Moms are generally not intelligent enough to use high tech devices. This applies even more to "stay at home" moms. The Z10 demands a certain level of technical know how and using it to even 10 percent of its potential would be lost on your mom.

Get her an iPhone. It's stupid easy to use and it even looks like a toy.
    I'm not quoting this to argue your opinion. You have that right.

I'm quoting this to say that if I EVER said that to my mom (who has passed), she would've slapped the taste out of my mouth. LoL.

My mother would quickly let me know that if she is not interested in something technical, mechanical, or whatever, it is NOT because she is less intelligent! It would be because she may think it's too much trouble, not interested, or not worth her time, but NEVER that she was not intelligent enough. LoL.

We're talking about older people, not people with Alzheimer's Disease.

Older mother's deserve more respect and confidence than that, IMO.

Again, not to fuss with you, but just to say I believe the OP's mother can handle anything that her son can for sure if she wishes to.
    Elite1 likes this.
    09-07-13 06:47 PM
    Well
    My dad had a Nokia e5 too and it was the worse phone ever: confusing ui, inconsistent interface, he could barely make calls. I hated it when there was a problem, the settings were buried behind hidden menus.
    I've had the same situation - trying to find a buried setting on that E5. What a nightmare. Here I thought I was the only one ;-)

Bob
    09-07-13 06:49 PM
    If you gave her some grandkids, then she will LOVE the time shift camera. That feature will trump all else from any other platform for her.
    You are a deep thinker my friend. Thank you for the shift in perspective ;-)

Bob
    09-07-13 06:54 PM
    Buy your mother a BlackBerry Q5 and set-up her email, BBM, and any social networks that she uses. A 70-year old will appreciate the physical keyboard, especially the larger keys compared to the BlackBerry Q10.
    09-07-13 07:08 PM
    red Q5 is the way to go
    09-07-13 07:30 PM
    Can't understand all the talks about "BB10 has steep learning curve"
    In which way that "curve" differs from any other smartphone ?
    Gave my Q5 to try to various ages users everybody figured most of the thing by themselves.
    The only two things to show is swipe up and press'n'hold for more options.
    09-07-13 07:34 PM
    I just hooked up my mom 61, with a Z10 two weeks ago. She was previously carrying an old torch I had also given her. At some point her work decided to stop paying for BES/BIS service and so she was basically using it as a dumb phone (since it didn't even have wifi). That sucked because she is always traveling internationally for work and the only way to get a hold of her is when she fires up her laptop for Skype.

She was reluctant at first (more interested in the latest sewing machine and cross stitch patterns than technology, which she associates with work) but the Z10s are so cheap now that I didn't really care if she just threw it back at me in disgust.

Long story short, spent a few days giving her 'lessons' and reinforcing/quizzing her on the basics. After I loaded up Skype and she learned how to add a wifi connection, she was sold... no more having to fire up her laptop just for skype. She was slow on the keyboard (one finger), but appreciated the on-fret suggestions and quickly was relying on the flick typing much more than I ever have. At one point she said... "so, this is like a tiny computer."

....Moms....

Anyway, before she left I made a 16-page printed (on real paper!) 'guide' with screen shots, arrows, hand-written notes, colored highlights, etc. On how to do the very basics (gestures, answer/make calls, turn on/off, airplane mode, add a new wifi connection, view HUB, start a new email, use Skype, use BBM/voice/video, and take/view/share pics), and gave it to her.

We've bbmd regularly (mostly voice) ever since she left so at least I know she's still remembering to charge it... lol

Posted via CB10
    TangerineKandy likes this.
    09-07-13 07:35 PM
    My mom is 73. The first piece of touchscreen tech I got her was a PlayBook for mother's day in 2012. She caught onto that in less than a week. It pretty much caused her computer to become obsolete. Then she broke her feature phone in August and I got her a torch 9810.

So that thing keeps needing a reboot and she can't seem to get that's what she needs to do to fix it. She keeps picking up my Z10 when I'm not looking and playing with it. I'm thinking it would be easier for me to get her a Z10 then to keep trying to explain to her how to fix her 9810.

I think she'd pick it up fast like she did the PlayBook.

Mom's can learn. They like tech toys too. Even if they were born before 1950.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 07:42 PM
    Actually mum I'd using an iPhone 4s now... she is pretty happy with it but she actually misses her HTC! she likes having picture icons in her contact list as it is easier for her to see that way.

But I'm such a BlackBerry fan she thinks she might get a BlackBerry after. Question is, should I get her z10 or q10?

Does typing really becomes much easier or will having a big screen be more appreciated?

And yes mums can learn too!

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 08:19 PM
    Wait for the Z30 and get that for her. My mom is 70 and is rocking the 9900. I'm planning to get her a Z30.

Post via CB Z10
    09-07-13 08:28 PM
    My mum doesn't like big phones... she looks at my aunts with Samsung and she is like, they look ridiculous with such a big tablet on their head... lol..

since the z10 is so cheap now thinking of getting 2 for my parents anyway!

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 09:36 PM
    My mom is 75 and loves her Z10. Upgraded from a 9300.

BlackBerry Since 2006. Z10 Rogers, Halifax NS
    09-07-13 09:42 PM
    I don't think BB10 has any learning curve at all if there is somebody near to show how to use it for the first time.

One example, I gave my phone to one of my friends to play and refused to tell him how to use it. I noticed that he struggled. Then I told him the most important gesture is to sweep bottom up. In less than one minute, he totally got all basic skills and love the phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 09:56 PM
    My mom is 63 and had been using a 9780, then got the Q10. She basically just uses it for calls, texts, and to take pictures, then email them to herself so they're on her computer.

It really didn't take her more than a day or two to get used to BB10. Every once in a while she'll ask me how to do certain things on it, and I showed her that in many instances, to get more options, you just hold your finger down. This has been a big help for her in the Phone app, where you hold your finger down on a recent call, and it give you the option to text or call the person.

The Z10 should definitely be easier on your mom's fingers when she's typing. I have a Z10 too, and they keyboard rivals my Q10's in terms of how fast and accurately I type. If you get your mom a Z10, get a case too.

Posted via CB10
    I'm over 60. Z10's ROCK!!!

Trusted Member
    09-08-13 04:07 AM
    "Magnetic_dud;9134170

I gave to my parents a basic curve and they love it.
    It's simple enough to type, but still can have push mail and BBM with me.
    Battery lasts a long time, it turns off automatically by night so they don't need to remember to place the silent mode.

About BB10, I showed to my mom a Q10 and she was confused on how could use it, but I guess every smartphone would be confusing for them (except windows phone and those huge icons)

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

Good, solid advice!! This nails it!!!
    Last edited by M65c02; 09-10-13 at 06:26 PM.
    09-08-13 06:25 AM
    Well I'm glad when we hit a certain age we all don't become stupid as some seem to think lol. I think your mom would be fine.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    09-08-13 06:44 AM
    As much as I would like to say yes do it, I simply can't. My experience with 4 people (in their 30's and 40's) in my life who have hated the phone because its "too complicated" has made me realize that making such a recommendation is not something I am willing to do anymore.
    First off, it's not complicated and rather easy but people have been moulded over the years by clever marketing and are now resistant to change. In all honesty, as much as I would love for your mom to rock the z10, the iPhone may likely make a better choice. man I hate saying that.
    No, no, no...people havent really been molded over the years, per se, as much as people have simply always been inherently mentally lazy (actually physically too but leave 4 another discussion). This was the great appeal of the mouse and Windows over DOS (or even earlier the less mktd LISA over early AOS). Cant think of less efficient systems but for their mkt appeal to the average consumer--and sales is the name of the game for cell phones & computer gadgetry.

It's got to be off the shelf easy for the basic functions, or it wont sell in the volume needed to survive: This is the key...end of discussion. Any add-on functionality is icing on the cake that the vast, vast, vast majority of consumers rarely, if ever, touch. Still, they often want to know that the icing is there or, not too different, that others know its there. The latest, coolest phone even as a dumb phone plus facebook would suffice...the consuming public whether we like it or not.

Hey, some parallels: The closet full of ten minute exercise equipment, or gym membership rarely used after the 2nd month, or $100 super light running shoes for 30mins exercise a week, etc., etc. It's the initial appeal, not the concept of sitting down and learning or really sweating after more than a day, perhaps only an hour.

The single biggest sale point that finally brought the tech devices into the home: Dumb it down for the showroom and it sells.

The Z is a fun project ... for me (note the handle) ... but still, six months after intro, involves a degree of mental masturbation most are not willing to pursue--whether for time or intelligence. It us not out of the box ***** proof to the extent of the IPhones or Droids. It doesnt have the visual appeal of the Iphones or, for example, new Droid Motorolas, or Samsungs for that matter. [Note: These last few features make little difference to me but have more significance to about a Billion other people.]

Be nice to mom, for now, stay away from a tool and go with an Apple or Droid....as you've surmized.
    Last edited by M65c02; 09-10-13 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Typo
    09-08-13 07:07 AM
42 12