Is there a way to do this... "at all"?

Thank-you.
    Last edited by JediTWang; 04-13-13 at 09:09 AM.
    04-13-13 02:19 AM
    The Battery Guru app has an option to keep the Z10 awake as long as Battery Guru is kept full screen. Some navigation apps try to keep the Z10 awake while running full screen.
    JediTWang likes this.
    04-13-13 02:29 AM
    The Battery Guru app has an option to keep the Z10 awake as long as Battery Guru is kept full screen. Some navigation apps try to keep the Z10 awake while running full screen.
    Cheers buddy, so this is the only approach that you're aware of, thus far?
    It's supposedly one of the main obstacles impeding anandtech from releasing their (extensive) review.
    So if there's a "less restrictive" approach, that'd be ideal...
    Although admittedly, I don't see how what you've suggested would be too limiting for their testing.
    Then again, I'm not (yet) fully familiar with their regimen, so it may be fine.
    Last edited by JediTWang; 04-13-13 at 06:21 AM.
    04-13-13 06:05 AM
    There was a post here about getting into the engineering screens.. maybe there is a setting in there that can be used?

Yeah.. from the ZED on CB10
    JediTWang likes this.
    04-13-13 10:06 AM
    There was a post here about getting into the engineering screens.. maybe there is a setting in there that can be used?
    Yeah.. from the ZED on CB10
    So, the Anandtech reviewer claims that BatteryGuru isn't suitable...
    But (so far) prefers not to engage in any of the threads I've started on his behalf to explain:

1)
    How (in detail) it is unsuitable for the testing regimen planned
    2)
    Whether that regimen is exactly the same as what's been used for recent major reviews

If the answer to 2) is yes, I'm yet to see how the app would be a "showstopper" for completing the regimen.
    But giving this person the benefit of the doubt, can someone please point to this other (riskier) solution?
    I'll do some digging soon myself, but if someone knows the entire process "off-the-bat", that'd be great!
    04-14-13 01:37 AM
    So, the Anandtech reviewer claims that BatteryGuru isn't suitable...
    But (so far) prefers not to engage in any of the threads I've started on his behalf to explain:

1)
    How (in detail) it is unsuitable for the testing regimen planned
    2)
    Whether that regimen is exactly the same as what's been used for recent major reviews

If the answer to 2) is yes, I'm yet to see how the app would be a "showstopper" for completing the regimen.
    But giving this person the benefit of the doubt, can someone please point to this other (riskier) solution?
    I'll do some digging soon myself, but if someone knows the entire process "off-the-bat", that'd be great!
    The way you use the word regimen stings...

Anyways, try AIR Browser, it should do as well.

I have no idea what "Anandtech" is trying to do and to what extent they are trying to "test" the Z10 but whatever it is, the "reviewer" should point it out so we can try and help more precisely, because what I'm getting is that he's trying to test how far the Z10 can shoot a rocket with its battery power.
    cjcampbell and wazzugrad like this.
    04-14-13 03:50 AM
    No BlackBerry device I've ever seen allows the screen to be kept turned on for more than 5 minutes even when on the charger. This can be overridden by applications such as navigation, video media players and diagnostic apps. If the reviewer is unwilling to present their review findings because they don't want the device to work the way it does work, I can't fix their problem.
    04-14-13 06:44 AM
    No BlackBerry device I've ever seen allows the screen to be kept turned on for more than 5 minutes even when on the charger.
    My Torch 9800 has this option from factory and to this day, sits in it's charger running the clock. I loved being able to keep it on while charging and for the life of me, can't understand why it's such a big deal to implement.
    04-14-13 07:29 AM
    Really? I've been able to do this with my last two BBs using an app.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 08:45 AM
    It's fine for context in which it's being used, English is a very flexible language, not as rigid some.
    Culturally it may not sound right in one part of the Anglosphere, but if one can get past that, it's no big deal.

on-topic:

In what way is this a better option than BatteyGuru?

I have no idea what "Anandtech" is trying to do and to what extent they are trying to "test" the Z10 but whatever it is, the "reviewer" should point it out so we can try and help more precisely, because what I'm getting is that he's trying to test how far the Z10 can shoot a rocket with its battery power.
    That's part of the problem here, I'm trying to help the guy help himself, but so far he's nonplussed.
    Time will tell if he decides to ENGAGE & elaborate...

This can be overridden by applications such as navigation, video media players and diagnostic apps.
    What about this (potential) approach/sol'n....
    This is AT we're talking about, they certainly aren't n00bs, they'll dot their I's & cross their T's again & again to mitigate risk.

If the reviewer is unwilling to present their review findings because they don't want the device to work the way it does work, I can't fix their problem.
    No, I think you misunderstand here, perhaps I haven't explained clearly enough yet...
    04-14-13 11:02 PM
    Apparently all that's needed by Anandtech, is a way to keep the screen on while the browser's in the foreground.
    Apparently they've already checked eScreens thoroughly, & couldn't see any way to keep the screen on...
    Although supposedly the primary reviewer only has the Z10 for a few days at a time, before it rotates to someone else.
    04-14-13 11:58 PM
    If that's what they need, it's not likely possible.

What they may want to do is have someone whip up a little test app for them, which enables the keep-awake feature (in the same manner as Battery Guru does) but which provides them with the web browser component as the primary (or entire?) content on the screen. Then they can load whatever page it is they presumably want to load, and it will sit and run without the screen going off, indefinitely.

Of course, it's not testing the system browser app per se, but it seems likely to me that, for their purposes, this would solve the problem.

If someone points them my way, I could probably do that for them pretty quickly and easily. So could many other devs.
    JediTWang likes this.
    04-17-13 08:17 PM
    If that's what they need, it's not likely possible.

What they may want to do is have someone whip up a little test app for them, which enables the keep-awake feature (in the same manner as Battery Guru does) but which provides them with the web browser component as the primary (or entire?) content on the screen. Then they can load whatever page it is they presumably want to load, and it will sit and run without the screen going off, indefinitely.

Of course, it's not testing the system browser app per se, but it seems likely to me that, for their purposes, this would solve the problem.

If someone points them my way, I could probably do that for them pretty quickly and easily. So could many other devs.
    Thank-you very much for the offer, you're best-off approaching them on Twitter here: @nerdtalker
    It'd be interesting to see what his reaction is to this offer, if you could also update here it'd greatly appreciated!?
    Either way it doesn't matter, just the fact that you can approach & offer this is more than enough.
    Last edited by JediTWang; 04-21-13 at 01:46 AM.
    04-18-13 01:06 AM

I'm loving your use of quotes.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 01:10 AM
    Thank-you very much for the offer, you're best-off approaching them on Twitter here: @nerdtalker
    It'd be interesting to see what his reaction is to this offer, if you could also update here it'd greatly appreciated!?
    Either way it doesn't matter, just the fact that you can approach & offer this is more than enough.
    I've sort of got my hands full, especially today when I hear from people who are installing the leaked 10.1 that some of my apps don't work properly on it.

I'm afraid that means I'm not currently in a position to go out of my way and approach them. As I said, any dev could probably do what they need, so if someone just suggests it to them, maybe they can put something together themselves.
    04-21-13 07:14 AM
    I'm afraid that means I'm not currently in a position to go out of my way and approach them. As I said, any dev could probably do what they need, so if someone just suggests it to them, maybe they can put something together themselves.
    It's cool, Brian (anandtech senior mobile editor) fancies himself as somewhat of dev, so supposedly he's going to try & "whisk up" something himself 1st. BUT, apparently he'll definitely approach you if he has no luck or is taking too long. Going by how long they've been dragging things out so far WRT a fully published review, it could be a while before he approaches you, if ever. As for me, I'm done with trying to assist him with this, it's done when it's done, which I suspect is a very long way off (if at all). If anyone knows of other devs who may be interested in pro-actively helping*, please do advise. This isn't even one of my primary communities, was just trying to help AT finish-off their interpretation of this platform. As their (usually very thorough) assessments are often quite "weighty", especially amongst the vanguard of enthusiasts.

*assuming Brian would even be interested in that, frankly I have my doubts
    Last edited by JediTWang; 04-21-13 at 10:13 AM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-21-13 08:23 AM
    Pay someone to keep their finger on it.

Posted via CB10
    jrohland likes this.
    04-21-13 09:53 AM
    Is there a way to do this... "at all"?

Thank-you.
    There is one tool you can use to keep on at all times...its called your finger!
    04-21-13 09:55 AM
    Maybe this will work

04-21-13 10:06 AM