Hi everybody, I'm new to BlackBerries and new to these forums.

I Googled my way here because I bought my first BlackBerry this week and wanted to know how to mute the shutter sound.

Yes, I read some of the previous discussions about this topic. Many pages of them, pro and con.

For me it comes down to this: There's nothing inherently wrong in taking pictures without a simulated shutter sound. I should at least have the option to turn it off.

Taking pictures in public is a not a nefarious activity. But sometimes you just don't want to have the sound play, especially when you have no control over the volume, or if you're taking more than one picture. It makes you look like a jackass and disturbs other people.

Think of all the possible uses and settings we have for taking pictures. There are endless situations where it's reasonable to mute the sound.

Of course camera phones can be misused. Anything can be misused. Someone could try to take pictures in a washroom, that's the example people always use. But if we take this approach when making the rules for everyone, we'd have to assume that everybody is guilty and put restrictions on everything.

The market is full of phones that take pictures without simulating shutter sounds. Many digital cameras also have this ability, and are small enough to be used anywhere, just like a phone.

If you want to talk about camera phones enabling bad behaviour, the bigger problem seems to be with people taking pictures of themselves and sharing them. Especially young people who don't think about the consequences. And that has nothing to do with images being stolen.

Even if there's a law in South Korea requiring shutter sounds, the rest of the world needn't be governed by it.

I used my old phone camera all the time and never gave a thought to this until I bought my BlackBerry. Now, every time I want to take a picture, I have to think about attracting attention to myself or disturbing other people. But I was already capable of making those judgments for myself. I don't need BlackBerry taking control away from me.

Some people say, 'What's the big deal?', and I'll admit that it's not a life-or-death matter. But then, why should I accept this when other companies let me be responsible for my own behaviour? I'm not a perv, I'm not a thief, I'm not a child. I just want to use the device I paid for without unnecessary restrictions.

I'm seriously considering returning my phone to the store. Am I just a bad fit for BlackBerry? Should I get an iPhone instead? I'm coming from an old feature phone, and I'm surprised that the BlackBerry can't do what it could. I expected it to be the other way around.

Anyone know if the Q10 has this same problem (or feature, depending on your point of view)?
    Arock10, fbloise and Dabida like this.
    04-30-13 01:44 PM
    Lol so you found all the other threads and posts but decided to start a new thread instead of adding to those?

Contacted a friend of mine that works at rim and no changes to the shutter sound.

:ducking for cover:

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    Spawn12 and fbloise like this.
    04-30-13 01:49 PM
    10.1 has a definite improvement in the sound of the shutter, but its still present and more then likely isn't going to ever disappear, or have an option to turn it off. Just the way BlackBerry decided to do it. Really nothing we as consumers can do about it, except complain to BlackBerry about it.
    aarty likes this.
    04-30-13 01:53 PM
    Lol so you found all the other threads and posts but decided to start a new thread instead of adding to those?
    The last discussion I found was closed; it wasn't possible to reply to it.

Do you think there will be a third-party app to enable what I'm looking for? I read it wasn't possible because of a technical limitation with 7.1. Has there been a change with the new OS?

I don't suppose it'll come in time before my time to return the phone runs out...
    04-30-13 02:00 PM
    Hi,

I think from all the other convos the most liked app option is silent foto available in app world.

I don't have it but recall some users complaining that the pic quality isn't the same using an app versus the native camera.

As mentioned above, don't see it changing anytime soon. If it's a deal breaker for you I wouldn't stick around as you'll lose the return option on your device and still won't be able to silence the sound. Just my opinion but after owing only blackberry devices its always been this way and I'd be shocked if it changed now.
    Good luck

04-30-13 02:09 PM
    If people look at you while shutter sound goes off just look right back at them eye to eye and keep looking till they look away. Straight face, no blinking

People should leave you alone about sound after this...

Posted via CB10 from Z10
    04-30-13 02:17 PM
    Much quieter in 10.1. but still embarrassing

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 02:18 PM
    If people look at you while shutter sound goes off just look right back at them eye to eye and keep looking till they look away. Straight face, no blinking

People should leave you alone about sound after this...

Posted via CB10 from Z10
    Yep, or pull a gun on you, depending upon where you live.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.0.10.85)
    TMHCB likes this.
    04-30-13 02:24 PM
    Just the way BlackBerry decided to do it. Really nothing we as consumers can do about it, except complain to BlackBerry about it.
    But I can do something about it...at least until Friday! (And maybe I'll attach a copy of my return receipt so someone at RIM can see it.)

Yesterday I was at the art gallery and I felt like a complete numbskull with my phone clicking away. Photography was allowed, but people within earshot acted like I was the biggest moron.

It's one thing to say, 'Ignore them.' But the thing is, until I had my BlackBerry, I would have thought the same thing: 'Turn off the sound, you jerk.' I don't think I want to deal with that on a long-term basis.

At this point I'm still leaning towards returning the phone. It's just too much money for something that adds a complication to taking pictures that I didn't have before.
    04-30-13 02:36 PM
    But I can do something about it...at least until Friday! (And maybe I'll attach a copy of my return receipt so someone at RIM can see it.)

Yesterday I was at the art gallery and I felt like a complete numbskull with my phone clicking away. Photography was allowed, but people within earshot acted like I was the biggest moron.

It's one thing to say, 'Ignore them.' But the thing is, until I had my BlackBerry, I would have thought the same thing: 'Turn off the sound, you jerk.' I don't think I want to deal with that on a long-term basis.

At this point I'm still leaning towards returning the phone. It's just too much money for something that adds a complication to taking pictures that I didn't have before.
    If you do decide to return it, please be sure to email the reason why to RIM. Always use the phone that works best for you
    04-30-13 03:13 PM
    Answer is that blackberry hates their users, thinks they know better than them, and does not value their opinion. There's a reason why their market share is so awful.

I know it sounds like I'm trolling, but really, proove me wrong.
    04-30-13 03:17 PM
    Good luck paul_moon!

04-30-13 03:19 PM
    I can't wait to see how Google Glass goes over with the paranoid of creepy people crowd. No one will even have to raise a phone again with those things, let alone hoping to hear a shutter sound.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2418223,00.asp

04-30-13 05:02 PM
    Shutter is necessary on all phones... people are always taking photos of others without permission... This will at least give the other person a chance to confront them

Kah
    04-30-13 05:10 PM
    Shutter is necessary on all phones... people are always taking photos of others without permission... This will at least give the other person a chance to confront them

Kah
    This prevents lawsuits aimed at BlackBerry. That is all.

CarGuy1368 likes this.
    04-30-13 05:32 PM
    If you haven't been informed, the latest OS seems to have lowered the shutter sound volume. I think this along with a well place finger over the speaker makes it acceptable in all but a library.
    04-30-13 05:54 PM
    I bought an app yesterday called Private Camera which is working just fine. 2 bucks in app world, it has good reviews!

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 05:57 PM
    In BlackBerry world there is an app called silent for. It's free and takes pics without the shutter sound. Problem solved.

BlackBerry Z10 and 32gb PlayBook
    04-30-13 06:04 PM
    Wow, 5 hours and barley any drama- yet. I'm going to make some popcorn just in case.
    Barljo and frannip like this.
    04-30-13 06:40 PM
    Wow, 5 hours and barley any drama- yet. I'm going to make some popcorn just in case.
    Stirring the pot! ;-)

Shutter noise didn't help either party in this case:

http://www.nydailynews.com/fired-tec...icle-1.1296841

04-30-13 06:53 PM
    As I've said before.

In the dev documents it clearly states developers must ensure shutter sounds in a few countries and lists Korea and Japan.

They leave it for all users because they have no way of knowing if you move to Korea.

Like BBRY I don't care what changing room your in that makes you want to silence the camera. They do it to sell more phones which benefits the rest of us.

Just to be clear, you said your leaving blackberry. Good great. Why are you still here? Please do us a favor and go to whatever platform you want.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 07:15 PM
    Look for silent foto app.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-30-13 07:19 PM
    In the dev documents it clearly states developers must ensure shutter sounds in a few countries and lists Korea and Japan.

They leave it for all users because they have no way of knowing if you move to Korea.

Posted via CB10
    Are all phones in Japan and Korea sold with a distinct shutter sound? Cos I know Samsung phones have the option of turning it off.

I'm ok with the sound. Been living with it since my 9800 days. But options are always welcomed, at least for me.

Posted via CB10
    teafordgang likes this.
    04-30-13 08:01 PM
    How would I know?

I don't know I don't use them. Maybe RIM got sued overseas or the cameras being sold here aren't available there. It's a simple feature and the API they made supports it. So its obviously by choice.

All you'll find on here is users. RIM lives on supportforums.blackberry.com

let me be objective for a moment in context of all that is said above...

Iphone - cant touch the base because of antenna
    Android - malware all over Google play
    BlackBerry - has a shutter sound

So which one should Icare about as a user?

Posted via CB10
    frannip likes this.
    04-30-13 09:51 PM
    With respect, I don't think that's a very thoughful response.

Every person with a camera has taken pictures of other people in public. It's normal, no permission is required, and there's no need for confrontation.

There are times when muting the shutter noise is preferable, however, and wanting to have that option doesn't mean that that person must want to do something dirty or creepy.

Like BBRY I don't care what changing room your in that makes you want to silence the camera.
    It seems to me that comments like this are the reason why those previous discussions became so uncivil. You may not agree with my point of view, but there's no call for you to suggest that I must be some kind of sexual predator. That's unfair and hurtful, and it rightfully makes people angry.

If you said that BlackBerry values its enterprise customers more than consumers like me, well, I can accept that. It's their prerogative after all. But I didn't deserve the personal insult.

Just to be clear, you said your leaving blackberry. Good great. Why are you still here? Please do us a favor and go to whatever platform you want.
    Unless I'm mistaken, I have as much a right to participate in discussions here as anyone else. I'm only three posts in and you're already telling me to go away? Thanks for the warm welcome
    ihys, spvsarah, CMcRob and 5 others like this.
    04-30-13 10:26 PM
203 123 ...