Hello there my name is Phil. I have been looking at the BB Z10 phone in White primarily because it is on sale at SHOPBB.COM for only $199!!! I have NEVER owned a smart phone and have been looking at them for about a year now. That being said, for an unlocked phone $199 is not a bad price. Trying to avoid those 2-year contracts. Here locally(42420 zip code) both Verizon and AT&T is very prevalent. The deal on the BB Z10 is for the GSM model only. Hence, it looks like I will be going with AT&T or T-Mobile. Going the pre-paid route. So, can anyone here give me some advice as to whether the BB white Z10 GSM model is a good buy? I am not aware of ANY phone with the features/quality of a white BB Z10 in that price range. However, I am a bit concerned about ALL of the problems people have been having with the Z10. Could it be from a bad batch? Is that why BB is discounting the "white" only Z10's? Sorry, but I am new here but have been reading the forums for a good while now. Finally, decided to join CB! Please help if YOU can offer me some good advice. Thank YOU for YOUR time.

Cheers,

Phil
    07-25-14 08:22 PM
    For $200? Do it.

Oh, welcome to the forums!

1st smartphone ever? BB10 is a gesture based OS - no physical and mostly no virtua command buttons - so you may find it a tad strange for... about 15 minutes.

GMS is fine. The Z10 is a 4G LTE device, so not being CDMA has absolutely no impact on it, besides not working on CDMA networks.

Not sure what are "all the issues" you're talking about though. Most BB10 issues can be solved in a way or another, are getting fixed on 10.3 or are major flukes triggered by weird app behaviour. Only real issue is that battery life may be a tad too short if you're a heavy user.
    Blacklatino and Phildog47 like this.
    07-25-14 08:24 PM
    Thanks, but can YOU explain to me why YOU say that? I forgot to mention that I really like white phones. Oh, does the GSM model limit me to AT&T and T-mobile? In other words, are YOU aware of any other GSM carriers out there? Was hoping Straight Talk was one of them, but I have been told it is NOT GSM.
    07-25-14 08:28 PM
    Hey there !

Got my white Z10 at the beginning of June .
    Have had zero issues with it so far.
    Find it top notch and a real bargain for the price.
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-25-14 09:01 PM
    Thanks, but can YOU explain to me why YOU say that? I forgot to mention that I really like white phones. Oh, does the GSM model limit me to AT&T and T-mobile? In other words, are YOU aware of any other GSM carriers out there? Was hoping Straight Talk was one of them, but I have been told it is NOT GSM.
    Straight Talk would be fine. They are and MVNO that resells AT&T's network so all phones that would work on AT&T will also work on Straight Talk.
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-25-14 09:02 PM
    Hello there Phil,
    The deal you have is amazing, don't give it up
    It's hard to find a white z10 for that price and that device is a beauty!
    Don't worry, you will get used to phone and start loving it!
    My mom had never used a smartphone before her z10 and now she is crazy about it!
    But be warned, YOU CAN'T USE an android or an iPhone after using this device as you will find this device too amazing to give up

Posted via CB10
    Phildog47 and MrDoreth like this.
    07-25-14 09:05 PM
    My local Walmart told me that Straight TALK uses Verizon's network which is CDMA. Did they give me incorrect info? I sure wouldn't be surprised. My neighbors claim to have a lot of dropped calls and they use AT&T. So, I am a bit leary of using them. But, there is not much choice. Verizon is better albeit more towers, but the BBZ10 in whiite is GSM ONLY! People tell me T-mobile is not very good either where I reside. BTW, I am not a heavy user and have played with the Z10. I really liked it because it is NOT too big and I like BB10 OS. The HUB is awesome! I am familiar with some of the BB10 OS gestures. 10.3 looks very promising to say the least.
    07-25-14 09:24 PM
    I bought my z10 off shopblackberry 2 months ago. They will send you the stl100-3 version because it's unlocked. The stl100-1 has the most problems. Long story short, if you get any z10 model except the stl100-1 you will avoid problems as the stl100-1 has some different hardware than the rest. That's what I've researched on crackberry so far.
    07-25-14 09:35 PM
    My local Walmart told me that Straight TALK uses Verizon's network which is CDMA. Did they give me incorrect info? I sure wouldn't be surprised. My neighbors claim to have a lot of dropped calls and they use AT&T. So, I am a bit leary of using them. But, there is not much choice. Verizon is better albeit more towers, but the BBZ10 in whiite is GSM ONLY! People tell me T-mobile is not very good either where I reside. BTW, I am not a heavy user and have played with the Z10. I really liked it because it is NOT too big and I like BB10 OS. The HUB is awesome! I am familiar with some of the BB10 OS gestures. 10.3 looks very promising to say the least.
    Yeah, the person at Walmart was incorrect. I worked for AT&T for 3 years and I can assure you Straight Talk is reselling the AT&T network.
    07-25-14 10:19 PM
    Yeah, the person at Walmart was incorrect. I worked for AT&T for 3 years and I can assure you Straight Talk is reselling the AT&T network.
    It is good to know that the White BB Z10 will work on the STRAIGHT TALK network. That being said, they are cheaper. Probably not 4G LTE either, but I don't care. I can mostly use wifi for most of my downloading needs. Will look into it further. Thanks for ALL of YOUR help. The same goes to ALL those that replied to my first thread. I will pull the trigger soon. The White BB Z10 is looking awful good at this point. How long will it be before 10.3 is officially released? Have any ideas? The deal with Amazon looks interesting to me.
    07-26-14 03:12 PM
    Good to hear you're going for it ! Keep us updated .
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-26-14 03:44 PM
    I use tmobile on the $30 plan with 5gb of data and unlimited text only drawback is 100 minutes but I use Bbm to talk and line as well so it doesn't use up my minutes it's a great plan but you can use straight talk with the att service mvno you'll be fine btw the z10 is a great phone at the price

Tmobile 10.2.2976
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-26-14 04:28 PM
    When blackberry offered the discount a while back I went ahead and got a white Z10 factory unlocked.

I could get the updates and not dependent on carrier release from AT&T.

If you do decide to buy it, get a battery bundle as well just in case you are a heavy user.

I have not had any regrets since I got the phone.

Black Carbon Fiber Z10
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-27-14 02:42 AM
    I gave up my Galaxy Note 3 for the Z10. The stability of the OS alone will have you hooked. BlackBerry is back and here to stay

Posted via CB10
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-27-14 02:59 AM
    Well, there are some very positive reviews in this thread. Clearly, some folks have been totally smitten with the Z10 and bb10. Nice reading. Obviously, it is not for everyone.
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-27-14 08:58 AM
    To be honest, I find myself quite liking the Z10. I use the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 as my daily driver as it has a few special options not available with other phones (only phone with working bar code scanner for all my stored loyalty/gift cards). I picked up the Z10 recently for a really good price. I haven't used the Z10 for almost a year and now (gf uses one everyday for work) and the improvements made to the OS have greatly benefited the overall user experience! I feel the OS now is very fluid, with great overall device response times with whatever I seem to be doing. I now like using the Z10 and now have it as my second/backup phone.

$200 for a brand new unlocked Z10 is an awesome deal for this quality device!

Posted via CB10
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-27-14 09:40 AM
    The z10 is not a bad phone, main issue would be battery life. However 199 is too steep. It was going for 169 not too long ago. For under $200 I'd say the Asus zenphone 5 is a much better buy. Brand new design vs an ageing 2 year old one that's out of production.
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-27-14 10:34 AM
    The z10 is not a bad phone, main issue would be battery life. However 199 is too steep. It was going for 169 not too long ago. For under $200 I'd say the Asus zenphone 5 is a much better buy. Brand new design vs an ageing 2 year old one that's out of production.
    Where was it selling for $169 ?
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-27-14 10:45 AM
    Where was it selling for $169 ?
    Brand new from eBay. Seller had about 250 units. Google the z10 forum, someone posted it a few weeks ago. Who knows the seller might have more stock now.
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-27-14 10:48 AM
    When blackberry offered the discount a while back I went ahead and got a white Z10 factory unlocked.

I could get the updates and not dependent on carrier release from AT&T.

If you do decide to buy it, get a battery bundle as well just in case you are a heavy user.

I have not had any regrets since I got the phone.

Black Carbon Fiber Z10
    Yeah, I am aware of the battery issues. However, I will NOT be a heavy user at all. At least, until I get more used to the Z10 anyways. Have found some good deals on battery/charger bundles on both Amazon and Ebay. Or, do YOU recommend getting it straight from SHOPBB.com? I am sure it would be much safer that way. Never know what YOU are going to get from Ebay. Have had very good luck with Amazon in the past though.
    07-27-14 06:35 PM
    I gave up my Galaxy Note 3 for the Z10. The stability of the OS alone will have you hooked. BlackBerry is back and here to stay

Posted via CB10
    Wow! Giving up a Note 3 is really impressive. I just bought me a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and love it. Still learning how to use it....hahahahah! That is really saying something if YOU honestly gave up YOUR Note 3 for a BB Z10. Do YOU use AT&T or T-mobile?
    07-27-14 06:37 PM
    Well, there are some very positive reviews in this thread. Clearly, some folks have been totally smitten with the Z10 and bb10. Nice reading. Obviously, it is not for everyone.
    Yeah, the BB Z10 is not for everyone. However, for my needs I think it is plenty good enough. This would be my first smartphone. I am not aware of any other phone with the hardware/build quality better than the Z10. If there is I would love to hear about it. Sure, there are some mid-range phones out there that are so so. But none stack up to the White Z10 for $199! Just saying............
    07-27-14 06:43 PM
    You should. I say if you waited a year, just wait two more months and watch the price drop even further.
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-27-14 06:44 PM
    Good point regarding a (2)-year old design. However, with the 10.3 release right around the corner is a good sign that it is still worth considering. Keep in mind, that I am just now learning about how smartphones function. Yes, I have read up on them, but until I have one in my hand on a daily basis it is very hard to tell just how beneficial they really would be to me and for my needs. If I wasn't so afraid of a (2) year contract, then I would look into the like of the Galaxy S5 or the new LG G3. Both of which are over kill for my needs.
    07-27-14 07:00 PM
    The z10 is more than capable of doing anything other phones do and on top of that the OS is better and you have more security with blackberry don't let "reviews" tell you what works for you. I find other OS's to be clumsier with having to push buttons to get back to your home screen.

Tmobile 10.2.2976
    Phildog47 likes this.
    07-27-14 07:36 PM
63 123