Okay so when I first learned I could side load I did so with IG. I noticed a battery drain like crazy. Deleted it.

Added it back last night along with Pinterest. I haven't lunched the apps yet. Battery us around 20%. I'm usually around 40-50% at thus time. Anyone else having this issue?

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 05:53 PM
    I know Android apps tend to linger in the background like some sort of recurring disease (fitting...), so make sure to properly log out of them before closing. Skype has that problem.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-14-13 05:54 PM
    I think mine has been draining a bit faster once I started using WhatsApp.

But back to your problem.. Does your internal memory fill up? My "other data" goes full all the time. I just had to do a full wipe and back up. This is my second time. It could be Instagram or I have a bad phone.
    07-14-13 05:57 PM
    Unlike native apps at the present time, Android apps can stay running in the background and often do, causing battery life and device stability issues. (especially with various sideloaded apps, which are not subjected to testing by BlackBerry)
    07-14-13 06:30 PM
    If this is true it must be minimal for me. I use Instagram and Flipboard regularly throughout the day and the battery's performed the same as it has from day one. It's possible logging out of the app(s) may help though it would get annoying.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 06:45 PM
    Gonna try logging out of Instagram daily. I use it all day everyday and I have no other sideloaded Android apps. I always see my internal memories "other data" always going full. I already did 2 security wipes and did a restore once after one of those. Maybe I shouldn't restore the next time I have to do a wipe because of this issue.
    07-14-13 07:05 PM
    Logging out is a pain. I don't know how logging out would help, but I will look at that options.

It's weird because when I delete IG it was much better. My phone isn't even 30 days old so there's not enough on it to wipe it. LoL

Keep posting. I love the feedback. Come min BlackBerry. Give us an IG app!

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 07:14 PM
    If this is true it must be minimal for me. I use Instagram and Flipboard regularly throughout the day and the battery's performed the same as it has from day one. It's possible logging out of the app(s) may help though it would get annoying.

There are many variables and there are certainly well-behaved Android apps - tons of them in Blackberry World.

The problem is that most people don't have any idea what is going on "under the hood", and Blackberry basically doesn't document (to my knowledge) the Android runtime AT ALL, much less explain more technical details.

Specifically, there are all sorts of ways that software, the OS, the hardware and the user can interact in a vast array of potential combinations, which is why when someone just states: "battery life sucks", it doesn't even begin to define the real issue(s), much less lend itself to suggesting solutions.

Of course BB10 is more complex than any of its competitors in this respect too: none of the other platforms are running 2 completely different OS's side-by-side the way BB10 does.
    07-14-13 10:54 PM
    Without an app task manager to see what's running and using up data / battery, it's tough to tell who the offenders are.

Though I believe help is in 10.2

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 11:02 PM
    There's an android port (ironically) on BlackBerry World called TaskManager that shows android processes running in the background and kills them. Check it out seems to work well as it picked up a few things running on mine that I didn't know about.
    Mohamed Omar2 likes this.
    07-14-13 11:24 PM
    Skype is also an issue. I used Task Manager and found that it starts up in the background when the phone boots.

9700 > 9900 > Z10
    07-15-13 12:02 AM
    I have Instagram, and long holding the X to close the app, force close any app, and from what I've been told can stop the runtime aswell.

Every android app I do that for and have not see Frain since, minus ebay and Skype. deleted those

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 01:46 AM
    There's an android port (ironically) on BlackBerry World called TaskManager that shows android processes running in the background and kills them. Check it out seems to work well as it picked up a few things running on mine that I didn't know about.

I never bothered installing an Android task manager on BB10 until recently because I assumed the app sandboxing would make it pointless since it would only see its own process.

But i tried installing that app the other day after seeing someone describe it.

Lo-and-behold, sometimes it does indeed find and display other processes, but then sometimes it just sees its own process. Trying to figure out what causes that inconsistency.
    07-15-13 03:03 AM