Hi all, i would like to ask if someone can provide a clearer picture on thr different network signals...

My Z10 STL100-2 have 2G 3G and 4G network selection and all the icons i got are the ff:
    ? 2G
    ? 3G
    ? E
    ? H+
    ? 4G

Is 2G and E the same? Which one is faster?

Is 3G and H+ the same? Which one is faster?

I never got LTE icon shown up but i see some users screenshot with LTE icon beside the signal bar. Can I assume that when i got 4G that is already LTE?

Z10 10.2.1.2977
    08-01-14 09:00 PM
    Generally speaking,

2G<EDGE<3G<H+<LTE

However, I've seen faster speeds on H+ networks than on LTE networks--it's possible. This can be due to bandwidth congestion, distance from cell towers, signal penetration, and other variables.

Depending on where you are, your phone may say 4G instead of LTE, but the two may be interchangeable. In the US, '4G' is (incorrectly, IMO) used for H+ networks, and '4G LTE' may be used for LTE coverage. Rest of the world does it better in referring to LTE as 4G, as LTE is closer to what 4G is actually supposed to be.
    Laura Knotek, Egvick and cosmotzr like this.
    08-01-14 09:53 PM
    There is also 3g which is different from 3G. EDGE and edge. H and h.

??

BBQ10
    08-02-14 12:14 AM
    Lower case letters indicates non-data (i.e. voice and text) coverage, while upper case are voice/text and data.
    Laura Knotek and cosmotzr like this.
    08-02-14 12:17 AM
    Lower case letters indicates non-data (i.e. voice and text) coverage, while upper case are voice/text and data.
    Really? I always got the uppercase on mine, and I thought there is data only when the BB logo appears in between the network and signal strength icons

Z10 10.2.1.2977
    08-02-14 04:48 AM
    Really? I always got the uppercase on mine, and I thought there is data only when the BB logo appears in between the network and signal strength icons

Z10 10.2.1.2977
    Turn off data, but keep radios on, you see lower case letter.
    3g means 3g is available, but turned off.
    3G means 3G is avilable, data on/used.
    Blackberry sign is BIS.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    08-02-14 05:06 AM
    BlackBerry symbol needs to be there to use BBM

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 09:11 AM
    Edge is is 2G but faster, primarily in larger cities and was intended as a stop gap for 3G.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-02-14 09:39 AM
    That's a BB thing/requirement. I know this was true for BBOS/BIS, but is this still true/required for BB10? I haven't really paid attention.
    08-02-14 12:06 PM
    "EDGE" (or "E", if there's not enough room in the network name area) and "2G" are actually the same thing. EDGE was only called "2G" retroactively once "3G" came along. At this point, it's up to whatever your carrier wants to call it.

Just like AT&T calls "H+" "4G" when it really isn't.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 02:21 PM
    What about Blackberry? Since the latest firmware was updated 2014 i would presume they use the correct symbol for the correct network signal right? So 4G is 4G and not a misleading H+, or does carrier has the capability to "change" the icon whatever naming convention the carrier want it to be?

If the former (blackberry way), then why my Z10 shows up 4G and never show LTE?

Z10 10.2.1.2977
    08-02-14 03:47 PM
    What about Blackberry? Since the latest firmware was updated 2014 i would presume they use the correct symbol for the correct network signal right? So 4G is 4G and not a misleading H+, or does carrier has the capability to "change" the icon whatever naming convention the carrier want it to be?

If the former (blackberry way), then why my Z10 shows up 4G and never show LTE?
    What your phone displays for network is a carrier setting. I meant the BB logo for connectivity is a BlackBerry thing. It used to be that it was an indicator of whether or not your were connected to BIS. Now that BIS is largely irrelevant for BB10, I wonder if this logo still has any meaning, and if so, what.
    08-02-14 04:02 PM
    The symbol has always meant that the device was connected to the BlackBerry infrastructure (BBI)

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 04:04 PM
    As we have learned over the past several months, BlackBerry phones are still relying on the BB servers greatly.

When you get the dreaded "limited or no Internet connectivity" notification, even on a wi-fi network that otherwise is working fine for everyone else, there is an issue at BlackBerry's end and the phone freaks out thinking there's no Internet and kicks you off that network. Michael Clewley of BB confirmed as much in a twitter exchange a few months back.

When everyone (or, at least most) had the sensor issue earlier in the year where nothing worked, BlackBerry had to do something on their end and we had to reboot our phones and all was back.

Our phones are apparently talking back to BlackBerry constantly, and that little BB logo is the sign of that connection.

It used to mean you're connected to BIS or BES in the legacy OS/phones, but it seems to mean much more now. In fact, maybe there was always more of a connection between the phones and the BlackBerry NOC than we ever knew.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 05:01 PM