13 01:56 PM
    Sounds like you device is locked. navigate to the sim card option and check whether your device is indeed locked. IF if needs to be unlocked you will see a tab "Unlock network". If it is unlocked you will see:

Network Unlocked
    Network Subset - Unlocked
    Service Provider - Unlocked
    I don't know where I can find that. Could you please tell where I have to navigate?
    03-10-13 01:58 PM
    I don't know where I can find that. Could you please tell where I have to navigate?
    you can use universal search and type "sim" OR

go to settings > security & privacy > Sim card
    03-10-13 02:06 PM
    Allright, but can it be locked to a national provider (i.e. Vodafone Germany, so you cannot use it in Vodafone Netherlands) ?

Unlocking shouldn't be much of a problem but seeing as the device is so new, sometimes the codes aren't yet submitted into the database and when you use an unlocking service they sometimes give responses as "code not found" etc. This should be sorted out soon (The unlocking process is much different that the previous BBRYs). IF your device is locked...you can try CrackBerryUnlocking.com ? BlackBerry Unlock codes, BlackBerry Unlocking, Unlock BlackBerry 10

Select OS 10 and then your carrier e.g. "Germany [Vodafone]".
    03-10-13 02:11 PM
    I have my non-working Dutch Simcard in the Z10, when using Universal Search the SIM option is greyed. I can navigate to it, but then I get this message: The SIM card isn't compatible with either the network or the device. For assistance contact your service provider.

Simcard is not compatible-img_00000023.jpg

Now when I put the German simcard in, I can go to the Sim screen and this is what is says:
    Network: Unlocked
    Network Subset: Unlocked
    Service Provider: Unlocked

Simcard is not compatible-img_00000024.jpg

And without a simcard installed, I get the same result:

Simcard is not compatible-img_00000025.jpg

So I have no option to put in an unlock code....
    Last edited by Sjnieboon; 03-10-13 at 02:40 PM.
    03-10-13 02:20 PM
    I have my non-working Dutch Simcard in the Z10, when using Universal Search the SIM option is greyed. I can navigate to it, but then I get this message: The SIM card isn't compatible with either the network or the device. For assistance contact your service provider.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000023.jpg 
Views:	1422 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	140327

Now when I put the German simcard in, I can go to the Sim screen and this is what is says:
    Network: Unlocked
    Network Subset: Unlocked
    Service Provider: Unlocked

Name:	IMG_00000024.jpg 
Views:	1415 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	140328

And without a simcard installed, I get the same result:

Name:	IMG_00000025.jpg 
Views:	1410 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	140331

So I have no option to put in an unlock code....

Ok... from the second screenshot --> your device is unlocked...you're good to go. Once you put in an active (working) simcard you shouldn't have any issues with another carrier once they use they same frequency as on you Z10
    03-10-13 02:43 PM
    Ok... from the second screenshot --> your device is unlocked...you're good to go. Once you put in an active (working) simcard you shouldn't have any issues with another carrier once they use they same frequency as on you Z10
    Yes but that is when I put the German simcard in. When I put in my Dutch simcard (I have to use that one), I get the first screenshot. I made those screens from my BBZ10... So now I'm really confused.
    03-10-13 02:46 PM
    Is the Dutch sim card valid? (does it work in another phone).
    03-10-13 02:49 PM
    Is the Dutch sim card valid? (does it work in another phone).
    Yup, tested at the Vodafone store (Samsung Galaxy S3). And I use it in my 9780 with some sort of adapter to let it fit.
    03-10-13 02:52 PM
    I have read online someone saying that the sim card itself can be locked to a carrier (never heard about this though). You can call your carrier and find out if this is in fact the case. Other's suggested updating the OS but i can't see this being the problem either...
    03-10-13 03:10 PM
    I have read online someone saying that the sim card itself can be locked to a carrier (never heard about this though). You can call your carrier and find out if this is in fact the case. Other's suggested updating the OS but i can't see this being the problem either...
    When I try to update the software over WiFi, it says that I already have the latest version of the software. I will hook it up to my pc and check if I can update the software. If not, I will contact my provider tomorrow (they are closed now). I will keep you updated.
    Thank you so far for your help and suggestions.
    03-10-13 03:34 PM
    When I try to update the software over WiFi, it says that I already have the latest version of the software. I will hook it up to my pc and check if I can update the software. If not, I will contact my provider tomorrow (they are closed now). I will keep you updated.
    Thank you so far for your help and suggestions.
    Ok, sounds good. I will keep at it to see if i find any other answer (this is quite odd)
    03-10-13 03:35 PM
    Just updated through BlackBerry Link but I get the same result. Guess that I have to contact Vodafone.
    03-10-13 05:43 PM
    Just updated through BlackBerry Link but I get the same result. Guess that I have to contact Vodafone.
    is the dutch sim different in size than the german one?
    if yes, is it customly trimmed?
    if yes, is there a case that it is not trimmed right, so the contacts do not sit in the right position?

hope it helps....
    03-10-13 11:33 PM
    Does your carrier have the right frequency for the z10 to operate on?

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    03-10-13 11:48 PM
    Does your carrier have the right frequency for the z10 to operate on?

I thought about that too... but wouldn't it say no service instead of not compatible/invalid sim?

I say this because on one carrier strangely enough i got only edge on my Z10, when i always got 3G on my 9900 (both phones Rogers). Then on a trip i used the same carrier and it only gave me edge. When i changed the frequency to use LTE/HSPA it just said "no service" but when on "2G / GSM" it worked...displaying "e" Edge.
    03-10-13 11:49 PM
    I thought about that too... but wouldn't it say no service instead of not compatible/invalid sim?
    True, but if sim was fine he could get no service too.

I am thinking sim card is not compatible for z10.

Is the Sim card a LTE sim card?

Call your carrier and ask for a new sim card or go to the store to get new sim card make sure it's a LTE sim card, even though u may not have LTE service in your area or country.

If they not have LTE sim, just ask for the latest sim card and see if that works.

03-10-13 11:56 PM
    I did a search and it looks like Vodafone Netherlands uses 900Mhz and 1800Mhz. This is available 2G on all Z10 models. But for 3G/HSPA its only available on STL100-1 and -2

To the OP tell find out your version of your Z10.

@xamdam OP did say he got a new sim from his carrier --> even tested it out on an S3
    03-11-13 12:06 AM
    I did a search and it looks like Vodafone Netherlands uses 900Mhz and 1800Mhz. This is available 2G on all Z10 models. But for 3G/HSPA its only available on STL100-1 and -2

To the OP tell find out your version of your Z10.

@xamdam OP did say he got a new sim from his carrier --> even tested it out on an S3
    I have a STL-100-2, so it should work fine in The Netherlands. I already have a new simcard, not cutted myself. That same simcard is now in my bold 9780 and works great...

Is the Sim card a LTE sim card?
    Are there special LTE simcards? I got a brand new one from Vodafone but don't know if this is the case.
    03-11-13 02:32 AM
    Update:
    Here at my job I have the opportunity to try a T-Mobile simcard (Dutch of course) and this works fine! So no simlock, and no other restriction. Just Vodafone that screwed up with their simcard... Hopefully they can provide me the correct simcard. Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it!
    03-11-13 04:34 AM
    Update:
    Here at my job I have the opportunity to try a T-Mobile simcard (Dutch of course) and this works fine! So no simlock, and no other restriction. Just Vodafone that screwed up with their simcard... Hopefully they can provide me the correct simcard. Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it!
    Vodafone made a mistake? I cannot believe it.
    Here in Greece they don't even know what a Z10 is...
    03-11-13 06:48 AM
123 123 ...